Menu

Live online classes

I was hoping we could start a list of Live online courses for high schoolers.  I know of a few - please share if you have more resources. Next year I'm looking for online LIVE physics for my dd.  I know some of the resources below offer it but does anyone know of anyone I might have missed?

The Lukeion Project for Latin/Greek/Classical studies

Kolbe Online Academy

Landry Academy

Myhomeschoolmathclass.com (which I can personally attest has been great for my two)

Homeschool Connections (I have used their live courses and found them to be very good)

HSLDA Academy

PA Homeschoolers for AP classes

Virtual Homeschool Group

Home2Teach writing courses

Derek Owens math and science

Memoria Press Online Academy

Veritas Press Online Academy

The Well Trained Mind Academy

IEW Online classes

Surely there are more I'm missing.   Please add and if you are familiar with the courses please offer your thoughts as well.  I think I'll be outsourcing quite a bit next year.

Thanks,

JoAnne

• Like 2

Wilson Hill Academy

They have been great for Math for us: Geometry and Algebra 2 so far.  The teachers are top notch and really care about their students.  They have quite a few other classes as well which other forum members kids have taken.

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 1

Derek Owens online classes are not live (at least Calculus) but are recorded lectures.

Some PA Homeschoolers classes may have live components but most are generally asynchronous.

Art of Problem Solving has live math and computer science classes. Dd has taken a couple classes.

The Potter's School has live classes beginning in middle school. Dd took Arabic 1 from them.

• Like 1

Also Classic Academic Press. My youngest is in Latin 4 this year with them, and we're very happy. She will not be doing Latin 5 because she's not doing the AP, but will finish with 4 years of high school Latin.

We've been completely happy with live classes from Veritas Press. Mine have take various Omnibus, Latin, math, and art classes from them. Next year will be art, math, and psychology.

My oldest did Lukeion Latin 3 and 4. For tough, AP-track Latin classes, they were wonderful. We decided not to put my youngest on an AP track for Latin because of other AP interests.

Asynchronous AP classes with PA Homeschoolers have been great. Tough indeed, and asynchronous requires a motivated student. My youngest really wants to return next year as one of the "helpers" for Mrs. Inspektor. She adores her!

La Clase Divertida High School Spanish 1-3. This has been a great course for my dd.  She's in Span. 3 right now.  There was a steep learning curve with the workload when she first started but it was a great learning experience and she grew as a student because of it.

MyHomeschoolMathClass.com  This is Jann in TX's class.  My dd had her for Geometry and Alg. 2.  If she taught higher levels, we'd still have her as a teacher.  Jann offers great instruction and great extra support if needed.

ETA...I realize I've used the word "great" a few too many times here so I'll add positive, challenging, supportive, solid, encouraging...all this applies to both of these courses.

Edited by samba

Algebra-based physics class with Clover Creek, fellow board member who is a passionate teacher, very reasonable fee for 2 semesters, provides extra word problems, assigns labs and projects, has around 3 quizzes per month, 1 test per month.

CLRC, small class size, and I mean, really small, so if you are interested in a language class, there is going to be plenty of time to converse. And anyone interested in Arabic, there is now Arabic 1 and 2 using Mastering Arabic with a native teacher from Egypt.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Center for Lit - Literature classes

Wasko Lit - Literature Classes

Bravewriter - Writing classes

Homeschool Connections -  Online and pre-recorded classes 

Roy Speed's Shakespeare classes

By the Onion Sea - Russian literature and language courses

Alexandria Tutorials  - writing, great books

Artesian Wells  - Latin and great books

Regina Coeli

Torrey Academy  - Logic, Writing, Great Books/Worldview

Onlineg3

Paideia Institute - Latin and Greek

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

s/o question ... which of these(s) online providers formed out of the Landry collapse?  Are Big River and Excelsior using old Landry Teachers?  I guess I would feel more comfortable working with a new 'school' if the teachers have been teaching online for a while.

I have found the teacher will make/break the class - or the fit of the teacher and the student.

s/o question ... which of these(s) online providers formed out of the Landry collapse? Are Big River and Excelsior using old Landry Teachers? I guess I would feel more comfortable working with a new 'school' if the teachers have been teaching online for a while.

I have found the teacher will make/break the class - or the fit of the teacher and the student.

Yes, former Landry teachers are at:

Excelsior

Big River Academy

My Fun Science

AND Bethany Barnosky (from Landry) does Informal Logic (AoA), Formal Logic and math independently and at My Fun Science.

http://www.candlestarservices.com/online-classes/

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

Yes, former Landry teachers are at:

Excelsior

Big River Academy

My Fun Science

AND Bethany Barnosky (from Landry) does Informal Logic (AoA), Formal Logic and math independently and at My Fun Science.

http://www.candlestarservices.com/online-classes/

Adding on, former Landry teachers have also ended up at:

Open Tent Academy    http://www.opententacademy.com/

The Academy at Bright Ideas Press    https://academy.brightideaspress.com/

Just a reminder that HSLDA Online Academy does have blurbs about how much experience each teacher has.  Of special note, you can see who the 'master teacher' is and try to sign up for a class under that individual if the schedule works for you.  And if you p'm me, I will give you a special code for $30 off as a discount for those new to this academy. 

We used it this year for English 2 and AP World History; we'll be continuing with it for English, AP U.S. History and adding math this upcoming fall as my ds benefitted so much from all he learned this past year.

Brenda

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2017 at 8:42 PM, SilverBrook said:

Angelicum Great Books Academy has a live two hour discussion class with moderators. My kids have enjoyed these.

http://www.angelicum.net/great-books-program/

Their 2 hour classes are part of their Great Books Program [GBP] for 9th grade to adult. Their GBP can be taken for college credit.  They also have Socratic Discussion classes for the earlier grades and various other online classes including Greek and Latin.  They have recently begun a relationship with The Great Courses [called the Great Honors Program] which I don't know much about but includes, I believe, assessments for each Great Course lecture.