Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW7: be my valentine!

Robin M

I just finished an enjoyable contemporary romance ~ Marilyn Pappano's A Chance of a Lifetime (A Tallgrass Novel).

This book is the fourth or fifth in the Tallgrass series, and I've enjoyed them all.  While the book could stand alone, it works best if one reads the books in order as many characters from previous books continue to play a role here.  As with the other books in the series, two storylines (two separate couples) are included.

"Sometimes love finds you when you least expect it . . .

To Benita Ford, Tallgrass, Oklahoma, will always be home. It's where her beloved grandmother raised her and where she rode bikes with her two best friends-the man who became her husband and Calvin. And Tallgrass is where she stayed, even after her husband died while serving his country. Now Calvin is home from that same war, and the sensitive, mischievous boy she once knew is today a man scarred by wounds no one else can see. Falling in love with him is something Bennie never imagined.

Tallgrass still haunts Captain Calvin Sweet. Yet it's where he must go to see Bennie-the one woman he always loved but could never have. Calvin regrets so much about what happened years ago. Still he can't deny being with Bennie makes his future feel bright, like anything is possible. But the demons of his past won't be quieted that easily. As old hurts linger, threatening to pull them apart, Calvin and Bennie must take the ultimate risk for the love of a lifetime . . ."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Hi All

I finished two books this week, but nothing nearly as complex as you all are reading. I had seen that The 5th Wave was coming out as a movie, and the trailer looked fun, so I picked up the book and its sequel, The Infinite Sea.

They are, um...candy books. Twaddle for the nearly grown and grown. Kinda stupid, actually, but interesting enough that they piqued my curiosity and I wanted to see how they would turn out, so I read them in 4 days or so.

I am mostly thru My Antonia, and when you compare the three books, you can just see how lovely MA really is.

My dd and I took turns reading beautiful passages to each other today, she from Jane Eyre and me from My Antonia.

I love to share books this way!

• Like 16

I am slowly coming back into the world after my baby's birth a little over a week ago. Abigail Therese was born on Feb. 5, 7 lbs 11 oz, 20 inches long, with lots and lots of dark hair with really surprising blonde highlights. She also almost certainly has Down Syndrome. We are waiting on the test results, but it is highly unlikely that they will be negative. This was quite a shock as I had had no prenatal testing and there were no markers on my ultrasound. She does have some heart defects which may require surgery, but as of the moment, she is doing really well. I, of course, have shifted my reading to all Down Syndrome related titles, as I found I knew next to nothing about it. I am not sure how much I will be able to participate going forward, but I have to say that right now it is nice to have my Goodreads feed to scroll through at the end of the day just to have something a little normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome, Abigail! I hope you are all doing well.

Welcome Abigail Therese!  And hugs to Angelaboord and her family.  If you think some snail mail might be cheering in the months ahead, you might want to add your name and address to the BaW mail list.  Just send the info in a PM to Robin or me.

I shall be curious to hear your comments on Hills, Eliana.  That volume solidified for me a feeling that Forster truly loved India. 

In thinking about the caves as a metaphor in Passage, I stumbled across an article in the Guardian that I think may be of interest to my fellow Forster readers.

That was an interesting article. It makes more sense to me now why the novel seems to lack cohesiveness.

Edited by MaeFlowers
  • Like 12

Hmmm.  Despite almost a week of gestating, I'm afraid I'm still not ready for prime time re: Passage.

I dunno about the Duke thesis that "the novel advances an indeterminate ethics of alterity that prefigures the insights of Emmanuel Levinas and Jacques Derrida..."  I don't think that's my challenge -- I actually don't have the vaguest idea what that even MEANS, lol.

But.  (Spoiler alert)

Starting with the jackal/ hyena/ ? scene, I as a reader carried a perspective that Adela and to a lesser extent Mrs Moore carried a nagging anxiety/unsettled feeling of not-quite-acknowledged guilt that they hadn't bothered to stop and investigate.  And I kept thinking we'd come back and resolve, or at least address, what had happened.  And we didn't.

So when we got to the caves -- and Mrs. Moore has her first, not-disastrous-but-nearly-so, encounter with the baby's bottom, and she was rattled but not quite unmoored (no wisecracks kareni) by it, I experienced her experience as taking her back to that earlier, not-investigated-still-unsettled episode.  Things aren't necessarily what we assume.  She didn't quite lose it at that point, but she was too rattled to go on... and she never really returned to her (amiable, Christian, self-assured) self.  For me, when she ran away (as surely, she did) she was running away from the muddle of complicity, of standing by rather than chasing down the truth (which, as a reader, we exasperatingly don't know, of either event) and standing up for it even in the face of her community norms.  

And when Adela had her (ambiguous) cave experience -- whatever happened, she too was carrying that nagging anxiety/unsettled feeling of not-quite-acknowledged guilt.  At first she was swept along by prevailing norms / community outrage... but then ultimately (not through a cerebral decision, but in a swept-up-in-the-moment-compulsion) she kinda-sorta did the right thing, except not really fully, since it never occurred to her, on her own, to apologize to Aziz or even acknowledge the time he spent in jail falsely accused.  (OT but: I have to believe jail, then, there, was pretty dang miserable.  Forster doesn't really go there, and I can't quite figure out whether he expects us to fill in the blanks, or not.)

And then: what do we think about Aziz' (generous, unrecognized and unthanked, spot-on) assessment, that in not pressing Adela for damages, he allows her to retain her fortune so that she can attract a mate; and thereafter, his (mournful, equivocal, spot-on) assessment that Fielding will go forth and marry her for just that reason?  The Muslims are the hopelessly helplessly emotional ones who can't penetrate the veil of cold logic?

The first third, I read as about encounters of individuals across cultures (and the immense difficulties of achieving real connections across the divide)... but the rest of the book, I increasingly read as about encounter between individuals and their own blind spots / complicity / challenges between doing (or at least trying to do) the Right Thing vs going along with prevailing community expectations.

Thank you, Jane.  I expect I'll remember it better thirty years from now...

I didn't know what that quote meant either. It's good to know I am not alone.

I hadn't thought much about the accident. Your interpretation is interesting and I now feel the need to go read it again.

Aziz just kept getting on my nerves more and more. He came across as temperamental and self-serving to me. I know I should feel sorry for him having spent time in jail, but I just don't.

Edited to add: The whole reason I got online was to add that I had finished book 7, Welcome to Night Vale. :glare:

Also, I would like to read a romance novel. I never read these because I'm not a romantic. I do however enjoy more subtle love stories. I like the relationship between Mary Russell and Sherlock in Laurie King's books. Any recommendations?

Edited by MaeFlowers
  • Like 10

I am honored! 

I read The Dress Shop of Dreams last January; I enjoyed it and hope you do, too.

Regards,

Kareni

Oh, dear. Must I say I loved it? I can say it was....likable. I'm not anti romance books. I just don't enjoy that genre much. I also do not enjoy mysteries much either. So this book was likable. I actually enjoyed the story line of the cop and ex-wife the best. The love story between Walt and Cora drove me crazy. Sorry, but those flashbacks of when they were children....what 5 yr old speaks like that? Her dialogue for children was too erroneous for me to even consider it being plausible. That tainted the whole story line for me. Then Walt's little tantrums...yeah. Let's just not talk about that. Loved the stuff about the dresses though. Clothing really does have the power to make one feel less than worthy or fabulous.   

I still need to process Passage, but now the teenager needs breakfast.  ("Again?  Didn't I just feed you yesterday?"  lol)  And I'm worried we'll be stuck in a blizzard on our return.  Sigh.

No, no, you're doing it wrong. My teen makes me breakfast. 

I finished a book today: Answers to Questions Teachers Ask About Sensory Integration.  This is the most succinct book of questionnaires, checklists, and classroom accommodations that I have seen.  I've read fairly extensively on sensory processing disorder, and this is the first time I remember reading helpful information on sensory based postural disorder.  It's something rarely covered separately; it tends to get lumped into dyspraxia if it's mentioned at all.  Anyway, this was a truly helpful book and the questionnaires are what we were given during intake for occupational therapy. I recognized them. ;)

ETA: that was book #11 for me for the year

Thanks for posting this. Sounds like a book I need. 

• Like 11

I am slowly coming back into the world after my baby's birth a little over a week ago. Abigail Therese was born on Feb. 5, 7 lbs 11 oz, 20 inches long, with lots and lots of dark hair with really surprising blonde highlights. She also almost certainly has Down Syndrome. We are waiting on the test results, but it is highly unlikely that they will be negative. This was quite a shock as I had had no prenatal testing and there were no markers on my ultrasound. She does have some heart defects which may require surgery, but as of the moment, she is doing really well. I, of course, have shifted my reading to all Down Syndrome related titles, as I found I knew next to nothing about it. I am not sure how much I will be able to participate going forward, but I have to say that right now it is nice to have my Goodreads feed to scroll through at the end of the day just to have something a little normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations to you and your family and hello to little Abigail. You have been blessed beyond measure with your daughter who will see life In a unique way. My son who has aspergers has taught me so much and I wouldn't want to change our life in any way. You have many shoulders here to lean on through the tough days as well as the miraculous days. Hugs and love and many bright wishes and prayers to you and yours.

Welcome Abigail Therese!  And hugs to Angelaboord and her family.  If you think some snail mail might be cheering in the months ahead, you might want to add your name and address to the BaW mail list.  Just send the info in a PM to Robin or me..

Yes, please do!

• Like 14

They are, um...candy books. Twaddle for the nearly grown and grown. Kinda stupid, actually, but interesting enough that they piqued my curiosity and I wanted to see how they would turn out, so I read them in 4 days or so.

Sometimes you just need twaddle, something fun you can finish quickly. Brain candy. Junk food. It can be very enjoyable. :)

I am mostly thru My Antonia, and when you compare the three books, you can just see how lovely MA really is.

My dd and I took turns reading beautiful passages to each other today, she from Jane Eyre and me from My Antonia.

I love to share books this way!

I really love Cather's writing.Though I loved everything of hers I read,  My Antonia is still my favorite 

In thinking about the caves as a metaphor in Passage, I stumbled across an article in the Guardian that I think may be of interest to my fellow Forster readers.

That was an interesting article, Jane. Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 12

Regarding The Dress Shop of Dreams

Oh, dear. Must I say I loved it? I can say it was....likable. I'm not anti romance books. I just don't enjoy that genre much. I also do not enjoy mysteries much either. So this book was likable. I actually enjoyed the story line of the cop and ex-wife the best. The love story between Walt and Cora drove me crazy. .... Loved the stuff about the dresses though. Clothing really does have the power to make one feel less than worthy or fabulous.   

Nope, you do not need to say that you love it; I didn't.  It's actually incredibly rare for me to say that I loved any book.  I'd agree that it was likeable.  I recall thinking that it was a book with an element of magical realism, and I think the dresses are a good illustration of that aspect.  While the book has a strong romantic element, I wouldn't classify it as a romance.  I see that the publisher categorizes it as 'Women’s Fiction | Literary Fiction.'

Also, I would like to read a romance novel. I never read these because I'm not a romantic. I do however enjoy more subtle love stories. I like the relationship between Mary Russell and Sherlock in Laurie King's books. Any recommendations?

I haven't read the Laurie King series you mentioned, so I'm operating somewhat in the dark here.  I read and enjoyed  In the Bleak Midwinter which is the first book in a mystery series.  The two main leads are an Episcopalian priest (her) and a Chief of Police (him).  While I've only read the first book, my understanding is that their relationship builds over the course of the series.

Often those more subtle relationships develop over the course of a series rather than in a single book and often they occur in books that (once again) aren't strictly classified as romances.  I found this new blog post by Rachel Neumeier, author of fantasy and young adult fantasy, which has some suggestions that might work if you enjoy books in the science fiction and fantasy genres.

Two top-five romance lists for Valentine’s Day by Rachel Neumeier

Her first list is of "... five SFF romances that are particularly slow to develop" while her second list includes what she describes as subtle romances.  My adult daughter reads in those genres.  She agreed with the inclusion on the lists of the books and series with which she is familiar.  Those include Lindsay Buroker's the Emperor’s Edge series, Naomi Novik's Uprooted, and Megan Whalen Turner's the Queen's Thief series.

[Just a note, this book is currently free to Kindle readers ~ The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker]

I hope this is of some help!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

In honor of romance week, I can say I read Four Queens -- mostly due to the fact that a romance writer I dearly enjoyed in my college years, Roberta Gellis, wrote a number of romances in that time frame (and also to BaW'ers recommending it of course).   Although really I read the first half of it for that reason,  the second half was really due to the fact that my older DD, a struggling reader, has latched onto Robin's bingo and we are now having a lovely little reading bingo 'competition' and I could use it for my number in the title square.  

DD is reading far more this last month than she has in some time and with no prompting or urging AND has been willing to consider and read titles she would have turned her nose up at otherwise -- so a big thank you to Robin!!

• Like 12

Welcome to baby Abigail and many hugs to mama. 

I've had to abandon A Passage to India.  It had been on my list for a long time, but it's going to stay there a little longer. It's not holding my attention at all, mainly because other books are pulling my attention away.   I've also abandoned several audiobooks, and am going back to David Copperfield on that front.  Only 23 hours left!  :svengo:

I made my son very happy by finishing The Way of Kings this week.  He had read it on the strong recommendation of a friend and wanted badly for me to read it (and like it).  It took months - I believe my start date was around July 15.  (Thanks Goodreads.)  Epic fantasy is not my genre, though I've tried many books (because people I love enjoy it so), but I think I figured out why.  So much of it starts off very bleakly - with war or famine or other devastating happenings. Compare with The Fellowship of the Ring, which begins with a party.  Sure, there's something looming, but... there's a party!

Anyway, it's done and there is a 2nd book, which we have, but...  not ready for it yet.  Need to start Anna Karenina for my book group.  And carry on with all that homeschool reading. 

1.  Basin and Range, John McPhee

2.  Austenland, Shannon Hale

3. The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry, Gabrielle Zevin

4. The Lady in the Van, Alan Bennett

5. In Suspect Terrain, John McPhee

6. Jamaica Inn, Daphne duMaurier

7. A Dangerous Mourning, Anne Perry

8. Girl in Hyacinth Blue, Susan Vreeland

9.  Defend and Betray, Anne Perry

10. Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlitt

11. The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

Edited by marbel
  • Like 13

Yesterday I read, The Magician's Elephant, it is our book club book(for the book club I'm starting for my son). I really enjoyed the book, it is by DiCamillio I love how she weaves magic into reality. I made several notes and questions as I went and am excited to share this with the kids. Ds is reading it now.

I also started Wild by Strayed, I'm loving this so far, her story is immensely interesting and she really is an engaging writer. I made a bit more progress on The Last Child in the Woods, I told dh I'm interested in the topic and still I'm having a hard time, I don't like the style of his writing and some of his conclusions leave me scratching my head. He makes this big case about how important it is for kids to have free and independent time outside, he talks about how we have a culture of fear which makes us think the world is unsafer than it is but when he talks about taking his own kids outside he sounds like an overprotective helicopter parent- making sure his kids are within hearing range and always have cell phones. I'm raising my kids with access outside like I had and cell phones aren't part of that equation. I'm thinking this reads like a guide from someone from the city, it comes off as false and staged. I have enjoyed the bits about programs that are integrating the natural world into education and the effects of nature(or the lack thereof) on people but I don't know if I can slog through the rest.

1. The Crystal Cave- Stewart

2. The Hollow Hills- Stewart

3. The Last Enchantment- Stewart

4. The Wicked Day- Stewart

5. Younger Next Year for Women

6. Very Good Lives- Rowling- very, very, extremely short

7. The Once and Future King- White
8. The Lost Art of Walking
9. Move Your DNA
10. The Wild Trees- Preston
12. The Magician's Elephant
Edited by soror
  • Like 9

Hrm...

Lore Segal's Lucinella, republished by Melville House in their "The Contemporary Art of the Novella" series, just grabbed me initially. There is a quirkiness to the book that tickled me, a self deprecating humor that was amusing. Magical realism moves the plot in interesting (and quirky!) ways and I could handle that.  But the last third or so?  Wow. Not sure where the book was going.

At first I thought this one was headed to Crstarlette because of the poets and critics who form the cast of characters.  Then I wondered if Stacia should receive it because of magical realism in a 1970's New York setting, something she might find to be fun.  Now I am disappointed so I don't know quite what to do with it.  Would either of you two care to weigh in?

• Like 9

I also started Wild by Strayed, I'm loving this so far, her story is immensely interesting and she really is an engaging writer. I made a bit more progress on The Last Child in the Woods, I told dh I'm interested in the topic and still I'm having a hard time, I don't like the style of his writing and some of his conclusions leave me scratching my head. He makes this big case about how important it is for kids to have free and independent time outside, he talks about how we have a culture of fear which makes us think the world is unsafer than it is but when he talks about taking his own kids outside he sounds like an overprotective helicopter parent- making sure his kids are within hearing range and always have cell phones. I'm raising my kids with access outside like I had and cell phones aren't part of that equation. I'm thinking this reads like a guide from someone from the city, it comes off as false and staged. I have enjoyed the bits about programs that are integrating the natural world into education and the effects of nature(or the lack thereof) on people but I don't know if I can slog through the rest.

I want to re-read The Last Child in the Woods. I read it too quickly. I am very into using natural materials in my preschool classroom, "bringing the outside in," as educator Bev Bos would say. I belong to several FB groups that show the incorporation of natural materials and nature time to be helpful in teaching. 

I find the outdoors to be a place of many connections. I'm a Christian, and love the psalms which talk about the natural world "proclaiming" God; I think time outdoors for children (and adults) is important for many reasons, not the least being that it connects us to God and reveals God.  Anyway, I liked what the author had to say, for the most part, but agree that parts were clunky.

Thanks for letting me discuss a bit about something important!

(Just finished Wild, too--really liked it!)

• Like 11

I want to re-read The Last Child in the Woods. I read it too quickly. I am very into using natural materials in my preschool classroom, "bringing the outside in," as educator Bev Bos would say. I belong to several FB groups that show the incorporation of natural materials and nature time to be helpful in teaching. 

I find the outdoors to be a place of many connections. I'm a Christian, and love the psalms which talk about the natural world "proclaiming" God; I think time outdoors for children (and adults) is important for many reasons, not the least being that it connects us to God and reveals God.  Anyway, I liked what the author had to say, for the most part, but agree that parts were clunky.

Thanks for letting me discuss a bit about something important!

(Just finished Wild, too--really liked it!)

OH, please share the sites you follow or any book recs. After a false start last year I'm again trying to start a nature study class. I'm entirely fascinated with the idea of integrating nature with schooling and forest schools. Being outside, like many things makes me wish I was a writer. It is healing, it is vital, it is grounding, freeing, a balm, an escape, it just makes my heart happy :) 

• Like 10

Jane, thanks for the offer. I think I may pass on it at this time. (I tried reading the first page or two online & it didn't draw me in.)

I've started Anne Morrow Lindbergh's North to the Orient.

9780156671408.jpg

In 1931 Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh set off on a flight to the Orient by the Great Circle Route. The classic North to the Orient is the beautifully written account of the trip.

Some neat info & cool pics of their trip are here: http://www.charleslindbergh.com/history/orient.asp

• Like 9

OH, please share the sites you follow or any book recs. After a false start last year I'm again trying to start a nature study class. I'm entirely fascinated with the idea of integrating nature with schooling and forest schools. Being outside, like many things makes me wish I was a writer. It is healing, it is vital, it is grounding, freeing, a balm, an escape, it just makes my heart happy :)

Nan should weigh in on this topic.  Instead of doing biology with her kids, she did natural history.

I think I may have some materials for you, Soror. Let me take a look later this afternoon.  At the moment though I want to take advantage of the pleasant weather and get on my bike!

• Like 10

Nan should weigh in on this topic.  Instead of doing biology with her kids, she did natural history.

I think I may have some materials for you, Soror. Let me take a look later this afternoon.  At the moment though I want to take advantage of the pleasant weather and get on my bike!

Wonderful, take your time. I've read some from Nan, need to do more searches. I'm getting ready for a nice tromp through the woods myself :)

• Like 9

Regarding The Dress Shop of Dreams

Nope, you do not need to say that you love it; I didn't.  It's actually incredibly rare for me to say that I loved any book.  I'd agree that it was likeable.  I recall thinking that it was a book with an element of magical realism, and I think the dresses are a good illustration of that aspect.  While the book has a strong romantic element, I wouldn't classify it as a romance.  I see that the publisher categorizes it as 'Women’s Fiction | Literary Fiction.'

Oh, dear. So I didn't even manage to read a romance? Well, at least that book can be my "Picked based on Cover" square. So, now I will ask you to suggest a romance for me. It will be my "Picked by Friend" square. I do not care for magical realism much. However, I did love The Night Circus. Not sure if that's magical realism and/or romance. I found it to be terribly romantic. I do not like Sarah Addison Allen or GH (I will use initials to avoid booing and hissing from this crowd). If you say Twilight or Outlander I may have to visit your home and have a serious talking to you. ;)

So wanna pick my romance? 

• Like 7

Oh, we did nature study for many years. I found this site to be very helpful. I didn't know if she was even still active, but it seems she is. It also looks like there's a membership now, but there's still a fair amount of free information. I did buy a couple of her e-booklets. I don't remember if I had to secularize any of it (or if that's even an issue for you) but if I did it wasn't hard.

http://handbookofnaturestudy.com/

Here's the Getting Started and Nature Study 101 info:

http://handbookofnaturestudy.com/2011/01/outdoor-hour-challenges-getting-started.html/

http://handbookofnaturestudy.com/2011/01/nature-study-helps-and-hints.html/

I didn't use the Handbook of Nature Study for much more than ideas but I did get several other nature study type books, including ones specific to my state. I tried blogging but was never very good at keeping up with it. My blog apparently is still there. Here are the books we used. Notice there's a mix of local and general ones. If you happen to browse the blog you'll see how we used Dingo, our recently deceased dog, as part of our nature study. He really was such a good dog. So patient and sweet.

http://floridamom-nature.blogspot.com/2008/08/formal-nature-study.html

http://floridamom-nature.blogspot.com/

Huh. Apparently that was supposed to be my garden blog, then I turned it into a nature study blog, then I abandoned it. I just don't think I was meant to be a blogger. I never journaled either, and I think you have to have a penchant for journaling in order to want to keep up a blog. 

• Like 10

Oh, dear. So I didn't even manage to read a romance? Well, at least that book can be my "Picked based on Cover" square. So, now I will ask you to suggest a romance for me. It will be my "Picked by Friend" square. I do not care for magical realism much. However, I did love The Night Circus. Not sure if that's magical realism and/or romance. I found it to be terribly romantic. I do not like Sarah Addison Allen or GH (I will use initials to avoid booing and hissing from this crowd). If you say Twilight or Outlander I may have to visit your home and have a serious talking to you. ;)

Ooh, a challenge/invitation.  Yes, I'd be happy to make a suggestion or three.  I'm heading out the door in a few minutes but will be back later with a response.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Oh, we did nature study for many years. I found this site to be very helpful. I didn't know if she was even still active, but it seems she is. It also looks like there's a membership now, but there's still a fair amount of free information. I did buy a couple of her e-booklets. I don't remember if I had to secularize any of it (or if that's even an issue for you) but if I did it wasn't hard.

http://handbookofnaturestudy.com/

Here's the Getting Started and Nature Study 101 info:

http://handbookofnaturestudy.com/2011/01/outdoor-hour-challenges-getting-started.html/

http://handbookofnaturestudy.com/2011/01/nature-study-helps-and-hints.html/

I didn't use the Handbook of Nature Study for much more than ideas but I did get several other nature study type books, including ones specific to my state. I tried blogging but was never very good at keeping up with it. My blog apparently is still there. Here are the books we used. Notice there's a mix of local and general ones. If you happen to browse the blog you'll see how we used Dingo, our recently deceased dog, as part of our nature study. He really was such a good dog. So patient and sweet.

http://floridamom-nature.blogspot.com/2008/08/formal-nature-study.html

http://floridamom-nature.blogspot.com/

Huh. Apparently that was supposed to be my garden blog, then I turned it into a nature study blog, then I abandoned it. I just don't think I was meant to be a blogger. I never journaled either, and I think you have to have a penchant for journaling in order to want to keep up a blog. 

Thank you for the links! I used the McCoy's nature study site when I started out with nature study with my son and was just looking on there the other day pondering if I wanted a subscription now that we are back in it again and going strong. She has so much good stuff on there and still keeps adding. Looking at your blog now, so many pretty flower pictures. I used to have a blog too and posted some nature study stuff but like you evidently I'm not cut out for it. I wish we had a dog to come with us, sounds very lovely, our cat comes some but cats are far more tempermental.

• Like 8

How often do you find lists of TBR books that you have forgotten? I have a list on my phone that I completely forgot was there. I just found it. More books to the never ending TBR category. 

I can't imagine what you're talking about.  That's never happened to me.

Just. Kidding.

bwahahahahahahah

PS really I just have too much fun now that I've learned how to use the spoiler button.  

Rose, it's like this.  Up on the icon shelf, third from left (reading: mystifying light switch, mystifying pill capsule, then a little picture-like icon?  Hit the picture-like icon.

This will bring up a very intimidating official-looking thing called BBC code.  Scroll down the BBC code options and lo and behold! one of the options is "spoiler."  Hit that.

This will open up a new box, saying something like "enter the text to be masked."  Do that.

Mazel tov! You DID it!

• Like 10

honestly there are just so many questions.  For starters,

what's with the Mother's LIttle Helper icon?

and the brain with a splotch over on the far right?

and just how many of y'all are posting your BAW comments to your Twitter feeds?

Kareni will have more.  I'm confident.

• Like 9

Robin, Last December we had a conversation regarding planning for reading about India. I mentioned hunting for a Shukriyya recommendation that sounded wonderful but I couldn't remember beyond it had a pretty cover. Unlike many of you I am highly visual, my mom used to take me with her to used book shops to show her which Harlequins she had already read, I sorted by cover art.

I have continued my search and am relatively confident the author is M.M. Kaye. I think the book is The Far Pavilions but Shadow of the Moon is a close second. In honour of my search I am currently reading the first in her mystery series titled Death in Kashmir. Good so far and very different setting. I never associate skiing with India. Thus far (20%) the book has a bit of a Christie feel....may turn in to a locked room. Isolated ski chalet where murder is going to happy really soon. ;)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1040250.M_M_Kaye

That author and book sound very familiar.  Also looks quite good as well.  Looking forward to hearing how Death in Kashmir turns out.   I love the covers and those alone make me want to read the books. 

Kareni, I want to join the chorus of appreciation for your write-up... and of sympathy for the disrespect often shown to romance readers.  It doesn't make much sense - there is formulaic writing in every genre, there is escape reading in every genre.... and every genre has its fans and those who just don't connect with it...

I read (some) Heyers with pleasure, but other than that have bounced off of the romance genre fairly consistently.  I am still puzzled by it, and will probably try again some day to see if there are exceptions.  (Though it is hard to find modern romances I can comfortably try since I don't like to read direct descriptions of physical attraction.

Which reminds me: I was reading a Q & A on Jo Walton's Goodreads page and discovered that I am not as normal I thought I was.  I am, apparently "demisexual"

From a demisexual resource website:  "a sexual orientation in which someone feels sexual attraction only to people with whom they have an emotional bond."  which I'd always thought was how most people were, but the site says:

"Most people on the non-asexual side of the spectrum feel sexual attraction regardless of whether or not they have a close emotional bond with someone. They may have sexual feelings for attractive people on the street, classmates or coworkers they’ve barely spoken to, or celebrities. However, they may choose to wait to have sex for a variety of reasons: it might not be feasible or appropriate, they want to make sure the person is respectful and kind, it’s against their religious beliefs, they only want to have sex in a romantic relationship, etc. The difference is that demisexuals don’t start out with these sexual feelings at all."

...which I guess makes the kilt threads and some other discussions here make more sense.  I've always been confused by them.  ...and I wondered if this is one reason romances as a genre are such a failure for me, and Heyer is an exception, because Heyer doesn't talk about physical attraction directly at all, the emotional bond, and the fluffy story line, are the focus in a way that works for me as comfort reading and that romance novels hit the wrong note on....

Okay, I learned something new today.  Fascinating.

In honor of romance week, I can say I read Four Queens -- mostly due to the fact that a romance writer I dearly enjoyed in my college years, Roberta Gellis, wrote a number of romances in that time frame (and also to BaW'ers recommending it of course).   Although really I read the first half of it for that reason,  the second half was really due to the fact that my older DD, a struggling reader, has latched onto Robin's bingo and we are now having a lovely little reading bingo 'competition' and I could use it for my number in the title square.  

DD is reading far more this last month than she has in some time and with no prompting or urging AND has been willing to consider and read titles she would have turned her nose up at otherwise -- so a big thank you to Robin!!

:hurray:     I'm tickled pink and it makes me very happy to hear she's diving into reading more. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 11

I dove into another Jayne Castle aka Jayne Krentz Rainshadow book -- Siren's Call.  Also in the middle of One Hundred Years of Solitude and Joan Didion's essays Slouching towards Bethlehem.  Enjoying my intro to Didion so far. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 12

Regarding Pam's thesis I offer an article from the Duke University Press, an academic journal piece that deftly demonstrates the reason I never became an English major! The abstract is in the spoiler below.

I finally had a chance to read the article more closely. It definitely puts a different spin on the scene. When I read it, I admit I just thought of it as a device to show some of the wildness and out of control feeling of India, plus the danger for Indians to show the British around, and then I promptly put it out of my mind. I can see now how it works with the green bird. That scene stuck in my mind because it seemed out of place, but I had no idea what to make of it at the time.

The author of the paper stated that the wasp was just background, but I disagree. The fact that it came in, fell asleep, and was left there symbolized to me the invasion of outdoors and wildness into even "safe" spaces, and how comfortable the wasp was to simply enter and sleep.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 9

My reading has been focused on work and homeschooling.  Not a bad thing, but not meeting my goal of more fluff and escapism in my life.

I reread Conrad's Heart of Darkness as well as Achebe's famed critique, An Image of Africa.  I also started Achebe's Things Fall Apart.  With another teen I am working on the Yoga Sutra.

And Kareni--

I have not read a romance novel in years.  But tomorrow I have a six hour drive.  Alone.  In a car wired for bluetooth.  So....I downloaded a Pamela Clare romance.  I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like 13

Abigail Therese was born on Feb. 5

Welcome to the world little lady!

Heather: I hope you are getting over your cough!

It's almost gone.  Thanks for asking!  Now my husband and middle two kids have colds and I've told them if they even think about sharing it with me they'll be in big trouble!

• Like 12

Robin, Death in Kashmir was very good. Now that I am done I would say more of a Mary Stewart feel. Good story/mystery in a well described exotic local with a bit of very proper romance. Perfect for the young teen girl. Looking forward to more in the series but not sure if the main character continues. From the one I glanced at I think they are stand alones.

• Like 10

And Kareni--

I have not read a romance novel in years.  But tomorrow I have a six hour drive.  Alone.  In a car wired for bluetooth.  So....I downloaded a Pamela Clare romance.  I'll let you know how it goes.

I look forward to your report!

Okay, I'm back.  I'm tempted to say Twilight or Outlander so that you'll come to my home, and I'll have the chance to meet you in person.

I've been pondering what you said.  Three suggestions that are definitely romances ~

1.  Delicious by Sherry Thomas (this has a slight element of magical realism)

"Famous in Paris, infamous in London, Verity Durant is as well-known for her mouthwatering cuisine as for her scandalous love life. But that’s the least of the surprises awaiting her new employer when he arrives at the estate of Fairleigh Park following the unexpected death of his brother."

2.   Untie My Heart by Judith Ivory (I'd classify this as being quite romantic)

"Stuart Aysgarth, the new Viscount Mount Villiars, doesn't know he's playing with fire when he inadvertently runs afoul of Emma Hotchkiss. True, the exquisite Yorkshire lady is a mere sheep farmer, but she also guards a most colorful past that makes her only more appealing to the handsome, haunted lord. Emma has come to him seeking justice -- and Stuart is determined that she will not leave until she has shared her secrets ... and his bed. Her clever revenge scheme must fail in the face of his soft words and tender caress -- and then he turns the tables on his bewitching adversary, seducing her into a daring deception of his own ..."

3.  Bone Deep by Bonnie Dee (this one has a circus connection)

"Love sees deep below the surface.

In the aftermath of WWII, widowed Sarah is dragged to a carnival by friends where she’s riveted by the unearthly gaze of the tattooed man in the freak show. When this sensitive soul hides in her hayloft after escaping imprisonment by the evil carnival owner, Sarah shelters Tom on her farm. Deeply drawn to the quiet yet powerfully magnetic man, Sarah fights her attraction while learning about his mysterious past and gentle nature.

When a child goes missing, Tom uses his psychic gift to find her, but his assistance doesn’t stop the locals’ mistrust of such an exotic stranger. Small-town prejudice tears the lovers apart and a very real threat from the carnival owner endangers them both. Can Tom and Sarah rise above obstacles of fear and hatred to create the family both have always craved?"

and (it's not romance rather it's fantasy, but I want to recommend it anyway!)

4. Poison Study (Soulfinders Book 1) by Maria V. Snyder

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. Shivers, obsession, sleepless nights—these are the results not of one of the milder poisons that novice food-taster Yelena must learn during her harrowing job training but of newcomer Snyder's riveting fantasy that unites the intelligent political focus of George R.R. Martin with a subtle yet potent romance. Through a stroke of luck, Yelena escapes execution in exchange for tasting the food of the Commander, ruler of Ixia. Though confined to a dank prison cell and doomed to a painful death, Yelena slowly blooms again, caught up in castle politics. But some people are too impatient to wait for poison to finish off Yelena. With the help of Valek, her steely-nerved, cool-eyed boss and the Commander's head of security, she soon discovers that she has a starring role to play in Ixia's future—a role that could lead to her being put to death as a budding magician even if she hits each cue perfectly. The first in a series, this is one of those rare books that will keep readers dreaming long after they've read it.

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Also, a couple of blog posts that might be of interest in the books that aren't romance realm ~

Debut Fiction: If you like The Night Circus….

What I'm Reading: The Night Circus

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I replied earlier in post #108, but, after more thinking, I have some one volume romance recommendations that might suit.

My Sweet Folly by Laura Kinsale

"My dear girl! I could never fall in love by letter. Though I have no doubt you are a notorious breaker of hearts, not to mention a princess in disguise, and if I were a few miles closer to Toot-above-the-Batch I would be in great danger. From the safe distance of another continent, I will admit to a modest desire to see how your pearl becomes you, even to know the color of your hair and eyes, but this is mere curiosity, I assure you. —Your knight, Robert

Through their innocent correspondence, a lonely young wife grows to love an imaginary man thousands of miles away. But when Folie finally meets him in truth, reality is turned upside down. She cannot find her own cherished Robert in the frightening stranger who claims her love."

and

Morning Glory  by LaVyrle Spencer

"LOVE IN A STRANGER'S EYES...

ELLY

In town, they called her "Crazy Widow Dinsmore." But Elly was no stranger to their ridicule--she had been an outsider all her life, growing up in a boarded-up old house under the strict eye of her eccentric grandparents. Now she was all alone, with two little boys to raise, and a third child on the way.

WILL

He drifted into Whitney, Georgia, one lazy afternoon in the summer of 1941, hoping to put his lonely past behind him. He yearned for the tenderness he had never known, the home he'd never had. All he needed was for someone to give him a chance.

Then he saw her classified ad: WANTED--A husband. When he stepped across Elly Dinsmore's cluttered yard, Will Parker knew he had come home at last ..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I've continued reading my way through my library's collection of Zentangle books.  Today I read four books which is not as impressive as it sounds as each of these books is 20 pages long.  I enjoyed them all.  (I see there are newer versions of these books which are 32 pages long and are workbooks.)

Zentangle 3: With Rubber Stamps

Zentangle 4: 40 More Tangles

Zentangle 7: Inspiring Circles, Zendalas & Shapes

Zentangle 8: Monograms and Alphabets

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

What is the best way to mail a book? (Pretend I've never done it before, which is true. Shocking, I know.)

Also, is anyone interested in a 1912 hardback copy of Mother West Wind's Animal Friends? Some books just cannot be sent to the thrift store when you are reducing (making room for others). It is free to a good home. You can reply here or pm me if you would rather.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 10

Wild finished this am, 5 stars, adored it.

1. The Crystal Cave- Stewart

2. The Hollow Hills- Stewart

3. The Last Enchantment- Stewart

4. The Wicked Day- Stewart

5. Younger Next Year for Women

6. Very Good Lives- Rowling- very, very, extremely short

7. The Once and Future King- White
8. The Lost Art of Walking
9. Move Your DNA
10. The Wild Trees- Preston
11. The Magician's Elephant
12. Wild
Edited by soror
  • Like 8

re How To Mail A Book:

What is the best way to mail a book? (Pretend I've never done it before, which is true. Shocking, I know.)

Also, is anyone interested in a 1912 hardback copy of Mother West Wind's Animal Friends? Some books just cannot be sent to the thrift store when you are reducing (making room for others). It is free to a good home. You can reply here or pm me if you would rather.

:lol:

1. Go to the post office.  If your timing is flexible, avoid before-work and lunchtime hours.

2. Put the book in a proper sized heavy envelop.  If it's just one book, a regular manila is fine.  For a bunch, you might consider a box or a padded mailer. A host of supplies will be ready for you at the post office.  (I do bring packing tape, though you can buy it there.)

3.  Address the package.

4.  When you get to the counter, tell the clerk that it's a BOOK.  If time is not of the essence, you will get the Media rate, which is very reasonable.  If time is of the essence, the clerk will tell you your options.  You may need to fill out a different label depending on your option.

5.  You pay, clerk mails.

Mazel tov! You did it! Your recipient thanks you.

• Like 11

re How To Mail A Book:

1. Go to the post office. If your timing is flexible, avoid before-work and lunchtime hours.

2. Put the book in a proper sized heavy envelop. If it's just one book, a regular manila is fine. For a bunch, you might consider a box or a padded mailer. A host of supplies will be ready for you at the post office. (I do bring packing tape, though you can buy it there.)

3. Address the package.

4. When you get to the counter, tell the clerk that it's a BOOK. If time is not of the essence, you will get the Media rate, which is very reasonable. If time is of the essence, the clerk will tell you your options. You may need to fill out a different label depending on your option.

5. You pay, clerk mails.

Thanks, 2 and 4 were especially helpful. 😊 🌹ðŸŽ

Too bad, I can't do spoilers on my iPad.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 11

re How To Mail A Book:

1. Go to the post office. If your timing is flexible, avoid before-work and lunchtime hours.

2. Put the book in a proper sized heavy envelop. If it's just one book, a regular manila is fine. For a bunch, you might consider a box or a padded mailer. A host of supplies will be ready for you at the post office. (I do bring packing tape, though you can buy it there.)

3. Address the package.

4. When you get to the counter, tell the clerk that it's a BOOK. If time is not of the essence, you will get the Media rate, which is very reasonable. If time is of the essence, the clerk will tell you your options. You may need to fill out a different label depending on your option.

5. You pay, clerk mails.

Some of us are very fond of brown paper...

• Like 10

Re: mailing a book....

Pam, thank you so much for the books; they arrived yesterday!

I've already reused the envelope & now Necropolis is on its way to Rose.

P.S. Ime, sometimes at the post office, they will interrogate you like a criminal if you want to mail something media mail, trying to make sure you're not being sneaky & including a card or a note or some other 'contraband' in your package. :rolleyes:

• Like 11

Based on Amazon's recommendations related to Wild I requested these from the library:

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Gilbert

The Gifts of Imperfection: Letting Go of Who You think You're Supposed to Be

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent and Lead

Of these The Gifts of Imperfection speaks to me most (by the title anyway) but I'm thinking there will be some nuggets that will be good from all of these for this stage of my life.

• Like 9

P.S. Ime, sometimes at the post office, they will interrogate you like a criminal if you want to mail something media mail, trying to make sure you're not being sneaky & including a card or a note or some other 'contraband' in your package. :rolleyes:

Yes, really, it is ridiculous.

• Like 10

Re: mailing a book....

Pam, thank you so much for the books; they arrived yesterday!

I've already reused the envelope & now Necropolis is on its way to Rose.

Wait. You can reuse envelopes? Is there a trick to that?

P.S. Brown paper, aka grocery bags as wrapping paper, I can do. That's how I cover my once a year christmas packages to family, in reused boxes.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 9

I enjoyed reading Karen's thoughts on romance and jotted down a few titles.  Admi), ttedly, I don't read much romance, and when I think of romance, I tend more towards Harriet Vane/Peter Wimsey type romance.

Funny you should mention that.  I finished Gaudy Night last night.  I'll put my review in the next post. 

In the spirit of Valentine's Day, my favourite romance is the Georgette Heyer one with Hero and Isabella.

Friday's Child!  I loved that one also. 

I finished in Dutch:

http://www.amazon.com/Know-Why-Caged-Bird-Sings-ebook/dp/B003MQM7H8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455529959&sr=1-1&keywords=maya+Angelou

http://www.amazon.com/Codex-Lev-Grossman-ebook/dp/B004WODUMA/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455530008&sr=1-2&keywords=Codex

http://www.amazon.com/Mozartzauber-Jörg-Kastner/dp/3471794565/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455530296&sr=8-1&keywords=Mozartzauber

I read also 10 chapters War&Peace.

This part was definetly skipped in the current BBC serie and so harder to follow to me.

DH joined me watching the serie and says it is well done, I didn't recognized Napoleon in the serie, he was too tall ;)

The German parts of the book are also not translated, but I can read them, and there are just a few sentences so far.

I don't 'like' the book so far, but like the tv serie.

But I like the fact I learn more about Eastern Europes history,

Or at least their view on some history parts.

DH read this last year and he liked it.  He also said that a minimum of 25% of the book is in French.  He doesn't speak French.  :)

Abigail Therese was born on Feb. 5, 7 lbs 11 oz, 20 inches long, with lots and lots of dark hair with really surprising blonde highlights.

I just adore that name.  Congrats on your new little addition. 

• Like 12

Up late last night finishing Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers.  Well.  I enjoyed it.  Obviously if I was willing to give up precious sleep.  I feel as though Sayers "ideal reader" must be a smarter person than I am.  Whew.  Lots of literary references in there that I missed out on.  I also have no idea at all about the workings of Oxford so I found all the descriptions of people to be a bit hard to follow ... dean vs bursar vs warden vs scouts.  I had it about figured out by page 499. 

I am so happy with the ending!  :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:  I loved how both Harriet and Peter had to grow before they could deserve each other.  Although admittedly I wanted to violently shake Harriet and tell her to stop being such a dope and say YES!

• Like 13