Menu

Skinny swimmers who get cold! Any tips?

PeterPan

My ds7 is pretty thin for his weight, with a BMI around 10 +/-.  (Was 14 and he got sick and lost weight and a one pound decrease drops him to 7.)  He both swims and competes in gymnastics, so he is quite, quite active.  We're trying and trying to feed him more, but he just gets really COLD in the pool!  Even in the warmer, arthritis pool his lips turn blue.  In the lap pool (cooler) he's just miserable.  He really, really enjoys swimming, but he's SO cold!  

So, aside from packing a few pounds on him, which I haven't figured out how to do, what are my options for keeping him warm?  Someone told me to feed him carbs afterward to restore core heat and recovery.  I have no clue what I'm talking about.  They said there's a neoprene swim cap and that a neoprene swim shirt can help.  Any thoughts on these?  Right now he's just in regular trunks, not jammers.  He just got put into Flying Fish at the Y, so that's the next to highest level.  He swims 3 days a week.  We may do swim team or something this summer, but it's very hard for him when he's so cold!  

Any great tips on what works with your skinny swimmers?

Edited by OhElizabeth

Yes, alas, the regular classes are slow and give kids breaks between the laps.  I timed, and in the Fish class they had almost 5 minutes between laps!!! He's a pretty fast swimmer, and some of the kids are slow.  He ends up waiting and waiting, so he's cold.  But it's happening in his other class where it's in the warmer pool and he's swimming constantly.  It's just in the lap pool it's intolerably cold for him.

So yes, I wondered if moving to swim team would help just because they'd be going, going, going so much more.  And I'm hoping maybe this Flying Fish/Shark class will be better, because they double the targets for swimming.  But still, he's likely to end up waiting around.

Ok, a bathrobe would be good.  Somebody was telling me double fleece, saying it insulates when it's wet.  I just got that suggestion, so I need to figure something out.  At his size, robes, at least for boys, are really short.  I think I'd need to make something.  I could get smart and google for pictures, lol.  

If it weren't these young KIDS teaching this class, I could just talk to them and say he can you have him do this extra thing while he's waiting so he's not getting cold, something to keep him moving...  I just hate to fluster young kids.  They're more there just barking orders than anything.  They're not really being creative like the adult teachers are.  

And I don't know if that would help anyway.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Yes, alas, the regular classes are slow and give kids breaks between the laps. I timed, and in the Fish class they had almost 5 minutes between laps!!! He's a pretty fast swimmer, and some of the kids are slow. He ends up waiting and waiting, so he's cold. But it's happening in his other class where it's in the warmer pool and he's swimming constantly. It's just in the lap pool it's intolerably cold for him.

So yes, I wondered if moving to swim team would help just because they'd be going, going, going so much more. And I'm hoping maybe this Flying Fish/Shark class will be better, because they double the targets for swimming. But still, he's likely to end up waiting around.

Ok, a bathrobe would be good. Somebody was telling me double fleece, saying it insulates when it's wet. I just got that suggestion, so I need to figure something out. At his size, robes, at least for boys, are really short. I think I'd need to make something. I could get smart and google for pictures, lol.

For my dd6 I just bought a woman's full-size robe and cut the sleeves down, and shortened it just a bit. It wraps around twice, but that is a benefit!

• Like 1

Oh! And this winter I actually took along two hot water bottles, from the drugstore. I filled them at home and by swim time they were the right temperature for cuddling.

They also work really well for the kids to dive and retrieve:)

Ultimately, the cold and the waiting were why we changed to private lessons:(

• Like 1

For my dd6 I just bought a woman's full-size robe and cut the sleeves down, and shortened it just a bit. It wraps around twice, but that is a benefit!

What a good solution!!  Love it!!  :)

I'm looking it up, and there are also patterns for swim robes and then swim parkas that you can buy.  Swim robes seem to be terry, and the swim parkas are fleece and poly.  So I'm just looking to sort it out.  We ought to be and to do something for that, mercy.  Doesn't solve the class, but it would make afterward better.

Oh! And this winter I actually took along two hot water bottles, from the drugstore. I filled them at home and by swim time they were the right temperature for cuddling.

They also work really well for the kids to dive and retrieve:)

Ultimately, the cold and the waiting were why we changed to private lessons:(

Unfortunately, private is $45 an hour and I can get these classes for $3 for a half hour.  Sigh.  He also has some SN, and they've been letting him stay in a preschool class as well in the warmer pool.  Otherwise, he would just be overwhelmed.  My problem is what to do this summer, because all the classes, no matter what he does (team or Flying Fish) at the Y would be in that cold lap pool.  There's a heated outdoor pool elsewhere with a summer swim team, but I don't know.  Because of his SN, I'm extra careful where I place him.  And that summer placement wouldn't solve fall.  Can't win, lol.

And I hate for him to just stop swimming, because he's actually pretty good at it, enjoying it.  I thought about asking the swim team coach if he could come work out with them for a day to see how that goes, to see if that up-tempo pace takes care of it.  Of course, it might be more likely to succeed if I get something on him that's keeping him warmer.  Anyways, that's why I'm floating all this, because I have a problem now and a worse problem by fall.  Unless I keep him in his current mix for next year (preschool class plus one lap class).  He fits in in the preschool class (which is in the warm pool) very well.  I just don't know about next year.  Really though, he fits in, and because of his SN the teacher has just given him pretty carte blanche to stay as long as that's a better placement for him.  I just kind of thought we'd be moving on.  Sigh.

Anyways, that's why I'm working on this, because it's causing him problems.  He loves swimming, but he can't handle the cold.  I have to get him warmer so he can have options.  

Ok, I'm dumb. On the hot water bottles, you hold them *afterward* to warm up or during class?? Just thought I'd show my lack of imagination there, lol. After class, I take him to the locker and give him a nice long, warm shower to get him warmed back up.

For Alex, I let her actually take it in the water and cuddle on the side of the pool. I only filled them half full of water and then blew air into them to inflate a bit.

They don't last an incredible amount of time, but even as they cool they 'feel' warm compared to the kiddo. Plus, she would tread water (when the instructor let the kids hang out waiting in the water instead of the side) holding it, which was a bit of work...which would warm her up a bit:)

Also, I take a thermos of hottish water to her to sip instead of her normal water bottle...although a couple of other moms tried this and discovered their kiddos should not have water at all whilst swimming, lol.

We did try a swim cap but Alex has sensory issues and just couldn't handle it. Of course, she has longer hair so it had to be tucked up underneath:(

It was also a bit difficult to find a wetsuit she could tolerate...

• Like 1

Same problem here with my DD6.  I bought a kid sized wetsuit on Amazon.  That helps her some.  But we only really swim in the summer when we go on vacation.  Last year, I did put a swim cap on her.  I can't remember if it kept her hair dry, thus she stayed warmer.  I can imagine a wetsuit would impede your son's swimming skills.  Wish there was an answer.  I do bundle her up when she's not in the pool. 

• Like 1

Yes, perhaps moving him to the team might help. If you and him are ready for it. The coaches here try to do all they can to keep the kids moving so they aren't freezing.

If it weren't these young KIDS teaching this class, I could just talk to them and say he can you have him do this extra thing while he's waiting so he's not getting cold, something to keep him moving... I just hate to fluster young kids. They're more there just barking orders than anything. They're not really being creative like the adult teachers are.

And I don't know if that would help anyway.

• Like 1

Does he have a swim parka?  Have him dry off with a swim chamois & then put a parka on with the hood.  That was usually enough when our kids were younger.  

I had never even heard of these things until today!  I found the swim parka, so now I'll go look for a swim chamois.  Do you have a preferred one?

The neoprene cap would be the first thing I'd try.  Does he wear any type of swim cap at all? 

We looked at them at the store a year ago, and they seemed awkward to get on.  He was 6, and I gave up.  And at the time I was reading they didn't help.  I think I was looking at more rubbery/latexy ones.  Somebody at the pool told me neoprene.  I don't even know what it would be, as I don't think it's what I saw in the store.  So you're saying you've tried neoprene ones and they help?

Edited by OhElizabeth

For Alex, I let her actually take it in the water and cuddle on the side of the pool. I only filled them half full of water and then blew air into them to inflate a bit.

They don't last an incredible amount of time, but even as they cool they 'feel' warm compared to the kiddo. Plus, she would tread water (when the instructor let the kids hang out waiting in the water instead of the side) holding it, which was a bit of work...which would warm her up a bit:)

Also, I take a thermos of hottish water to her to sip instead of her normal water bottle...although a couple of other moms tried this and discovered their kiddos should not have water at all whilst swimming, lol.

We did try a swim cap but Alex has sensory issues and just couldn't handle it. Of course, she has longer hair so it had to be tucked up underneath:(

It was also a bit difficult to find a wetsuit she could tolerate...

Interesting.  I doubt he would want to be conspicuous.  He's 7 and most of the other kids are much older.  Yes, we buzzed his hair, which would make the cap easier.  When we looked at them a year ago, he had fluffier hair, which was awkward.  It would go right on with his current hair.  And yes, that's why didn't try the wetsuit, because they were $60 on amazon and I couldn't guarantee they'd fit or be comfortable to swim in for this.  He's sort of long-waisted.  I'm thinking if I can find the neoprene shirt, that solves the long-waisted problem.

Ds was on a swim team in high school that practiced outside.....even in the snow.  He swam in a wet suit.  His exposed skin was still cold but it helped.  A swim parka is nice for beside the pool.

:w00t:   I'm flabbergasted!  How do they do that?!?!   So the pool was heated?  Well thanks for sharing!  

Yes, perhaps moving him to the team might help. If you and him are ready for it. The coaches here try to do all they can to keep the kids moving so they aren't freezing.

I don't actually want to, sigh.  We don't compete on Sundays, the boosters are a PAIN, I'm concerned about repetitive injuries in one so young, and I don't think the amount of commotion and chaos suits him.  The energy level fits him, yes.  But it's not as structured as the small classes he's used to. He has an ASD diagnosis, and the more chaotic and less structured the situation, the less I can guarantee he'll have expected behavior.  It could be that the teachers would step up to the plate on that, but I'm not sure.  It's definitely not an option where I'm like oh yeah, let's do this.  What would actually be better for him (and I'm just saying this having watched the upper and lower teams practice) is for him to go into the upper team.  He could participate in the upper team structure, because it's calmer, more clear.  It's lower team, where I assume younger kids go, where I think things could break down.  I don't *know* that, but I'm just saying that was my take.  That's why we use the mix we have, with preschool and regular classes, because he gets developmentally appropriate environment, lots of structure, people who are anticipating they need to give him a bit extra attention.  It just works out really well.  And if you walk in and say oh I think my 7 yo would fit better in your upper level class, they're gonna look at you funny.   ;)  I sort of hoped I could hold him in the regular classes and let him get good enough that he could jump up to that, that maybe he would cross that age line where they wouldn't look funny at him working out with the older kids.  I don't actually know if that would work.  

That was a ramble.  I've never talked with the swim team coach about it, even though I've seen her around.  I figured she has scads of kids to think about, so I didn't want to bug her.  I'm not wanting that to sound funny, like I'm bragging or something.  I'm just saying there are definite reasons why I'd take that slowly, why alternate placements are preferable.  And if he gets in there and STILL gets super cold, it could turn him off to it.  But that's interesting if the other kids are cold and still have it as an issue.  Guess we need to get the neoprene stuff and see what happens.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

We looked at them at the store a year ago, and they seemed awkward to get on.  He was 6, and I gave up.  And at the time I was reading they didn't help.  I think I was looking at more rubbery/latexy ones.  Somebody at the pool told me neoprene.  I don't even know what it would be, as I don't think it's what I saw in the store.  So you're saying you've tried neoprene ones and they help?

No, my kids have never tried neoprene caps.  When they were young, skinny, and cold, they wore latex or silicone caps.  It seems like the silicone caps were warmer.  It was easier to put the caps on if my kids got their hair wet first.  They had long hair at the time so I put it in a ponytail or twisted it up and then pulled the cap on.  Short hair would be easier -- less mass of hair to get under the cap.

The reason I think neoprene caps would be warmer is because wetsuits are made from neoprene, which is a good insulator.

I do remember seeing a few kids wearing what looked like neoprene wetsuits (the style with short arms & legs).  Also some wore similar style suits but made of regular swimsuit fabric.

ETA:  Seems like if I got their hair wet and put a bit of conditioner in, the caps went on easiest that way.  It has been many years...

Edited by TrixieB
  • Like 1

Ok, this is a hoot.  I'm looking this up now, and I don't know how I missed this!  Neoprene stuff is worn for outdoor swimming like triathalons, where the water is FRIGID!  I had no clue!  So they have different types of thermal caps, swim socks, you name it.  Nifty!  

The title of this thread makes me laugh - really loud!  :lol:   I HATE cold water, and I grew up competitive swimming. Those morning work-outs are brutal. I still have a strong dislike of mornings, and cold water, though swimming is alright. As a teen girl, there was a strange attraction to being able to simply rinse off the sweat instantly while in the water. 

The best thing to do is keep moving to get warm. Or get out of the water and dry off. Or jump in the sauna or hot tub. Not many options, sadly. 

ETA:  The thermal swim caps look good, though they'd be overkill when you do finally warm up. Then you'd have to take it off and try not to forget it.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

My kids were really skinny too and we had the same problem.  This is the reason why I paid for private swim lessons for my kids until they reached a level where they were swimming more than they were resting.  The private lessons were just so much more efficient.  No waiting for other kids to get with the program.  They spent much more time moving.  We also brought the prewarmed towels and robes.  They didn't have the choices in swimwear back then, though or we would have chosen something there. 

• Like 1

My very slim kid swam for 12 years on an outdoor summer league.  Same issues.  We learned to bring 4 towels for each meet so he could have a fresh dry one after every race, and then we also got him one of those swim-team coats that cost the earth but my goodness they were worth it.  We'd meet him at the end with a dry towel, he'd dry off and then get into that coat and it made all the difference.  

I think the jammer (long legged tight trunks) were better for him than the regular trunks, but he liked/s regular trunks for non-competitive swimming.  

He also ate a lot of candy between races...but I don't know whether that helped with warmth.  Mostly it kept his mouth too busy to complain, maybe.  LOL

This might be repetitive; I haven't read all the responses.  

Those of you with exceptionally skinny kids- have any of you ever found that your kid just CANNOT learn to swim? My oldest can swim, but not well, and my youngest just can't swim at all despite our efforts. Sometimes I wonder if it's because they have virtually no body fat (they are seriously skinny)- heavens knows that I float much more easily now as an adult with some extra pounds on me than I ever did as a kid- or if it's just because they're always so cold that they can't ever really relax and focus on actually swimming...?

• Like 1

I think it is very hard for skinny kids to do a static float because they just don't have enough buoyancy.  However, they can learn to swim because that doesn't actually require floating, but moving through the water.  But, many swim programs refuse to let a kid advance to more swimming like activities if they can't float. 

• Like 2

Those of you with exceptionally skinny kids- have any of you ever found that your kid just CANNOT learn to swim? My oldest can swim, but not well, and my youngest just can't swim at all despite our efforts. Sometimes I wonder if it's because they have virtually no body fat (they are seriously skinny)- heavens knows that I float much more easily now as an adult with some extra pounds on me than I ever did as a kid- or if it's just because they're always so cold that they can't ever really relax and focus on actually swimming...?

My son was always tall and skinny for his age.  He did much better at the long-body strokes (freestyle, backstroke) the taller he got.  The butterfly was completely impossible...more a slow-trip-to-drowning than a stroke.  However, he won the most ribbons for breaststroke; even though he sank like a rock, his frog-legs gave him a big burst of power underwater, and he did GREAT at that stroke.  

That said, I do think that a little more bouyancy due to some body-fat is helpful.  :0)  

My very slim kid swam for 12 years on an outdoor summer league.  Same issues.  We learned to bring 4 towels for each meet so he could have a fresh dry one after every race, and then we also got him one of those swim-team coats that cost the earth but my goodness they were worth it.  We'd meet him at the end with a dry towel, he'd dry off and then get into that coat and it made all the difference.  

I think the jammer (long legged tight trunks) were better for him than the regular trunks, but he liked/s regular trunks for non-competitive swimming.  

He also ate a lot of candy between races...but I don't know whether that helped with warmth.  Mostly it kept his mouth too busy to complain, maybe.  LOL

This might be repetitive; I haven't read all the responses.  

Not repetitive at all.  I appreciate the confirmation.  I didn't know about these nifty things!  I'm now getting in the loop, finding all sorts of nifty things that would work.  

Wintermom, yes, that's what I'm concerned about.  He's SO cold it's traumatic.  He's saying not to sign him up, blah blah.  And he's actually a pretty decent swimmer!  And we've worked so hard to get him comfortable and safe, I don't want to just stop.  I'm glad to have some options.

On the floating issue, ds doesn't have a problem.  They taught him to fill his chest and focus on getting his chest up.  It held him back at the beginning levels a LONG TIME till he could finally get it.  You have to be able to get that chest up and get up to a float to do the stuff on your back.  When kids don't have it, seems like they drag their whole bodies through the water.  He's got it, but they spent a lot of time with him.  He couldn't actually understand what flat was because of his sensory issues.  We had to lay him on the floor and press on him and let him feel it, feel what was touching, what flat feels like.  His teacher also spent a lot of time working on it.  He takes 3-4 times longer than everyone else to learn the same skill.  He's super smart and fun to work with, just needs longer.  So they give him more time and give him these really precise instructions, using extra hands-on till he gets it.

Well that was a rabbit trail.  Anyways, he can float.  He just has to focus on keeping his chest up.  

A BMI of 5 is medically underweight, btw.  He's not as thin as it gets, but he's thin enough.  

Wasabi, I think really people expect things to come too fast.  My ds needs 3-4 times as much instruction as anyone else in the classes to get things.  I spent a whole summer crying as I watched all the kids pass out of classes and him not.  Then I realized I could just own it.  So now I just PLAN on him taking longer and sign him up for 3-4 X more classes than everyone else.  If most kids would pass a level in a couple sessions at once a week, my ds will be swimming 3X (or more) a week for 2-3X that long.  He just passed a class he has been in almost 8 months.  And the other kids came in, took it for one or two sessions (7 weeks) and passed.  And that's ok, kwim?  Like I'm cool with it.  Even being like tall or whatever, you're still back to basics (motor planning, strength, proprioception).  The more you build strength, the more you improve motor planning and proprioception.  My ds improves, so I'd really rather just say someone might need a lot *longer* to get to their goal, rather than saying can't.  Kwim?  

Some of these things take a lot of strength.  The gymnastics helps, and he does a pull-up bar at home, hand stands, etc.  He seems pretty good on the strokes.  The teacher had him doing something last week with a pool noodle, trying to help him *feel* where his body should be with I think the butterfly.  It held him up so he could feel the timing.  He's strong enough, but to know ok, this is what it feels like when it's done right, that needed some help.  Once he had that, he figured it out.  He's a really surprising little 7 yo in that sense, lol.  

Edited by OhElizabeth

See if they offer pre swim team. My DS did that and loved it. It is normally very structured.

DS is very skinny so he wears jammers under his suit. Not only does it help the suit fit better but it keeps helps keep him warmer. DD had swim in a pool that was cold( they kept it at 70ish). She loved her speedo wetsuit. It was thinner than a normal wetsuit but was about 40 dollars.

• Like 1

Listening in.

Dd6 has the same problem. We finally got her a light-weight long sleeve neoprene and cloth wet suit. It helps.

We also take a thick, absorbent bathrobe to wrap her in as soon as she gets out. Much more effective than towels:)

Yes, full suit. By the time they get to the higher competitive levels where that amount of time really makes the difference, usually they have gained weight or are allowed to use a different type of suit.

• Like 1

What made a big difference for dd was eating carbs before swim practice.  A good size serving of gold fish or chips or something.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!  Someone at the pool was trying to tell me about core heat (I have no clue), and saying you use carbs for it.  But I thought they meant AFTER, for recovery.  Didn't occur to me to do it BEFORE, duh...  A potato chips, mercy, he would eat those.  He doesn't get them hardly at all, so they're extremely, extremely high value here.  Of course, then I have to vary things or he'll get stuck and be upset about it not being that way every time.  Rats, just when I thought I had a good thing!  But you're right.  I was just focusing on getting breakfast into him.  A high value carb snack would be alluring.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with my DD a few years ago. Here is my thread.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/444767-swim-team-in-the-winter-please-help-me-help-my-dd/

What ultimately worked was a wetsuit. Totally worth the price (and I've bought several more since then). This is the one I bought. DD is the most dedicated and addicted swimmer in the house now, btw, so I am so glad I helped her stick with it. Swim is all kinds of good for kids.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049AU0YI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

• Like 2

ds swims with a shorty wetsuit (sleeves to elbows, legs to knees) at the pool, and a full-length one when swimming outside (our part of the ocean is frigid!). He is quite an advanced swimmer, and the shorty suit does not impede his movement at all. He also does diving while wearing the shorty suit. After swimming in the competition pool (cold) he needs to go in the hottub or shower before getting in the leisure pool.

ds also wears a silicone cap, even with long hair.

• Like 1

Get him a kids wetsuit. Probably a shorty will be fine. I teach swimming. Lessons with standing around waiting drive me nuts. The instructor should have a walk drill for those who have to wait. Or something that differentiates the skill instruction so everyone can keep moving and work on new stuff while others are still mastering the main requirements.

• Like 1

ds swims with a shorty wetsuit (sleeves to elbows, legs to knees) at the pool, and a full-length one when swimming outside (our part of the ocean is frigid!). He is quite an advanced swimmer, and the shorty suit does not impede his movement at all. He also does diving while wearing the shorty suit. After swimming in the competition pool (cold) he needs to go in the hottub or shower before getting in the leisure pool.

ds also wears a silicone cap, even with long hair.

So are you saying the full suit *would* impede his swimming?  I'm looking at these today, trying to get it sorted out.  I'm on wetsuitwearhouse.com looking at the 3/2mm Dawn Patrol by Rip Curl.  It's a full suit with good reviews for water not getting in.  It's *possible* that ds is getting unusually cold because of something with the ASD.  There's the thought process that the self-regulation problems extend to temperature.  I don't know.  He just seems disproportionately colder than his peers.  

So I'm saying I don't know if the springsuit will be enough, kwim?  For summer, he'd need to be able to swim i that cold water daily.  He'd have to be that warm that he could do that without meltdowns and frustration.  But if the full suit is going to impede his swimming and the springsuit would be better... Sigh.  For this Flying Fish class, they'll finally be working on turns.  So he'll swim all the strokes and learn turns to turn it into a medley.  I have no clue what I'm talking about, lol.

Are these suits stretchy?  My dh wants to know if he'll outgrow it really fast.  He's currently a 7, wearing size 7 pants from Carters, and he has a bit of a long waist.  I was going to buy the 8.  I read online another wetsuit size 8 was 23" shoulder to crotch (found that on ebay), and that gives ds a bit of room to grow, maybe an inch.  I can't imagine putting him in something 21" (a size down).  That would be super tight.  Of course tight is the point, lol.  But that was his question, how long it would fit.  How are they meant to fit?  If you buy for growth, will it be too loose?

Get him a kids wetsuit. Probably a shorty will be fine. I teach swimming. Lessons with standing around waiting drive me nuts. The instructor should have a walk drill for those who have to wait. Or something that differentiates the skill instruction so everyone can keep moving and work on new stuff while others are still mastering the main requirements.

If the teacher were applying your care, that would be lovely.  This class is usually teens, and they do nothing more than bark.  They bring no creativity or skill or abilities at all, lowest of the low.

Well renting is an idea I hadn't considered!  Really though, the $10 or $15 might as well go toward a suit.  I can get the suit for $90 for full suit.  I asked ds, and he thinks he'll be too cold in a springsuit.  He's just so much colder than the other kids.

Diana, you know, I'm thinking about this some more.  I've been really dumb about this.  I should just talk with the teacher about differentiated instruction.  I can just say hey, can you give him some tasks to do during the waits so he's not still and getting cold...  That would be pretty concrete.  And I checked, it *might* be that this term they'll have an adult teaching it.  We'll see.  Sometimes the person listed isn't who ends up teaching.  If it's an adult, that's better.  But I think your idea of requesting differentiated instruction makes sense. They've been pretty good to me when I ask for things.  I just hadn't even thought to ask for that.  It would help immensely, and with starting a new class (that he'll probably be in a while!) it's easy to get that momentum going for the change.  

Eagle, I like your idea on the silicone cap.  I looked at neoprene, and they're sort of problematic.  They have a chin strap.  It might be really great or really not.  I think the silicone would be an easier starting point.  Seems like some people put a silicone over the neoprene anyway, so if the silicone plus wetsuit doesn't do the trick, we could work up.  That would be a conservative approach.

He's cold even in the summer in the outdoor pool, which limits his ability to enjoy it.  I'm excited to try these changes.  Thanks ladies!! :)

My skinny guys say their long sleeve rash guard shirts really help hold their body heat. Other than that, we make sure to stay moving, swimming laps, treading water for long periods.

Yup, alas he already wears a rash guard shirt.  Not long sleeve.  He's just SO cold.  He has begged for the wetsuit, so I think we're going that way.  We'll just see what happens.  And I think we're going to ask for some differentiated instruction and for them to give him things to do in the breaks so he's not sitting still.  He has more than enough energy.