Menu

Is this a sprained ankle?

Gwenny

Is it possible to sprain your ankle after a fall, walk on it with little to no pain for several hours, and then have it begin hurting?  At noon, I looked out the window and saw chicken feathers strewn across the yard.  Knowing a chicken was at risk or dead, I rushed outside in slippers, slipping down the deck stairs.  I got right up and began inspecting the yard.  Finding no sign of the chicken, I searched the woods, feed the chickens, cleaned the coop, and took the compost out with no problems.  One toe on the other foot did hurt and is bruised, but I still walked easily on it.  In an attempt to cheer my son up (it was his chicken), I took the kids out shopping to 2 stores.  After the drive home (25min), my ankle had stiffened up.  By dinner time it hurt pretty bad, but I could walk on it.  Now I can't put weight on it all.  I don't understand, it's barely swollen with no bruising.

Can a sprained ankle do that?

It could be. I've twisted, sprained, strained, hyperextended, and jammed more than my fair share of joints throughout my clumsy childhood and athletic school years. No two were exactly alike.

I once hurt my knee. I thought it was just a twinge and walked/jumped/danced on it all night. The next morning my leg was stiff straight and would.not.bend. I ended up in a brace for a couple months, but it was usable and did not really hurt a whole lot until about 12 hours after the original twist.

Edited by fraidycat