Menu

What's with the ads?

kfeusse

I get so depressed reading some posts on this board....

I hesitate to jump in here so late in the game.   I am someone who can get easily offended or feel a blow to my self-esteem.  

BUT, I participate quite often on the high school board AND I have two average kids.  I have never felt inferior, unwelcome, less-than, etc.  I gain so much from everyone there - take what I can use, disregard what doesn't pertain to me, and post questions and get helpful responses.  It would be sad to be so segregated.  

• Like 9

I mean this with the utmost respect and care....why then do we need an Accelerated Learner Board in the first place?

I'm not trying to be contrary.

Some issues are better discussed on the other forums.  When my Aspie went off the deep end and had to be institutionalized, my freak out went on the SN board (that is what it was called back then.) When I discuss his major life struggles, that is where I post.  When people on that forum ask questions that I think are relevant to my experience with him, I share.

The accelerated board is its own little world.  It is not a place that really represents our world.  Even my advanced kids don't fit that dynamic.  We have a very different educational view and it doesn't mesh well with most posters on that forum.

If the point of the forum is conversation, shouldn't people post where they feel the most comfortable getting answers to their questions?

• Like 9

I mean this with the utmost respect and care....why then do we need an Accelerated Learner Board in the first place?

Because there are some issues that are specific for the accelerated learner, especially in young ages. Problems of very asynchronous development, extreme discrepancy between academic interests and general maturity, questions of curriculum adaptation for those students - some questions clearly only pertain to accelerated learners.

Just like there are question that are specific for students with learning disabilities.

But then there are also general questions - like high school curriculum or credits,where it is irrelevant that the student is of a younger age or works on an advanced level. Those are best answered on the high school board, because the acceleration does not play any role for the question.

• Like 10

Jewel, I'm thinking it really serves those who have kids in elementary school well. The problem with segregating the high school board, imo, is that the pool of homeschoolers drastically dwindles by high school. By segregating a subgroup, I'm thinking there wouldn't be enough feedback on an accelerated high school board. Plus, there is such a wide range of class levels in high school, where would you draw the line? One AP class or 5? Most people on this board are having their kids take high school classes, though some are a little younger than high school age.

• Like 6

I think the Accelerated Board should include a sub-board for middle&high school not a split in the hs board.

But my children weren't accelerated in most of their subjects, especially once we got to high school, so that would not work for us. Where does that leave those of us whose children are just quirky? I switched to following this board when my children hit high school as well as continuing to use the accelerated board when this one became too overwhelming or when we were failing at accomplishing the things people were doing here easily. Which sounds backwards but worked because the accelerated board was more familiar with the struggles my children faced. I needed this board for the breadth of experience represented. If there were a sub-board, would it mean that I was not welcome here because at some points in their lives, my children required the solutions that the accelerated board provided?

I don't think an AP board would work because many of us don,t do APs.

Ruth, I am so sad for you. We are the losers. Your posts were so helpful.

Nan

• Like 8

I guess I'm referring to a place where we can talk about homeschooling kids who are accelerated doing hs work. The AL board doesn't work for me any more.

On the high school board there is not much for the average homeschooler to lurk on. I too enjoy learning from other folks, but in order to challenge comfort zones, there needs to be a comfort zone in the first place, no? No one wants to send anyone away. The average person feels unwelcome. They are not trying to say others are unwelcome. They are looking for their place here, if possible.

There are LOTS of parents of average kids who post here who do not feel the least bit unwelcome — I am one of them. I have one weird kid and one average kid. I had to laugh when someone posted upthread that she felt "discouraged" that her 9th grader was "only" doing Honors Bio and Geometry. I'm hoping my DD will be doing Algebra 1 in 9th — and not have to repeat it in 10th. But if she does have to repeat it, then that's what we'll do. Whatever science she does, it won't be honors level. And yet, miraculously, that doesn't make me feel the least bit discouraged or depressed. It certainly doesn't make me feel like everyone whose kids are more advanced than mine should go somewhere else so I don't have to hear about it! 

I was suggesting a place for parents of accelerated high school students to talk about their specific concerns related to acceleration during the high school years which looks very different for many children on the general hs board. I love the rich community as well however many are feeling depressed. Does anyone else have any ideas?

If someone is seriously depressed by the knowledge that there are other students in the world — some of whom are even homeschoolers — who are smarter or more ambitious or more advanced than their own kids, then their problem is not the WTM High School board. 

Do parents of average PS students go looking for a school with no AP or honors classes? And no sports if their child happens to be not very athletic, because that would be depressing to see other people's kids excelling in sports. And for sure no art or music program if the child doesn't have a talent for that.

What do parents of average kids with above-average relatives do? "We'd better skip Christmas with your family, honey, because it makes me too sad that your sister's kids are doing AP sciences and ours aren't even doing honors level."

That's a self-esteem issue, not an academic issue.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 24

Younger parents starting out. I started back there back in the day. Questions and resources related to giftedness, testing, special programs, feelings of frustration and even fear. It is/was a safe space for exploring those issues without being a lightning rod for truly unhelpful comments such as: slow down! if you're teaching 3 grade levels ahead, what will you do in high school? All kids are gifted, yours will even out in a few years. There is no reason any child should be reading before they are 7. They probably don't really understand what they are reading. If a child hasn't learned their math facts they absolutely should not move ahead conceptually.

I've personally heard all of the above and more. For years, I didn't list anything which would indicate how old my kids were. Because, especially at the elementary grades, they stuck out. They don't stick out nearly so much in high school on paper (in real life, they still do with their teachers at the high school and other adults in their lives).

While curriculum is discussed, it is usually geared towards elementary level...because once they are ready for high school level, we ask those questions here...where the vast majority of parents who are in the midst of it, or have BTDT can answer.

Once we're finished panicking over kid #1 who, at 5, lectures a college group about how they should properly care for a cold, and how viruses and bacteria multiply, we are usually not as freaked out when kid #2 can draw detailed, recognisable pictures at 3, or completes 3 math levels in a year, and by 10 asks for a college textbook on Marine Biology for Christmas they found on Amazon, because they've already read the books in the library.

You grow past the AL and gravitate to the next level...the high school and college board.

There aren't that many homeschooling high school as it is, even fewer who are homeschooling accelerated learners. AP coursework is not limited to accelerated students. Most high school math, lit and history suggestions aren't either.

• Like 4

Jeez. I think everyone just needs to lean out of their own 'thing' - there are challenges to being gifted, there are challenges to not being gifted. There's some harsh talk on this thread from both sides of the fence. 

I do think, as someone formerly in the gifted community, that parents of gifted kids can be very defensive - and for good reason, a lot of the time - but being defensive doesn't exactly help us empathize with others outside that community. 

• Like 1

Because some of us have needed particularly creative solutions to our problems. I think we need it for the same reason that it is handy to have a bilingual board and a special needs board - the posts don't get lost amongst the many more ordinary inquiries. It is more efficient this way. I think, anyway.

I have found them to be a life saver. Our lives would have been very different without all my friends here. I am really sorry your experience has been different and you feel you are not getting the help and support you need on these boards.

Nan

• Like 7

… I love the rich community as well however many are feeling depressed. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Humbly, and probably extremely naively, I thought that was the purpose of thread subject headings??

Looking at thread subject headings -- or even going ahead and reading into a thread to sample -- allows each of us to enter the well-stocked store of WTM, browse the shelves, look at labels, and decide which items to engage with, and which to put back on the shelf...

I have never felt depressed or envious or "one-upped" or as though anyone were boasting or rubbing it in. I think a lot of this is just the nature of conversing/interacting in a long-distance, not-face-to-face format. Lots of different personality types, lots of different goals, lots of different types of students, lots of different curricula options -- that's lovely! I think further sub-dividing the boards would be rather futile -- we would never have enough "boxes" to sort all the differences each into a different box, and it would make trying to navigate the boards nearly impossible with oodles of sub-division categories. ;)

How about we all just agree to allow diversity to flourish, knowing that sometimes we'll get our toes stepped on, but at other times we'll be given unexpected boosts? (says the INFJ homeschooler for whom unity and relationship and mutual support are supreme traits…  :laugh:  :tongue_smilie: ;) )

• Like 31

I don't have a horse in the field yet, but have been trying to do my due diligence in preparing for high school level teaching. Just thought that this was pretty cool to think about. I sometimes struggle with trying to decide how many of "the things" I should do and really, I might be better served by spending more time with a few things. I'm going to have to think more about this.

For purposes of staying on track, yes, I plan to homeschool high school with two very average students. :D And I'm only slightly intimidated when I visit. Except at night. Y'all scare me at night. :willy_nilly:

Yup. Nights are scary. Sigh.

What we did was pick one or two subjects through which to really work on thinking skills each year, one or two to skimp on to make time for the thinking, and the rest we just tried to do fairly efficiently or double up on (like reading history in French and using Latin for English grammar). There were times when we just focused on one subject (plus math and music) for awhile until we got it figured out. Like essay writing.

Which subject you choose to teach heavy duty thinking skills depends somewhat on what type of person you are. If you are a STEM person, you are likely to choose math in which to work on problem solving and emphasize textbooks that have challenging word problems and proofs, or programming, or robotics. If you are a multilingual family, then you are likely to do this via foreign languages. If you are a social activist family, you are likely to pick social studies. Literary analysis appeals to the Literature people. Some people choose logic. I personally did not see the point of doing logic as a subject when I could accomplish the same thing via math, but I know plenty of people for whom logic would make more sense.

Good luck!

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 5

I had to laugh when someone posted upthread that she felt "discouraged" that her 9th grader was "only" doing Honors Bio and Geometry. I'm hoping my DD will be doing Algebra 1 in 9th — and not have to repeat it in 10th. But if she does have to repeat it, then that's what we'll do. Whatever science she does, it won't be honors level. And yet, miraculously, that doesn't make me feel the least bit discouraged or depressed. It certainly doesn't make me feel like everyone whose kids are more advanced than mine should go somewhere else so I don't have to hear about it!

If this is what you took from my post, then you misunderstood me. My post had nothing to do with other people and everything to do with my recognizing that I have to accept my kid where she is and not feel like she has to try to keep up with some other people's kids.

That's a lesson that I'll have to work on even more with regards to my son, who is delayed.

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 1

I think the high school board is small enough as it stands. I would not want to see it further subdivided.

My kid is certainly not accelerated. He is all over the place, so I need to read posts across the spectrum.

It does make me sad to read that parents don't want to post here because their kids are too advanced or not advanced enough. I think we need as many voices as possible.

• Like 12

Maybe an AP prep high school board?  I suggested an accelerated high school board earlier but no one responded.  

15 secs of googling shows that 25% of all (not college prep)national public high school graduates took at least 1 AP course in 2007-2008. This isn't some enriched, accelerated pool. Are you seriously suggesting 25% of the population should some how segregate.

15 secs of googling shows that 25% of all (not college prep)national public high school graduates took at least 1 AP course in 2007-2008. This isn't some enriched, accelerated pool. Are you seriously suggesting 25% of the population should some how segregate.

No, I think we are all just brainstorming ways to fix this problem.  We are just throwing out some ideas.

• Like 2

I never frequented the accelerated board, because I always assumed that I had a lot to learn from a lot of posters, not only from people who self-identified as working with accelerated students.

I don't know if it's your intention, but the sense I'm getting from your posts is that you'd like folks with students working above the "average" level to keep quiet or go to some other section of the board.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

I will also bow out at this point.   

Absolutely not.

I'm not sure how my post to Quark came across so badly. Often if people have to ask a question, it's enough right there to see further communication is going to be difficult. My internal tone was not meant to be rude at all, so I apologize if it came off that way.

• Like 4

It does make me sad to read that parents don't want to post here because their kids are too advanced or not advanced enough. I think we need as many voices as possible. 

:iagree:

• Like 8

If skimming thread titles were easy, I'm not sure how so many posters who are not discouraged ended up inside this one.  :tongue_smilie:  The point was to encourage the op that there are many average homeschoolers who understand, not for people to assume they were A) being personally referenced and B) being told to go away. I was surprised to see so many accelerated homeschoolers on this thread, frankly.

• Like 5