Menu

When to switch to Saxon from CLE - Kiddo likes workbook!

Wonder

My oldest, currently in 6th grade, is working through CLE Math 6.  Doing well with it, mostly independently.  I was thinking she would switch to Saxon (that's our preference) after this year, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts.  I think my biggest hesitation is that I know she wouldn't be crazy about having to re-write the problems.  I read another thread on here where one person said it's maybe a good idea to start Saxon 8/7 before jumping into Algebra (in other words, don't jump into Saxon in your Algebra year).  That way they're familiar with how Saxon works before getting into the harder stuff.

On the other hand, if I keep her in workbook format, it looks like CLE does Pre-Algebra in two years?  I really would hate to cram that all into one.

I'm really even unsure about what progression math "should" take.  What is the general progression of Saxon (in what grades) through high school?  She gets math pretty easily so far.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others have done. :)

If your child is really doing well with CLE and you are thinking of possibly staying with CLE a bit longer, but you don't want to have to do two years of pre-algebra, there are two really good options that others have taken.

1.  Do 700 and 800 in one year.  Pretty easy to do:  a. Cut out the quizzes.  b.  Do the new material from two lessons but the review problems from the second lesson only (or a select group from each).  c.  Skip 701 if you feel she is solid on the material from the 600s since it is all review.  Skip 801 if she is solid on the 700s since it is all review.  If you look at a calendar, plot it out with a plan to complete each light unit in 2 weeks.  Figure out when you need to start so that she finishes when you hope for her to be done with pre-algebra.

2.  Do 700 then switch to Saxon Algebra.  Several have done that successfully.

3.  Stay with CLE through Algebra I (using the compressed schedule in #1 for pre-algebra) then switch to another program for Geometry/Algebra II.

We used Saxon at the lower levels for a couple of years before switching to CLE, but I don't have experience with it for prealgebra or above. Could you elaborate on why it is preferable to CLE for you?

We had such a hard time finding a math program that works for DD14, that we are sticking with CLE for as long as possible before switching to anything else. It's hard to make the decision to switch when something is working well. You can go through Algebra I with the CLE Sunrise edition now, although as OneStep mentioned, the thing that people most often dislike is that prealgebra is spread over levels 700 and 800.

We used Saxon at the lower levels for a couple of years before switching to CLE, but I don't have experience with it for prealgebra or above. Could you elaborate on why it is preferable to CLE for you?

We had such a hard time finding a math program that works for DD14, that we are sticking with CLE for as long as possible before switching to anything else. It's hard to make the decision to switch when something is working well. You can go through Algebra I with the CLE Sunrise edition now, although as OneStep mentioned, the thing that people most often dislike is that prealgebra is spread over levels 700 and 800.

Having now seen many successful posts regarding compressing 700 and 800 into one year, although we have not done that ourselves for those levels, I have looked at a calendar and it is absolutely doable.  There is so much review in CLE you really aren't missing anything by skipping one set of review problems.  DS is doing the new material from two lessons and review from only one and gets through a light unit every two weeks without much of any difficulty on scheduling or retention at all right now.  Not much difference in the prep work, either.  I do wish they would give an option to do a one year pre-algebra, though.