Menu

What is your favorite WTM Academy course?

I am thinking of having oldest try the writing course in the fall. But I would love to hear about people's favorites.

How old is your oldest? My DD11 is loving Expository Writing 1 with Tom Hummel. She just told me that she wants to take anything/everything that he is teaching next year. Unfortunately, he isn't teaching Expository 2, nor the logic stage creative writing classes, which is what I'm planning to enroll her in. We're also considering the Socratic Discussion class.

How old is your oldest? My DD11 is loving Expository Writing 1 with Tom Hummel. She just told me that she wants to take anything/everything that he is teaching next year. Unfortunately, he isn't teaching Expository 2, nor the logic stage creative writing classes, which is what I'm planning to enroll her in. We're also considering the Socratic Discussion class.

He will need high school level. 

Tom Hummel is an excellent teacher! My oldest is taking 3 classes with him and my son wanted to take Exp Writing with him next year but he is only teaching the older kids. But Kathleen Brian is also an excellent teacher. She was able to take my daughter from not writing ANYTHING to being comfortable with writing papers that were several pages long. That was no easy feat, I tried for years to accomplish what she did with my kid in one year. 

• Like 3

DS16 has just completed the one semester Writing the Research Paper class with Ms Meyers with which both he and I were extremely pleased. Ms Meyers is very organised teacher and an excellent communicator. DS found her instruction engaging and easy to follow, her expectations clear, and her feedback helpful. He also found the textbook to be both useful and user-friendly. FYI: We are in Australia so he did the class via the delayed format.

DS 16 is also currently enrolled in Rhetoric 1 with Ms Richardson which he also studies via the delayed method. However, this class he is not so enamored with. Whenever I ask him how he feels about it, he always says the jury is still out... when pressed further he says he thinks the textbook is awful, but he likes the teacher and doesn't mind the lectures (and in fact actually enjoys the art and poetry appreciation sections that begin each lecture). He is looking forward to the last part of the course (week 20+) when they move on from the textbook, and I will be interested to see how he feels when he has completed the class.

Last year DS also completed the Intro to Rhetoric class taught by Ms Brian with which, again, both he and I were extremely pleased. You can read about the experience here.

• Like 3