Menu

Why so few UC discussions?

quark

Yes, that might get repetitive. The UC tips for homeschoolers says to describe how you homeschooled in the personal statement or the optional additional comments. It just needs to be covered somewhere. My ds had other topics for his personal statements and there were word count limits, so he addressed it under the optional additional comment.

• Like 2

Arrgh! I had typed out a long reply but it got eaten. And I'm in a hurry. :) I just saw this thread yesterday, so I'm jumping in late.

Quark, feel free to PM me; I'm happy to help any way I can. Kathy, thank you for mentioning my son; as you know, he LOVES Berkeley! He is a full TA this semester (as a sophomore) for an intro CS class, running two sections, as well as a mentor for beginning CS students. He is taking a class from this professor right now, and has found a mentor in a wonderful older, female math professor. He is talking about doing the math semester in Moscow or Budapest, but is reluctant to leave his friends in Berkeley ;). And as you say, Quark, $13k/yr is a very good deal! :)

3XBlessed - congratulations to your son on his RCSA candidacy! Isn't it sweet to know he's admitted -- and stands out -- long before regular acceptances go out. My son also had not fulfilled all the a-g requirements, but Berkeley (and UCLA?) is (in)famous for its holistic admissions. We really did not expect that my son would be admitted to Berkeley, much less be considered for Regents. Perhaps because of the 'holistic' admissions process, there are more than a few homeschoolers at Berkeley. One of my son's best friends at Berkeley was homeschooled through high school and is a Drake Scholar (full scholarship, all 4 years!

Perhaps one reason for the lack of discussion of UCs on this board is that the admissions requirements are so CA-specific; also, I think many homeschoolers get scared off by the requirements. When I called UCSD I was told that my son was the only independent (PSA) homeschooler who had applied (or been admitted?). Out of something like 80,000 freshman applicants. Hard to believe, but I suppose it's possible.

I think people are also scared off (as mentioned by several PPs) by hearing that it's hard to graduate in 4 years. I know this is true of the CSUs, so perhaps people are mixing up the CSU and UC systems. Or perhaps this is true at some UCs, but at Berkeley, at least, you have to finish in 8 semesters (OK, they don't count summers, but my son will work this summer, not go to school; I think it's good to have a break from academics, plus we are all about summer jobs). As a double major, he is allowed 9 semesters (with unlimited units). 

Unit Ceiling

In order to allow fair access to the College of Letters and Science to as many eligible applicants as possible each year, the College has set limits on the maximum number of semesters and units allocated for each student. It is important to plan your program carefully, with the unit ceiling in mind, to be sure that you will be able to graduate within the limits and that you will achieve as many of your educational goals as possible.

Students who enter Berkeley as freshmen and declare a single major may take an unlimited number of units if they finish their degree in eight semesters of college work; for those pursuing more than one major, nine semesters are allowed. Transfer students with single majors are allowed four semesters to finish the degree and five semesters for those pursuing more than one major. Note: "Semesters" are defined as fall and spring terms (quarters or semesters); summer terms are not counted.

Students who do not complete their degree within these semester limits are subject to the unit ceiling.

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 5

A few more things I forgot -- I called UC Irvine (as I knew they would answer their phones :) ) and got some good advice from someone in their admissions office -- that my son should use the two "additional comments" boxes on the application to talk about how he had fulfilled (some of) the a-g requirements (AP, CC, SAT, SAT subject tests, etc.), and also how and why he had homeschooled. This could also be addressed in the personal essay. 

The Regents scholarship is a good deal (loans are replaced by grants). Tuition is covered for family incomes up to $80k, and the contribution of middle-class applicants' parents is limited to 15% of income ("middle class" being defined as $80-$150k). (The OOS supplement is not covered by these programs.)

hs2coll is a good source of information; I have corresponded with several people on that list. The HSC yahoo group also has several UC discussions; this speaker has chimed in there with his (vast) experience. I spoke on a panel with him recently about college-prep homeschooling. One of the things he says is that if you call five UCs, you will get five different answers (such as to the question of test scores not counting if the student has taken a UC-transferable CC class in the subject). True, but it doesn't hurt to call around, and go in person if you can.

Oh, another question was whether the UCs take CC credits. My son had taken classes at two CCs and a CSU; Berkeley took all of the courses, along with his many APs, and at age 18, mid-sophomore year, he has senior standing ... and could graduate now, but he plans to take every one of his nine allowed semesters. :) Go Bears! 

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 6

Tuition is covered[/url] for family incomes up to $80k, and the contribution of middle-class applicants' parents is limited to 15% of income ("middle class" being defined as $80-$150k).

We would be in that range if hubby gets no bonus and no RSUs in the year use for FAFSA calculations. Else we are over that range for gross but way in the range for net. We are not underwater on our home as well. Good info to know though.

• Like 1

We would be in that range if hubby gets no bonus and no RSUs in the year use for FAFSA calculations. Else we are over that range for gross but way in the range for net. We are not underwater on our home as well. Good info to know though.

hint maybe hubby should take a month leave/sabbatical in the qualifying FAFSA year

hint maybe hubby should take a month leave/sabbatical in the qualifying FAFSA year

He gets full pay for sabbatical and for leave since he has accrued more than a month worth. So no dent in annual income.

The annual RSUs given are what tip us over the range and they are not as easy to liquidate as ESPP. I am still waiting for the tax form from Morgan Stanley to finish my family's tax efiling.

Cal states don't require a-g.

They do unfortunately

CSU a-g page

http://www.csumentor.edu/planning/high_school/subjects.asp

CSU and UC a-g comparison page

http://www.ucop.edu/agguide/a-g-requirements/files/UC_CSU%20ComparisonMatrix.pdf

ETA:

Page 14 of Cal Maritime brochure

https://www.csum.edu/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=eeafacdd-a968-4f66-946f-263040768b3e&groupId=62629

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

"Calculate GPA using only “a-g†approved courses taken after the 9th grade, including summer courses.

All “a-g†courses and grades must be reported."

This really limits the number of courses used in the GPA assuming that application is around early fall senior year. One bad class could send you packing.

Why not 9th grade?  Especially for advanced students they may be taking critical courses.

• Like 1

"Calculate GPA using only “a-g†approved courses taken after the 9th grade, including summer courses.

All “a-g†courses and grades must be reported."

This really limits the number of courses used in the GPA assuming that application is around early fall senior year. One bad class could send you packing.

Why not 9th grade? Especially for advanced students they may be taking critical courses.

Way back when I was a freshman in CA, they told us this rule was to take pressure off freshman year. Some kids need time to adjust to high school level work.

• Like 3

Way back when I was a freshman in CA, they told us this rule was to take pressure off freshman year. Some kids need time to adjust to high school level work.

so "punish" the successful 9th graders??

I believe high school education should be a meritocracy.  Of course real life doesn't come close but at least expose the kids to effort equals reward along the way.

• Like 1

I have heard this too. I think it is true, but it is probably also true that it is partly just because they can -- the CSU system is "the largest four-year public university system in the U.S." with 23 campuses and 450,000 students. The logistics are staggering. The UC system has 10 campuses and 240,000 students. Anything they can do to streamline the amount of paperwork is usually done; they simply don't have the capacity for individual attention. Students needing this would be better served at smaller schools -- private or CC. I remember in the early 1980s when Berkeley switched from quarters to semesters (I was at a nearby school that still uses quarters). The main reason, we heard, was to cut the amount of paperwork by 33%; for such a large school, it makes a huge difference.

Having said all this ... every time my son or I have gone in person to the academic records office or financial aid office at a CSU, UC, or CCC (another enormous system, with 113 (!) campuses and over 2.4 million (!) students) (and I have done this at all 3 systems :) ), I have received prompt, courteous attention. However, the burden is on the student or parent to initiate, and make an effort.

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 3

Having said all this ... every time my son or I have gone in person to the academic records office or financial aid office at a CSU, UC, or CCC (another enormous system, with 113 (!) campuses and over 2.4 million (!) students) (and I have done this at all 3 systems :) ), I have received prompt, courteous attention. However, the burden is on the student or parent to initiate, and make an effort.

Laura, please excuse my ignorance but this is the second time today that I have read about approaching admissions.

For what purpose should I do that? For example, when DS was enrolling in the CC, we approached admissions together for a paper enrollment form because he was below 13 and couldn't use the online system. We did that at 2 CCs and we were very fortunate to receive prompt, courteous attention like you say (some of our friends didn't).

Second case in point, DS and I made an appointment online and approached a UC for an admissions talk to give him a good idea of what freshman vs transfer admissions will entail (the CC naturally only focuses on transfer admissions during counseling sessions).

So if DS was interested in applying to UC (or even a private uni), should we make an appointment for him to speak to someone in admissions in addition to whatever information we glean from the websites? Does that demonstrate additional interest somehow? Why I am wondering this is that UC already clearly states their homeschooler policy. What additional benefit will there be for DS (and/or me) to approach them directly?

I realize that I might be misunderstanding the purpose of your statement above. :001_smile:

Laura, please excuse my ignorance but this is the second time today that I have read about approaching admissions.

For what purpose should I do that? For example, when DS was enrolling in the CC, we approached admissions together for a paper enrollment form because he was below 13 and couldn't use the online system. We did that at 2 CCs and we were very fortunate to receive prompt, courteous attention like you say (some of our friends didn't).

Second case in point, DS and I made an appointment online and approached a UC for an admissions talk to give him a good idea of what freshman vs transfer admissions will entail (the CC naturally only focuses on transfer admissions during counseling sessions).

So if DS was interested in applying to UC (or even a private uni), should we make an appointment for him to speak to someone in admissions in addition to whatever information we glean from the websites? Does that demonstrate additional interest somehow? Why I am wondering this is that UC already clearly states their homeschooler policy. What additional benefit will there be for DS (and/or me) to approach them directly?

I realize that I might be misunderstanding the purpose of your statement above. :001_smile:

Quark, I'm happy to clarify what I meant. With regard to approaching admissions offices, I hope others will chime in here, and there are also many discussions of this on this forum and elsewhere.

Approaching the UCs was a bit different from the CC, as you say, but I gained courage from the ladies on this forum, since we are also our students' guidance counselors as well as parents. I always prefaced my inquiries by saying that my son had a different situation from most of their applicants, and as his mother/counselor, I wanted to ask a few questions. Would it have been better if my son had been the one making contact? Perhaps ... but I knew he wouldn't :), and even if he had, he wouldn't have been "chatty" (which is where you can find out a lot of extra information). 

Given their size, I seriously doubt that the UCs keep track of demonstrated interest (besides -- perhaps -- noting who takes a campus tour, or things of that sort). When I called or visited, it was for my benefit, to find out some necessary information.

I called UC Irvine to get advice on confusing parts of the UC application, including how to list outside-the-box courses. (My son wanted to fill out his applications all by himself, but eventually realized that some guidance would be helpful. :) ) I called UC San Diego after he was admitted, to find out what they meant by an "authorized" transcript. I went in person to talk with a Berkeley admissions counselor (again, after my son was admitted) to verify that they did not need an "authorized" transcript (I asked, "You mean I can just print it out at home and send it in?!?" :)  ... this was not true at UCSD!), and with financial aid because I didn't understand the various loans, work-study, etc. (I went in summer, when they weren't busy, and they were incredibly helpful in explaining my son's situation, and financial aid in general.) These contacts were all "justified" because I was acting as a guidance counselor and as a parent of an admitted student. I guess I'm saying I didn't "pester" the admissions & records office, or ask questions better posed by my son, at either UCs or the private unis to which he applied, but in each case had (I think!) legitimate, direct questions. We never asked anything that was clear from their website.

I hope that helps ... :)

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 2

We live in CA and dd applied to 3 UC's. Filling out the application was 'interesting' because the UC system does not require the students to submit a transcript until accepted. DD basically had to manually type in all the courses she took throughout high school. This is what every applicant has to do regardless of being homeschooled or not. 

While I am not sure when the application requirements changed, I know that this year, homeschooled students do not necessarily need to fulfill the a-g requirements. (They will if they use a charter school and receive an accredited diploma.) UC's now have a admission by examination policy for homeschoolers. Students simply plug in their SAT scores (I believe the SAT and two SAT subject tests) in a formula which spews out a number that will be used for admittance purposes. Here is the link:

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/examination/index.html

This being said, we are still waiting to hear from all three UC's dd applied to. Hopefully, we will receive enveloped soon because she is becoming anxious. She was accepted at several out-of-state colleges and some were very generous with their scholarships (Purdue University, University Oregon). 

I have heard from many homeschool parents that getting into a 'famous' UC is becoming incredibly hard, especially as a homeschooler living in CA, or any CA student for that matter. UC's tend to admit more out-of-state students. Could this have something to do with the incredibly high tuition rate? Here is an interesting article regarding this topic.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-me-ln-uc-admit-20150702-story.html

• Like 2