Menu

x-post, article: The Math Revolution

wapiti

Yup, reminds me of this. https://www.maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf  He perfectly explains what many of us felt but couldn't put into words. I cried the first time I read it, realizing how many kids suffer through math class in schools.

Yes. That's pretty much exactly how I feel, but I'm not so poetic or good at writing to have written it down that way. His music example is really just about the best example of what I feel is happening with math. It's so pointless and so... disheartening. I don't know that I know how to say it any better.

What do we do for our kids if we don't have any math resources in our areas or the knowledge to mentor them in this real math ourselves? How am I supposed to help my mathy kids get off on the right start with problem solving and conceptual thinking? The suggestion to start your own math circle is great if you actually have the ability to teach this way. I can purchase the right curriculum and drive my kid three hours to participate in Math Kangaroo, but what about when she asks those really big-leap questions and I don't have the faintest inkling?

If it takes a musician to teach music, how do I learn the music of math?

• Like 1

I consider myself mathy, but now I feel like I'm in a race to stay ahead of my dds.  I work ahead in Intermediate Algebra, and I am working through all the historical AMC12s.  (I finished all the AMC8s and AMC10s last year.)  It's a lot of work, but worth it, as math coaches at this level are fairly rare, and my kids prefer to work with me anyway.  

Deficient math ability can be compensated for with hard work and practice.  Do the problems before your kids do them.  Work ahead during breaks and summer.  And for the questions you don't know, there's wikipedia and youtube and other websites.  

What do we do for our kids if we don't have any math resources in our areas or the knowledge to mentor them in this real math ourselves? How am I supposed to help my mathy kids get off on the right start with problem solving and conceptual thinking? The suggestion to start your own math circle is great if you actually have the ability to teach this way. I can purchase the right curriculum and drive my kid three hours to participate in Math Kangaroo, but what about when she asks those really big-leap questions and I don't have the faintest inkling?

If it takes a musician to teach music, how do I learn the music of math?

Let me know if you find out. :(