Menu

What would you love to see a Christian book on?

Whereneverever

What topic or subject have you really wished for a book on, but not found something you love?

Personally, I'd love a good updated Psalms book.

About the psalms, or the psalms updated? Just curious.

I'd like to see more really excellent Christian fiction.

My favorites are "The Hammer of God" (absolutely horrible, fully non-representative title that put me off of this for many years) and "That Hideous Strength".  They are both pretty old.  We need some new, complex, well-written Christian fiction.  

I also enjoy appreciative but somewhat clueless books by nonChristians about Christian cultures.  Seeing a Christian community as viewed by a sympathetic outsider is really interesting.  The best example that I know of of this is "Plain and Simple" by Sue Bender.

In the area of commentary, a really good, thoroughly convincing book on distinguishing between fulfilled ceremonial law and still in force moral law in the New Testament would be great.  And also, something I have always wondered about that I think would make a great PhD thesis to be expanded into a book would be something on which times the word 'men' in the NT refers to 'all people' and which times it refers to 'all male people'.  I don't know Biblical languages, but have developed the impression that there is sometimes a specificity of gender and sometimes there isn't, in wordings that are rendered the same in English.

• Like 3

A "facts of life" book for teens that isn't a beat-down on purity. Not meaning it doesn't advocate for abstinence, but rather doesn't put the focus on "purity" at the expense of the rest of the story.

This! I tell my kids that I want them to wait, but I also want them to be informed if they do choose to have sex AND I want them to not feel their value is diminished if they don't wait.

• Like 4

I totally agree on the need for a realistic book or series of books (age appropriate) about sex. 

Teach abstinence, great. But, recognize that all kids aren't going to do that - include accurate information about pregnancy prevention and STD's. 

The book should also, IMO, let the kids know they can ask their doctor about these things privately. If they don't want to mention it during an appointment when a parent might be there, they should feel comfortable calling the doctor ahead of time or in between appointments. The doctors are there to help them with their health, not to scare them away from their faith. 

No shaming! 

• Like 2

And also, something I have always wondered about that I think would make a great PhD thesis to be expanded into a book would be something on which times the word 'men' in the NT refers to 'all people' and which times it refers to 'all male people'. I don't know Biblical languages, but have developed the impression that there is sometimes a specificity of gender and sometimes there isn't, in wordings that are rendered the same in English.

That sounds amazing and if I wasn't so busy I'd write it myself!

• Like 1

...snip...

In the area of commentary, a really good, thoroughly convincing book on distinguishing between fulfilled ceremonial law and still in force moral law in the New Testament would be great.  And also, something I have always wondered about that I think would make a great PhD thesis to be expanded into a book would be something on which times the word 'men' in the NT refers to 'all people' and which times it refers to 'all male people'.  I don't know Biblical languages, but have developed the impression that there is sometimes a specificity of gender and sometimes there isn't, in wordings that are rendered the same in English.

The New RSV had this as one of its goals.  The translation is a bit bumpy in spots, but the translators kept the distinction you seek as a priority in translation.  Just so you know.  :0)

I'd like to see Christian books for women that focus on theology and sound doctrine without getting overly bogged down in life experiences, feelings, and "girly" tones that make them read like group therapy instead of serious study. And what's with the misconception that all women are damsels in distress waiting to be carried off into the sunset by God (or a man)? Blech! :ack2:

Actually I'd like to write that book, but I haven't figured out how, because theology and sound doctrine aren't gendered topics...

• Like 6

A "facts of life" book for teens that isn't a beat-down on purity. Not meaning it doesn't advocate for abstinence, but rather doesn't put the focus on "purity" at the expense of the rest of the story.

This! I tell my kids that I want them to wait, but I also want them to be informed if they do choose to have sex AND I want them to not feel their value is diminished if they don't wait.

I totally agree on the need for a realistic book or series of books (age appropriate) about sex. 

Teach abstinence, great. But, recognize that all kids aren't going to do that - include accurate information about pregnancy prevention and STD's. 

The book should also, IMO, let the kids know they can ask their doctor about these things privately. If they don't want to mention it during an appointment when a parent might be there, they should feel comfortable calling the doctor ahead of time or in between appointments. The doctors are there to help them with their health, not to scare them away from their faith. 

No shaming! 

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :iagree:  :thumbup1:  :thumbup:  :party: 

I don't agree or anything... ;)

• Like 3

One about the constellation issues when two professing Christians marry and have kids and make their lifestyle decisions according to their faith, then one parent walks away from the faith but stays in the family and how to deal with all the dynamics of that.

Oh my goodness - yes PLEASE!!!