Menu

Tell me about your "School Room"

Or wherever you do school/store school STUFF.

We're getting ready to redo our office/ family room  (Supposed to be a formal dining room but we have never used it that way) where my 9th grader does most of school (though he is often at the kitchen table and/or if he's watching youtube we throw it up on the tv in the living room).  This is the room right inside our front door so it has to remain reasonable attractive and organized.

We're replacing our Giant L shaped desk with two smaller desks in different parts of the room; in preparation for bringing our 6th grader home next year and rearranging things. So we'll have two good sized desks a big bookshelf full of school books and supplies. and two comfy chairs for reading and hanging out and talking in... and a big armoire filled with scrapbooks, because that's where they live. :)

What are your must-have, and love-to-have, and wish-I-had storage and organization items?

I'm actually pretty pleased with our current layout, but we've been home schooling right from the start and my kids are much younger than yours, so this is probably different from what you need.

Opposite of you, we eat in our "formal" (as we get :P) dining room every night and the eating area in the kitchen is where we homeschool. Things I really appreciate:

- Lots of shelving so I have everything I need almost without moving. I take an extra 3 minutes to go get something and they're all gone - either literally out to play or lost to a major case of the sillies with each other lol. Not incredibly pretty but I also added in a few of those smaller plastic drawers to fit in the shelving for smaller items like school supplies and reference sheets. And we have a ton of plastic shoeboxes for math manipulatives. I also have books stored in groups in baskets (one for each kid for their independent reading, one for history books, one for morning time, etc)

- We have a giant window with a great view of the Fraser River. Not a lot of traffic, but some awesome sightings of eagles, geese, deer, sheep and the odd feral cat lol. I adore the natural light (and it only gets morning sun which is also nice) and it makes a great back-up white board to mix something like math drill up a bit every now and then.

-It's close to the kitchen and has a roomy closet just off the hall for "school toys" for the little one and art supplies for everyone.

-It's decently roomy. We've filled it up with a small computer desk, a salvaged old-school school desk and a medium sized table in the middle. But we can all fit without too much squeeze as long as we're not all moving around at once lol. And while it's not blocked off from the rest of the house (as in by doorways and sound proofing) the other living areas of the house are visually blocked off to minimize distraction.

-Enough wall space for a few maps, AAS whiteboard and room to diplay works of art :)

• Like 1

We just got a school room this year and it's made such a difference in our productivity -- not to mention the mental benefits of less clutter in our living/dining area upstairs. We have three sets of bookshelves, three school desks (purchased from a private school that closed), a work table, and, a big soft rug and a bean bag chair. It's the biggest bedroom in our house and it's downstairs. I actually like this because it forces ME to focus on school and not multi-task by trying to do dishes or whatnot while teaching. It's also just off our family room so when needed, I can send one child out to read on the couch or watch a video for school while I have one-on-one time with another. 

I wish I had one of the big Ikea Kallax organizers and some identical Ikea desks for more of a uniform look, but what we have works even if it doesn't look like the rooms I see on the various homeschool blogs. 

My oldest son is doing K... Things will have to change as he gets older and DD starts homeschooling. Right now we have no homeschooling room. We homeschool at our kitchen/dining table, he sits in a booster seat to write (he doesn't like that particularly, but it's better for his posture). I have a shelf we found by the trash a few years ago that is perfectly fine but doesn't fit our decor (I only care about my decor sometimes). That shelf has all the books, curriculum, math manipulatives, games and various playdough/puzzles... And we have the magnetic calendar by the homeschool things.

I have a couple of small chalk tablets. But again as he gets older I may need to get a larger white board or maybe actually make space and use chalk paint on the wall or a door for demonstrations :) For now our set up works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have a dedicated homeschool room.  When we started out a lot of school was done on the couch in the living room.  Slowly we moved toward using the dining room table.  We don't have the space to have a room set aside for just school.  I have a couple bookcases that are dedicated for just books for school, and a lot more with other books.  For science equipment I have a set of six plastic containers that we store in the kitchen above the cupboards, along with our microscope and scale.  The kids each has their own computer where they can have their own space if they want.  The only thing I kind of wish i had was more wall space for a map or two to put up, but it isn't something that is necessary, it would just be nice.

My schoolroom is mostly full of Ikea furniture that I slowly acquired over the years. I use a Hemnes chest of drawers to store art supplies. I have a Trofast system for workboxes for my first grader. My computer desk has a Gerton top with two legs on one side and set of drawers on the other side. My kids have old hand-me-down computer desks. There's a couple bookshelves and a file cabinet (for holding my school plans). Most of our school supplies are kept in this behemoth:

school%20storage_zpsr83lcf2y.jpg

We mostly do school on our living room couch and dining room table. But it's nice to have one room to store all the stuff.

Ruth

• Like 1

Our schoolroom is our dining room. My favorite things have been the big pantry that I took out of the kitchen and moved to the dining area. Now all the workbooks, papers, etc have a home. I also have two open bookcases that house library books in one place and reference books in the other. We have our whiteboard that gets a lot of use by the boys and by anybody that visits. People just like writing or drawing on the whiteboard. 

I have quite a bit of wall space now that I can use the kitchen wall where the pantry once was. So you can check out the Latin grammar charts while you cook your dinner. :laugh:

• Like 2

We are a bit of everywhere. 2 bookshelves in the living room, with in-use books, curriculum, and baskets of manipulatives and supplies. They have cabinet bottoms, which is a god-send for art supplies and board games (aka the better out of sight items).

Our kitchen table is our main work space. We have a storage bench as some seating with more supplies, mostly for the littles as they are the only ones who want to crawl under the table to access them.

The basement has 4 more bookshelves, where I keep out-of-current use books, curriculum, and supplies.

All the kids have bookshelves in their bedrooms for "their" books.

• Like 1

Our school room was our family room in the basement. The central feature was a couch with a huge white board over it. At one end of the couch there is a set of shelves commonly referred to as my "teacher shelves". At the other end of the couch was a stack of cubes, one per child where their current books were stored. There is a large wooden table that was used for science and another set of shelves for science supplies. There was one more set of shelves for books. 

We had desks for both kids and those actually ended up in the next room. My kids weren't fans of using desks. They worked in their rooms or on the couch. We loved our school room.

No school room here and I don't think it would work. My school age boys are very sensory sensitive and are not able to think at all if there are other things/noises while they're working. My 7 year old works on a table in my room (downstairs), 13 year old in his own room, and my girls who are oblivious to everything around them work at the table while the twinnies run amuck.

I am very grateful to have an L-shaped configuration of built-in bookcases--with bookshelves on the top, and a row of cabinets below.  That's probably my #1 thing in our house.  Keeps the books in great order and keeps the papers, photo albums, preschool toys, DVDs, etc.  all out of sight!!

Another thing that helps a lot for us is that inside a closet in our school area I have a hanging over-the-door shoe organizer.  I use it to store office supplies (binder clips, sharpies, glue sticks, post-its, pencils, erasers, rubber bands, paper clips, etc etc).  Vertical storage is the best!

I find that in reality we do school in several places, but having a centralized location for our supplies is really helpful.  

I remember reading about Joyce Swann's system (she had 10 children!) which was basically to school at the table, and then at the end of the day, each child put their school items back into a box, and took them to their bedroom closets for storage.  We do so many things as a group that it wouldn't work for us (she used Calvert for each child), but I thought it was a nice, smart, simple approach if you have children working on different levels and limited space!

Must haves

- working surface (large) where nothing is stored. This could be a desk, a table, whatever.

- shelf to store books in current use (not on above-mentioned work surface)

- a computer and printer

- a place to store all the things we are not using currently

- white board (mine is not mounted to the wall, though that might be nice)

Nice to have

- boxes, cubbies, interior desk space or some other spot for students' stuff

- drawers for art supplies, extra paper and ink, scissors, glue, rulers, etc

- cupboard for bulkier items like science supplies, math manipulatives, globe, etc

- extra work surface for projects that can't really be cleaned up until they are done

- large display bookcase for all those great books you have read or will read

We use Stuuva cupboards from ikea. Kids have desks, plus a table for working on (they work all around the house though). There's a kneewall room with a large bookshelf, printer, extra notebooks and binders, and office stuff (shredder, laminator). And Lego robotics.

• Like 2

We have a dedicated room which is usually referred to as "the library" because it houses most of our books.. 

One side is more comfy sitting lounging area with a fire place, the other side has a table for learning & the educational books behind it. There are other bookcases in the room {& around the house} but this is the room we retreat to every day for our formal learning. :)

• Like 1

The era our home was built often featured a combined formal living and dining room mega space at the front of the house.  That's the space we've dedicated for school.  We call it the library.

The formal living space is lined with book shelves.  All of them have doors, some which are glass and some which are solid (cupboard).  This was my #1 need LOL.  I needed a place to store books we use regularly, or which I want used regularly so they must remain in sight. I also needed a place to hide unorganized school stuff whilst keeping them convenient.  We also have a comfortable couch and oversized chair/ottoman, which is where the kids do a lot of their reading and online work.

There is a step up into the formal dining room.  Here we have a standard table for seat work. I prefer it to desks - more versatile, takes up less room, and I already owned it.  My #1 priority in this room was a glass top for the table. Maybe it's just my kids who take out their frustrations by carving into the wood table tops? But also, with a wet erase marker, the glass top makes for handy note-taking for ALL subjects (and Mom's to-do list for each kid).  We do have a magnetic white board mounted for ease of using AAS.  This is also where the family desktop computer lives. I can see it from most of the rooms on this level, and especially from the adjoining kitchen.  This helps me help the kids to stay on track. The lure of Youtube and Google Chats is strong! LOL

We do spread out around the home for school, doing it in the kitchen, den, etc. And the kids spend a significant amount of non-school time in the library - reading, playing games, crafts, etc. But it's nice to have one area dedicated to the STORAGE of our home school stuffs.

We have a school room. For our family, it allows us to be more productive. Here's a link: http://larsonboysacademy.blogspot.com/2013/06/school-room-overhaul.html?m=1

Bookshelves, of course, are important. I still like having the closed cabinet for the books the boys are currently using because most still struggle with placing books neatly on the shelves where they belong. Baskets or bins have become important for neatly storing science materials on the shelves. Good lighting. Since our room is in the basement, this means lots of lights are on.

• Like 1

Our school room is awful, so don't follow our example!  Maybe my post is more of a warning...  Get some good organizational furniture.  Don't be like us!  We have a 30-foot-tall leaning tower of physics kits, building kits, geography puzzles, snap circuits, microscopes, art supplies.  There's a giant stack of paper in the corner that I can't seem to tame and it seems to move around the room on its own.  I told myself last year that I would finally file those papers.  Don't put animal habitats in your school room, either.  We have a leopard gecko and guinea pigs in there.  They must be the most educated pets in the world.  They've heard all the classics.

And trust me, you don't want me to post a picture!

Get some good organizational furniture!  And a good filing system.  And a system for your art supplies!  Art supplies are the worst.   :eek:

• Like 5

Expedit cubes for reference books that my kids share

Bookshelf each for their own books

Rack for the science stuff and other non-book stuff

We wanted to put the multipurpose color inkjet printer on a kitchen cart's top shelf but the entire cart vibrated so the printer is on the floor. Our old multipurpose monochrome laser printer was bulkier but did not vibrate so we did't expect this one to.

Our school room was our family room in the basement. The central feature was a couch with a huge white board over it. At one end of the couch there is a set of shelves commonly referred to as my "teacher shelves". At the other end of the couch was a stack of cubes, one per child where their current books were stored. There is a large wooden table that was used for science and another set of shelves for science supplies. There was one more set of shelves for books. 

We had desks for both kids and those actually ended up in the next room. My kids weren't fans of using desks. They worked in their rooms or on the couch. We loved our school room.

Was yours a finished basement or partial finish? Closed or walk-out?

We have a partial finished (no carpeting) closed basement and I wondered if it would work on for a school room. 

here is our schoolroom http://adamantacademyschooldays.blogspot.com/p/our-classroom.html   It is really all about the kids. I have another smaller room with my desk, computer, printer and my shelf of teacher books etc. They all use the table or they may go off seperate when reading my two youngers prefer the floor with blankets LOL My oldest may go to the couch. They do all the school related movies and math u see dvds on the TV I wanted them to have their own workboxes right next to them for easy reach. 

• Like 1

Our school room is a bonus room.  It opens to a hallway so I only have two long walls and bits of another (it has large windows) to work with.  One long wall is lined with bookcases. The wall with windows has  2 10 drawer Trofast systems (workboxes!) side by side on the right bit of the wall with windows and a big magnetic whiteboard on the left bit..   I have three filing cabinets lined up side by side to create a low wall in the opening to the hallway. Our printers sit on top of the filing cabinets. We have a desk, a computer station, and a long folding table as our large pieces of furniture in the school room. The folding table is my desk and where the middle two children work with me.

We've had school in a variety of spaces. I need filing cabinets, bookcases, white boards, and wide expansive areas for sprawling with books at the table.

My schoolroom is my favorite room in the house! Keep in mind that it's not professional level fancy, and I've been working on it, on a budget, for several years, and we put on some finishing touches last summer (paint and lighting). It's a large narrowish room with laminate flooring (because that's what was here -- it cleans up well and has held up well to five small children) and southern/eastern exposure. Sometimes it is cold, and sometimes the sun can be overwhelming in certain spots.

The overhead lighting is because I complained that it could be dark, but I'm sensitive to LED brightness. So DH put in two overhead LED lights, with a dimmer switch, so I can add as much or as little as I need. They really add a nice touch and diffuse well throughout the space.

Eastern wall: It is light blue with cream trim around the windows and cream lace sheers. It holds a white board and two framed maps (US and world) and a frame for nature prints that I rotate. It has three wall light sconces, which look nice but which don't light the whole room enough, hence the overhead lights. Along that wall I have (in order) a desk where I put out preschool activities, a window (where the AC unit goes in summer), a cube for the toddler's toys (which has our reference and shared books on top), a dark red low entertainment center where I keep the globe, books I'm using with the preschoolers, and a dark blue filing crate for papers and binders. (The lower part of that has spaces where I keep library books they use for school. We have lots of books.). Then there is a low lockable cabinet that has a crate for books on top and printer ink, math manipulative so, and anything else I want to keep out of toddler hands behind the lower doors. Then a window with a pencil sharpener on the sill and the corner.

Southern wall: Cream with light blue around the window. This holds my stand for my inbox of papers I need to check, then my massive desk. It's a huge old office desk with a bunch of drawers for stuff I collect, and it holds my printer/scanner and a bigger monitor (small TV), plus cords for my laptop and tablet. I love the desk! Then there is a box for board books and my rocking chair and footstool. This is where I read aloud at night if we don't snuggle up on my bed.

Western wall: Cream with light blue around the doorways (which lead into the playroom and a spare room that should be a living room but which holds the kick dummy, the trampoline, and our ridiculous collection of toy vehicles). It has a poster frame that I rotate and a space for whatever other stuff I want to display. (Right now, it is four maps of ancient times; next year it will probably be my chart of English kings and queens.). I also want to put small frames for displaying our picture study prints. There is a table that holds a bin for each child's current books and notebooks and their pencil boxes. And the wooden rocking horse is often parked there too.

Northern wall: Also cream with light blue trim and a doorway that leads to the kitchen. This has a table that is ostensibly for a nature table but which usually has my knitting bag on it so it doesn't get stepped on. Then a big cabinet for art and craft supplies and a large set of white wire shelves that hold my stash of printer paper from a Staples deal, extra notebooks and paper, past portfolios, and overflow from my upstairs shelves that store our support group's lending library. This space used to have a set of stairs, which DH ripped out last summer (we have a second set in the back of the house), so we are using the shelves temporarily to decide whether we want shelving or cabinets or a closet there.

In the center of the room, closer to the southern wall, I have two tables, 2x4, I think, zip-tied together into one 4x4 table, with a dark blue tablecloth on them, with chairs around it. This is for anyone to use for work or art. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they bring their individual work to me at my desk, and sometimes I come to them at the table, and sometimes we go in another room. The north central space has room for floor puzzles and toddler play.

Around the entire top of the room are the Veritas Press cards, mixing Bible and history, from Genesis to the Fall of Rome, a visual timeline that we refer to as we read the Bible and ancient history.

What I love: Lots of space to house stuff, lots of flexible space, the color. I like that there is visual appeal, but it's not too cluttered, IMO. The blue and cream give it a unifying look but are also calming.

What I don't love: It can be cold and drafty sometimes in the winter. And five kids is a lot of commotion, so it's rare that all of them are working in their at the same time. In theory, they all sit at the central table quietly working, but in reality, noises and music distract each other, so they often scatter.

We live in a big house, but mostly because the bedrooms are big. There was no extra room or space to have school in, so my dh created a homeschool room in the garage. So awesome. We have desks, book shelves, a couch, a rocker, and a center table for crafts.

I think the one thing that I love about my room, is that I can shut the door and go into the house when we are done. School work stays in the school room. :)

Hmmmmm . . . I should add that I'm lucky enough to have a shared office with my partner.  In it, I keep "to do this year" stuff in a big dresser: science supplies, a drawer for each kid to keep future books (Math Mammoth 4B while we're working on 4A etc), printer paper since this is where our main computer and printer are.  I've also claimed the closet and I keep all our spare office supplies and my own homeschooling/educational reference books, craft supplies I don't want out in general population (hello glitter!!).  I also keep the yearly binders here - Every few weeks I empty out the kids' binders into their own personal yearly binder (with tabs per subject) and refill them from the same binder.  

Also, in my bedroom closet I've stashed a small book case for books that we won't be using this year but I have a use for.   Specifically books or programs that my older kid(s) have used that I'm waiting for the younger kids to be ready for or really great books I think we'll use for a certain era of history or field of science we're not in this current year.

I keep my school room for current, every day (or at least every week) things only!  The way I do things, there's really quite a lot of STUFF.  And I use the library for so much too!

• Like 2

We used to have a table in the kitchen for eating and a table in the dining room for schoolwork.  I found though that one was constantly covered in clutter and unusable since it didn't need to be cleaned for eating.  

So... we got rid of the kitchen table.  We took the leaf out of the dining room table and made it smaller.  And now we use the dining room table for schoolwork and dining.  This guarantees that it gets cleaned off several times a day.  It's been working for about 2 years now and I love it.  We put the leaf back in once to accommodate dinner with another family and I quickly took it out again when people tried setting the table on only part of the table and 'clearing' it by putting things to one side of the table.

The dining room and living room (with 3 couches and mini trampoline) are attached.  The dining room is surrounded by bookshelves, so our school supplies, arts and crafts supplies, board games, scrapbooks, and many of our other books surround the dining room table.  I have a mini-desk and small rolling filing cabinet for my computer and scanner in the dining room as well.  The printer lives on one of our rather big end tables in the living room.

I keep all the 'upcoming school stuff' that we are not currently working on in a different location (bookcase near the stairs to the basement).  I am the only one who ever needs that stuff, so it doesn't need to be super accessible, but I see it every time I go downstairs to do laundry so I never forget about it.

We have a finished basement and the school room is the family room you walk into when you go downstairs. The big kids' bedroom, bathroom and the laundry room is down there too. It is a walkout and there is a huge window in the family room. The sunshine pours into that room in the mornings which is perfect since that's when we're doing school.

My desk with the desktop pc, the piano, 3 bookcases, a TV on a tv stand, a cubby unit with canvas bins, the fish tank, the easel, the futon and 2 leather storage ottomans take up the space in the room. We have kids' artwork, maps, chalkboards, dry erase boards, bulletin boards, and timelines on the walls. Anything that can't be done on carpet like paint, playdough, etc., are stored in the upstairs hall closet and are easily accessible to the kitchen table.

I am in the process of updating the room to incorporate a reading nook and a nature study area. So excited about the changes!

We have a room right as you come in from the garage. I guess it could be an office or a craft room, but we use it as our schoolroom. It is connected to the kitchen through the utility room and also has a door to our sunroom. One whole wall is upper cabinets and a built-in desk with lower cabinets. I store all our completed schoolwork, books, office supplies, art/craft stuff, and my scrapbooking supplies in the cabinets.

We love doing school in here! It is separate enough from the rest of the house that it's easy to focus on school, yet it's close enough to the kitchen and laundry that I can accomplish chores while the kids are working.

The only downside I've found so far is that there's not a lot of wall space due to having doors on 3 walls and the desk/cabinets on the 4th. And it can get a little warm/noisy if I'm doing laundry, but we can shut the door and that helps.

My girls like it because they have a quick escape into the backyard through the sunroom when it's time for a break!

Lana

This is my first time attaching pictures so hopefully this works. :) We have a very small school room that used to be a bedroom. It's about 8'x10'. We have a folding table, a guest bed that pulls out to a king size for guests, wall shelves for books, a little drawer unit for art supplies, and games and extra supplies in the closet, which I built shelves into. We also have a little area for our cd player and mp3 player speakers. And of course our fish. We use our room every day and love it!

post-56378-0-35755200-1455040127_thumb.jpgpost-56378-0-37631900-1455040159_thumb.jpgpost-56378-0-06464500-1455040185_thumb.jpg

post-56378-0-35755200-1455040127_thumb.jpg

post-56378-0-37631900-1455040159_thumb.jpg

post-56378-0-06464500-1455040185_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

We live in a big house, but mostly because the bedrooms are big. There was no extra room or space to have school in, so my dh created a homeschool room in the garage. So awesome. We have desks, book shelves, a couch, a rocker, and a center table for crafts.

I think the one thing that I love about my room, is that I can shut the door and go into the house when we are done. School work stays in the school room. :)

This sounds great! "But," my DH would protest, "where do they park their cars?" Do you have a big enough garage to have that room as extra, or do you park outside? Was your garage insulated to begin with, or was that part of the process of making it into a school room? If not taking up the whole garage, how large is the room?

My family of five lives in a two bedroom, one-story house built by a retired couple who had no kids, and I have no room for anything in basically any room. Can't move due to employment circumstances...dh's job and house go together. Looking for any way to improve!

Very useful thread for reading through :) (especially for ideas for someone just starting out).

We are just moved in to our house and I made the school room tis nifty little room in the basement. It's not quite finished, but dry walled off and has a fireplace, so I am confident I can make it cozy.

Presently I have 1 bookshelf, an area rug, and a tablecloth. We only do preschool so the lack of a desk does actually fit us :)

Right now I have the top 2 shelves as materials I've accumulated for later years (even if I can't homeschool, fun educational after school library and activities won't hurt to have), and the 3rd shelf is books for this year, with the bottom 2 being hands on learning gear.

Since it's dd's favorite room in the house I've been able to be very child led. So far it seems I've made good choices for her.

And in the closet in that room, I have a big tote with some stuff I decided not to use, and another tote with art supplies.

In all honesty I really need a few more totes to help me organize, another bookshelf would be very helpful, and I need some furniture for that room. Either a big couch or beany type chairs or something?

My goal is to keep that room fun and relaxed with no pressure. Especially at this age :)

And the room has a lock on it soooo I can make sure she can only do school when I'm there to do school with her and keep the novelty of it going (I hope)

We have a small bonus room between the two kid bedrooms which serves as our library/music room.  BTW the top 2 pics are 2 years old, but essentially the same as today.I store current textbooks, workbooks, and notebook in color-coded (for each boy) magazine boxes by subject which they can grab and bring to the table when they meet with me for class. I have three of the short bookcases in this room for fiction (another on the window side of the piano) while the cubes long the window hold supplies and nonfiction by subject (there is a tower of them on the right side of the window wall). The bookcase next to the globe has reference materials on the top along with a box of 'fun' books (jokes, puzzles, etc.). This is our school library - my husband has 3 tall bookshelves in his office and I have some in the living room entertainment center. I generally don't  keep books as I read on my Kindle and the public libary.  On the side of the piano (closest to you), I have 2 large Rubbermaid bins with extra school and seldom used art supplies.  The blue boxes store often used art supplies, science equipment, and stores curriculum to be used another year.  On the wall opposite the window, I had our 'art gallery' display.

organization-1-500x375.jpg

organization-3-500x375.jpgTrAtAeiQGWD6wVanqXge_76338bfe87704bd1b56

Edited by J&JMom

We have a small bonus room between the two kid bedrooms which serves as our library/music room. BTW the top 2 pics are 2 years old, but essentially the same as today.I store current textbooks, workbooks, and notebook in color-coded (for each boy) magazine boxes by subject which they can grab and bring to the table when they meet with me for class. I have three of the short bookcases in this room for fiction (another on the window side of the piano) while the cubes long the window hold supplies and nonfiction by subject (there is a tower of them on the right side of the window wall). The bookcase next to the globe has reference materials on the top along with a box of 'fun' books (jokes, puzzles, etc.). This is our school library - my husband has 3 tall bookshelves in his office and I have some in the living room entertainment center. I generally don't keep books as I read on my Kindle and the public libary. On the side of the piano, I have 2 large Rubbermaid bins with extra school and seldom used art supplies. The blue boxes store often used art supplies, science equipment, and stores curriculum to be used another year. On the wall opposite the window, I had our 'art gallery' display.

organization-1-500x375.jpg

organization-3-500x375.jpgTrAtAeiQGWD6wVanqXge_76338bfe87704bd1b56

Great space! What art curriculum do you use?Your kids pieces look awesome! I love the idea of a gallery, how fun!

I had a school room when we moved here, but it didn't work for us. We tend to school in the dining room as it's 2 steps from the kitchen and 6 steps from the laundry, so I can supervise while working. 

All our school stuff goes on a single short bookshelf in a corner. One wall is cover in white boards for to-do lists, notes and such. This year I'll also be adding in some math related posters from a Mr D Math workshop.