Menu

S/o hair. . . where do you get your bras? That you love?

Alicia64

Back story: DH bought me $100 bras. I know. I'd get one every five years or so, yick. So I ended up with two.

They fit really, really, well, but obviously we can't afford that kind of bra and I definitely need more than two.

I'm asking specifically about well made bras.

I just bought two from SOMA -- on sale -- and one is fantastic and one is not great. The fantastic one is a brand and the not-great-one is a non brand.

Can you recommend where you get bras? I mean, if you really, really love your bra.

Thanks!

Alley

Unfortunately what I love is not cheap. I now buy only at Victoria Secret. They did a fitting on me and the bra they recommended fit perfectly.

I did find an online store once that I liked. It's another expensive bra though. The site is called Le Mystere and the tshirt bra was a Dream Tisha. I got it before I had my reduction surgery and it was fabulous. I found it because Oprah recommended it on her show. That was in 2006.

• Like 2

I was sized at Victoria's Secret and I'm a size they don't carry in their stores (only catalog) - 38B.  I'm fat but have no boobs.  I found the Maidenform Self-Expressions I-Fit Bras at Target and they fit great.    They are the only bras I found that fit comfortably and look nice.

• Like 1

I usually get mine at Kohl's when they have a buy 1 get 1(or get 1 50% more likely).  So I always have 4 at a time, usually.  lol  You can get them at Her Room and other places online.  It's the Vanity Fair Beauty Back Full Coverage bra and I get it in white, nude, and black and it's the only kind I own except for a fancy push-up bra and a strapless for special occasions.  Here it is:  http://www.herroom.com/vanity-fair-75345-beauty-back-full-coverage-underwire-bra.shtml (There is a full figure version, too, I think.)

Nordstrom's.  Yes, they're around $100 a piece, but they last forever and they actually fit correctly.  I've done it twice (due to weight loss/gain) in different areas, and each time they brought me around 10-15 bras to try on after measuring me.  I usually end up finding 1 or 2 that fit well.  I agree that if you have really well-made ones, you really only need maybe 3 or 4 bras, and you could probably get away with just 2.

• Like 2

These bras give amazing support in beautiful colors and an almost endless range of sizes. They're also much less expensive than anything else I've found in my difficult size.

Effuniak is he brand by polish lingerie designer Ewa Michalak. Been wearing them for seven years now. The only trick is that you MUST size her way or they won't fit, period. But her sizing guide is awesome:

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/eng_m_BRAS_ALL-189.html

One thing I absolutely love is the range of sizes in beautiful lingerie - everything from 24 and 26AA to 60NN and more. They'll do anything custom and the range they stock is already very wide.

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/product-eng-723-Bra-FB-Teczowe.html

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/product-eng-791-Biustonosz-M-Syrena.html

Edited by Arctic Mama

Can you share the Soma designs/brands you like?

For context, I have a rather full bust (36 DD), but my sister (34 B) wears these, too, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

My favorite are the Vanishing Back.  I wear the back hook with underwire.  My sister wears front hook.  I don't know if she wears wire or not.  CAn't remember.

I also love the Embraceable line.  It's my second favorite.  Again, I wear full coverage, back closure.

P.S.  I know you didn't ask, but I swear if they ever stop making vanishing edge underwear I'll cry.  Best. Underwear. Ever. 

I buy them at Nordstrom Rack or Victoria's Secret.  I am a pretty common size of 34C, but even that doesn't translate to easy to buy for comfort.  

My personal favorites from Nordstrom are a particular DKNY that they used to carry, a Calvin Klein, and Natori.  The problem with Nordstrom Rack is that you never know what they will have.  

If I absolutely need something that goes with a particular dress or certain cut shirt, I will go to Victorias Secret.  I like most of their bras, but have a few that I love. 

I have to admit that I am a bit of a bra junky.  I have at least a dozen, if not more. Due to the Rack and VS sales, I don't think I have ever paid more that $60, but most were under $30. 

Edited by Tap

Another fan of Wacoal which I buy from a locally owned bra shop that does fittings and adjustments.  (For example, they altered the straps on a swimsuit that I bought there at no extra charge.)  My sports bra is from a company called Anita, again something purchased at the local bra shop.

I machine wash my bras but hang them to dry.  They do not need replacing that often!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I actually have 2 bras. I wear one, rest it and wear the other then wear bra #1 and hand wash while I wear #2, wash it, etc. I also have one good sports bra I hand wash each day. Just what I've got to do.

I love this idea of owning two. I usually buy one new bra every year, sometimes two. I do have a hard time throwing out bras, however, especially if there's nothing wrong with them and they fit fine. 

Quick question: I know that hand washing is probably better, but I always feel that mine get cleaner in the machine with those bra/lingerie bags. I don't put them in the dryer. Do you hand wash them to make them last longer? In other words, I'd like to know if hand washing is worth the time and effort? Thanks so much. :)

I love this idea of owning two. I usually buy one new bra every year, sometimes two. I do have a hard time throwing out bras, however, especially if there's nothing wrong with them and they fit fine.

Quick question: I know that hand washing is probably better, but I always feel that mine get cleaner in the machine with those bra/lingerie bags. I don't put them in the dryer. Do you hand wash them to make them last longer? In other words, I'd like to know if hand washing is worth the time and effort? Thanks so much. :)

Yes, I was told at the bra specialty shop where I bought them that handwashing makes them last longer. I do think it keeps them in better shape. I use this non-detergent cleanser.http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s//ref=mw_dp_a_s?ie=UTF8&k=Forever+NewI have very occasionally washed my sports bra in a lingerie bag if it was just dripping (July run or something).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There is a newer shop here that I have started to use - they specialize in larger cup sizes with more moderate band sizes.  So - they start at DD and carry up to K. 

What I like about this is that I can wear anything in the shop and actually try it on.  They also have bathing suits that are fitted by bra size.

THey carry brands like Panache, Mimim Holiday, and Evollove.

The woman who runs the shop also builds custom corsets.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 2

I wear an unusual size - small band and large cups, so good bras that fit are expensive and hard to find.

I usually wear Le Mystere, Wacoal, or Panache. However, our Dillard's carries a brand called Modern Movement that is my favorite bra and it's only about $40.

Lana

• Like 2

I recently ordered from figleaves, a specialty shop in the UK. I used some measuring advice from a discussion here at the hive. I am losing weight, and needed some help! I did some surgery on my current bras to reduce the band size, and that helped. I was wearing a 36D, and I ordered a 30G in a style that looked like something I would like (underwire, no padding) and an ok price (about $50).

My new bra is so beautiful and fits perfectly - no spill over or armpit extra. Awesome lift! All the support is around my ribs, and there is no pressure on my shoulders - in the past I have had major indentations on my shoulders due to the straps carrying all the weight.

I'm a short girl with big boobs, and it makes a world of difference to have everything up and in the right position!! I will be at my goal weight in another month or so, and I'll order another bra or two!!

• Like 4

www.biggerbras.com or www.barenecessities.com or www.amazon.com or www.figleaves.com

At all four I can find last season's bras and panties (attractive and colorful) in extended cup sizes (DDD-H/J) for what I'd pay for a crappy bra at a department store. I do get fitted at Nordstrom at least every other year tho to make sure I am buying the right sizes.

Brands I like include Le Mystere, Panache, Fantasie, Freya and the generic Fig Leaves brand. The Wacoal bras are functional and fit well but aren't especially attractive IMHO.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

I recently ordered from figleaves, a specialty shop in the UK. I used some measuring advice from a discussion here at the hive. I am losing weight, and needed some help! I did some surgery on my current bras to reduce the band size, and that helped. I was wearing a 36D, and I ordered a 30G in a style that looked like something I would like (underwire, no padding) and an ok price (about $50).

My new bra is so beautiful and fits perfectly - no spill over or armpit extra. Awesome lift! All the support is around my ribs, and there is no pressure on my shoulders - in the past I have had major indentations on my shoulders due to the straps carrying all the weight.

I'm a short girl with big boobs, and it makes a world of difference to have everything up and in the right position!! I will be at my goal weight in another month or so, and I'll order another bra or two!!

Another vote for Figleaves. I am a 40E, and the bras are gorgeous.

I recommend this subreddit to help you get a good fit. https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits

• Like 1

I hate bras. So much fabric, so much lace, so much padding/foam.  I just want something simple that gives a little camo for the nips.  Why is this so difficult?  Why do companies drop the perfect bra without notice?  VS is a nightmare to me.  Every bra in that store is like the Normandy Invasion. 

Edited by LibraryLover
  • Like 3

Bali Women's Comfort Revolution Wirefree Bra

When I can get to Belk, I buy there. If not, Amazon.

This is all I wear now - love them! I've gotten them at Kohl's and they're often buy one get one 50% off there. 

I bought a couple of those a few weeks ago and I absolutely love them!  I took a chance ordering from Amazon and just going by their size chart and they fit perfectly.

There is a newer shop here that I have started to use - they specialize in larger cup sizes with more moderate band sizes.  So - they start at DD and carry up to K. 

Wow! Can I come visit you? 

I'm a 34 or 36G. Dd is a 32G. Buying local is all but impossible and I would dearly love to get to actually try on before buying!

I like walmart :blush: The cheap $6-7 dollar ones... I bought three last time I went shopping for them. I never know where to go, personally, all bras suck! I didnt want to waste money on one I probably wont like anyways. Walmarts are nice, they are holding up well (I by pushup padded ones...). I dont wear them 24/7 though... only when I leave the house - so maybe twice a week ;)

I hate bras. So much fabric, so much lace, so much padding/foam.  I just want something simple that gives a little camo for the nips.  Why is this so difficult?  Why do companies drop the perfect bra without notice?  VS is a nightmare to me.  Every bra in that store is like the Normandy Invasion. 

So much "padding/foam"... that is the most important part!!  I seriously just walk around feeling the cups until I find a nice big soft one... Am I the only one who does this?!!

I have had great (and unexpected) luck with Gap Body.  I wear a strange size (28D) that can rarely be found on racks so I usually have to special order online.  But I do find my size at the bigger Gap stores so I can actually try on several different styles.  Most are very simple in design and economical.  And they hold up well despite me tossing them in the washer.  I especially appreciate that most have re-arrangeable straps so I can make them criss-cross when wearing a tank top or sundress.

Rhonda Shear bras at rhondashear.com. The Aah bra has no underwire but is very supportive and smooths my back and minimizes the girls. I wear the one with the removable pads just to cover the high beams. Oh, and they come in tons of colors and look like a tank top so it doesn't matter if it peeks out of your neckline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much "padding/foam"... that is the most important part!!  I seriously just walk around feeling the cups until I find a nice big soft one... Am I the only one who does this?!!

Snort. lol  I think I love you. lol

But still. I detest the padding. Drives me bonkers. So much, so big. Too much. I might not be a minimalist when it comes to books, say, but I am when it comes to bras!

• Like 1

These bras give amazing support in beautiful colors and an almost endless range of sizes. They're also much less expensive than anything else I've found in my difficult size.

Effuniak is he brand by polish lingerie designer Ewa Michalak. Been wearing them for seven years now. The only trick is that you MUST size her way or they won't fit, period. But her sizing guide is awesome:

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/eng_m_BRAS_ALL-189.html

One thing I absolutely love is the range of sizes in beautiful lingerie - everything from 24 and 26AA to 60NN and more. They'll do anything custom and the range they stock is already very wide.

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/product-eng-723-Bra-FB-Teczowe.html

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/product-eng-791-Biustonosz-M-Syrena.html

Interesting that she utilizes the sizing method that Monique mentioned in her post (http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/586748-so-hair-where-do-you-get-your-bras-that-you-love/?p=6898832). I find using this to size my bras now, post-nursing and pendulous, gets me a better result.

My current favorite is Elomi and I tend to buy them from Amazon since we have Prime.

I go to Nordstrom for fittings now. I will never go elsewhere. I went to Soma in the past twice and was fitted each time. They don't sell my size. Both times the women said I could fit a 32 band even though I measured for a 30 band. Then they put me in the wrong cup size as well. I found it odd when they put me in a really different size than the woman at Nordstrom a few years earlier, but figured size changes. When I first questioned the armpit spillover they told me it fit fine and that was just from being lifted. So I walked around struggling with falling out of my bras for two years before going back to Nordstrom. The woman at Nordstrom was astounded at the size they had put me in. She took one look at me and had me in the right size, and I was amazed at the difference. She told me to never again let someone put me in a 32. So beware of stores that don't carry your size. Even Soma saleswomen put me in the wrong size just to sell me bras. I'm a bit cranky about it. 

• Like 1

I have had great (and unexpected) luck with Gap Body.  I wear a strange size (28D) that can rarely be found on racks so I usually have to special order online.  But I do find my size at the bigger Gap stores so I can actually try on several different styles.  Most are very simple in design and economical.  And they hold up well despite me tossing them in the washer.  I especially appreciate that most have re-arrangeable straps so I can make them criss-cross when wearing a tank top or sundress.

I just looked online and they don't carry anything smaller than a 32 band 

Wow! Can I come visit you? 

I'm a 34 or 36G. Dd is a 32G. Buying local is all but impossible and I would dearly love to get to actually try on before buying!

If you can get to the east coast of Canada I will take you down.  There is a fun candy shop across the street from the bra place.

I just looked online and they don't carry anything smaller than a 32 band 

Oh no!  You are right.  I just looked too.  Mine are going on 4 years old of hard use but are still in good shape so it has been awhile since I looked.  I got mine from the actual store.  I wonder if they stock more sizes in-store?  Whatever the case, I had better read the rest of the suggestions on this thread in case those odd sizes are indeed no more.  Poo.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank those of you that recommending Curvations wire-free. My few bras were riding up my back and falling out the bottom sort of...yes I said bottom! I read from a couple of the sites that you ladies posted that most women pick a band size that is too large and a cup size too small. So I went looking for Curvations wireless and a band smaller and a cup size larger and it fits PERFECTLY. An added bonus, after wearing it all day, my back is not aching. Additional bonus, I got two bras for 9 bucks on clearance, so I bought four. :lol: