• I'm in it for the puppies!
    • I'm in it for the halftime show!
    • I'm in it for the commercials!
    • I'm in it for the party and the food!
    • I'm in it for the afterparty!
    • I'm pretending to be interested.
    • I'm not interested at all.
    • The what now?

I'm definitely ready. I've picked my fantasy puppy bowl team, I'm stocked up on, um, supplies for the aftermath, and I'm using the entire event as an excuse to eat chips and salsa while... reading a book. LOL, we're not exactly avid sports fans around here, but younger kiddo is a huge fan of the puppy bowl, because puppies.

How about everybody else? Anybody actually excited for the game? I can live vicariously through all of you!

• Like 1

We (at least DH and I) are big NFL football people.  We love the Super Bowl.  For the first time since we have been married we aren't hosting a Super Bowl party.  We are going to a party instead.

My youngest is waiting for the puppy bowl to start.  He thinks it is the greatest thing ever.  I tried to explain the Bud Bowl to him (Budweiser v. Bud Light) but he didn't seem too interested.  Not that I blame him.

I don't follow either of the teams in the game, so we're in it mostly to just hang out with family and laugh at some commercials, munch on some splurge food, and hopefully see a good game.  We're making a taco pizza and dd made some cupcakes...chocolate with vanilla icing and drizzled with chocolate and dulce de leche.  Ok, I spent a lot more time talking about food so I guess I'm really in it for the food. g

• Like 1

I love football, so I am excited for the game. My team isn't in it, but one of the teams I hate most is and I really want that team to lose. So, tonight at our house there will be a lot of cheering for the Panthers, along with chicken wings, pizza, nachos, and soda.

Edited by JudoMom
  • Like 2

I like football, but right now I can't take so much time to watch a game.  I like to watch the final 2 minutes, and I don't care who wins, unless the unthinkable happens and my team has a great season.  :P  Sometimes I will watch the halftime show, but I usually do not enjoy it.

The thing about football that's annoying is, they keep changing the rules.  An occasional watcher gets confused.

We usually go out during the Super Bowl as places aren't crowded then - our favorite time to be somewhere!

This year we're saving money for an upcoming trip, so I suspect we'll watch a taped show of some sort, a Stargate video, or just play games.  It's possible our new neighbors will get together with us.  They don't care for the Super Bowl either, but it'll depend upon if they get some other things finished today.  We're already done with our daily plan (except a salmon dinner).  We're enjoying some down time now - typical for us on Sundays.

I'll admit to hoping the Panthers win, but that's merely because hubby has NC roots.  (Am I assuming correctly that they're from NC?)

I have no desire to watch the actual game, commercials, puppies, or anything else associated with it.  I'm missing the "sports gene" many Americans are born with.  I like a few sports (Olympics, horse racing, some soccer), but not any of the traditional US sports (football, baseball, basketball, hockey).

Well, we don't have a TV, and we actively dislike football (head injuries), but I am intrigued by the snacks that are popping up on all the food websites.

Can someone explain to me what exactly super bowl food is and also about 'buffalo' food. I've looked at the recipes, but don't see a buffalo connection. Yes, I am in the U.S., just not attuned to professional sports, lol.

We host a party. We project the Super Bowl onto our otherwise-blank livingroom wall with the church's projector and invite all the kids in the parish from 5th-12th grade (and the youth group sponsors). It's great fun. We have the "big screen" (about 13 ft), our regular TV in the den (for those who need a quieter place) and our basement (which has a somewhat decrepit pool table and a table for Apples to Apples or other game, plus a couch and chairs).

We eat pizza and apps and generally have a fab time. I don't care who is playing, although this year I'm particularly torn because I like PM but think the Panthers ought to crown their year with a SB victory.

• Like 1

We have a clan party at our parents' house. They have a tv. Not sure how it got started? I think maybe my father, who actually liked football, wanted company watching? But a few people watch the game and the rest of us play board games and eat nachos. Every once in a while, the watchers yell Commercial Commercial and everyone crowds around to watch and comment. We have a table of small prizes and some sort of grid thing that we all put our initials on and every once in awhile, the watchers tell us somebody gets to choose a prize. We turn the volume down and abandon the tv during the halftime show.

Nan

Eta I, too, would like to know what buffalos have to do with football food. When it switches to flag football, I will learn the rules and watch. : )

Edited by Nan in Mass

Sometimes we watch the commercials. :)

Sometimes we go to an Irish pub with live music.

This year DH is on a train and I'm home eating pizza with kids, ignoring football.

Now, if we were taking about the World Cup... Different story!

Edited by Spryte

I love football, so we're watching. As always.

For the first time ever I don't have a preference for a specific team. I don't love or hate either of them. I really like Peyton Manning, and my team is in the AFC, like te Broncos, so I should root for them I guess. Hen again, I think Cam Newton, and the whole Panthers team, is exciting and dynamic and generally fun to watch. I'm just hoping for a good game.

The most honest answer probably would have been "not interested at all," because I do actually know that there's a game today. However, it was only about two days ago that I realized it was Superbowl weekend, so I figured I was justified in voting "the what now."

Neither my husband nor I knew the game was this weekend until he went to the supermarket yesterday morning and couldn't figure out why there were so many men there buying chips and beer.

We went to the library earlier and just finished watching a movie. I'm about to log on to work for a couple of hours while he does some online gaming.

We are not what one might call sports people.

My family watched. In the interest of not jinxing the Panthers I didn't watch but instead prepared an offer for a house we can afford in our dream neighborhood. Unfortunately, it's almost as if the Panthers' performance had nothing to do with me, personally, and they lost anyway.

• Like 2

And there was MUCH REJOICING!

I admit, I was rooting for the broncos. (or I should say - I was rooting against the panthers.)

cam newton's behavior two weeks ago, pulling down and stomping on a 12th man flag, was in exceptionally poor taste and was the deciding factor to me even caring about the final score today.  

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Well, we don't have a TV, and we actively dislike football (head injuries), but I am intrigued by the snacks that are popping up on all the food websites.

Can someone explain to me what exactly super bowl food is and also about 'buffalo' food. I've looked at the recipes, but don't see a buffalo connection. Yes, I am in the U.S., just not attuned to professional sports, lol.

I think Superbowl food tends to be snacks and appetizers that can pass for a meal and be eaten while watching the game.

I think Buffalo Wings (chicken wings covered in hot sauce) are a popular game time appetizer. I think they're named for Buffalo NY where they started. Now, anything in a hot sauce based sauce is named Buffalo.

• Like 2

So. There's always so much hoopla around SB ads. I've watched a few over the years, and I STILL can't figure out what all the hoopla is about.

I did giggle at the Prius ad.

I didn't care for or against either team in the game, but DS was cheering for the Panthers because he was born in NC, so I was sort of hoping for the Panthers to win for my little guy. :)

All that said, I was hoping for a good game. What a giant disappointment. They both looked like a couple of pre-season practice squads out there.

We ate buffalo wings, Pringles, and berries.

I liked the colorful halftime show. :)

Back in another life, I enjoyed a good Superbowl party; it was always about the the friends, food, and beer, and never about the football.

Now, I only notice it because of friends' comments on Facebook.  We find other reasons and other times to eat fun appetizers!   We have a church service at 6pm EST on Sundays.  Pretty thin crowd last night. 

I think Superbowl food tends to be snacks and appetizers that can pass for a meal and be eaten while watching the game.

I think Buffalo Wings (chicken wings covered in hot sauce) are a popular game time appetizer. I think they're named for Buffalo NY where they started. Now, anything in a hot sauce based sauce is named Buffalo.

Oh, thank you!

• Like 1

Are there real puppies? What do the puppies do?

Here in Canada we don't even get the same commercials during the game. Fortunately I can watch them online. I didn't know I should also be on the lookout for puppies.

The Puppy Bowl is on Animal Planet.  There are a bunch of pups from shelters in a pen decorated like a football field, with a bunch of chew toys.  The pups are divide into two teams.  Every time a pup grabs a chew toy and crosses the goal line with it the team gets points.

Yes, this is really a thing.  It is cute for about 2 minutes.