Menu

STEM for co-op

Has anyone done a STEM class in their co-op? I'm on the planning committee for ours and I'm tentatively thinking of a STEM-type class for middle schoolers. I was thinking of doing hands on projects such as the egg drop, toothpick bridges, and drinking straw Eiffel towers.

Would this be something you and your children would be interested in? Obviously there would have to be some outside work required, as we would only have 1 hour once a week. But I was thinking that we could learn about the physics terms etc in class, have them build the projects at home, and then we'd have a few class periods devoted to testing their projects.

I'd be interested in hearing other ideas for a STEM class too!

Lana

• Like 1

We've had a couple of classes like this. One was "Basic Engineering" and they did an egg drop, built a concrete canoe, made popsicle stick bridges, etc. Currently we have "Intro to Architecture" and they have made a toothpick Eiffel Tower and a big hexagon structure from rolled newspaper, among other things. These have been classes that have filled up quickly and that kids have really enjoyed. Anything Science-related is generally a very popular co-op option.

BUT the classes I mentioned above have focused on the building part and the projects have all been in-class. They have generally discussed the concepts one week and built the project the next--neither class has been homework-heavy. Co-op classes with homework are tricky because unless you are a strictly academic co-op where homework is required, you'll have some parents who want it and expect their kids to do it, and some who won't. A class period testing projects the kids were expected to complete at home isn't as much fun when only 1/3 of the class actually did the project. And unless you state upfront that there will be homework and kids are expected to do it, that's what you'll most likely get. Even if you do say it upfront you may still get several who don't complete the projects. If you're okay with that, fine. But it's frustrating as a teacher to work hard preparing something and then have many of the class participants not take it seriously. Just be aware that's how it sometimes goes with co-op homework.

• Like 3

I did something like this, but like PP we did the building and testing in class.  I gave each team a box of materials, some specifically for the project and others as a wild card that they often used in fun and interesting ways.  They were given a time frame and let loose. If I were to do it again from a more "academic" point (mine were elementary aged) I'd assign reading and design before the class (make sure team members know who each other are so they can plan). Even have a turn in type assignment then let them loose on the project. 

So is an hour in class enough time to build? We don't have a way to store incomplete projects at the church building we use, and I can't imagine having to transport that many projects home. So I was thinking that projects would need to be built outside of class and then we'd do the testing in class.  Our co-op isn't strictly academic, but parents are pretty good about ensuring homework is completed.  

I love all the extra ideas that were added! I will definitely check out the Disney imagineering and the other thread that was linked.

Lana

We did a year of physical science with Exploration Education and I added in bunches and bunches of hands-on experiments and projects. I still have them all bookmarked. I found a lot of stuff at stevespanglerscience.com.  If you pull up his youtube demonstrations, you'll get links on the sidebar to many more like it. One of our favorite projects was having each student design a Rube-Goldberg machine. I asked them to use each of the simple machines in any format or in several formats but each one had to be represented. The creativity with household/hardware materials was spectacular. They were so proud to demonstrate them. It really required them to play with the materials and to think backward -- first deciding what they wanted their machine to accomplish and then work backward to get the reaction through the series of machinations. 

If you're interested, I can paste all of the links I still have in my bookmarks. 

I am teaching a similar class for middle schoolers at a co-op right now.   The first half of the year we studied Rocketry and the 2nd half we are doing Roller Coasters and other physics projects.   We are currently in the middle of building paper roller coasters using templates from www.paperrollercoasters.com.   It has been a lot of fun and the kids seem to love it.

Edited by SebastianCat2

That is my specialty.  I taught simple machines using the LEGO simple machines kit for 4 years.  My class was 10-13 year olds.  I taught iOS and android programming using Corona. We used this book.  Right now I am teaching digital electronics using Applied Inspirations curriculum.  Last year I taught level 1, this year I am teaching levels 1 & 2. The kids love it because it actually involves soldering.  Our co-op meets for one hour a week.  I have also coached a CyberPatriot competition team.  My team was high school level but they introduced a middle school competition last year.

• Like 1

That is my specialty.  I taught simple machines using the LEGO simple machines kit for 4 years.  My class was 10-13 year olds.  I taught iOS and android programming using Corona. We used this book.  

Thank you for posting this link.  My kids have a fair amount of programming experience.  Do you think the Burton book is most appropriate for beginners new to programming, or could it be used by students who know some python and java?  

Thank you for posting this link.  My kids have a fair amount of programming experience.  Do you think the Burton book is most appropriate for beginners new to programming, or could it be used by students who know some python and java?  

He claims that it is for kids with no programming experience but I would say that it definitely helps to have had some programming previously otherwise it is a lot to take in at once.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Florida Lisa,

I would love this link as I just came on today to see who used Exploration Education as a stand alone science curriculum and who loved it.  I can't find much in terms of reviews but think that I am going to use it for my science hands on loving dd for next year. 

We did a year of physical science with Exploration Education and I added in bunches and bunches of hands-on experiments and projects. I still have them all bookmarked. I found a lot of stuff at stevespanglerscience.com.  If you pull up his youtube demonstrations, you'll get links on the sidebar to many more like it. One of our favorite projects was having each student design a Rube-Goldberg machine. I asked them to use each of the simple machines in any format or in several formats but each one had to be represented. The creativity with household/hardware materials was spectacular. They were so proud to demonstrate them. It really required them to play with the materials and to think backward -- first deciding what they wanted their machine to accomplish and then work backward to get the reaction through the series of machinations. 

If you're interested, I can paste all of the links I still have in my bookmarks. 

• 1 year later...

We did a year of physical science with Exploration Education and I added in bunches and bunches of hands-on experiments and projects. I still have them all bookmarked. I found a lot of stuff at stevespanglerscience.com. If you pull up his youtube demonstrations, you'll get links on the sidebar to many more like it. One of our favorite projects was having each student design a Rube-Goldberg machine. I asked them to use each of the simple machines in any format or in several formats but each one had to be represented. The creativity with household/hardware materials was spectacular. They were so proud to demonstrate them. It really required them to play with the materials and to think backward -- first deciding what they wanted their machine to accomplish and then work backward to get the reaction through the series of machinations.

I would love your list of bookmarks