Menu

From homeschool to public high school - what to expect?

TrixieB

I thought I would post here instead of on the high school board - since this is not about homeschooling high school.

My ds will attend public high school next year.  He wants to go, and dh and I think this is the right choice for him.  He will be a sophomore, and will have a transcript for his freshman year from a local private school because he is participating in their homeschool extension program.

If your child has gone from homeschool to public high school, what are some of the things that:

you wish you had known in advance

your child struggled with the most

you and/or your child didn't expect

I am trying to be prepared, and to prepare my kid, but it has been MANY years since I was in high school and I'm sure things have changed a lot.  Please give me any advice you have!

• Like 1

The big struggle was with him getting enough sleep. He only lasted one marking period because he's such a night owl that getting up at 5 am was making him sick. As in, weakening the immune system so constantly sick kind of thing. And I was often frustrated by the lack of physical textbooks, which may not be an issue where you were. When the kid has no textbook just a work book and needs help it was really hard to do. 

• Like 3

I have not done it in that direction but I have friends that did.  Things that they wished they had done ahead of time:

1.  Set up a sleep schedule more in tune with the school time table waaaaay before he started.  (This was their number one issue...lack of sleep/terrible time adjusting).

2. Planned a bedtime that was waaaay earlier than they had anticipated (he ended up needed 10-12 hours of sleep the first couple of months because being at school was so wearing and he was not ready for the change in his schedule).

3. This is minor but have him put his name, date and a title on papers to turn in.  Other students had been doing it for years and didn't really need reminders.  He kept forgetting and got marked off for it.

4.  Better planned mentally on the part of the parents to provide support/scaffolding in helping him establish solid organizational skills so he could keep up with assignments/due dates and develop a productive system for doing so on his own.

5.  Discussed and been better prepared for the fact that with many different teachers, there would be a lot of adjusting from class to class regarding expectations, routines, work load, etc.

6.  Discussed bullying and drug use and what to do in different scenarios.

• Like 5

Mine went from homeschool to middle school, which I know is not the same.  But I'll give my two cents anyway.

-take a study skills class.  Like the one being offered through the WTM Academy

-really learning how to prioritize obligations

-learning how to organize work rather than shoving it into a backpack and expecting to magically find it later in the day

-as the parent, be prepared for a lot of homework and tests and the amount of hours these things will take

• Like 3

I didn't tell anyone except their guidance counselor that they were homeschooled. I didn't want teachers making assumptions about my kids based in their idea of homeschooled students capabilities. Their guidance counselor was very supportive and let me choose from Honors classes as well as regular classes. My kids are good students, but not superstars.

When I attended my first parent/teacher night at the end of my older sons first six-weeks of school, it was rewarding to hear very positive things about my child's social skills and attitude from his teachers. I took pleasure in letting them know that I was glad to hear such good feedback as it was his first classroom experience ever. Most were surprise

I agree with other posts that time and organizational skills, including signing and dating papers, and using the correct side of his notebook paper should be worked on prior to making the move.

Many schools put homework and syllabuses online so make sure you and your student get familiar with the school's website.

Good luck. FWIW, my kids thrived in public school. I missed homeschooling them, but I enjoyed being a band and Color guard mom. It was a good move and I really got to see how the firm foundation of WTM enriched their experience in the classroom.

Hth,

K

• Like 6

Mine have gone from always homeschooled to a private high school, so I don't know if you feel that is different. But, I would echo the above posters in that learning how to organize work, homework, plan projects was the hardest thing for DS (he is weak in this area to begin with). Both my kids had a rather rude awakening to fashion consciousness; this is not given any importance amongst HS friends, but at B&M school - rude awakening. I probably should have spoken to the existence of such attitudes before they went to school.

If I had a do-over, I would have put DS in at 8th grade, not 9th, because it was much harder for him to learn how to manage teacher expectations and work load; I kinda wish we had had a year for that learning curve before it "mattered." Also, he learned nothing in math the year he was in 8th and I feel much at fault for it; he was ready to tackle harder stuff than I was able to teach him. I wish I had paid for individual tutoring in math instead of wasting that year bumbling through it.

• Like 2

My youngest dd started high school as a freshman. One problem she had was the ability to think and write quickly. She had writing assignments due in class and had to learn to write fast to get it all in. She's also a wordy writer. She puts in more than she needs to. We didn't work much on writing skills when she was at home. Unfortunately, my ds who homeschooled all the way through is having the same problem in college. So far he has not been challenged with that but I sure worry when it happens. I really wish I had done a lot more writing with them both at home.

• Like 2

Sounds about like what we did, but ours did an online program for freshman year.  The things that gave us trouble at the beginning were not the usual adapting to school things. It was time management things like how to deal with the frustration of the same announcements in every class, lack of work (but still needing to go that day), using what the teacher says even if it is inefficient (like carrying a loose stack of 3x5 index cards instead of a covered box of smaller SparkNotes cards)...and the crazy rules: stopping him before he took a large kitchen knife in to cut his art project (a cake), reminding him OTC meds have to stay at home, not in his bag, during allergy season, and so on. 

The best thing we did for him was put him in a small high school rather than a large one, with teachers that have no more than 15 in a class usually.  Each kid gets enough attention, the teachers put them through their paces quicker, and he doesn't feel like just one of a crowd. 

• Like 2

The only real problem either of our boys had when they went into public high school programs as freshmen was being absolutely wiped out by the end of the school day.  They weren't used to being "on" for so long, and certainly weren't used to being around so many people for so many hours.  For quite awhile after both of them started school they'd come home and take a long nap.  Oldest only did that for a month or two.  He's a social butterfly and enjoyed the environment after he adapted.  Youngest is an introvert, so it's really tiring to him.  He's a junior now and still takes a nap almost every day.

• Like 2

He has two things down cold (possibly due to co-op and online classes):

putting his name and date on the paper

writing on the "front" side of the paper first

But he needs to work on the tech stuff (Powerpoint, becoming a faster typist) so we will fit that in before September.

I'm not sure how to decide about regular vs. honors classes.  He is strong in math and science, and he's a good reader, but he loathes writing.  Or should I say, he loathes writing for ME and doesn't hesitate to say so.  I'm not sure what his output would be for a PS teacher where I have no involvement.  He did okay writing for a co-op class but that did involve me somewhat, due to it being a co-op class.

What about the concept of homework?  DS1's friend just started his Freshman year at a local HS, and regularly has 3-4 hours of homework each night.  That's our school day! 

He has homework for co-op classes and online classes, but I think it will be challenging for him to go to school all day and then have homework afterwards.  That is one reason why I am worried about honors/AP classes - maybe too much homework?

• Like 1

My son transitioned from homeschool to public high school in 9th grade. It was a very smooth transition. But, we did have a few bumps. Your son will get a bit less grace b/c he will be a 10th grader. When my son came in as a freshman it was clear the 9th grade teachers assumed all the kids knew nothing. Most things were explained to them and they were ALL clueless. There isn't that expectation with 10th graders, so he might be on his own a little bit.

Yes, to the sleep. However, remember every single student (and a few teachers,lol)  will show up on the first day of school underslept and adjusting to the school year schedule.  The teachers expect the kids to show up groggy that first week. But, if getting up at the same time every day, day in and day out, is not something your kid has ever done, then get used to it now.

If he doesn't already, teach him how to use email (my son didn't know how) and get ready to remind him to check it at least twice a day, every day. This is part of his 'job' now.  My son gets email every school day with all his assignments from his teachers. They roll in during the school day, which is fantastic b/c he doesn't really have to remember what is assigned. But, he has also gotten them on weekends and during vacation. Those are often a 'heads up' type email, "FYI, I will be assigning this on Monday, so if you want to get a head start, here it is" type emails. Sometimes he has time to start it, sometimes he doesn't, but it shouldn't be a surprise. There is also an expectation that he will be doing the communicating with his teachers, not me. If there is a question about an assignment or if he is going to miss a class, he is the one emailing the teachers, not me.

Find out about technology at the school.  At my son's school all students are issued a chromebook and most of his homework is done online. Some teachers use Blackboard, but most use Google classroom, and that is how assignments are handed in. He is expected to bring his chromebook back and forth to school every day.  He has to use the school computer because that is what has permission to access all the school apps, etc. All in all, there is MUCH more technology in the classroom and out than I expected. He has been expected to create muti-media presentations etc. His school doesn't have blackboards, it's all done on these electronic whiteboards. This hasn't phased him in the least, but it was surprising to us.

A good backpack. My son's backpack is so heavy! We even put some thought into it and made a point of buying those thin plastic binders to lighten the load.

Find out what the high school policy is on phones.  Our school allows students to have phones as long as they don't come out in class without permission.  Using them in the hallways or during lunch etc is fine. We ended up getting a phone for our son (dh's old one) for Christmas his freshman year b/c it was necessary. All sorts of things came up those first couple of months that made us realize he needed a phone with a camera etc. We needed to be able to text him to arrange pick ups, or deal with school closings. The teachers frequently use phones and other technology in class. They will ask the students with phones to pair up with students who don't have them to make a video of a science lab or a reading in Spanish etc. And a couple of times it was handy for my son to be able to take a picture of a complicated homework assignment, locker number and combination, etc..with permission of the teacher of course. But, YMMV of course. Some schools have a zero phone policy.

And yes, teach him what something should look like when it is handed in, with his name on the top, the date etc. And if you haven't already, get him used to the concept of 'if I can't read it, it is wrong".  He will be asked to write things out in class and hand them in, it needs to be legible. You say he has taken some homeschool extension classes, so that prob won't be as big a challenge.

There is going to be some school culture things that make no sense to you. Just follow your son's lead. For example, the students at my son's school don't use their lockers. The school is too big and the lockers are too far away and they don't have enough time between classes. That means my son carries his coat etc around all day. I am not sure he has EVER been to his locker. He just doesn't bother with it. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of, but every parent tells me this is how it is with all of them. Fine, I can't force my son to use his locker, can I? Even though I can tell him that carrying his coat around all day is silly, and it surely can't take that much time to drop it off at the beginning of the day, he's not going to do it because that is what is normal for the school.

• Like 3

He has homework for co-op classes and online classes, but I think it will be challenging for him to go to school all day and then have homework afterwards.  That is one reason why I am worried about honors/AP classes - maybe too much homework?

You are going to want him in those classes, if at all possible. Those are probably the kids you want for his peer group Adjust your family life around the homework. Now, if he is the sort of kid who truly doesn't want to do that kind of work, then fine, don't force the issue. You know your son best. But it is easier to start there and move down during the first couple weeks, then go in the other direction. My son was in a non-honors class and it was quite an eye opener. Never again.

AP classes often involve teamwork or collaborating outside school. Be prepared to bring him to weekend study sessions or project sessions. This is a good thing! You can be the house that hosts the kids...just be prepared to feed them, lol. But, I personally think it is good to be the house that hosts the study afternoons. You can get to meet some of the kids, keep a casual eye on conversation etc. You learn a lot..and meet some very nice teenagers. And it helps with building community for your son.

• Like 1

I have an n of 1.5😉My now freshman went back in 8 th grade and my 17 yo began this year in her Jr. year. It has gone well with few problems and good grades ( very good in the case of my dd). They mostly complain about other kids' lack of work ethic and that few students care about their grades. This may be a function of our small rural school. ( it Amy have been suggested that I am a hard teacher who expectstoo much so they weren't shocked by workload or due dates). They do have an opportunity to do dual credit and AP so while it hasn't been the challenge I was hoping for them neither one was interested in starting college early it has been a happy medium.

My son transitioned from homeschool to public high school in 9th grade. It was a very smooth transition. But, we did have a few bumps. Your son will get a bit less grace b/c he will be a 10th grader. When my son came in as a freshman it was clear the 9th grade teachers assumed all the kids knew nothing. Most things were explained to them and they were ALL clueless. There isn't that expectation with 10th graders, so he might be on his own a little bit.

Yes, to the sleep. However, remember every single student (and a few teachers,lol) will show up on the first day of school underslept and adjusting to the school year schedule. The teachers expect the kids to show up groggy that first week. But, if getting up at the same time every day, day in and day out, is not something your kid has ever done, then get used to it now.

If he doesn't already, teach him how to use email (my son didn't know how) and get ready to remind him to check it at least twice a day, every day. This is part of his 'job' now. My son gets email every school day with all his assignments from his teachers. They roll in during the school day, which is fantastic b/c he doesn't really have to remember what is assigned. But, he has also gotten them on weekends and during vacation. Those are often a 'heads up' type email, "FYI, I will be assigning this on Monday, so if you want to get a head start, here it is" type emails. Sometimes he has time to start it, sometimes he doesn't, but it shouldn't be a surprise. There is also an expectation that he will be doing the communicating with his teachers, not me. If there is a question about an assignment or if he is going to miss a class, he is the one emailing the teachers, not me.

Find out about technology at the school. At my son's school all students are issued a chromebook and most of his homework is done online. Some teachers use Blackboard, but most use Google classroom, and that is how assignments are handed in. He is expected to bring his chromebook back and forth to school every day. He has to use the school computer because that is what has permission to access all the school apps, etc. All in all, there is MUCH more technology in the classroom and out than I expected. He has been expected to create muti-media presentations etc. His school doesn't have blackboards, it's all done on these electronic whiteboards. This hasn't phased him in the least, but it was surprising to us.

A good backpack. My son's backpack is so heavy! We even put some thought into it and made a point of buying those thin plastic binders to lighten the load.

Find out what the high school policy is on phones. Our school allows students to have phones as long as they don't come out in class without permission. Using them in the hallways or during lunch etc is fine. We ended up getting a phone for our son (dh's old one) for Christmas his freshman year b/c it was necessary. All sorts of things came up those first couple of months that made us realize he needed a phone with a camera etc. We needed to be able to text him to arrange pick ups, or deal with school closings. The teachers frequently use phones and other technology in class. They will ask the students with phones to pair up with students who don't have them to make a video of a science lab or a reading in Spanish etc. And a couple of times it was handy for my son to be able to take a picture of a complicated homework assignment, locker number and combination, etc..with permission of the teacher of course. But, YMMV of course. Some schools have a zero phone policy.

And yes, teach him what something should look like when it is handed in, with his name on the top, the date etc. And if you haven't already, get him used to the concept of 'if I can't read it, it is wrong". He will be asked to write things out in class and hand them in, it needs to be legible. You say he has taken some homeschool extension classes, so that prob won't be as big a challenge.

There is going to be some school culture things that make no sense to you. Just follow your son's lead. For example, the students at my son's school don't use their lockers. The school is too big and the lockers are too far away and they don't have enough time between classes. That means my son carries his coat etc around all day. I am not sure he has EVER been to his locker. He just doesn't bother with it. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of, but every parent tells me this is how it is with all of them. Fine, I can't force my son to use his locker, can I? Even though I can tell him that carrying his coat around all day is silly, and it surely can't take that much time to drop it off at the beginning of the day, he's not going to do it because that is what is normal for the school.

Sounds exactly like my sons' public high school. They never used their lockers and chromebooks and smartboard technology are utilized in nearly every class. Cell phones are allowed in the classroom and some teachers allow them to be used as "clickers" for online games/quizes such as Kahoots. TI-84 Plus calculators are used often. So you might want your student to have some experience with them as well.

http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2014/03/seven-good-student-response-systems.html

My youngest, who started public tech school this year wanted you to know that it is entirely possible to be completely miserable to 1-4 weeks until things get better and you make friends. She isn't very social at all, in any way, not at all, not even remotely (yes, she is dictating as I write)  Walking through hallways and lunch were awkward.  Things are pretty great now, but it did take awhile. 

(ok, she is gone now so....)

I can't even tell you how heartbreaking the texts she sent me the first few weeks were and I thought, perhaps we had made a terrible mistake.

Now she has a  group of friends, she has gone to parties, has them over to the house, goes to movies with them and is enjoying a social life.

She goes to the library instead of lunch though, she has issues taking out her retainer to eat at school  She still hasn't braved the lunch line and probably never will.

She is close with the librarian and a couple of her teachers which is wonderful.

She has made high honors the first two semesters and loves her shop.  She got into IT, which was her top choice.

It is hard for her due to sensory issues and chronic pain to be around so many people all day every day but she is really handling it well and I am so proud of her.

Interestingly, she has some fandoms she loves, gaming and such but she likes obscure references.  For example, she loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer so she would wear a Dingoes Ate My Baby concert shirt.  Which, as only a true BTVS fan would know is Oz's band's name. 

She loves The Walking Dead so she has a Hershel's Farm, Barn off Limits t-shirt.  A reference only a true fan would get.

She adores Naughty Dog games, especially The Last of Us and her shirt for that is the one the main character wears in the game.  Ditto on the only a real Last of Us gamer would get the reference.

So, she figured she could weed out friends that way.  Her line of thinking was that if they got the reference, they were or could be kindred spirits. ;)  It has worked amazingly well.

Her advice, be yourself and give it some time.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma
  • Like 1