Menu

How are YOU managing to pay for college?

Nan in Mass

Well, I just read through what I posted back in October. Life has taken another twist and turn, with dh diagnosed with Stage IV melanoma. These next 4 years of college for dd are going to be interesting.  :grouphug:  to all trying to figure out their next steps. 

I'm sorry to hear the news. Sending good thoughts and prayers to your family. I'm glad to hear your daughter is home to help.  :grouphug:

Dh gets his next CT scan today--we'll find out results on Tuesday. 

My biggest worry is getting dd launched. I want her to be able to go off to school like the other kids did. I am SO glad she didn't even apply locally, as I don't want her here. And we only have 2 comp sci profs here, and one was just killed in a climbing accident. That hit dd hard. And the comp sci department is going to be in disarray for at least two years. We're still reeling from the death of the band prof a few years ago. The comp sci department is so small that they really don't offer what dd is looking for. So, to add to all the senior angst, dd is dealing with this. Senior years are tough. 

:grouphug:

DD will in all likelihood not go to college. She will hopefully be able to get through cosmetology school, either as high school vo-tech or at community college.

DS it's too soon to say, but military is a possibility we may encourage.

• Like 1

Thanks for bumping this thread.  I was just going to start one myself.  My dh does work at a university that offers tuition remission where we would have to pay 25% of the instate tuition plus room and board, books, etc.  We have enough saved to be able to cover most of this with the DE classes that my girls are taking.  DD2 is content with this.  DD1 has dreams of going to a much more expensive school.  I am realistic that we are likely not to qualify for any federal aid.  I hate to squash her dream of this school but I know that we have to be realistic.  I am learning from the ideas listed here. Thanks.

Margaret, I am sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis and all that you are facing with that.  I hope you can find comfort in the fact that so many here are thinking of you.

Knowing we wouldn't be able to afford to send our four kids to college, we started homeschooling with the intent to send all of our kids to college between ninth and eleventh grade; college credits being free to high school students in Florida. Then we intentionally moved to a city that offered both a community college and a university right before our eldest started ninth grade. Giving them as much free college as possible and encouraging them to stay in the state university system which is very affordable is the best we can do. They will all need to pay for their own education after high school. We have agreed to cover books and school supplies - the best we can do.

Dd 18 is graduating this May with 114 credits and plans to go to a state university.

Dd 16 is planning to graduate high school with her AA, but then transfer out of state.

Dd 12 is planning to go Ivy League so none of her college credits would transfer.

Ds 10 is planning to get his AA while in high school and then go to a state university.

So, our plans have had mixed results. :D

I don't know if this would work for everyone's state, but when our oldest started at CC as a homeschooler, he was 17.   Our state allows you to stay in CC for up to 6 semesters, as long as you take their prescribed track first, and are under the age of 21.

When he was 18, we actually graduated him because the prescribed track didn't give him enough freedom, but they told us that he was eligible to stay as a CC student for another couple of years if he wanted.

Thankfully, CC is cheap and within our means to pay, but free is even better!

It will entirely depend on what they choose.

So far, oldest is choosing a 2 year program in a trade/tech program at the CC.  It is free tuition this year due to dual enrollment (still $350 for fees for 3 classes).

Next year it will cost $78 per credit hour (he likes 9 hours per semester due to his learning issues and that is fine with us.)  So tuition will be $1404 per year and about $700 in fees (lab fees for his program run $21 per credit hour but there are no books and then there are other college fees.)  So, under $2000 for the year.

Middle son is strongly looking at an early college program which will save us 2 years of tuition!  :hurray:   After that, he is looking at a state school although he would prob. love a small private school, which we may be able to afford better if he can get half of college free.

Youngest, no idea.

Here is the bottom line:

We have told our boys we will provide a max $10K per year for 4 years for college.  That is enough to cover the local four year college (which is rated pretty well actually!) and live at home.  It even provides fees, books, and transportation.  Anything above that amount, they will have to cover the difference.  

1. We feel this is more than fair

2. We feel this is what we can comfortably offer without needing to affect retirement, etc...

Revising because our plans have changed drastically.

Looks like Dh will be losing his job in NC and we will be moving back to CA, probably the summer of 2018, which is a horrible time in terms of residency in the new state.

We hope DS1 can finish his AA by then, but if not, we are reserving the on-line classes so that he could finish from CA.  We may have to pay out of state tuition (still not sure about how that all works) for a semester.

Middle has a 4 year college in CA picked out that he should be able to get into, but again, it will be out of state the first year, so we have told him he may need to go to CC that first year and possibly 2 years.  Since there are some maturity issues there, I think that is the best plan anyway. 

So, we may have to bump up the $10K per year per boy, but if they stay with in-state schools, it shouldn't be too bad.  

And, since I wrote the above, I have gone back to work full time.  That is helping with higher allowances for college.

We just are STRONGLY encouraging them NOT to go into debt for undergrad.  Grad school, maybe, but not undergrad.

Edited by DawnM

Sigh...

Well, count our family among those for whom college plans have changed... DS#1 is heading BACK to college for a second Bachelor's degree in a completely new field.

The bad news is that because it is a radically different field (going from a BA in a Humanities-related field to a BS in Mechanical Engineering), and because the new field is core concentration-heavy and all courses that have pre-requisites, which also have pre-requisites, DS is looking at a full 4 years to complete the new degree.

The good news is that it's looking like the few gen. eds that the BS requires are things he already has completed previously so that his course load will be more like 12-15 units per semester rather than the 17-18 credits per semester that the program requires. AND, he will very likely be able to knock out 2 years of the core math and science courses at the MUCH cheaper community college. AND, the in-town university has a strong Mechanical Engineering program, so he can live at home and save room & board.

More good news is that he's now 24yo, so he doesn't need to include parent financial info on his FAFSA. More bad news is that because he has a degree, he's not eligible for Pell grants. Possibly work study, but we'll have to see. More bad news -- he has no money or assets, having used everything to get his BA.

Potentially good news is that there are several companies locally that heavily hire mechanical engineers, AND once you're a junior/senior in the program, these companies offer paid internships. So there there is some potential funding from that source. And esp. good would be the strong possibility of a job.

We'll keep you updated on our financial roller coaster and paying for degree #2, as the story unfolds...

• Like 1

:scared: Are you pulling an April Fool's joke?

If only...

Actually Sue, I have no doubt that DS will manage this. He has always had a strong natural interest and ability with math and science, and I actually thought from early on he would go into a STEM field. In middle/high school he got very interested in filmmaking, and then in high school, he got very interested in Logic/Philosophy/Worldview, and so that's why he pursued the AAS in digital media, and the Humanities-related BA.

It's just that 4 years is going to be a long haul. Esp. after having done 5 years of college previously.

He's got to start this summer with a pre-requisite math class, and then in the fall he'll have Calculus, Math, and an Intro Engineering course, and in the spring he'll have more Calculus, a Mechanics Physics course, an Engineering Computer programing course, and a CAD course -- so by the end of one year, he should have a very good idea of whether or not he wants to do this.

:grouphug:  Lori. Count on children to keep life interesting!

lol. That's an understatement. ;) The other DS is trying to line up a position with wildland firefighting this year, after his year last year working with trail restoration with an AmeriCorps project. I didn't ever picture myself as being "that mom" -- you know, the one with the of out-of-the-box adult kids, taking the "less traveled" roads. ;)

And Margaret:   :grouphug:  on your own family's journey right now.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I didn't ever picture myself as being "that mom" -- you know, the one with the of out-of-the-box adult kids, taking the "less traveled" roads. ;)

I'm out of likes due to those other threads...  :glare: , but I wanted to add that I kind of enjoy being "that mom" and seeing where my kids end up... 

Best wishes to your guy on his new endeavor! 

• Like 5

Lori, it is no surprise to some of us that you have turned into "that mum". : )

Has he considered a coop program? That would get him work experience, a break from school, and money. Some engineering programs offer this as an option even if they don't really advertise it.

Nan

• Like 1

Lori, it is no surprise to some of us that you have turned into "that mum". : )

Has he considered a coop program? That would get him work experience, a break from school, and money. Some engineering programs offer this as an option even if they don't really advertise it.

Nan

Lol! Thanks Nan. :)  Truly, I do love having "road less traveled" DSs... Just feeling a little nail-biting anxious recently, having DSs be a bit older, seeing many of their peers -- many of whom are just finishing up degrees now, marrying, and having babies -- and wondering when will DSs "make the jump to full independence" in their delayed/unique timetables. ;)

Thanks for the co-op program thought. Yes, there are some paid co-op and internship programs in Engineering with the local big company that hires a lot of Engineers, but you have to be starting your senior year of the Engineering program at the university to be eligible. But that will be an option while (and an incentive for!) finishing up a degree. ;)

DS spent this entire past year out of school -- and largely out of work -- and I think he just wants to get in and get DONE with this before he gets any older...

• Like 1

Lol! Thanks Nan. :) Truly, I do love having "road less traveled" DSs... Just feeling a little nail-biting anxious recently, having DSs be a bit older, seeing many of their peers -- many of whom are just finishing up degrees now, marrying, and having babies -- and wondering when will DSs "make the jump to full independence" in their delayed/unique timetables. ;)

Thanks for the co-op program thought. Yes, there are some paid co-op and internship programs in Engineering with the local big company that hires a lot of Engineers, but you have to be starting your senior year of the Engineering program at the university to be eligible. But that will be an option while (and an incentive for!) finishing up a degree. ;)

DS spent this entire past year out of school -- and largely out of work -- and I think he just wants to get in and get DONE with this before he gets any older...

I sympathize with the problem. Our boys are always comparing themselves to us and compared to us, they are waaay behind. We had two boys and a house at 30. Oldest didn't start college until later and middle one took a break midway. They just wanted to get done. However, I was thinking not of working an internship but doing a full engineering coop program, the kind where you alternate school and work. Our oldest two did coop programs and graduated/will graduate with lots of work experience. It provided relief from school and motivation as well. Some students at their school even manage to pay off their debt that way. Here is an example: http://www.northeastern.edu/coop/students/overview/

Good luck!

Nan

• Like 1

All that uncertainty -- I cannot even wrap my head around how difficult it is... praying and thinking for you... but the scholarship is such good news! Take time to celebrate! Take a moment to tell DD "You're AWESOME! You've done FANTASTIC work!"  I'm sure she's struggling with plenty of her own uncertainty, too! (Not that you haven't just revel in it a bit!)

Then focus on the next part of the decision making process. They're both good choices.

DS is at UNC and his Det is at CSU -- there are always other cadets making their way to Det classes and events so carpooling is a part of it. (which, I know you know as DS is also part of an extended detachment)  In fact, I'd say the UNC part of the unit is extra close because they have to work together more closely than the CSU cadets, just by virtue of there being fewer of them, and having to work out logistics. So, yes, the transportation issue is a hassle but it's got benefits, too.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get her to CU to meet with the battalion commander for the Mines' squadron in April, but I just don't see how. She can't really miss any class, we're calving, and we have 8+ Scouts thing in the next 6 weeks. Two today, in fact. Part of the problem is that she's scared of Mines. She's the "dumb" one in the family--she's not, of course, but she doesn't test as well as her superstar testing siblings. I pointed out yesterday that she has a higher grade in calc that either her Navy sister or her brother had...  :lol:  I'm waiting for a call back from the Norwich ROTC fin aid guy. I have to have it all laid out before she can decide. If the difference is $20,000, she's going to Mines.  If it's $2,000, we can do Norwich. It's just so hard--will dh be alive in a year? Will the cattle market stay up? (it should, for this year, because of all the cattle killed in the fires). Will the stock market stay up? ARG!

Margaret-

So many worries, so many variables. 

Praying that you find the right path and that you find peace through this difficult time. 

Praying for your husband and for all of you. I agree with Kathy 100%- cancer sucks! 

I can imagine that your daughter (and all the children) are reeling right now. Living daily life- let alone making big decisions- in the midst of cancer is such a challenge. 

Holding you all up and sending hugs and strength.

• Like 1

Well, I just read through what I posted back in October. Life has taken another twist and turn, with dh diagnosed with Stage IV melanoma. These next 4 years of college for dd are going to be interesting.  :grouphug:  to all trying to figure out their next steps. 

Oh, Margaret.  I'm so sorry.  Sending hugs and prayers your way.

Nancy

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm trying to figure out a way to get her to CU to meet with the battalion commander for the Mines' squadron in April, but I just don't see how. She can't really miss any class, we're calving, and we have 8+ Scouts thing in the next 6 weeks. Two today, in fact. Part of the problem is that she's scared of Mines. She's the "dumb" one in the family--she's not, of course, but she doesn't test as well as her superstar testing siblings. I pointed out yesterday that she has a higher grade in calc that either her Navy sister or her brother had... :lol: I'm waiting for a call back from the Norwich ROTC fin aid guy. I have to have it all laid out before she can decide. If the difference is $20,000, she's going to Mines. If it's $2,000, we can do Norwich. It's just so hard--will dh be alive in a year? Will the cattle market stay up? (it should, for this year, because of all the cattle killed in the fires). Will the stock market stay up? ARG!

I know you have been through family deaths before but in case you are having trouble thinking at the moment...

You might want to encourage your daughter to go to whichever school will be easiest for her to make it through - easiest academic policy, easiest scholarship terms, most emotional support, high interest academics and extracurricular activities. Whether your husband survives or not, your daughter's college years are probably going to be one hugely emotionally draining struggle. Would that struggle be easier where she can visit home easily, or would she be better off out of the fray? Will she need the companionship of animals for emotional stability? Siblings? Would she be better off living within the structure of the regiment Norwich or in a less regimented situation?

Sadly, we have experience with these factors (animals, siblings, near/far, high/low interest, support, academic/scholarship policies, regimental living/non-reg) during a close family member's death, and within a friend's family, the miraculous survival of a father. These factors were make or break in getting through and graduating, but which circumstances were right depended on the student. School was a huge struggle for them all as they struggled to deal with their familys' situations.

I am sorry to be so blunt but there is not really a good way to say this.

Hugs,

Nan

• Like 4

Nan, thank you so much. I'd been thinking upon those same lines--that Mines might be really rough. She will get more support at Norwich. Good news today--she got a $500 scholarship from the electric company. There were others that she could have applied for, but it was all too overwhelming at the time. She can actually continue some music at Norwich, and that is a big consideration.

Much more support, I should think. She won't have to spend emotional energy organizing her time or dealing with housing or transportation so staying busy will be easier. Camaraderie will be built in. She won't be able to slip through the cracks. Academics should be less stressful. Etc.

Hugs,

Nan

Eta REALLY REALLY nice about the music. That might turn out to be important, too.

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 1