Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

s/o: What trends/styles do you wish would come back?

What trends or styles did you like that you wish would come back?

Edited by Kinsa

Okay, I'll admit it... I wish panty hose would come back. I have terrible looking legs (always have), and I prefer to mask them with panty hose. It's like make-up for my legs. (LOL)

• Like 17

Can I respond with trends that should never die? Wearing workout gear even if you aren't actually about to, currently or returning from working out. I love this trend sooooo much. And that video from Australia I think of the moms doing things in their active wear!! Love it!

Id love to see a return of shirts with waists. I love the long tunic over leggings look but I am extremely hour glass- linebacker shoulders, small waist, childbearing hips. Straight tunics just make me look larger than I am.

Hats. Id love to see more hats other than baseball caps. 90% of my hair days are bad hair days and a cute hat trend could really help me out.

• Like 8

I also wish pantyhose would come back.  I dislike the feel of bare feet in shoes, and not all shoes work with the little invisible sock thingys. Are they still called peds? 

I wish the midi-skirt would come back.  I remember the first time I tried one on; I think I was working at my first job.  It was floaty and full and came to about mid-calf. I felt so graceful and comfortable.  I guess hemlines are pretty variable but it seems what I find now are short, or maxi.    So, I just did a search on midi-skirts and I see everything from just blow the knee to almost maxi.  I guess that fits the definition.  But I never see those in the stores. 

Also denim and chambray skirts. I couldn't find any the last 2 years, except the straight short style. 

Maybe I need to look online more and take the plunge of ordering without trying on. 

• Like 5

You know what trend I loved?  The dress shorts with tights under them.  I much preferred this to the mini-skirt.  And I used to be thin and wear them to work and I looked great if I do say so myself.  Mine weren't short/short, just a couple of inches above the knee.

Pantyhose.  Even in my best years as a teen who worked out, I had ugly flabby pale legs. I NEEEEEED the camouflage!

I am veering into "ol' lady" age (47 next month!) so I will wear pantyhose. I'd rather have people laugh at me for wearing pantyhose than have nightmares from the sight of my bare legs. :lol:

• Like 6

I still wear control top pantyhose. I never jumped on that bandwagon. My legs look better in hose and my clothes lay better when I am wearing hose and/or the right foundation garment.

• Like 7

Shoes that are wider in the toe area. Until the mid-90s, it was very difficult for me to find dress shoes that weren't too narrow. When chunky toe shoes came in, I could suddenly find them easily. I hate that the "elf shoes" have come back.

• Like 16

Clogs. I have very narrow heels and my feet always slip in dress shoes. Open back styles work so much better! I still actually wear a black leather pair with my black dress pants. Between the shoe issue and the extremely pale skin no stocking thing I have given up wearing dresses, even though I actually do have nice legs.

• Like 2

Although I'm far too lazy, I would love to see big 80s hair back.  I have always loved big hair.

And your pantyhose wants make me shudder.  Free the legs!  (Actually, to each her own.  I loathe pantyhose but respect your right to like them.)

I also like high waisted pants and peasant skirts.  It would be great for those to be back in.  I wear the pants anyway (thanks, llbean!), but at least I'd look cool!

Ooh, and nifty 80s sweaters.  

Hmm.  I'm sensing a trend.  I <3 the 80s!

• Like 5

Also denim and chambray skirts. I couldn't find any the last 2 years, except the straight short style. 

I recently bought this chambray shirt from Old Navy. It really is more classic in style. 

• Like 1

Sleeves. I want sleeves back on simple summer dresses.

Oh, I guess that means I would like to see a return of simple summer dresses (ones that I don't have to make myself and are reasonably priced).

• Like 14

I was in my 20's in the 90's and I still much prefer the loose fitted grunge style.  Overall shorts/shorts with bibs, really soft well worn flannels  that you stole out of your dad's closet, big black combat boots or those shoes that resembled slippers, rockport sandals. Wearing really flowy long dresses with boots and either a brown leather bomber jacket or ratty cardigan from the thrift store.

• Like 7

I still wear nylons on a regular basis. I'm often the only person in the room who is, at least for the under 70 set. LOL

One trend I'd like to see come back is CLOSED CONCEPT housing. I'm not into having my home all hanging out in the open!  I want a separate, distinct kitchen space, and one that is most definitely NOT within view of the living spaces (other than a hearty dining space). I don't want to have my television turned up super loud when someone is banging around in the kitchen. I don't want a single monstrous living space; I want cozy little retreats throughout my home. Not like the old 100s-year old homes, but something with some semi-private, secluded spots in the common areas.

My house shopping process was lengthy and exhausting, and a number of realtors thought I was nuts. But I did finally find my perfect home. And right now I'm sitting in the living room NOT looking into my dish-filled sink and NOT hearing my daughter bake.  And that's a good thing.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 33

Tita, I agree! My current house is closed concept and I love it. It's surprised me the number of folks that have come in and, while chatting about some renovations we've made, they say, "and you could knock out that wall there between..."

No! I bought this house because it HAS that wall! Seriously, where do people even hang their art and family pictures, and where do they put their bookcases if there are no walls to put them against?

• Like 12

Tita, I couldn't agree more about the closed concept housing!  OMG, I used to live in an open concept house WITH SIX BOYS.  'Nuff said.

• Like 2

Although I'm far too lazy, I would love to see big 80s hair back.  I have always loved big hair.

I looked so much better with big hair!

And the haircut where the top layer was shorter, but you could still have the bottom longer.  NOT MULLET, because the whole bottom layer was longer.  I needed that height on top but longer on the bottom look.  

• Like 1

We left an open concept house and now live in one that is the perfect combination of open and closed. I did not want to feel boxed in by walls but I didn't want wide open like we'd had. When we toured this house we walked in and I was so excited we'd found exactly what I'd envisioned. A kitchen you couldn't see into from every direction!

Edited by UCF612
  • Like 4

Normal length sleeves. I think you can get them, but not sure how popular they are. Awkward length sleeves make me feel like I'm wearing hand me downs of a child lol.

• Like 2

Maybe I need to look online more and take the plunge of ordering without trying on. 

There are plenty on eBay. Just be sure to ask the seller for the length and waist and hip measurements.

I still wear nylons on a regular basis. I'm often the only person in the room who is, at least for the under 70 set. LOL

One trend I'd like to see come back is CLOSED CONCEPT housing. I'm not into having my home all hanging out in the open!  I want a separate, distinct kitchen space, and one that is most definitely NOT within view of the living spaces (other than a hearty dining space). I don't want to have my television turned up super loud when someone is banging around in the kitchen. I don't want a single monstrous living space; I want cozy little retreats throughout my home. Not like the old 100s-year old homes, but something with some semi-private, secluded spots in the common areas.

My house shopping process was lengthy and exhausting, and a number of realtors thought I was nuts. But I did finally find my perfect home. And right now I'm sitting in the living room NOT looking into my dish-filled sink and NOT hearing my daughter bake.  And that's a good thing.  :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:  We're moving to TN and DH will probably pick out our house without me  :eek: . I have a huge list of must haves but the top must NOT have is open concept. I like everything to be separated, so much easier to clean and maintain IMO.

• Like 2

I liked the hair style where you did a french twist and held it in place with a clip. It was so easy to do and I thought it looked nice.

Yes! Or, dare I say it, banana clips? My hair looked great in a banana clip. If it didn't scream old lady reliving Saved By The Bell and if I could find one, Id probably wear it.

• Like 5

Houses in Scotland are rarely open-plan: heating large open spaces with high ceilings is crushingly expensive.  We use central heating to keep most of the house at around 15 degrees C, then heat the sitting room with a wood stove to a higher temperature.  When that room is warm, we open the doors and the rest of the house warms slowly.

• Like 4

Pretty clothes. Feminine styles. We watched I think it was Say Anything--some movie with teens from the '80's. And it reminded me that as teens we wore skirts--prairie skirts were very popular, but also A-line skirts and mini skirts where "mini" meant just above the knee, not just under the butt. We all had pretty blouses somewhere in our wardrobe--if not for every day, at least for sometimes. I remember a beautiful princess-cut coat from Seventeen magazine that I wanted--my own coat wasn't quite the same but was still a feminine cut. We had pumps and flats, we wore mostly tasteful makeup, hair was curled and styled. I miss "pretty."

• Like 9

I wish men would wear hats when they went out. They looked like gentlemen. Theyd have to wear suits then, wouldn't they? I wouldn't complain.

Uptown Funk!

• Like 2

I still wear pantyhose with dresses.

I want the hairstyles of the 80's back.  My hair was SO good at them.  Not the mullet, but the shag.  I have, basically, Flashdance-friendly hair. 

And pumps with rounded toes that are not as casual as ballet slippers--like the ones made of patent leather.  Comfy but cute.

Formal dinner parties that are still cozy/comfy/fun.  I like to set a nice table, but people find that intimidating so I almost never do it.  I like long, extended dinner meals for those, with cocktails before dinner, and then a little break to get dinner on the table, and then dinner, and then a little break for a walk or whatever, and then dessert with cordials.  Great conversation, great company.  Fun times! 

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

Anything from the decade of 1940, especially dresses and shoes. I would like to see the return of quality-made clothing. Beautiful hats.

I also like the preppy look from the 80s.

• Like 11

Crushed velvet.

I need more crushed velvet in my life. The hippy shops these days are filled with Indian printed fabric, or fabric that is meant to look like it is printed in India. It's so thin you could shoot a pea through it. Crushed velvet wears well. If I could buy some crushed velvet skirts, I wouldn't need to go shopping for another 15 years. I'm down to my last one. I'm going to have to pick it apart to use as a pattern, otherwise the whole world will think I'm some kind of jeans wearer and not suspect that my soul longs for crushed velvet.

• Like 11

Add me to the list of those who wish closed floor plans would make a return! I am designing our new house now, and I've spent an ETERNITY looking for a plan that doesn't leave the kitchen wide open to the living area -- the front door, even! :svengo: Like I need the UPS man seeing the state of my kitchen at 9:00 in the morning...

I finally found something I could work with and have been happily ADDING walls!!!

• Like 5

I was in my 20's in the 90's and I still much prefer the loose fitted grunge style. Overall shorts/shorts with bibs, really soft well worn flannels that you stole out of your dad's closet, big black combat boots or those shoes that resembled slippers, rockport sandals. Wearing really flowy long dresses with boots and either a brown leather bomber jacket or ratty cardigan from the thrift store.

Yes! Baby doll dress, combat boots and a flannel tied over. Totally me. Oooh, with torn fish nets. Alas I am now 53 and would likely look homeless and not cute.

• Like 11

I'm shocked at the number of people who want the 80s back. I was a senior in '87 and once through was enough for me!

You all can save me a spot on the closed-concept kitchen bandwagon though. Who ARE these people who Dont mind looking at their entire house from the front door? I'm guessing people who are out of their houses most of the day instead of inside trashing them.

• Like 10

We live in a semi-closed craftsman style house in Phoenix. I think it was California inspired. The living room, dining room, office is in the front of the house and the family room and kitchen are through an arched hallway in the back. I love that about my house. But wouldn't you know it that the kitchen, breakfast space and family room are all in one big open area? Kids and animals traipsing underfoot whenever I try to cook, thanksgiving dinner prep going on right in the middle of company...NO FUN

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

Yup!  We even put french doors on our living room doorways so that we could shut off noise from the rest of the house (and we can heat spaces separately this way). 

• Like 1

Okay, I'll admit it... I wish panty hose would come back. I have terrible looking legs (always have), and I prefer to mask them with panty hose. It's like make-up for my legs. (LOL)

I have decided I am wearing them anyway, after seeing an article about how Kate Middleton wears them. Make sure they are good ones and just do it. My legs are not bare-worthy.

• Like 7

Tita, I agree! My current house is closed concept and I love it. It's surprised me the number of folks that have come in and, while chatting about some renovations we've made, they say, "and you could knock out that wall there between..."

No! I bought this house because it HAS that wall! Seriously, where do people even hang their art and family pictures, and where do they put their bookcases if there are no walls to put them against?

That's what makes me nuts about all the fix-it-up TV shows. The first thing out of the mouth of every designer is, "...knock down the wall..." No thank you. I love me some walls, people. I don't want people walking in the front door and seeing every mess from the foyer to the back of the kitchen!

• Like 11

I miss roll-down car windows.  There was something very satisfying in rolling the glass pane until it topped out.  No power assist, no one-touch actuation.  At least I'd like it as an option ...

Edited by Samm
  • Like 8

Yup! We even put french doors on our living room doorways so that we could shut off noise from the rest of the house (and we can heat spaces separately this way).

I love open concept, but I would do French doors. You can have it closed off, but have the big windows of the doors. It wouldn't feel so closed in.

Kelly

• Like 1

I agree about the closed vs. open concept houses.  I do not understand these people!  I want defined spaces.  I want to be able to close a door for some privacy or to dull the noise or to hide all the clutter I quickly scooped up and dumped in the other room!  We tore down the wall between our family room and kitchen and it annoys the heck out of me.  LOL.  I hate having to listen to someone else's tv show while I am in the kitchen.  But we do have french doors from the kitchen into the dining room and then from the front hall into the living room.  So we can close off that half of the house.  And we have study too where we can close the door.  I love doors!  

• Like 3

Anything from the decade of 1940, especially dresses and shoes. I would like to see the return of quality-made clothing. Beautiful hats.

This. I love everything fashion from 1930s-40s. 

• Like 5

I would like to see lady-like hats and gloves as everyday wear come back into fashion.  I LOVE accessories!

• Like 12

This. I love everything fashion from 1930s-40s. 

You can find it.

You just have to look. :) I love it too.

I think what's hard though is that women used to dress like that anytime they left the house. They looked nice to go anywhere. They'd wear what was it...a housedress to clean house and stuff, but they never went places looking like that.

But were I to dress 1940s-50s to say Walmart, or the dentist, or (sometimes) even church, people would think "Wow, she sure is dressed up."

• Like 5

This might be embarrassing, but,

Fun, non-mean rap music, from the mid-80s, like "Parents Just Don't Understand"

• Like 8

Houses in Scotland are rarely open-plan: heating large open spaces with high ceilings is crushingly expensive.  We use central heating to keep most of the house at around 15 degrees C, then heat the sitting room with a wood stove to a higher temperature.  When that room is warm, we open the doors and the rest of the house warms slowly.

That logical design is common here in older homes.  Heating is expensive so you have to be thoughtful about design.  I like my little rabbit warren of a house. I like having many rooms.  They've all got lovely names, too.  Some were called what they are called when the house was built. Others came to be as the house evolved over its lifetime.  I love being able to say, "let's adjourn to the parlour for some music" and there's really a room called the parlour and we do keep the piano and all the music gear in there. There's the butler's pantry (my laundry/cleaning/mud room). There's a library off the parlour we use for school, and an upstairs library, too, which is really just an unused bedroom, but was always called a library as far as dh can remember.  I use it for an office.  I suppose the house could be made all open, but it would lose its charm and coziness. 

• Like 7

I would like to see lady-like hats and gloves as everyday wear come back into fashion.  I LOVE accessories!

I wish I could find hats I look good in. 

My dd is the accessories girl. She looks good in all hats. :)

• Like 4