Menu

STEAM curriculum?

My friend is looking for a STEAM curriculum to use with her girls (ages 7 and 9...but advanced so could do something a bit older).

Any suggestions? She's fine with unit studies, open and go curriculum, whatever. Just needs some ideas.

Is she looking for a supplement to beef up existing school work, or for something to use for a complete elementary math and science sequence?

Is she looking for a supplement to beef up existing school work, or for something to use for a complete elementary math and science sequence?

Supplemental. 

I think they do BJU or Abeka, so she wants just something to add to that. Her daughters love experiments, building, and things along those lines. 

One thing we do is to hit the thrift stores for science stuff. We go at least once a week, because we buy nearly nothing new for our family of eight. Anyhow, a lot of people buy expensive science kits, never use them, and donate them to the thrift store. This week we scored another Smithsonian kit for $5. So, that's one option.

I'm a big believer in doing handicrafts with children. I think it's an excellent preparation for STEAM careers, and helps boost self confidence and feelings of satisfaction. There's all sorts of things that require elements of design and arts... cross stitching, knitting, quilling, sewing, quilting, weaving, woodworking, leatherworking, beading, calligraphy, etc.

And then of course the arts like painting, sketching, sculpture.

I like to have my kids spend time on code.org for their computer science.

STEAM can cover so many things! Sorry I can't point to anything more specific and concise that would supplement in those areas.

• Like 4

One thing we do is to hit the thrift stores for science stuff. We go at least once a week, because we buy nearly nothing new for our family of eight. Anyhow, a lot of people buy expensive science kits, never use them, and donate them to the thrift store. This week we scored another Smithsonian kit for $5. So, that's one option.

I'm a big believer in doing handicrafts with children. I think it's an excellent preparation for STEAM careers, and helps boost self confidence and feelings of satisfaction. There's all sorts of things that require elements of design and arts... cross stitching, knitting, quilling, sewing, quilting, weaving, woodworking, leatherworking, beading, calligraphy, etc.

And then of course the arts like painting, sketching, sculpture.

I like to have my kids spend time on code.org for their computer science.

STEAM can cover so many things! Sorry I can't point to anything more specific and concise that would supplement in those areas.

This does help and will probably give her a bit more direction. I'll mention these to her.

I know she's doing projects and stuff now, but with a new baby and a 2 year old, I think she's overwhelmed and wanting a magic solution. (I don't blame her.)

Maybe she just needs a good pile of project books?

Something like these...

The Art of Tinkering

62 Projects to Make With a Dead Computer

Make: Tinkering

Backyard Ballistics

Funky Junk

These are just starters - there are a ton of other options that might be better for various ages or interests... and libraries often have a good selection of art, making, electronics, and idea books too. I find that having stuff like this around inspires my kids, even if not always to do the project in the book, but to get into the idea of another project.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've also been looking for this without success. I find timber doodle packages inspiring when I look, but not quite fitting the bill. They do have neat kits for art, logic puzzles, and technology in their curriculums. Thanks for starting the thread, spending my screen time today browsing the links!

Incorporate art by natural methods. If they study cells (or almost anything) make a model of playdoh or clay, or paint a model picture. eie units as listed above are comprehensive but $. I think of art aspect to mean demonstration or exploration of stem besides writing or oral methods. For instance, physics can incorporate drawing a design before building a machine or used to document afterwards. Nature studies with drawings are an obvious choice.

• 1 month later...