Menu

heroin, how to discuss this very serious topic with kids

SparklyUnicorn

Does anyone know of a particularly effective documentary a young teen could watch?  I checked out a couple on youtube when this thread was first posted; the first was an episode of Drugs Inc., which IMO went too far afield into the economics and politics.  I'm looking for something more immediate, something that will show DS "the naked truth," so to speak.  I did find one on meth that was OK (can't find it now to share the title).  I'll tell ya, this is the most exhausting and depressing research project I've ever undertaken!

• Like 1

We have lots of casual conversations about drugs and alcohol - and habits, expenses, criminal records, long term health....it sinks in.  They start to understand all the different aspects of why it's a bad idea.  Now that pot's legal in various places, classification of drugs has come up and why each is what it is.

This. We have had lots of discussion about drugs and alcohol and cigarettes and how they negatively affect your life and health. Also, have discussed healthy coping mechanisms like exercise, talking with family and friends, watching comedies, relaxation techniques, etc. I have also discussed at length how people things drugs and alcohol will make then feel better when in fact they ultimately do the opposite when abused as well as how addictive some substances are and what happens when your body is addicted. There may be good documentaries to watch too which I will not also hesitate to show ds.