Menu

What is the most heavy duty kind of bed sheet?

VaKim

I don't buy cheap sheets. So that is not the problem. Maybe cheap ones would be better. Anyway, my problem is that I keep wearing holes in my fitted sheets where my feet are. Yes, my feet get rough in the winter, and yes, I move a lot when I sleep. I am sure that is what is causing it. Please don't suggest I wear socks, as the hot flashes nearly kill me already. I just want to know if anyone knows what the most durable material would be for sheets. I don't even care if it is soft or whatever at this point. I just want something that won't wear thin and get holes so quickly. As it is, I am going through a fitted sheet about every 4-6 months. Any ideas?

Oh, and links would be nice. All we have locally is a Walmart and a Peebles.

Edited by VaKim
  • Like 1

Well, I'm not sure what makes a sheet heavy wearing, but I like the sheets at Target (it's a house brand, I think) that are sold individually.  They are $10 a piece, and come in a nice brushed cotton.  We've had ours for 18 months (and I wash weekly), so far so good.

You might also see if you can use some pumice and lotion to soften your feet?

• Like 3

sateen sheets are actually the weakest weave, and most prone to holes.

look at the type of weave and the *quality* of the fiber.  a  lower thread count of a *quality* fiber will last longer than a high thread count cheap fiber..

I would never buy sheets at walmart or similar stores, unless I planned on replacing sheets on a regular basis. (or wanted sheets that felt like sandpaper.)

I've been very pleased with the set I bought at costco, and they've lasted a long time.

eta: my dry feet have been due to inadequate water.  I simply make sure I drink enough - then slather nivea on them and let it simply soak in.  dh has exceptionally dry feet - and his have never put a hole in our sheets.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 4

Thanks for the suggestions about the feet, but I honestly think it is that I move all night more than the roughness of my feet, as they are not rough in the summer and it happens then too. Also, DH has very rough feet, but he sleeps like a rock and it doesn't happen on his side. 

• Like 1

The Costco sheets are nice and strong.  

If you move your feet so much that you are wearing out sheets, have you been evaluated for restless leg syndrome? I assume you are pressing your feet into the sheet for you to actively wear them out in that period of time. Restless leg can make you do that and can be really hard on your quality of sleep. 

Another though is to make sure you have a mattress protector on the mattress, under the sheet.  This can help make sure you aren't rubbing the sheet against some heavy stitching or buttons on your mattress. 

• Like 6

I'd look for good quality percale sheets. I think I'm going to try the ones from LL Bean next.  Although they get mixed reviews on their site, if you check sites that review sheets the ones from LL Bean usually rank at or near the top.  I think many younger people who are used to high thread count, flimsy sateen sheets don't understand percale.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

Linen sheets will last approximately eternity. I have several in my "spare sheets" pile that are at least 50 years old and are in *very* great shape. Likewise, I have linen table cloths that are at least 90 years old (several generations back, I know which family because they are monogrammed) and have been used, hot water washed, and bleached hundreds to thousands of times and are in excellent shape. 

Anyway, if you can get linen sheets, then that'll do you.

If not linen, I'd just suggest buying 3 or so fitted sheets to match whatever flat/pillowcases you have/buy, and then accepting that the fitted sheets wear out faster. 

Back in the day, we let our dogs sleep in our bed, under the covers. We went through fitted sheets very fast, always tearing. I feel your pain. 

• Like 6

Linen sheets will last approximately eternity. I have several in my "spare sheets" pile that are at least 50 years old and are in *very* great shape. Likewise, I have linen table cloths that are at least 90 years old (several generations back, I know which family because they are monogrammed) and have been used, hot water washed, and bleached hundreds to thousands of times and are in excellent shape. 

Anyway, if you can get linen sheets, then that'll do you.

If not linen, I'd just suggest buying 3 or so fitted sheets to match whatever flat/pillowcases you have/buy, and then accepting that the fitted sheets wear out faster. 

Back in the day, we let our dogs sleep in our bed, under the covers. We went through fitted sheets very fast, always tearing. I feel your pain. 

except - you can't get those kind of sheets anymore.  if you can, I'd be interested in where.  I still have fond memories of the linen sheets at my great-aunt's that she ironed.   . . . .

• Like 3

Another vote for linen sheets. Yes they're expensive compared to cotton sheets, but they will be the last set of sheets you ever buy, and you can hand them down to your kids and probably grandkids, so if you divide the cost by the number of years you'll be using them, linen is a much better deal than cotton. A queen sheet from Rough Linen is $160, but even if it only lasted 20 years, that's $8/yr, versus going through 2 sets of cheap sheets every year. And once you sleep in linen, you'll never want to go back to cotton. If you are having hot flashes, you will love linen, because it feels cooler and less clingy than cotton, although it's also warm in winter with blankets on top. But linen doesn't stick to you when you're sweaty the way cotton does.

I use flat sheets from Rough Linen for bottom sheets, because those really were the best quality I could find for bottom sheets, but I use a duvet cover and pillow cases from H&M that are only $129 for a king set, so it averages out. Ikea also sells a king linen duvet set for $90, although I like the H&M set better (whiter and a little heavier IMO, and the pillowcases are nicer).

• Like 7

except - you can't get those kind of sheets anymore.  if you can, I'd be interested in where.  I still have fond memories of the linen sheets at my great-aunt's that she ironed.   . . . .

Lots of places sell linen sheets now; off the top of my head I can think of West Elm, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Garnet Hill, and Rough Linen. My preference is for Rough Linen because they're really heavy, the linen is from Belgium, and they're made in the US. Some of the cheaper linen sheets come from China (which I suspect is where the H&M and Ikea duvet sets come from). Since the bottom sheets get a lot more wear and tear than top sheets/duvet covers, I use Rough Linen bottom sheets and went with cheaper options for the duvet cover. 

ETA: I've read a number of negative reviews about "stonewashed" linen sheets from places like RH and Garnet Hill, saying that the process greatly weakened the fibers and they wore out. I figured if I was going to spend that kind off money on sheets, I wanted them to last forever and Rough Linen's sheets seemed to be the highest quality.

• Like 1

I buy the microfiber fleece sheets from The Company Store. They are warm and cozy and they hold up to a lot. We use our bed as a couch and we have 2 big dogs that sleep with us. We are hard on our things. I still have the first set I bought almost 10 years ago and they really are not worn at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If it is restless leg syndrome, having satisfying TEA (alone or with your DH) before sleep will help.

Google Restless Leg Syndrome and orgasms if you want to know why.

Lol. No, it isn't that. I just don't really sleep much at all and spend most nights tossing and turning. I sometimes use my feet to sort of rock myself to sleep (my mom said she does the same thing). And I am certain it is menopause that is the cause, because I slept just fine until after my hysterectomy a few years ago. 

• Like 1

Another vote for linen sheets. Yes they're expensive compared to cotton sheets, but they will be the last set of sheets you ever buy, and you can hand them down to your kids and probably grandkids, so if you divide the cost by the number of years you'll be using them, linen is a much better deal than cotton. A queen sheet from Rough Linen is $160, but even if it only lasted 20 years, that's $8/yr, versus going through 2 sets of cheap sheets every year. And once you sleep in linen, you'll never want to go back to cotton. If you are having hot flashes, you will love linen, because it feels cooler and less clingy than cotton, although it's also warm in winter with blankets on top. But linen doesn't stick to you when you're sweaty the way cotton does.

I use flat sheets from Rough Linen for bottom sheets, because those really were the best quality I could find for bottom sheets, but I use a duvet cover and pillow cases from H&M that are only $129 for a king set, so it averages out. Ikea also sells a king linen duvet set for $90, although I like the H&M set better (whiter and a little heavier IMO, and the pillowcases are nicer).

I've had my costco sheets for at least 10 years, and they're still in great shape.  I think I paid $75 for a set.  . . .  not a bad deal . . .

• Like 1

DH's feet get rough enough to wear through the bottom sheet. One trick I use to prolong the sheets a bit is to put them on upside down after each wash. So the spot where his feet were prior to washing is now roughly under my pillow. It won't make the sheet last forever, but it'll buy you a little more time. 

I am, however, now in love with those Rough Linen sheets and will have to restrain myself from buying them!

• Like 2

DH's feet get rough enough to wear through the bottom sheet. One trick I use to prolong the sheets a bit is to put them on upside down after each wash. So the spot where his feet were prior to washing is now roughly under my pillow. It won't make the sheet last forever, but it'll buy you a little more time. 

I actually do this too. 

I am now drooling over those Rough Linen sheets, but I think DH would kill me if I spent that much on one sheet. Actually, he would more probably just decide that he suddenly "needed" some really expensive tool, lol.

Edited by VaKim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

My preference is for Linen Studio RG linen bedding. Have their sheets for 5 years, love them! It is a family run business. Everything is made by hand. Their sheets really heavy and durable, the linen is grown and woven in Belgium, and they're made in the US. Larger companies all use cheap linen from China, and you know that better.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi! I know this post is old, but VaKim, I have the same problem, so I just have to commiserate.  I, too, wear through sheets on a regular basis, and search for sheets that are thick and hard wearing. I have found them occasionally, but forget to save that information. I've never been diagnosed with restless leg syndrome, and I think it has to do with me having a severe case of A.D.D., which has worsened over the years. I can't keep my feet and toes still. I just recently was told, by 34 year old son's girlfriend, that he has the same issue! Which took me by surprise, as all three of my kids used to complain (and sometimes still do) about my foot & toe twitching, while we watched tv, because it was sometimes loud, and distracting. Anyway, hang in there, you're not alone! I also have sewed up the holes, and turned the sheet so that the worn area is no longer on my side, as I sleep alone, and can't always afford to replace them right away! 

Amy

UNC (and probably all universities?) in their dorm rooms have LONG TWINS or whatever they are called. We did this last year, so the details are a little fuzzy.  DD was scheduled to fly from South America (where to my amazement my wife did find that size sheet in one store here, but no selection of colors, etc.) and arrive in her Dorm Room at night, with NO bedding on the bed in her room. So, I wanted her to have at least one set of bed sheets in her luggage, when she arrived there, and then the next day she could buy a Pillow, blankets, etc.

eBay was the solution!    We bought one pair of the bed sheets for that size bed from a very reputable eBay Seller in NY or NJ. They are for Hotels/Motels/Dorm rooms, etc.  (We have a Receiver/Forwarder in Miami and they shipped there and then our Receiver/Forwarder sent the item to our house in Colombia). 

After DD had them, she found they were very good and we ordered a 2nd set for her, in a different color, from the same eBay Seller.

(I remember the first set was approximately $12 including shipping to Miami and the 2nd set was approximately $20 including shipping to NC)

NOTE: I remember that when the first set of bed sheets arrived here in Colombia, that they carefully opened the package, without removing anything, and that just from the "Feel" of the sheets, my wife thought they were of very high quality.

On 2/4/2016 at 12:01 PM, need2read said:

I buy the microfiber fleece sheets from The Company Store. They are warm and cozy and they hold up to a lot. We use our bed as a couch and we have 2 big dogs that sleep with us. We are hard on our things. I still have the first set I bought almost 10 years ago and they really are not worn at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set of 100% cotton percale Company Store sheets that has likewise held up extremely well even with dog and cat claws .

oops Zombie thread!!!

2016 Thread!

Edited by Pen

I have sheets without holes that are 15 years old! In your position, I’d make something to protect the foot area of the sheet. Something like that little sleeve they put on coffee, but for your mattress instead of your cup. I’d probably make it out of the damaged sheets with a stretch fabric for the part that goes under the mattress, then slip it on when I change sheets. 

I don’t think any brand is going to stand up to the friction you’re describing. You’ll just wear through more expensive sheets. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I have sheets without holes that are 15 years old! In your position, I’d make something to protect the foot area of the sheet. Something like that little sleeve they put on coffee, but for your mattress instead of your cup. I’d probably make it out of the damaged sheets with a stretch fabric for the part that goes under the mattress, then slip it on when I change sheets. 

I don’t think any brand is going to stand up to the friction you’re describing. You’ll just wear through more expensive sheets. 

I know this is ancient, but since someone brought it back up, I thought I'd update. I decided to just get cheap fitted sheets from Amazon from now on. As long as my top sheet is crisp and cool and comfy, the bottom one does not really matter, and I think the microfiber (which I hate for a top sheet) does wear a bit better. 

Also, I finally figured out exactly what is going on. I don't sleep well at all most of the time since my surgical menopause 8 years ago, and I do a lot of tossing and turning from side to side trying to get comfortable. I noticed that when I turn over, I actually use my feet to push myself over, my toes to be precise. I think my toenails are eventually cutting the sheets, even though I keep them as short as I can. And as I said way back then, I would die of heat stroke if I wore socks, so that is just out. 

Thanks to everybody who tried to help though!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 2/4/2016 at 9:51 AM, VaKim said:

Thanks for the suggestions about the feet, but I honestly think it is that I move all night more than the roughness of my feet, as they are not rough in the summer and it happens then too. Also, DH has very rough feet, but he sleeps like a rock and it doesn't happen on his side. 

DH has soft heels because he likes to wear socks, shoes, or slippers, yet he still does the same thing. It’s simply the motion that wears. We are trying LL Bean’s Percale Cotton.

I read a Consumer Reports article and they said thread count isn’t reliable. One of their longest wearing sheets was only 280! (This was the LL Bean set.) Likewise, they said words like supination, Egyptian, etc., had little to no actual meaning as far as how they wore.

And, if money is no object, the best performer was Matouk Sierra, but wowsa!

• 1 year later...

Trim your nails. My husband destroys bedsheets, especially, the fitted one, because of his tossing and turning due to restless leg syndrome. When tested for it (he didn’t believe he had it), he asked the sleep technician if he had it because his wife was making him do a sleep study to determine it.

The sleep technician told him that he would receive a follow-up with his dr and that he really shouldn't discuss it with him. When my husband pressed him further and asked if he moved around at all, the sleep technician said, “Moving around? You’re running a fuck**g marathon, dude!”