Menu

Dual enrollment -online list of providers...favorites

Too kind..  :blush:  Wouldn't it be great though to have a good list as a resource when we are trying to plan.  Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 2

It would be a disservice not to mention public CCs that encourage DE with reasonable costs.

Unfortunately for some of us where public CCs are offered the courses are $400 a class which is close to some of the other online offerings.  I know for a FACT that Bluefield College offers courses for only $135 a class not course!  I can't find it cheaper anywhere else unless it is free!  :)

We have taken 2 courses at Bluefield and like it well but need a few courses that I haven't seen them offer like Astronomy so looking at other providers.

• 2 weeks later...

Found another....Ohio Christian U.-    ohiochristian.edu

For what it is worth, OCU is not very highly regarded academically. My friend's ds took some DE classes there, and none were accepted by his liberal arts college because they weren't considered rigorous enough. So, if you are taking DE classes with the goal of earning college credit, make sure the colleges your child hopes to attend after high school will accept transfer credit from your DE institution. 

• Like 3

Because we are overseas, online would be our only way to access DE.

I feel like it will be hard to find out much about the instructors beforehand. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Although it can be a mixed bag, ratemyprofessor.com has a fair number of online professors. I'm on there, and so are many of my online colleagues. You might get some feedback on responsiveness to emails, grading, etc.

• Like 2

My daughter is planning on dual enrollment through Liberty University starting her Junior year. They have a plan that she can get her associates degree, along with a high school diploma at the same time.

Have you tried this yet?  We had thought of it but decided on Bluefield since the cost was considerably lower.  Let me know how it goes! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Great to know...thanks! I do know credits at Bluefield College (where we have taken some) are good for all state and private schools in VA where I have checked. William & Mary, University of Mary Washington, Liberty U., UVA.

Thanks for the info! Great thread! Are classes at Bluefield suitable for secular or non-Christian families?

Missed this thread the first time around.  Re: the BYU Idaho recommendation above, you should know that the Idaho campus is much less selective and academically rigorous than the BYU flagship campus, which also offers DE:  www.is.byu.edu.  That said, DS1 took Biology 100 through BYU a couple of years ago, and we were underwhelmed.  It was very much a check-the-intro-course-box kind of class--read the textbook and provided course notes, and take ungraded quizzes and three or four graded tests.  DS was frustrated with unclear/imprecise wording in some of the questions, and there was really no way to take that up with an instructor.   Customer service people and tutors were available, prompt, and helpful, but we could never figure out who was actually in charge and grading the tests. Furthermore, for "test security reasons," they wouldn't allow students to look at their graded tests, so they couldn't figure out what they missed and thus what they needed to bone up on for the final.  

Overall, DS doesn't regret taking it, since it got him out of freshman bio, but I'm not rushing to sign up his brothers.   No idea if this is an outlier--other people I've talked to love BYU classes, particularly for foreign language, so take it for what it's worth.  

For those of you in Georgia, Truett McConnell is free but for us who are out of state it is $100 per credit which is a steal for where I am at and we have had great luck with them too. Guaranteed getting into a class unlike Bluefield where you have to wait. :(

Have you tried their online classes? If so, how'd you like them?

Have you tried their online classes? If so, how'd you like them?

We have had good success...my son took Government with their online class last year and plan to take American History and American Lit through them this year.  They are SUPER nice and very easy to work with, I highly recommend!