Menu

Looking for a college

AngryBircher17

Hi

I'm currently a Junior in high school, and I'm looking for a good classical college. Here's what I'm looking for in a college

1. Small- NO more than 2000 students

2. Classical Education- I want a college that provides a strong classical education. Use of the Great Books, study of Western Civilization.

3. Conservative( preferably Protestant)- I want a culturally conservative college with a serious student body. I want a school that has great respect for Western Culture. I want to AVOID things like Progressivism, Feminism, and Multiculturalism.

Any suggestions?

I want to AVOID things like Progressivism, Feminism, and Multiculturalism.

Why?  These things are part of life, esp the fact that women are equal to men (even with differences between genders) and God gave us all sorts of cultures (and Christians within them)... with benefits from each.

All of us are going to come to our conclusions of how we want to live our lives, of course, but not to even want to learn about the rest of the world and differing thoughts leaves me confused...

I have no issues with any of the rest you're looking for.  This just stood out and left me puzzled.

• Like 8

I guess I can add colleges the more Conservative Christian kids I know often choose, though I'm not always sure about their specific size... and I can't guarantee you won't hear any of those things you want to close your eyes to...

Grove City College

Geneva College

Union College (TN)

Covenant College (my oldest went here due to a specific program they had that he wanted, but he later changed his major - still loved the school)

Secular options:

Washington & Lee

Hillsdale

Military Academies

VMI

Citadel

And I don't personally know anyone who chose these others, but you might like the traditional super conservative places like:

Bob Jones

Oral Roberts

Pensacola Christian (actually, I do know someone who went here for a year, hated it, and returned to find out her credits didn't even transfer to a local Bible College)

I'm sure there are more of each type scattered around, but those are the ones coming to mind this morning.

Try looking into Patrick Henry College.

Edited to add: I just looked, and PHC is larger than I thought. About 6000 or so.

One of my kids attends Cedarville University, about 3000 students. Maybe look into that one.

Cedarville is a good one to suggest.  I'd forgotten about them.  They are YEC if the OP wants that.  (I'm not totally up on some of the others to know if they would be or not - outside the super conservative schools.)

In spite of their size, I suspect PHC could also be appealing, but I don't know anyone personally who has gone there.

First of all, I'm a 16 (almost 17) year old guy. I'm a devout Calvinist Anglican. Women are absolutely equal to men. However, I am a very strong believer in traditional gender roles. My belief is that if a man makes enough money, the place of a married woman is in the home. As far as multiculturalism goes, I am fine with learning about different cultures. What I am against is the Progressive definition of Multiculturalism. I believe that Western culture is far superior to any other. I am a member of the John Birch Society, and a HUGE fan of Pat Buchanan. I actually visited PHC, and it was excellent. It only has 320 students.( I don't know where you got 6000 from(  The academics seemed strong, and the students were friendly. So fat, here are the collees on my list.

Patrick Henry

Hampden-Sydney

Hillsdale

New St. Andrews 

• Like 1

My belief is that if a man makes enough money, the place of a married woman is in the home. 

Just make sure your future wife totally agrees with you.  Like you, I'm a mainly conservative (belief-wise) Christian who absolutely loves our Lord, but he wired me differently.  I'd have either died or been severely depressed if I'd had to just be a stay at home mom.  I tried it until my youngest was 3.  It didn't work well.  My family enjoys having me around far more now that I also work.  My community appreciates what I do too.  My kids are now grown (two still in college, one married & working post college) and have become impressive young men who still are strong in their faith.

Then too, when I read my Bible, I don't see many Western Civilization traits listed as our best models for life.  I see many of them aligning more with the Pharisees who weren't generally Jesus' favorite pals.

None of this has anything to do with giving up solid tenets of our faith.  It's fulfilling them.

Just thoughts to consider.

YMMV

Best wishes to you as you embark upon your adult journey!

• Like 7

First of all, I'm a 16 (almost 17) year old guy. I'm a devout Calvinist Anglican. Women are absolutely equal to men. However, I am a very strong believer in traditional gender roles. My belief is that if a man makes enough money, the place of a married woman is in the home. As far as multiculturalism goes, I am fine with learning about different cultures. What I am against is the Progressive definition of Multiculturalism. I believe that Western culture is far superior to any other. I am a member of the John Birch Society, and a HUGE fan of Pat Buchanan. I actually visited PHC, and it was excellent. It only has 320 students.( I don't know where you got 6000 from(  The academics seemed strong, and the students were friendly. So fat, here are the collees on my list.

Patrick Henry

Hampden-Sydney

Hillsdale

New St. Andrews 

Just some more food for thought on this one, but the Proverbs 31 woman was hardly hanging about the house all day.  She clearly contributed the family's financial coffers.  I count a minimum of three jobs outside the home:  she considers and buys a field and plants a vineyard (one could presume she also made wine from its harvest); she engages in profitable trading;  and she makes and sells linen garments (sashes included!) to merchants.  I've never been sure how or when "the woman's place is in the home" became a religious doctrine.  

But back to colleges where you should find some like-minded souls--Calvin College?  Four thousand students, but it was named after John Calvin.

• Like 4

ps  Just to be clear... there's absolutely no problem if you and your future wife live the lifestyle you feel is ideal.  There are plenty of posters on this board who live similarly and enjoy it.  Their kids also grow up happy, healthy, and well-adjusted.  The only point I was making is to be certain your future wife shares your beliefs as not all Christians are designed to be at their best that way.

Then, of course, be aware that your kids may or may not be wired similarly.  God tells us to to "Train up a child in the way he should go," and that's not necessarily training up a child in the way we feel he should go.  God designs kids and their brains.  We just guide them into their future, teaching them about the world, etc.  They're predesigned with their talents, abilities, and more.  God has designed them for a niche (square peg/square hole).  As parents, we often don't really know what that niche will be, but it's fun watching them get there. ;)

• Like 3

Hi

I'm currently a Junior in high school, and I'm looking for a good classical college. Here's what I'm looking for in a college

1. Small- NO more than 2000 students

2. Classical Education- I want a college that provides a strong classical education. Use of the Great Books, study of Western Civilization.

3. Conservative( preferably Protestant)- I want a culturally conservative college with a serious student body. I want a school that has great respect for Western Culture. I want to AVOID things like Progressivism, Feminism, and Multiculturalism.

Any suggestions?

If you don't mind look at Catholic schools there are a bunch that would fit the bill on all of your other requirements.  Check out this guide: http://www.cardinalnewmansociety.org/TheNewmanGuide.aspx

What is a Calvinist Anglican? How does that differ from a Church of England Anglican or an Episcopalian? And why are you an "Angry" Bircher?

St. John's Annapolis? Certainly Classic and Western Civ  Son'r oriented and well respected. May be too liberal for you. No idea how many students.

The service academies would not meet these requirements.  Even though students sleeping in quads or occupying presidents' offices might think a service academy epitomizes all things conservative.  Service academies are currently around 25% female.  100% of those women intend to spend at least several years in the military, doing the same jobs as most of their male classmates.  The majority of their male classmates don't think twice about this.  Women have been serving on combatant ships and in combat aviation squadrons since around the time the current students were in diapers.

Have you considered looking at more mainstream colleges and being active in student or off-campus ministries?

One thing that I've observed is that schools of the type you are describing tend to have pretty high tuition and little financial aid.  

• Like 3

The service academies would not meet these requirements.  Even though students sleeping in quads or occupying presidents' offices might think a service academy epitomizes all things conservative.  Service academies are currently around 25% female.  100% of those women intend to spend at least several years in the military, doing the same jobs as most of their male classmates.  The majority of their male classmates don't think twice about this.  Women have been serving on combatant ships and in combat aviation squadrons since around the time the current students were in diapers.

Have you considered looking at more mainstream colleges and being active in student or off-campus ministries?

One thing that I've observed is that schools of the type you are describing tend to have pretty high tuition and little financial aid.  

"All things conservative" to most people doesn't include saying that a woman has a particular "place" or touting one culture as 'vastly superior' to the rest of the world. I don't think the OP is really looking for a conservative place to study. Most conservative, Christian schools won't fit the bill either. They educate women and prepare them for careers, married or not. They teach students that God loves all people, not to feel superior to the rest of the world.

I would encourage the OP to broaden his horizons and consider the idea that at maybe at 16/17 years old there might be some ideas out there that are worth at least being exposed to. It's possible you still have some things to learn and understand. 

• Like 8

Covenant College, Lookout Mountain, GA - less than 1000 students

Columbia International University, Columbia, SC - around 600 students

I can say that Covenant not only educates women (oldest found his spouse there), she's had a job since they've been married, so I doubt that's considered taboo.  Actually, some of their professors are female and I suspect they have families. They are conservative Christian-wise though.

I think they have a little over 1000 students, but definitely less than 2000.  A quick google to collegeboard tells me they have 1100.

To me, an ideal Christian husband is exactly like mine.  Before we were married he told me, "If you want to work, I'm ok with you working.  If you want to be a SAHM, I'm ok with you being a SAHM."  He's actually been that way our whole lives too - very supportive with my working full time, staying at home full time, and working part time.

He's been a great dad too - helping out with everything from diaper changes to college visits.  He will do just as much around the house as I do and never complains about helping.  Add to that, he's a second to none Engineer with great respect in his field and in the community.  None of this messes up his Christianity.  It fulfills the family/father part of it very, very well and has been a superb role model for our three sons.

• Like 4

"All things conservative" to most people doesn't include saying that a woman has a particular "place" or touting one culture as 'vastly superior' to the rest of the world. I don't think the OP is really looking for a conservative place to study. Most conservative, Christian schools won't fit the bill either. They educate women and prepare them for careers, married or not. They teach students that God loves all people, not to feel superior to the rest of the world.

I would encourage the OP to broaden his horizons and consider the idea that at maybe at 16/17 years old there might be some ideas out there that are worth at least being exposed to. It's possible you still have some things to learn and understand.

I think we are on the same page. I was trying to say that while academies may be viewed as very conservative in some circles they do not meet what the OP says he's looking for. Someone else had suggested service academies.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 1

I think we are on he same page. I was trying to say that while academies may be viewed as very conservative in some circles they do not meet what the OP says he's looking for.

Yes - absolutely. That's how I took it.  I think, and actually hope, there are very few schools that meet the OP's requirements, no matter how conservative they are viewed to be.

Edited to add... I had missed that someone has suggested service academies. 

Edited by Heather in VA
  • Like 3

There are a lot of sites that will allow you to filter colleges based on certain criteria; College Confidential is one of them. 

You can choose less than 2,000 students and conservative, and classical studies as "must haves." That would probably narrow the field quite a bit, and there are plenty of other factors you can enter as well. 

• Like 2

You can choose less than 2,000 students and conservative, and classical studies as "must haves." That would probably narrow the field quite a bit, and there are plenty of other factors you can enter as well. 

I'm not sure classics or classical studies will get AngryBircher17 what he wants. Classics or Classical Studies focuses on Greek and Roman civilization, literature and languages. I think OP might find a lot of be offended by in Greek and Roman literature and philosophy.

OP, if you're interested in working in the financial services industry, I'd look at the following programs:

Certified Financial Planner

http://www.letsmakeaplan.org/?utm_source=yahoobing

Chartered Financial Analyst

https://www.cfainstitute.org/Pages/index.aspx/

or Broker/Dealer (Finra/NASD exams)

http://www.finra.org/industry/registration-qualification

All of these require at least a BA or BS. They will be a lot easier to pass if you've studied econ, accounting, calc, stat, finance and business law. A great books education is lovely, but if you want to pass the professional qualifying exams for a career in finance a business degree is a much better start. You could also double major at a school with both a great books track and a business undergrad, but it is likely to take you 5 years unless you have dual enrollment or AP credit for a lot of basic classes. If that interests you, both UT Austin and Notre Dame offer both types of education. They won't meet your other criteria, though.

My personal experience is that I had to study for a couple of hundred hours each year for the CFA series of exams after having completed an MBA in finance. The exams are very broad and there is a lot to learn for each.

• Like 3

Edited to add... I had missed that someone has suggested service academies. 

The part of my list where I mentioned service academies was solely related to those being some of the schools more conservative students from our school like and/or attend.

Having been former military myself and a cadet at VT, I fully agree that I doubt they would fit the OP's other requirements.  I can't recall any incidents of females who could do the job being dissed due to their gender - same as males.

Some in the military have stay at home wives.  That's a personal preference just as with any other occupation.

• Like 1

The part of my list where I mentioned service academies was solely related to those being some of the schools more conservative students from our school like and/or attend.

Having been former military myself and a cadet at VT, I fully agree that I doubt they would fit the OP's other requirements.  I can't recall any incidents of females who could do the job being dissed due to their gender - same as males.

Some in the military have stay at home wives.  That's a personal preference just as with any other occupation.

Not only that but in the military women hold positions of authority. I just had lunch with a friend the other day - she's a Commander in the Navy. Something tells me the OP wouldn't appreciate being directed by a woman. 

The bottom line is that this kind of worldview doesn't just present a problem choosing a college. If this person really believes that married women belong at home and western people and culture are superior, then he's going to have a tough time in the work force or really anywhere outside the narrow circle he, and presumably his family, has created. Choosing a college is the least of the issues.

• Like 8

Not only that but in the military women hold positions of authority. I just had lunch with a friend the other day - she's a Commander in the Navy. Something tells me the OP wouldn't appreciate being directed by a woman. 

The bottom line is that this kind of worldview doesn't just present a problem choosing a college. If this person really believes that married women belong at home and western people and culture are superior, then he's going to have a tough time in the work force or really anywhere outside the narrow circle he, and presumably his family, has created. Choosing a college is the least of the issues.

I wasn't enlisted in my days.  ;)

However, I know some people (both genders) who believe married women should stay at home (at least when there are kids at home), but they know they're making that decision for their own family and are ok with others making their own decisions.  They have no problem with either gender in the workplace.

That's fine by me.  We all get to pick how we live.

I'm not as familiar with those who believe Western people and culture are superior - perhaps those who subscribe to the KKK I suppose.  Actually, wait, we did have a Skinhead at school many years ago and he felt that way quite openly.  It was pretty depressing.  Last I knew he was suspended from school for fighting and I never heard any more thereafter, so have no idea what became of him.  My in-laws would probably agree too considering they are the most racist folks I know IRL.  Fortunately, hubby and his brother (their only two kids) did NOT continue that trait.

Most people see differences in cultures and can like one better than another - or even just aspects of cultures - again - picking their own life choices, but I've never heard anyone say it's superior before.

Maybe it's because I'm not on FB and miss hearing from this type of person?

• Like 1

Liberty College should be closed-minded enough for your requirements,tho a bit too large.

I doubt it. My daughter goes there and while she's definitely on the liberal side in comparison to the average student, it still isn't nearly as close-minded as it's reputation implies and certainly not as much as the OP. Many female professors, working even though they are married, plenty of female students studying for a career not a husband, a large international population in both student and faculty from the 'inferior' parts of the world, and even their chapel services are open to people for which Liberty might not be considered a typical audience. Heck, Bernie Sanders spoke there a few months ago. 

I think he's going to end up needing to look at somewhere like Crown College or other places that are specifically created to develop the patriarchal worldview. Of course then there is the issue of accreditation. If he wants to go to law school, he isn't doing it with a degree from somewhere like that.

• Like 3

I wasn't enlisted in my days.   ;)

However, I know some people (both genders) who believe married women should stay at home (at least when there are kids at home), but they know they're making that decision for their own family and are ok with others making their own decisions.  They have no problem with either gender in the workplace.

That's fine by me.  We all get to pick how we live.

I'm not as familiar with those who believe Western people and culture are superior - perhaps those who subscribe to the KKK I suppose.  Actually, wait, we did have a Skinhead at school many years ago and he felt that way quite openly.  It was pretty depressing.  Last I knew he was suspended from school for fighting and I never heard any more thereafter, so have no idea what became of him.  My in-laws would probably agree too considering they are the most racist folks I know IRL.  Fortunately, hubby and his brother (their only two kids) did NOT continue that trait.

Most people see differences in cultures and can like one better than another - or even just aspects of cultures - again - picking their own life choices, but I've never heard anyone say it's superior before.

Maybe it's because I'm not on FB and miss hearing from this type of person?

I think the bold part is the key. Sure people can think that for their family this is the right thing. I have no issue with that. Most of us homeschool parents stay at home, not all but most. The problem I see from the OP's posts is that he is declaring married women to be at home as THE right thing, not even as something he's hoping his wife does. So I think he would have a serious problem working with women. My first thought was that I hope he never has daughters so he doesn't have the opportunity to raise women who think they have only one purpose. But then I realized that if he had sons he would raise them to believe that women only had the one purpose. So I hope he goes off to college and meets people who can show him that Christianity isn't about this kind of legalism and oppression.

As far as the superiority thing, I don't see much of that either.  I live in a very ethnically and racially diverse place. My husband and I are not the same race. The whole tone of the OP is disturbing. Usually someone isn't as willing to come out and say that he finds a particular race or culture to be superior so it makes me wonder what he thinks that he keeps closer to the vest. Of course the OP just joined WTM yesterday and this was his first post so maybe the point of the post was to rile people up. 

• Like 4

I doubt it. My daughter goes there and while she's definitely on the liberal side in comparison to the average student, it still isn't nearly as close-minded as it's reputation implies and certainly not as much as the OP. Many female professors, working even though they are married, plenty of female students studying for a career not a husband, a large international population in both student and faculty from the 'inferior' parts of the world, and even their chapel services are open to people for which Liberty might not be considered a typical audience. Heck, Bernie Sanders spoke there a few months ago. 

I think he's going to end up needing to look at somewhere like Crown College or other places that are specifically created to develop the patriarchal worldview. Of course then there is the issue of accreditation. If he wants to go to law school, he isn't doing it with a degree from somewhere like that.

Crown College in Minnesota or Crown College in  Tennessee?  From what I've heard of New St. Andrews, it seems like a perfect fit. I haven't visited yet, so I don't really know. I also really liked Hampden-Sydney. I visited the place, and it seemed like the classical Southern gentleman's school. 

Edited by AngryBircher17

Crown College in Minnesota or Crown College in  Tennessee?  From what I've heard of New St. Andrews, it seems like a perfect fit. I haven't visited yet, so I don't really know. I also really liked Hampden-Sydney. I visited the place, and it seemed like the classical Southern gentleman's school. 

I meant the one in TN. I don't know about the one in MN. At least Hampden-Sydney is regionally accredited. Neither Crown or NSA are.

Of course the OP just joined WTM yesterday and this was his first post so maybe the point of the post was to rile people up. 

That's actually my guess, but just in case...

I'm used to working with teens from all backgrounds, so try to work from any starting point.

I've never heard of New St Andrews or either Crown College.

I'm not sure Hampden Sydney works into this TBH, but if the OP likes it, go for it!  Being affiliated with the Presbyterian, USA church I expect they're fine educationally.

• Like 1

I'm not sure classics or classical studies will get AngryBircher17 what he wants. Classics or Classical Studies focuses on Greek and Roman civilization, literature and languages. I think OP might find a lot of be offended by in Greek and Roman literature and philosophy.

I agree, but he did specify classical, and most of the colleges he listed have a classical major or minor. 

• Like 2

What do you guys know about NewSt. Andrews?

This is first I heard of it.

Also, how would I go about becoming a Stockbroker, if that's what I chose to do?

Study hard. The stockbrockers I have known went to colleges at places like University of Chicago followed by an MBA from a well-known and well-respected school like Harvard or Wharton.  It is possible that your college route would lead to the end you want, but that is out of my experience range.  I'd ask colleges that interest you about alumni who have gone into stockbrokerage and then see if you can talk to the alumni about their paths.

• Like 4

You can easily work as a financial planner with a degree from a regular, accredited university. These are the types of people you can make an appointment to see in your local bank or an office of Edward Jones. If you want to work on Wall St., you'll have a better shot at it if you go to an Ivyish place. But, imho, OP wouldn't be able to stand the multiculti atmosphere of a big investment bank. But if he's just shooting for retail level financial planning, a religious but accredited school that offers finance and accounting majors in addition to liberal arts would be a good choice for him.

Angrybircher17 is, in fact, not even 17. I was pretty outspoken when I was 16, too.

OP, I would caution you that the internet is forever, so I'd moderate anything you post under your real name (on FB or Twitter). The John Birch Society might seem awesome now but it might be profoundly embarrassing when you have to go to a job interview or meet your future in-laws in 15 years.

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 7

You can easily work as a financial planner with a degree from a regular, accredited university. These are the types of people you can make an appointment to see in your local bank or an office of Edward Jones. If you want to work on Wall St., you'll have a better shot at it if you go to an Ivyish place. But, imho, OP wouldn't be able to stand the multiculti atmosphere of a big investment bank. But if he's just shooting for retail level financial planning, a religious but accredited school that offers finance and accounting majors in addition to liberal arts would be a good choice for him.

Angrybircher17 is, in fact, not even 17. I was pretty outspoken when I was 16, too.

OP, I would caution you that the internet is forever, so I'd moderate anything you post under your real name (on FB or Twitter). The John Birch Society might seem awesome now but it might be profoundly embarrassing when you have to go to a job interview or meet your future in-laws in 15 years.

Last time I checked, the Constitution still allowed freedom of association. The JBS represents my views, and what I sand for. I don't care what some crackpot Liberael thinks of it. I don't use Facebook or Twitter. They are both trash. I am more likely to go into law than finance. Patrick Henry sends students to Harvard Law every year. I just spoke to the admissions director at New St.. Andrews. One of their graduates went to Duke Law School, and one is a VP for Goldman Sachs in Dallas( he went too NSA, then attended Vanderbilts Buisness school to get his MS) NSA seems to be doinoog well.

Last time I checked, the Constitution still allowed freedom of association. The JBS represents my views, and what I sand for. I don't care what some crackpot Liberael thinks of it. I don't use Facebook or Twitter. They are both trash. I am more likely to go into law than finance. Patrick Henry sends students to Harvard Law every year. I just spoke to the admissions director at New St.. Andrews. One of their graduates went to Duke Law School, and one is a VP for Goldman Sachs in Dallas( he went too NSA, then attended Vanderbilts Buisness school to get his MS) NSA seems to be doinoog well.

They could be a good school for you.  Just be careful... I saw some female students in shorts on their homepage and their alumni page shows females with jobs.  ;)

http://www.nsa.edu/alumni/

Once you select a college, what happens afterward will be up to how you do and what kind of people skills you have.  Quite honestly, the school will only have a limited value as a name on the diploma.  I've seen students do well coming from unknown schools and students do poorly coming from highly ranked schools.  People skills count for a lot more than people think they do.

One important people skill to contemplate is not burning bridges by putting others down.  You never know.  Your values are fine for you.  We all pick our values and how we want to live.  But the Pharisees started pushing their man-made laws onto others.  Jesus had special words for them.

• Like 7

I know VP sounds like a great job title, but in investment banking it's only the second rung on the post-MBA ladder. First you're an associate, then you're a VP, then managing director, then you actually get a seriously responsible position. Here's a link that explains:

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/11635/what-investment-banking-job-titles-really-mean/

Do you know anyone in real life who is a lawyer or works in financial services? I think you would benefit from buying them a cup of coffee and running your plans by them. We can offer you some ideas but we're clearly not your peeps. I do think if you've got your heart set on a great books school, law school is a much better second step than trying to self study for the finance tests.

• Like 3

Patrick Henry

Hampden-Sydney

Hillsdale

New St. Andrews 

I was going to say New St. Andrews (beautiful area, too!).

Good luck to you. :001_smile:

What do you know about NSA?

Mostly I was answering from my familiarity with the curriculum and Statement of Faith; it seems to fit what you are looking for. 

I don't really know a whole lot personally.  A woman at my church went there.  After graduation she taught at a classical elementary school until she married and had children.  From that enormous sample of one, I can conclude that NSA graduates are lovely, gracious, and well-educated. ;)

• Like 1

Of course the OP just joined WTM yesterday and this was his first post so maybe the point of the post was to rile people up. 

I think many of us must wonder if it is "real" or trolling to get people riled up. But there are probably other people who would be wanting what OP says he (or she, who knows in the world of the internet what anyone actually is), wants and perhaps not be so bold in saying it.

60 years or so ago the combo of conservative, protestant, small, Western civ oriented, classics oriented, male only, and holding the ideal that married women stay in the home, would still not probably have been so hard to find. 

As it was, I found looking up some of the places I'd never heard of rather interesting. 

I previously reported knowing nothing about NSW. I now know a bit more, including having read these:

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/ngier/nsasins.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Saint_Andrews_College

Other than the reference to a student writing a thesis on Buddhism, which sounds too multicultural for AngryBircher17, it does sound like it would probably be a good fit with what he says he is looking for.

Anyway, I am sure the thread has been great practice for all of us in not getting riled up. With a teenage boy of my own coming close to that same age and liking to say and do provocative things, it is nice to have practice with someone where it is not so close to home.

I am trying to figure out how I'd be responding if it were my own kid, and I don't think I'd be able to be so calm and accepting!

• Like 6