Menu

Would anyone like to share what they are planning for 5th grade?

Mom2Five

Here is what I have so far-

Math- Saxon 6/5

Language Arts- Abeka Language B

Handwriting- a cursive workbook that hasn't been picked yet.

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

Spelling- This one is a natural speller so I haven't decided if I'm going to use a curriculum or not. If I do, either Abeka or I will pull from How to Teach Spelling.

History- Early American literature based that I'm piecing together myself.

Literature-books that haven't been picked yet.

Writing- Writing and Rhetoric

Foreign Language- Hebrew

Science- Whatever Apologia text she chooses. She may still be on Land Animals since I haven't ordered it yet for this year. Oops.

Bible- Missionaries, memory verses, and still thinking..

This is what we're currently doing for 5th

- Latin: BBoLL 1 (whole book)

- Math: SM 5 (and BA 5A)

- Language Arts: MCT Grammar Town, Practice Town, Paragraph Town, Killgallon

W&R 2, 3

Co-op lit class

Poetry/Scripture Memorization

-History: SOTW last 1/4 of 2 and first half of 3

-Science: RSO Biology 2 (for text, labs at co-op)

Science Olympiad

Also our morning basket, which includes poet study, artist study, composer study, biographies, vocabulary, Building Poems, devotional, anything I feel like sharing with them...

• 1 month later...

Math- Saxon 6/5

Spelling- This one is a natural speller so I haven't decided if I'm going to use a curriculum or not. If I do, either Abeka or I will pull from How to Teach Spelling.

Foreign Language- Hebrew

Science- Whatever Apologia text she chooses. She may still be on Land Animals since I haven't ordered it yet for this year. Oops.

What are you using for Hebrew?

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest (aspie) will be a senior this year in virtual school, hoping to get him a part time job and continue working on his life skills.  My middle son (upcoming 9th grader) is going to a two day a week prep school for home-schooled students.  He is my social butterfly and hates being home with his brothers all week.  Though he will be home the rest of the time most of his curricula will be through the "school", I'll be making sure he does his assignments but won't be teaching as much... that leaves just my 10 year old upcoming fifth grader for me to plan. I'm excited but it's a big change!

- Beast Academy 4 and Singapore 4 (alternating days)

- LfC Primer B w/ activity book

- CAP Writing and Rhetoric Books II & III

- Logic Liftoff 2x per week

- Trying to decide between History Odyssey Medieval Level 2 -or- staying with Wayfarers and doing Medieval but this child is the only one I'm "teaching" so not sure if I want to spring for Wayfarers

- Science...will depend on the Wayfarers because I liked how their science was done through living books but need more focus to do those labs  (considering Elemental Science, RSO and RS4K)

- Music - continue with SQUILT for classical studies and probably learn to read music and play the recorder, Hymn study CM style 

- Bible - Long Story Short con't from this year

- Literature - History/Geography selections through History Odyssey or Wayfarers with add'l library books

Hoping to find a CM style co-op for activities with other kids. Not sure what I am forgetting!

I'm still being wishy-washy on a few things, but as of right now, here's what I'm planning.

Saxon Grammar & Writing 5

Wordsmith Apprentice

Maybe a poetry unit?

Rod & Staff Spelling 5

Free online typing

CLE math 5

NOEO Physics 2

Notgrass America the Beautiful

Continue Latin for Children A (this fell by the wayside this year)

Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Possibly Critical Thinking Skills Book 2, if I can find it used

Piano/voice lessons

Gymnastics (or possibly tennis lessons)

Co-op

Lana

Math- Saxon 6/5

Foreign Language- Hebrew

How do you like using A Beka Language?  We have been using MCT for my oldest, but I don't think it will be a good fit for my second child.  I remember it being very thorough with lots of review from my days in the program, but I also credit it for giving me a strong understanding of grammar.  I also remember diagramming frequently, which is not in several programs nowadays.  Anyways, this is sort of OT, but I am curious to your opinion on the A Beka grammar materials.  I would stick with Writing and Rhetoric for writing, as I see you are also doing.

For DD age 10

Math- Either Saxon 6/5 or MM 5
English/History/Art/ - Build your Library year 5
Science - Elemental Science Biology for Logic Stage (maybe)
Spelling- undecided,  she needs something though
Music - Piano

Edited by sarahni
  • Like 1

DD10 5th grade

Math Jacobs Algebra veritas press, CwP 6, problem solving genius, AMC8 prep books

Grammar MCT town level and hake 6

Spelling Phonetic Zoo C and rod and staff Spelling 6

Vocabulary english from roots up

Literature: Veritas press literature 6 online class

Writing: Cover story, Outlling and dictation

Science: Ellen Mchenry and quark chronicles and hands on science In coop

Art and music appreciation in coop, she wants to learn guitar. Maybe find a private teacher

History Bookshark 6 and lots of documentaries

Other

Competetive figure skater and on ice for 12 hours per week and off ice sessions 4 hours per week

Acting lessons once a week

Phew!!!! And this is our first year and might start in summer and take it slowly

CAP French and Latin

Edited by mom2vikha

How do you like using A Beka Language? We have been using MCT for my oldest, but I don't think it will be a good fit for my second child. I remember it being very thorough with lots of review from my days in the program, but I also credit it for giving me a strong understanding of grammar. I also remember diagramming frequently, which is not in several programs nowadays. Anyways, this is sort of OT, but I am curious to your opinion on the A Beka grammar materials. I would stick with Writing and Rhetoric for writing, as I see you are also doing.

We're currently using abeka Language A for fourth grade. We've used abeka language arts since k5. I would say that you remember it correctly. It's a solid program with explicit instruction and quite a bit of review. I like it well enough, but we are going to try Rod & Staff next year instead of Language B. We have no complaints about abeka, but I've branched off for literature, spelling, and writing at this point and it didn't make sense to continue with abeka for just language/grammar.

I also had several recommendations for Analytical Grammar when I was asking here. It might be worth looking into as well.

• Like 1

Sort of final...

Rod and staff spelling 5

WWS 1 slowly

CLE 400-500 (we are midway through 400 now) only the grammar, crossing off everything else

Copywork (cursive) based on memory work

Horizons 4-5

Mystery of history volume 1

Science is so far two MBTP units (will add others)

Literature through coop, will definitely add more probably based on Sonlight or ambleside.

Duolingo Spanish?

5 th grade sounds so mature.... Seems like just yesterday we were doing 1st grade....

This is my current plan:

Grammar: Jr. Analytical Grammar and Fix-It  (still not sure how that will work out)

Writing:  IEW SICC-A

Spelling: continue All about Spelling

Reading: read good books, discuss books occasionally and fill out story chart from Teaching the Classics

Math: Math in Focus 5A/5B and Prodigy

Latin:  Latin for Children Primer A

Logic: Reasoning and Reading 1, Logic Liftoff, and possibly something else

Science:  AIG's God's Design for Life

History:  mix of OUP's World in Ancient Times and Human Odyssey's Ancients book

Geography: Map Trek to correlate with history plus co-op class

Typing: type papers and if I get around to it they will actually do typing instructor like I plan

Piano: continue Hoffman Academy

Artist study: still working on this. conflicted on tying it to the history versus mixing it up. Opinions??

Art:  Artistic Pursuits Grades 4-6 Book 1

I think my dd will be doing a Chronicles of Narnia study along with the 2nd 1/2 of US history including WWI and WWII studies with a European focus.

Horizons 5 along with HOE

Writing via my homemade style similar to a continuation of TC.

Interest-led science

Maybe some French with her big sister

I posted in another 5th grade planning thread, but I've changed some things so I'll post again here.

Math:  Maybe MM5 and Dreambox.  Ds likes McRuffy but I'm tired of the typos and I want something more conceptual.  We'll see.

LA:  Outlining/narration/dictation, TC part 3

Spelling Workout F and G

Fix it Grammar

Assigned reading and LOTS of discussion, using some of CHOLL ancients and some of DITHOR 4/5

History:  WTM-style Ancients

Science:  Interest led

Logic:  Building Thinking Skills

Some type of typing

Morning Group Time:  A little creative writing, picture book go-alongs with history and geography, some picture study, whatever else I want to throw in.

We do Long Story Short for Bible study when dh is home after dinner

Rylee (just turned 10) will be starting her 5th grade year in June. She spends 28 hours/week in the gym and is constantly flipping everywhere and walking around on her hands. LOL! 

Note-taking and chapter outlining to be incorporated throughout many classes

MATH: She's anxious to start AoPS Pre-Algebra (her goal: start beginning of 6th grade year)

• Abeka (finish 5th grade; move to 6th)
  • Math Mammoth 5B (6A; 6B)
  • Hands on Equations; Challenging Word Problems; Zaccaro Challenging Math; CTC Balance Benders

LANGUAGE

• Abeka Grammar & Composition (7); Analytical Grammar
  • Abeka Literature (Of People)
  • Literature Book Basket (still coming up with list... will include assortment of non-fiction, award winners, classics) for book reports, projects and to use with study guides
  • Copywork (cursive... bible verses, history facts, presidents, etc...)
  • Writing With Skill 1
  • English From the Roots Up
  • Using Scripps National Spelling Bee word lists along with additional books for more word lists + rules & exceptions

SCIENCE

• Apologia General Science
  • 2 Science Projects (her choice)
  • Book Basket: Inventors; Science Encyclopedias; Various Science Books

HEALTH

• Abeka 5th Grade

HISTORY

• Notgrass America The Beautiful
  • Book Basket: Famous People; Non-Fiction to go along with time period being studied

CIVICS & GOVERNMENT

• Notgrass Uncle Sam and You
  • Book Basket: Presidents

GEOGRAPHY

• Homemade study (includes locations; how to read maps/symbols, current events, memorizing all capital cities of all major countries, physical geography, climate graphs, etc...)

FOREIGN LANGUAGE

• Latin Prep 2
  • Getting Started with Spanish

ART/MUSIC/POETRY

• Atelier Art
  • Piano Lessons/Voice Lessons (with me)
  • Art of Poetry; EM Read & Understand Poetry
  • Artist/Composer/Poet Studies

BIBLE

• Discover 4 Yourself

COMPUTERS

• Typing - speed/efficiency

CRITICAL THINKING/LOGIC

• Building Thinking Skills
  • Dr. Funsters Think a Minutes
  • Mind Benders
  • Red Herring Mysteries
  • Lots of games

ADDITIONAL

• Coding (scratch); Robotics; Bridges/Tunnels; Photography + Movie Making; Calligraphy; Cooking/Baking

PE

• Gymnastics (L8)
  • Tumbling (Advanced)
  • With me: Run; Strength training/circuits (CrossFit inspired); Yoga/Flexibility
  • Swimming at the Y (homeschool class)
  • Learn rules of various sports/games; Study 2 athletes (her choice) and write a short report to share with the rest of us
Edited by raisingthefab4

I think my dd will be doing a Chronicles of Narnia study along with the 2nd 1/2 of US history including WWI and WWII studies with a European focus.

Interest-led science

I have thought about doing a Narnia study either this year or next. Just curious how you plan on doing it? Are you planning on reading the books out loud, or having it as assigned silent reading? Are you planning on using other books with it? Sorry I have heard of other people doing this, and it sounds really neat, I just would have no idea where to start. :)

DD started 5/6th ish in January this year. Here's what we're doing:

Math: Beast academy 4D and whatever 5s are released.

Life of Fred preA series.

Mathematics a human endeavour

La: poetry with classical writing (sort of)

Slow reading, narrating and copyworking A Midsummer night's dream

MCT voyage

R&s spelling

Lots of reading

History: Diana Waring's RRR, the last half (we started last year)

Plague! From rfwp.

Writing and outlining her readings.

Science: units from bfsu2 and astronomy

Nature journal.

Languages: Rosetta stone Russian

Latin, finished gswl, doing fabulae ceciliae (rfwp) then Henle.

Art: virtual instructor and misc.

Logic: fallacy detective.

Violin lessons. PE with family (frisbee, cricket, bike riding, swimming, tennis, ftf...)

<p>Rylee (just turned 10) will be starting her 5th grade year in June. She spends 28 hours/week in the gym and is constantly flipping everywhere and walking around on her hands. LOL! Note-taking and chapter outlining to be incorporated throughout many classesMATH: She's anxious to start AoPS Pre-Algebra (her goal: start beginning of 6th grade year)

• Abeka (finish 5th grade; move to 6th)
  • Math Mammoth 5B (6A; 6B)
  • Hands on Equations; Challenging Word Problems; Zaccaro Challenging Math; CTC Balance Benders
LANGUAGE
  • Abeka Grammar & Composition (7); Analytical Grammar
  • Abeka Literature (Of People)
  • Literature Book Basket (still coming up with list... will include assortment of non-fiction, award winners, classics) for book reports, projects and to use with study guides
  • Copywork (cursive... bible verses, history facts, presidents, etc...)
  • Writing With Skill 1
  • English From the Roots Up
  • Using Scripps National Spelling Bee word lists along with additional books for more word lists + rules & exceptions
SCIENCE
  • Apologia General Science
  • 2 Science Projects (her choice)
  • Book Basket: Inventors; Science Encyclopedias; Various Science Books
HEALTH
  • Abeka 5th Grade
HISTORY
  • Notgrass America The Beautiful
  • Book Basket: Famous People; Non-Fiction to go along with time period being studied
CIVICS & GOVERNMENT
  • Notgrass Uncle Sam and You
  • Book Basket: Presidents
GEOGRAPHY
  • Homemade study (includes locations; how to read maps/symbols, current events, memorizing all capital cities of all major countries, physical geography, climate graphs, etc...)
FOREIGN LANGUAGE
  • Latin Prep 2
  • Getting Started with Spanish
ART/MUSIC/POETRY
  • Atelier Art
  • Piano Lessons/Voice Lessons (with me)
  • Art of Poetry; EM Read & Understand Poetry
  • Artist/Composer/Poet Studies
BIBLE
  • Discover 4 Yourself
COMPUTERS
  • Typing - speed/efficiency
CRITICAL THINKING/LOGIC
  • Building Thinking Skills
  • Dr. Funsters Think a Minutes
  • Mind Benders
  • Red Herring Mysteries
  • Lots of games
ADDITIONAL
  • Coding (scratch); Robotics; Bridges/Tunnels; Photography + Movie Making; Calligraphy; Cooking/Baking
PE
  • Gymnastics (L8)
  • Tumbling (Advanced)
  • With me: Run; Strength training/circuits (CrossFit inspired); Yoga/Flexibility
  • Swimming at the Y (homeschool class)
  • Learn rules of various sports/games; Study 2 athletes (her choice) and write a short report to share with the rest of us

She spends 28 hours weekly in the gym AND does all of this? Good grief, does she sleep and eat? It exhausts me just reading it! :)

Edited by PentecostalMom
  • Like 1

Interest-led science

Curious about this as well. One of mine loves Narnia.

I have thought about doing a Narnia study either this year or next. Just curious how you plan on doing it? Are you planning on reading the books out loud, or having it as assigned silent reading? Are you planning on using other books with it? Sorry I have heard of other people doing this, and it sounds really neat, I just would have no idea where to start. :)

Curious about this as well. One of mine loves Narnia.

Ugh, you now get the condensed answer bc my first response was just eaten when I switched pages to add links.

I did this study several yrs ago when my older daughters were younger. We loved it. I tried to find a link where I described what we did, but Imcouldnt find one of mine. I did find other posters' posts that you might find helpful.

I very loosely used Further Up and Further In. (Swimmermom3 describes it here http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/179098-favorite-lit-anaylsis-for-the-lion-the-witch-and-the-wardrobe/?p=1725982 ). I do find FUFI limited in perspective. I will refrain from calling Narnia an allegory since Lewis himself didn't use that term, but Narnia most definitely is Christian. Some incredibly obvious allusions are ignored, probably bc the author disagrees philosophically or theologically with ideas or perhaps it is simple lack of awareness. Anyway, FUFI provided a framework that I could look through and accept, reject, and expand on.

Silvermoon shares some ideas here: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/501428-talk-to-me-about-further-up-and-further-in/

Michael Ward is a great source on Lewis. I will be reading and planning our studies this summer and using a couple of his books for me to re-educate myself. http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Narnia-Seven-Heavens-Imagination/dp/019973870X/?tag=ththve-20

I am going to be doing a lot of reading aloud. We will be doing the 2nd 1/2 of American history and will definitely incorporate a WW2 study tying into England and the transportation of children to rural area.

• Like 1

I'll jump in!

We're finishing up our school year on Tuesday, and I've already got SO much stuff sitting and ready to re-fill the shelves for next year lol... My middle kid is going into 5th!  Crazy!  :D

Grammar: Language Lessons for the Secondary Child, Volume 1 + Elementary Diagramming Worktext

Writing: CAP Narrative II and Chreia & Proverb

Reading/Lit: pulled from TWTM and also other 'good' books that I think he'd enjoy (even though he won't admit it - this kid swears up and down that he hates reading, but he does it daily anyway)

History: WTM 5th grade history

Latin: Latina Christiana II

Logic: Mind Benders

Math: MUS Epsilon

Science: Galore Park Science Year 5

Bible: probably a couple Bible studies from Queen homeschool - he did two this past year and liked them.

That's pretty much it.  I don't plan out extracurriculars - they play what they want to when sports season comes around and I'm the activities coordinator for local homeschoolers, so they have plenty to do lol.  That'll all come into place later.