Menu

Windows 10 Is Now a "Recommended Update" That's Automatically Downloaded

Amy in NH

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-is-now-a-recommended-update-thats-automati-1756691457?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_facebook&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Apparently this will download if you have your Automatic Windows Updates turned on at all?  Even if you set your updates to ask you first, it will still install whether you like it or not.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 1

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/306525

At least so far, turning off recommended updates should prevent it. We just got a window 7 box from DH's company for DD which Dell explicitly states has not ever been tested and is unlikely to run Windows 10 at all-but still gets the nagging, so we turned off ALL automatic updates. DH's company does not use Windows 10, and told all their employees to do this as well. It was most of the e-mail today.

• Like 3

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/306525

At least so far, turning off recommended updates should prevent it. We just got a window 7 box from DH's company for DD which Dell explicitly states has not ever been tested and is unlikely to run Windows 10 at all-but still gets the nagging, so we turned off ALL automatic updates. DH's company does not use Windows 10, and told all their employees to do this as well. It was most of the e-mail today.

Thanks!  Off to go read...

To shut off Windows Updates:

Go to the Start Menu

Click on All Programs

Go to Windows Update

Click on Change Settings

Choose Never Check for Updates

According to the Windows privacy statement online, even if you choose "Check for Updates and Let Me Choose Whether to Download or Update" it will install Windows 10, so you have to choose "Never Check for Updates".

I read somewhere that you can force it to check for updates, then Hide the Windows 10 update without installing it.  I tried that on our music server and the Windows 10 update didn't show up.  Maybe in a few days?

• Like 3

I read somewhere that you can force it to check for updates, then Hide the Windows 10 update without installing it.  I tried that on our music server and the Windows 10 update didn't show up.  Maybe in a few days?

Yes under Windows Updates you can check for updates, then select which only the ones you want to DL.

We have liked Windows 10 and are a Mac family. But we run it in Parallels.

Honestly the security issues with running older versions and not downloading the updates are too great for us to undertake. But really, I hate Windows and only use it when I absolutely have to for school - Windows 10 is still quite a good little OS.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have Windows Update set to do all of the Security and Stability updates.  I hope that DOES NOT include Windows 10.  Planning to use Windows 7 on the boxes we have with it, until Microsoft ends Support for it, which I believe will be during January 2020. And DDs Windows 8.1 laptop will have Support until January 2023 as I recall.  I hope Microsoft continues to Support Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 as they have stated in the recent past...

The Enterprise (Corporate) and Government customers of Microsoft will be VERY UNHAPPY if Microsoft pushes them into Windows 10.  The Dell Enterprise laptops we have are not supported for Windows 10 and we don't want Windows 10.  My wife upgrade her older laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10, many months ago, and there were some things she liked about it, but in the end she had me nuke that installation and do a "Clean" installation of Windows 7.  She has Windows 7 on both of her laptops, I have it on both of my laptops and DD has it on her Micro Tower PC.  DDs laptop came with Windows 8.1, which we were afraid of, but the hardware configuration and the price were great so we  ordered it.  I read up on Windows 8.1 before it arrived from the states, configured it properly during the OOBE (Out of Box Experience or first boot of the OS) and DD has not had any issues, using Windows 8.1    :hurray:

Lanny, I agree-disable those updates now. From what we've found, and what DH's hardware folks at work are saying, right now Windows 10 could be pushed out even to systems that don't meet the technical specifications for it. And you may or may not be able to downgrade and license the earlier version.

There's a lot fear mongering going on, but there's also enough truth to it to make it a good strategy to disable updates, go in weekly or so, read the MSKB articles to see what each includes, and add it manually. In our case, we'll probably piggy back on what the ITG folks at DH's company do, because it's their job to do stuff like that.

I have mine set to:

-Install Important updates automatically.

-Don't do Recommended updates.  The Win10 is a Recommended, not Important, update.

-Don't do Microsoft programs.

Whether or not it's a good OS, DH's CAD program that he uses for work has specifically told them NOT to update to Win10 yet, as they aren't ready for it.  Since he works from home sometimes, that means our computers also don't want Win10 yet.