Menu

What did you give your 18 year old dd for her birthday?

Prairie~Phlox

What does she like to do?

Read?

Watch?

What is something that she's always wanted to try?

What is something you think that she'd like?

What is something that she always wanted but that you guys have never allowed/given?

What does she want to do after HS or College?

A hope chest. I searched junktique shops for weeks and found a beautiful wooden chest, and my husband and I collected an assortment of new and used household goodies to put in it. She is 23 now, and I think it is still her favorite gift ever. She has really enjoyed using the items in it, too!

• Like 2

We celebrated with a family (just us) dinner at a very fancy restaurant downtown.  The tab was about $250 for the four of us.  It was definitely a once in a lifetime birthday.

For her 16th bday, we gave her 16 gifts. Each gift was numbered.  She began at #16 and went down.  Each gift had that many of whatever item it was, for example, a package of 16 mini donuts, a $15 gift card, 14 hair bands, 6 pairs of sock, 4 shirts, 2 pairs of earrings, and 1 $50 bill.  It was really fun, and it can easily be adjusted to suit any age. Actually, I got the idea on these boards!

• Like 4

Are you looking for a memorable gift or just a birthday gift in general?

For dd17 I took her to Ulta (makeup store) and bought her 5 premium pieces of make up. We haven't hit 18 yet, so I don't know what her gift will be.

What goes in a hope chest? I love the idea, but struggle with modern implementation.

As stated by other posters, nice linens, good towels, throw blankets, basically household items that any person might need.

Once it's in the recipients home, it's great for holding blankets and pillows. A family member got my great-grandmother's hope chest and I enjoy seeing it when I visit.

• Like 1

My parents got me a wooden cane with a brass duck head as a handle. I am not/was not lame.

Don't be like my parents. Whatever you do, no canes. :/

If she loves jewelry, then real jewelry is nice.

If she wouldn't want to pick out her own stuff, then the hope chest is nice (but some kids would really want to pick out their own stuff.)

If she needs expensive electronics, then that.

I was a pretty independent type of person at that age. I was aching to grow up and be my own person. I would have loved it if my parents got me tickets to some sort of event, like a play or comedy show---two tickets. One for me and one for my best friend. And then I could have felt all grown up going out to an event with a peer. It would have been a nod to my adulthood--that my gift was something I did alone with a friend.

• Like 2

I have three girls, two of which have already passed their 18th birthday.  For each girl I have given them 18 presents.  Please understand, normally we aren't the type of people who give a ton of presents "just because", but when my oldest turned 18 I had a number of little things to give her and decided to go all out and make it 18 total.  There is one big present [for one girl it was a digital camera] and the rest are little things.  All girls love Disney, so each of them have [or will] receive a Mickey Graduation cap. One is a dancer, so I included a sewing kit, ribbons and air freshener amongst her presents.

From their Grandmother, each receives a cedar chest.  My parents give them stock.

She has a laptop & iphone already, laptop she bought for community college this past summer, iphone is hand me down when dh upgraded. I was thinking a nice ring, but I need to ask her if it's something that she would like.

She likes to read, likes plants, she works at a greenhouse

What about a trip?  Five days in London would be so memorable for a family. 

My parents got me a wooden cane with a brass duck head as a handle. I am not/was not lame.

Don't be like my parents. Whatever you do, no canes. :/

That is too weird and too funny.  I just don't understand the thought process behind that ...

I was a pretty independent type of person at that age. I was aching to grow up and be my own person. I would have loved it if my parents got me tickets to some sort of event, like a play or comedy show---two tickets. One for me and one for my best friend. And then I could have felt all grown up going out to an event with a peer. It would have been a nod to my adulthood--that my gift was something I did alone with a friend.

This is such a splendid idea.  I like the idea of doing something like this at 16 even.  Here's the car keys and here's some tickets to a play.  Go and have fun.  :)

Someone's comment reminded me that I made a shadow box for dd's birthday. It included a baby outfit she wore, her hospital bracelet, a favorite pacificer, a newborn knit hat, etc.  I decorated it with scrapbooking-type baby sticker/doodads.  It is on her bedroom wall.

I wanted 18 to be special, unique, not the usual stuff she might get for any other birthday.

They both got a countdown to 18 type thing.  

State girl got a true count down 18 sets of 18-17-16-.... until down to 1 gift.  It was little things pens, pencils, push pins, etc.  Things she would need later at college.  The 1 was the big gift - a bracelet from Tiffany's.  

Campbell girl got 18 little things related to symbols - compass so she would know where she was going, duct tape because it fixes everything, yarn because a cord of three strands is not easily broken, etc.  Her last gift was a Dooney and Burke purse.

They both picked out what that last gift was.  I like the second 18 count better and I thought I had it right here but I can't find it now.  But I did ask you guys for ideas.

Actually I asked you for ideas and then how to pair it down to 18:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/547843-18th-birthday-gift-ready-to-go-but/

When ours turned 18, we gave gifts that symbolized blessings. I can't remember everything, but a few things were:

journal - to write your own story

compass - to find your way

chocolate - for life to be sweet

steampunk skeleton keys - to unlock doors

flashlight - to always have light

We got our most recently turned 18 year old an ipad mini and case, because she was planning to spend the following year abroad and traveling a lot, and it seemed like something that could serve multiple purposes... Mostly, keeping in touch with us. 😄 We got another daughter a very nice high quality backpack. The kind you use instead of a suitcase, for traveling. When I turned 18, I got a nice set of luggage. I had it for many years!