Menu

New Math Book from Peace Hill Press!

Justin from WTM

Hello all,

Peace Hill Press is excited to enter the world of math books, with "Preschool Math at Home: Simple Activities to Build the Best Possible Foundation for Your Child," by Kate Snow, of the "Kate's Homeschool Math Help" blog. It is now available in paperback or as a PDF, for a special introductory price.

Check it out!

Justin from Peace Hill Press

The copyright page says it's from Well-Trained Mind Press! Are y'all changing your name?

Shhh...don't tell anybody yet. But yes. Since our books all follow the methods described in The Well-Trained Mind, the new name makes the connection between our curricula and the WTM book itself a lot clearer. Nothing else has changed except for the name. Over the next few months we’ll be working on changing the website, our mailing address, and other places where Peace Hill Press appears over to Well-Trained Mind Press, but this won’t affect our operations at all.

Shhh...don't tell anybody yet. But yes. Since our books all follow the methods described in The Well-Trained Mind, the new name makes the connection between our curricula and the WTM book itself a lot clearer. Nothing else has changed except for the name. Over the next few months we’ll be working on changing the website, our mailing address, and other places where Peace Hill Press appears over to Well-Trained Mind Press, but this won’t affect our operations at all.

I understand the change--makes perfect sense.

But Peace Hill Press is so much...prettier. :leaving:

Congrats on entering a new "realm," with the math program. I'm going to check it out and see if I can use it in my preschool classroom. :001_smile:

• Like 4

I understand the change--makes perfect sense.

But Peace Hill Press is so much...prettier. :leaving:

Congrats on entering a new "realm," with the math program. I'm going to check it out and see if I can use it in my preschool classroom. :001_smile:

Chris,

Thanks. Love the emoji, by the way!

Yes, it was a tough decision...Peace Hill Press has a lovely ring to it, but people often don't associate the name with the products. We wanted a more direct connection, though we may still incorporate the Peace Hill Press name/phrase into our materials in some way.

Justin

Quick question. Just to clarify....in my neck of the woods preschool is 3 years old and Kindergarten is 4. What age range is this book geared to?

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

Yes, "preschool" can mean quite a range of ages. And even kids of the same age can vary so much in their interest and readiness! 

I recommend starting with the book whenever your child begins to become curious about numbers and counting. For many children, that is often right around when they turn 4. But the activities are also simple and playful enough for an interested 3-year-old. 

• Like 1

Kate -- Do you have any suggestions for transitioning from the previous version of your book to the new one?  My 4-year-old is just beginning Chapter 5 (Combinations That Make Ten).  He has not had any trouble with the concepts, and actually seems about ready to be done and get on to RS Level A.  I am wondering if I should just let him finish up his old book (and save your new one for my next preschooler), or if it is worthwhile to do some of the new material with him.  

• Like 1

Kate -- Do you have any suggestions for transitioning from the previous version of your book to the new one?  My 4-year-old is just beginning Chapter 5 (Combinations That Make Ten).  He has not had any trouble with the concepts, and actually seems about ready to be done and get on to RS Level A.  I am wondering if I should just let him finish up his old book (and save your new one for my next preschooler), or if it is worthwhile to do some of the new material with him.  

The new edition amplifies and rearranges a lot of the material from the first edition, but it also adds a gentle introduction to addition and subtraction in Chapter 7. Finishing up the old edition will probably be plenty for preparing him for RS A. But, if he struggles at all with RightStart's introduction to addition and subtraction, you can always go back to Chapter 7 of the new edition and use that to build his understanding of the operations before moving forward.  

• Like 2

The new edition amplifies and rearranges a lot of the material from the first edition, but it also adds a gentle introduction to addition and subtraction in Chapter 7. Finishing up the old edition will probably be plenty for preparing him for RS A. But, if he struggles at all with RightStart's introduction to addition and subtraction, you can always go back to Chapter 7 of the new edition and use that to build his understanding of the operations before moving forward.  

Thanks!  It looks like there is some new fun and games in the new edition, so we might go back and play them anyway.  Chapter 7 could also be worthwhile for him.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if any of the activities in this book would be doable with a just turned 2 year old? My daughter loves numbers/counting and can rote count to 20, understands and counts using one to one correspondence (usually just small groups, like under 5, but she does always ask to count the eggs during bfast and has made it to 12), knows shapes, recognizes some numbers (look mom, there's a 7) completes simple puzzles etc. However she is still very much a 2 year old in spirit :) most prek math  programs I've seen are beyond her level and are mostly worksheets. I'd love to just have some games to play with her. Thanks!

Does anyone know if any of the activities in this book would be doable with a just turned 2 year old? My daughter loves numbers/counting and can rote count to 20, understands and counts using one to one correspondence (usually just small groups, like under 5, but she does always ask to count the eggs during bfast and has made it to 12), knows shapes, recognizes some numbers (look mom, there's a 7) completes simple puzzles etc. However she is still very much a 2 year old in spirit :) most prek math  programs I've seen are beyond her level and are mostly worksheets. I'd love to just have some games to play with her. Thanks!

The activities in the book are all playful and hands-on, without any worksheets or writing, so no concerns there. If she's already enjoying numbers to that degree, she'd probably love the activities in the book a lot and be ready to benefit from them. Of course, she'll likely move through them at a slower pace than a 4-year-old would...but that's fine, since she has plenty of time! :)  

• Like 1

The activities in the book are all playful and hands-on, without any worksheets or writing, so no concerns there. If she's already enjoying numbers to that degree, she'd probably love the activities in the book a lot and be ready to benefit from them. Of course, she'll likely move through them at a slower pace than a 4-year-old would...but that's fine, since she has plenty of time! :)

Thanks for the reply. I'm in a bit over my head with her, she is very different from my other kids :) I certainly don't want to "do school" with a 2-year-old, but I also want to keep her entertained and don't want to hold her back. I think this might be the answer, and if all else fails, I'll just shelve it for a year or so. Thanks again for the assistance!

• Like 2