Menu

Bible translations help...

StaceyinLA

I have a couple different translations, but am interested in buying a Bible for journaling and want opinions on which translations are considered better and why. I'm talking about other than KJV (I have one of those, but for reading, I just get so wrapped up in the way it sounds, I don't concentrate). I don't want it oversimplified to the point of sounding like it's directed to a child, but something understandable that will still sound nice if I journal the scriptures.

Any suggestions?

The KJV and Geneva are derived from a different text than all of the modern translations, but the NASB draws from both. The NASB was my first Bible, so I'm biased, but if you don't want the KJV I think the NASB is the best. I think it's clear but not boring.

• Like 3

I think NASB reads pretty well. The ESV is my fave for a balance of readability and technicality in the language. And if you're looking for just the sound of it you may actually like the NIV for that. It is nice and smooth, if not a word for word translation.

They all have their uses but those are my three picks generally speaking.

ESV is a better study bible

NIV sounds beautiful, it's wording is well done.

I chose an ESV because I knew my journalling bible would also be my primary study bible, but if it was just for journalling and I knew I could easily read others I'd definitely go NIV

I did read some scriptures in each version, so I know what I like the sound of, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily an accurate translation. Since I feel like I will study more from the one I am journaling in, I want to be sure I'm maintaining integrity of scripture.

Of course, I have a KJV, and, as I said, I tend to not read it much because I get caught up in the language, so I guess it really isn't doing me any good.

• Like 2

This web page has a chart (Comparing Bible Translations) comparing different translations from word-for-word to thought-to-thought to paraphrase.

My opinion for myself is, I want a more literal word-for-word translation because I believe God inspired the very words that were written in the original manuscripts. I do consult some of the other types of translation when I study, but for everyday reading, I  go to word-for-word.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Bought this one. The NASB was a double column and didn't have as wide a margin for journaling.

I think I will be pleased with this for my journaling, but may get an NASB for additional reading/studying.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 2

http://www.apbrown2.net/web/TranslationComparisonChart.htm

I see you already choose, but I went looking and found a chart with reading level, so I wanted to post in case anyone else had a question as well.  (below middle of the page)

The first Bible study I did as an adult used NIV so that's what I used.  I got so used to it.  Now I read the ESV daily.  There are times I notice the wording as different, sometimes it's better/clearer.  Sometimes not.

Bought this one. The NASB was a double column and didn't have as wide a margin for journaling.

I think I will be pleased with this for my journaling, but may get an NASB for additional reading/studying.

I thought that might be better because of the thick pages.

• Like 1

I actually read some of the reviews that said the pages didn't get a lot of bleed-thru so that was nice. There were complaints about text size, but since I wear readers anyway, I'm hoping that won't be a big issue for me.

I just ordered some supplies and I'm really excited!! Even though I am not crafty at ALL (I enjoy crafts but am not really good at them), I think this will encourage me to study my Bible more; one of my goals for 2016.

• Like 2

The KJV and Geneva are derived from a different text than all of the modern translations, but the NASB draws from both. The NASB was my first Bible, so I'm biased, but if you don't want the KJV I think the NASB is the best. I think it's clear but not boring.

I grew up with just the KJV, and still prefer it for memorizing. But the NASB is a close second and the Bible I study from the most.]

I believe ESV is what my husband uses. (it is that or RSV. One I had never heard of until I met him)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1