Menu

Athenaze (self teach) schedule?

Those schedules look good.  My daughter is using Athanaze with the Lukeion Project.  I know the teacher adds to it though.  If you want any more information, yet me know and I can ask her what she thinks.  Right now, she's finishing up book 2 of Athanaze.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Yes, I'm interested.

We can't use Lukeion for several reasons.

Dd Did Elementary Greek in 2015, because we had a heavy examload.

But biblical Greek is not a recognized highschool subject, here, only ancient Greek is accepted so we changed to Athenaze.

But I tend to forget to assign the workbook :blush:

The standard schedule for high school students is a half-chapter per week (i.e. Week 1= 1a, Week 2 = 1b, Week 3 =2a, Week 4 =2b, etc.), which works out to 32 weeks per volume. That's what Lukeion does. In college classes, they go at twice the pace (a full chapter per week, so one semester per volume).

Aren't the workbooks keyed to the chapters? I haven't seen the workbooks in a couple of years, but I thought they were labeled to match the chapters, and the student just does the corresponding exercises each week.

Edited by Corraleno

Thanks!

Yes, I'm interested.

We can't use Lukeion for several reasons.

Dd Did Elementary Greek in 2015, because we had a heavy examload.

But biblical Greek is not a recognized highschool subject, here, only ancient Greek is accepted so we changed to Athenaze.

But I tend to forget to assign the workbook :blush:

My daughter says that the Lukeion teacher tends to add grammar rules to the tests (prepared by Lukeion so you won't find them in Athanaze) which the book doesn't practice, or at least doesn't practice often.  She did have a complaint with the book because she says it doesn't review well, but her teacher covers review in tests so in the class everything is covered well.  She also says don't skip anything and feels that you need to commit a regular amount of consistent time to Greek to progress and learn it well.  If you only need it to check off a credit, then it wouldn't be as important.

I hope that helps a little and best of luck.  Doing Greek on our own would make my knees knock together!   :scared:

• Like 2

That's an extremely intensive schedule would cover both books (2 years of HS Greek or 2 semesters of college Greek) in 12 weeks.

Yes I noticed that.

We would use it slower then that.

But somehow it is still usefull here as checklist.

I couldn't find something better, and it seems others either.

My daughter says that the Lukeion teacher tends to add grammar rules to the tests (prepared by Lukeion so you won't find them in Athanaze) which the book doesn't practice, or at least doesn't practice often. She did have a complaint with the book because she says it doesn't review well, but her teacher covers review in tests so in the class everything is covered well. She also says don't skip anything and feels that you need to commit a regular amount of consistent time to Greek to progress and learn it well. If you only need it to check off a credit, then it wouldn't be as important.

I hope that helps a little and best of luck. Doing Greek on our own would make my knees knock together! :scared:

I know a little bit of Greek, and DH did the same track as dd himself.

He works at home, so in case of getting stuck we can ask.

He teaches Latin to dd.

We don't have a credit system here, and I own a Dutch grammarbased selfstudie course for Ancient Greek. It might be possible.

Latin is scheduled 6 times a week, Greek 4.

Live classes are had to follow in our timezone, and Lukeion is too intensive to add to our other workload. As long as dd is motivated it will work this way.

• Like 1

I know a little bit of Greek, and DH did the same track as dd himself.

He works at home, so in case of getting stuck we can ask.

He teaches Latin to dd.

We don't have a credit system here, and I own a Dutch grammarbased selfstudie course for Ancient Greek. It might be possible.

Latin is scheduled 6 times a week, Greek 4.

Live classes are had to follow in our timezone, and Lukeion is too intensive to add to our other workload. As long as dd is motivated it will work this way.

You're right, Lukeion is VERY intensive.  I do know that with Lukeion my dd is flying through Greek at a much quicker pace than when I tried teach it.  However, she's also putting in hours and hours of work that she didn't before and not getting as much time with her other languages, so it's probably all relative.  

I really admire the level of education in Europe and all the languages the kids are/can be exposed to.  When we were in France and heard what was being studied, it was about two years ahead of here.  They seemed to focus less on "thrills" and more on actual learning, but their students were also more mature and they expected more from them.  It was a real eye-opener.

In any case, you sound like you have it all under control.  

• Like 1