Menu

Whole 30 - Week of 2/1

Pink and Green Mom

Tonight is the Big Night where I officially put something back in my diet I'm not supposed to have. Ok, technically it's two things (wheat and dairy).   I've already picked out what I'm eating, but the primary draw for me is this thing of beauty.  I love this particular dish at this partciular restaurant so much that I'm actually fantasizing about it.  I'm practically giddy with anticipation.  

The rest of the menu is easy.  Farm to table, local, fresh, amazing food.  But this?  Oh, man.  I'm so excited about it.  

• Like 1

Have you tried any other recipes from her website?  I think I need to see if her book is available at my library.

I bought her cookbook. I made a Spinach Artichoke bake from her book, which is similar to the buffalo chicken bake. It was not as tasty. I wanted it to be creamier. I think adding in some mayo may help. I have not made much else from her website. I was just reading for ideas when I saw that buffalo chicken bake on the sidebar. 

She has some good looking wings. They have honey, so no eating them on Whole30. I am not sure I will use it as much as Nom Nom (I use that book like crazy on a W30 and even after). There are a couple of other things that look yummy that will make an appearance in the coming weeks. 

• Like 1

Day 5 here and going well.  The headache of days 2 and 3 disappeared yesterday as expected thank goodness.

I have been having the strangest most vivid dreams since starting this.  Not sure if it's related.  The first three nights they were all awful, scary dreams and I ended up waking up multiple times each night in a state of fear.  Last night they were vivid and strange but not unpleasant.  

Full confession:  I weighed myself today.  I hadn't done it at the beginning as I had forgotten, so I figured this will be my baseline.  Although, happily, my baseline is 7 pounds lighter than where I started the year, and I'm pretty sure that those 7 pounds didn't start disappearing until the last week.

I made coconut curry chicken cashew soup/stew in the slow cooker yesterday and since I am the only person who will eat it, I have lots to see me through the next 5 days.

Off to the kitchen for breakfast.  We have potatoes from the garden that need cooking so I think I will have a couple of small potatoes with eggs and greens in some sort of messy hash like thing.  

• Like 1

I'm off schedule today. Late breakfast, forgot to pack lunch, dinner 2 hours ago and kind of hungry again.

Could really go for a glass of wine and a piece of dark chocolate but I'm holding strong- 5 whole days:)

Made the spicy roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoescfrom paleomg. Cut the spice in half and still spicy. It was good.

• Like 3

Could really go for a glass of wine and a piece of dark chocolate but I'm holding strong- 5 whole days:)

Glad to hear you are staying strong!  Right there with you.  Family is all having spanakopita for dinner and it smelled so good.  Stuck with the chicken curry and vegetables.

• Like 2

I have been following along, getting inspired by y'all, and I am starting on Monday. I have a bunch of meals in the freezer, and a fridge full of meats and veggies (and dairy, but I will clean that out before Monday). DP has volunteered to "join" me, for support. He has said he won't be giving up soda, though, so I am rolling my eyes and not lecturing him about how that's NOT the way to do it, and letting it go. I was going to drag him along as much as possible without him realizing anyway, so at least I've got a little bit of a buy-in from him.

• Like 2

Well, I made it through a three whole days.  The stomach bug I thought I had dodged hit the kids Thursday morning and me on Friday.  Apparently "quarantine and lysol" doesn't work with sick toddlers.  Ugh.  So, pretty sure saltines and Sprite are not Whole30 compliant, but that's what I've been eating and serving since Friday.  The kids have graduated to bananas and applesauce and toast.  We might be brave and try oatmeal tomorrow.  And this would be a weekend that DH is out of town.

That being said, I'm not giving up!  I think I'll hop on board with the WholeLent as a starting point.  I'm assuming I'll feel more like real food by Wednesday.

I already know I'll have two "cheats" in my 40 days (Valentine's Day and a glucose test), but I figure I'll just take those as they come and be as compliant as I can on those days.

• Like 1

Well, I made it through a three whole days.  The stomach bug I thought I had dodged hit the kids Thursday morning and me on Friday.  Apparently "quarantine and lysol" doesn't work with sick toddlers.  Ugh.  So, pretty sure saltines and Sprite are not Whole30 compliant, but that's what I've been eating and serving since Friday.  The kids have graduated to bananas and applesauce and toast.  We might be brave and try oatmeal tomorrow.  And this would be a weekend that DH is out of town.

That being said, I'm not giving up!  I think I'll hop on board with the WholeLent as a starting point.  I'm assuming I'll feel more like real food by Wednesday.

I already know I'll have two "cheats" in my 40 days (Valentine's Day and a glucose test), but I figure I'll just take those as they come and be as compliant as I can on those days.

I'm sorry your family is sick.  Get well soon!

Well Day 6 was interesting. We went shopping out of town for the day and I tried to eat lunch out. Asked waiter for dry grill steak and olive oil on the roasted veggies. He was very agreeable that those were easy substitutes. But I forgot to ask about the seasonings! The food was so salty I know something was on it.  I could feel my mouth itching and twitching as I ate them. Then my body itched in various places for about an hour and then my stomach started hurting and I had mild stomach cramps! All on Day 6. It's kind of crazy. Am I never going to be able to eat out again?!

Other than that I am feeling really good. Lots of energy and I can tell I am losing water/weight/bloat something.

On a good note, we stopped at whole foods on our way home so I have a lovely salad for today and all the ingredients to make the famous buffalo chicken casserole in time for the Super Bowl :hurray:

HOPE_Academy - I hope you feel better soon!!

• Like 2

Day 35 for me.  I am taking a shrimp platter, vegetables and guac, and my LaCroix water to our Super Bowl party.

I had to go out for a party last night and got another salad with grilled steak, no dressing.  Meh.  It was so salty.  Lewber, what you describe above is what happens to me if I eat MSG.  I wonder if there was some of that in your seasonings?

So my plan for the Super Bowl is to eat a lot of breakfast, lunch, and dinner at home before going to the party so I am not tempted once there.  No beer for me, and I really do plan on one drink with vodka and the rest without.  I found a recipe for vodka, Lime flavored LaCroix water, and fresh strawberries. 

I really need to prep food for the week, but I slept like a log last night and my ankle was flexed or something because now I cannot put any pressure on it.  Ugh.  DH was out of town visiting his family and his flight doesn't arrive until noon so I cannot see much happening in the way of prep here today. 

I finally made the popular buffalo chicken casserole. Wow! Should have tried that one sooner! I cut way back on the hot sauce though. I made it for a pot luck lunch at church and everyone liked it. I'll definitely be making it again.

We had friends over tonight and I made pizza for dinner. I made one "pizza" with a grain free cauliflower crust topped with ground beef and sauted veggies for myself and the other girl who is on a very limited diet. It was pretty good. I shredded a little fresh parmesan on mine. First time I've had dairy/cheese in 38 days and it was just as good as I remembered. I only had about an ounce.

I've been very happy with how well I've been able to control my eating since my Whole30 ended. It's only been a little over a week of course, but I didn't jump right back into my regular diet like I was afraid I would. I've been able to carefully think about my meal choices and stick to what I decide. That's a big win for me.

I made the famous buffalo chicken casserole and Im not in love. I used the tessamae buffalo sauce. It was good, but too strong to eat on its own. Not really too spicy but too buffalo:) might be good as a dip? I'm not sure how to eat the rest of it.

Edited to ask- if you loved it did you use franks? Tessamae? Ground chicken or shredded?

Edited by lewber