Menu

Whole 30 - Week of 2/1

Pink and Green Mom

Anyone doing Whole30 or Whole30 lite or thinking about Whole30 please come join us!

I am on Day 29 of Round 1 and gearing up for Round 2.  12 lbs. down.  Woo hoo. My sleeping has been so much better but for some reason it was awful last night.  I kept having that recurring dream that I was late getting to my job at my old law firm.  I haven't practiced law since 2002.

B:  bacon, leek, spinach and mushroom casserole

L:  will be at co-op all day so probably a compliant Larabar and a salad

D:  buffalo chicken casserole

Welcome to any Feb. 1 starters! 

• Like 1

I'm starting today!  I only bought food for one day, because DH was down with some intestinal bug over the weekend.  If it gets me (despite quarantine and lysol), I'd rather not have a fridge full of food that no one eats.  I'm giving it 48 hours before I really stock up, just in case.

I'm pregnant, so I'm snacking more than the "official" plan.  But we moved over Christmas, and I've been eating junk since around the time we started eating down our pantry in early December, and I need to do something to keep the sugar down and the veggie intake higher.  I'm also hitting a huge energy slump, and more sleep isn't an option, so better nutrition seems the next logical choice.

Today's plan:

B: hash with 1/2 c each Brussel sprouts, sweet potato, and onion + 1 c baby spinach sautĂƒÂ©ed in coconut oil + 1 Aidell's compliant sausage

Smoothie: watermelon, raspberry, basil, kale, cauliflower, and chia (I know smoothies are a frowned upon grey area, but it's a daily ritual with my kids, and at least I know they eat some fruits and vegetables in the midst of their "white food" toddler stage)

L: kale slaw (kale, cabbage, carrots, lemon juice, olive oil) on top of 1/2 baked sweet potato, topped with 1/2 avocado + pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds

Snack: 12 oz bone broth (chicken, I think, is what I defrosted)

D: roasted chicken breasts with potatoes and onions (I'll skip the potatoes), green beans, and vanilla/cardamom acorn squash (for the fam; plain for me)

I hadn't realized how much temptation would hit just feeding breakfast to the kids this morning; glad to have this thread for accountability.  (And glad I prepped the veggies for hash last night!)

• Like 3

I am almost at the end here. Three more days. I feel good.

I am feeling some trepidation about returning to our usual diet. My dh is on board with continuing to eat W30 but adding in yogurt, beans and not fretting so much about a little soy or sugar in our sauces (just a little). I will also allow myself milk in my coffee. It actually feels good saying it out loud here on this board to keep me accountable. It also sounds a little bit like a few of your moms who say, "I'll do the W30, except I'll eat bread, and drink wine, and pasta..." This is the hard part for me though, finding the happy medium between strict rules and reality. 

The best meal I made this week was a Thai green curry with chicken and veggies. It was delicious. 

Edited by Minerva
  • Like 4

Day 1 for me and my start is less than stellar. I might be one of those people like the moms in the other thread, I'm doing it but ...   :lol:

I tried a Whole 30 two years ago and made it through about day 22. I learned that eggs are what don't agree with me, my body is used to a ton of fiber because I'm a big bean eater, and salads are hard for me to eat without cheese and crunch! So, I am doing some smoothies. Mine have tons of greens, some berries, chia seeds, lemon and water. It gets lots of greens and tons of fiber in me and hopefully will head off the issues I had last time. I also relied too heavily on meats and nuts last time so I am making a concerted effort for soups and veggies this time.

So today -

B - smoothie and handful of nuts

L- tortilla soup minus tortillas that I accidentally made using chicken broth with sugar in it :huh:

D - Italian pot roast and green beans

I'm excited about doing it this month. I am feeling motivated and hoping for the best!! 

• Like 3

So glad that there are people starting/continuing with this as I am starting today and could use the support.  I did it once before on my own and felt great by the end of the first week and throughout.  Then I plunged right into non-compliant foods because we were camping at a festival and that was my official holiday from life, including cooking, and I bought all our food for 5 days, none of which was compliant.  And I was never able to really get back on track after that again.

So today is Day 1 for me.

Breakfast - eggs with greens, onion

Lunch - salad with baked chicken, pecans

Dinner - grilled chicken, roasted cauliflower/apple/dill, potato with homemade applesauce

• Like 1

Day 8 of (an admittedly modified) family Whole 30 here.

Part of our motivation was to see if we could pinpoint an allergy that triggers my 14-yo son's eczema. (We've done tons of testing, lotions, potions, regular doctors, voodoo doctors, and who can remember what else over his itchy life.)

Anyway, his skin has definitely improved! I've been reading about sugar and inflammation and skin, and I'm wondering if maybe that's a more significant issue than, say, dairy or wheat.

Next step is to remove the Zyrtec and Singulair and see how he responds.

Anyway, we're in the novelty-has-worn-off phase of this experiment. You know that FB meme where the mom is slumped over the chair saying, "You mean I have to feed them every day?!" Yeah, that's me. And I do only breakfast and lunch. Dh does dinner. Still. It's A LOT of kitchen time.

• Like 2

Well, I totally lost the bubble last month on the Whole30 when DH went into the hospital for what was supposed to be the first full week of the plan.  I joke and tell everyone that he wanted to get out of Whole30 so bad that he chose hospital food instead.  Thankfully he is now recovered and we are doing paleo emeals for dinner, but that's about it.  I've cut out a lot of sugary stuff too, like no treats after dinner, which is a huge sugar craving time for me.

Getting geared up to have so many healthy snacks and foods and meals seemed monumental and now I feel like I don't have the energy to do that again!!  I'm reading this thread to try and get some motivation to try and start another one.

• Like 2

Day 30 here for me.  But little celebration as I am continuing on for at least one more strict Whole30 (except for our annual Super Bowl party.  I am going to have a few drinks - but instead of beer I think I will stick to a La Croix cocktail).  Neither I nor my husband can believe I made it 30 days without a single cheat.  And as the queen of terrible eating habits and a hatred of vegetables, if I can do it anyone can do it.

B:  not even remotely hungry

L:  I may make some more cream of cauliflower soup for the week

D:  taco salad 

• Like 4

So I'm planning to start next week (and ending roughly around the time of my birthday in a month) and I'm wondering what benefits you all have seen. I have eczema and have never been able to pinpoint a trigger. My daughter's eczema trigger is dairy, but going off it doesn't seem to help me. Maybe this will help narrow things down. 

Have you all lost weight? Seen other benefits?

Thanks!

Kara

The first time I did one I lost 10 pounds in the month and just felt better.  I didn't have cravings, I didn't get hungry except for 3 times a day, didn't need snacks.  

I loved that I didn't have to count calories to get to that point.

I felt more energetic and slept better.

Hoping for the same results this time and this time I'm planning to mostly continue with a W30 lifestyle because it worked well for me.

• Like 1

So I'm planning to start next week (and ending roughly around the time of my birthday in a month) and I'm wondering what benefits you all have seen. I have eczema and have never been able to pinpoint a trigger. My daughter's eczema trigger is dairy, but going off it doesn't seem to help me. Maybe this will help narrow things down. 

Thanks!

Kara

I have lost 11-12 pounds.  My skin is clearer and feels brighter.  I lost stomach bloat around week 2 (every time I ate my stomach would bloat up like I was pregnant and by morning the bloat would be gone).  The cellulite on my thighs and butt (sigh) has become noticeably less dimply.  I have more clarity.  I have more energy.  I fall asleep the minute my head hits the pillow and hop out of bed even before the alarm and don't even feel tired.  Stomach pains and a very bizarre foot pain I used to get are completely gone (I can understand about the stomach pains but the foot pain is baffling to me).

If I were you, I would try it.  It really isn't that bad.  The worst part for me is the planning out of all the meals and then feeling like you spend the better part of your days and evening either prepping, cooking, or washing dishes.

• Like 3

Day 29.

I thought I was on the same schedule as PinkandGreenMom, but...no.

Anyway, I barely ate anything yesterday.  I just wasn't hungry until late in the evening (like, 10:30 pm), but I decided it was too late to eat so I just drank some water and went to bed.

I'm a bit hungrier today. 

B: 1 Aidell's sausage and sauteed spinach on a sweet potato

L:  Nothing yet, but I'm hungry.  I'll probably have the last of the chicken soup I made the other day.

D:  Thai curry chicken and veggie stirfry

ETA:  My next 30 days will be a bit less compliant, in that I plan to have a glass of wine a couple of times a week, and I already have a couple of meals/events planned that I know will be off plan.  That's ok.  I'm confident I can make wise choices now, whereas previously I would not have been able to do so.

I need to focus on exercise, and I'm kind of scared about it, frankly.  I know that sounds stupid, but I really dislike exercise, and I just don't do well at sticking with it.  It's much harder for me than eating properly.  I think the fear comes in because I don't want to fail, and then get discouraged and get off the good food path, too.  

I should probably try to find a plan that is not too difficult (my fitness level is quite low, anyway), but very prescriptive, like W30.  Anyone have any ideas?  I'm thinking of Fitness Blender, because it doesn't require equipment and I travel a lot for work.

Edited by AlmiraGulch
  • Like 2

AG, I promised myself that Round 2 would include 5-6x/week exercise.  I hate exercising (I don't like doing it in the AM, I hate getting sweaty and having to shower in the afternoon, and once evening rolls around it is the last thing on my mind).  I like to use Cathe Friedrich DVDs.  She puts together monthly rotations that I try to follow when I am actively exercising (which, by my best guess, last occurred in 2007 :lol: ) 

I just informed my youngest that today was Day 30. He was so excited and said, "YAY!!! We get to start eating out again tomorrow!!!"  Little does he know...

• Like 2

Today is Day 2 for me, and so far so good! Yesterday I felt like the whole entire day was about food, between grocery shopping and preparing food and actually eating. Today will be better on that front, having leftovers for lunch and whatever.

Cheers to all of you W30 folks!

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Day 2 here as well - leftovers!  Less work. I was able to find compliant sausage and almond butter today at our local health food store and I ordered some sauces and nuts that I couldn't find in town. This can be expensive to get started if you don't normally eat like this. I am very grateful I can afford to buy such good quality food. I had another smoothie for breakfast but have been reading about not drinking your calories. It lasted me to lunch though so I'm choosing not to be too worried about that for now. PLus, I'm just not in the mood to make salads and this is getting me some good greens. The sausage will come in handy to switch it up a few days a week. 

B- green smoothie and walnuts

L - Leftover italian pot roast

D- Leftover soup - but will add some roasted sweet potatoes, plantain chips and avocado to help it this time! 

• Like 3

Day two here!  I have just enough food around to get through today, so I'll make a more detailed meal plan and haul the kids out for a shopping trip tomorrow.  It's been 48 hours, and DH's stomach bug doesn't seem to have gotten me, so I'm hopeful I'm in the clear.

Today:

B: hash, again (Brussel sprouts, sweet potato, onions, spinach, sausage)

Smoothie: blueberry, kale, pear, cauliflower, almond milk

L: chicken salad (w/homemade olive oil mayo + celery, apple chunks + sunflower seeds) and roasted broccoli.  The kids dipped theirs in a ponzu-esque sauce, and it looked good.  I'm going to have to hunt for coconut amino to make it Whole30 compliant.

Snack: bone broth (chicken)

D: taco salad for me, tacos for the rest of the crew (sautĂƒÂ©ed peppers, onions, and ground beef on a bed of shredded cabbage topped with 1/2 an avocado)

DH is out of town Thurs-Sun, which actually makes things easier.  He doesn't really eat vegetables, so coming up with meals that are easy to make compliant for me but meat/carb for him can be a challenge.  He looked at me like I was nuts when I suggested he join me in the Whole30  :lol: Someday, maybe!  

Off to shovel the driveway... that is definitely counting as my exercise today.

• Like 2

Day 2 here too.  I hate Day 2.  I always have a massive sugar withdrawal headache on Day 2. 

B:  salad with baked chicken, pecans

L:  eggs with greens, onions

D:  this gets tricky.  I am feeding the family fish but it was fish that we already had and breaded, so that's out, with rice, which it out and some sort of veg, which will be fine.  So I suspect I will have leftovers from last night's dinner.

On the to do list for tomorrow is to make turkey burgers - I make apple and cinnamon ones and mashed cauliflower/curry ones, and they are great to have just hanging around for times when I don't want to make a meal.

• Like 2

I'm so glad this thread is continuing for February. It's great to have newbies and experienced posters together. I did so well with the c25K in large part due to these accountability and sharing threads. I like being able to come here and post - and I want to post successes so hopefully that will help keep me on track! 

• Like 3

Welcome to all of you just embarking on your journey! I hope you all have an awesome 30 days. It will not be without its challenges (remember: prepping food ahead of time and always having food available will make this so much easy!), but hopefully you will see some amazing benefits and the sense of accomplishment and being in control of your food choices will make it all worthwhile. Y'all are going to rock it!

• Like 3

Thanks!

Kara

I specifically have eczema and one of my motivations for doing another W30 was to see if I could get some facial eczema under control. Something is still triggering it.  :closedeyes: It is markedly better, especially around my eyes, but my lips are still struggling a bit. I am going to start taking a new probiotic now that I have wrapped this up. I waited because it has sucrose in it. I think eggs may be a trigger, so I will probably cut that out in the next. It honestly seemed to daunting with all of the other no's on the list. One thing the creators say is that specific skin conditions, such as eczema, may need more than 30 days. 

The first one I did, I lost 10 pounds. I weighed myself this morning and it looks like I lost about 8 pounds this round. I do have more energy, although I never really hit the boundless energy phase. I have walked more miles this month than I ever have in the year of tracking that with my Fitbit. I can absolutely tell that my joints and legs do not get as fatigued walking long distances as they did several months ago. In fact, several months ago walking 7 miles would be considered a big day and my legs would be achy by the end. Now, that is pretty standard for a given day. I did not focus as heavily on my weight training this round, and I suspect that is why I did not loose quite as much weight this go round. Well, that  and the fact that I am a year older. Life in your 40s :nopity:

One of the greatest benefits for me is dramatically cutting back on cravings. I love feeling so in control around food and not pining away or sneaking around trying to nip a piece of something sweet. It just feels good to use food as fuel and not constantly thinking about food or mindlessly eating. I still have work to do, but my oh my, a Whole30 certainly sets the stage nicely. 

HTH!

• Like 4

Day 3, boy time is really flying :lol: It's all good here. More leftovers today with a switch at breakfast. My only real issue so far is breaking the snack habit. Didn't realize just how much mindless eating I was doing.

B- Compliant sausage, potatoes, peppers and onions. Small green smoothie

L- Leftover pot roast with tomatoes, onions, potatoes and green beans

D- Leftover chicken veggie tortilla soup with avocado and plantain.

Hmm, hoping that's not too many starchy vegetables. The potato servings are small. 

• Like 3

Day 31.  Impossible to believe.  I lost a total of 13 lbs.  I am not even hungry.  I am not even craving anything.  At co-ops one mom had these beautiful homemade chocolates and another had these flavored pretzels and I wasn't even tempted.  This to me is huge. 

I am really not even hungry.  I am going to go have a bowl of shredded cabbage and an Aidelle sausage for lunch.  I am supposed to make tacos for dinner but someone (cough cough) forgot to take the meat out to defrost. Off to do that now.

• Like 4

I like how easy it is to pass on things I would ordinarily wrestle with eating or not eating. The mindless social eating hardly registers (hello, I would still want dinner after having popcorn with the kids), but it sure does add up. Having the "rules" that remove the active choice is great.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Day 30!!

B: Leftover thai red curry (chicken and veggie), with some sweet potato added in because I didn't have much

L:  One Aidell's sausage and some cut up baby bell peppers

S:  Handfull of cashews

D:  "Creamed" (no dairy) Spinach stuffed chicken and zoodles with Rao's marinara

I don't know exactly how much weight I've lost because I didn't weigh myself on Day 1, but it's about 10-11 pounds.  I'm really, really good with that.  I don't know if that will slow down or not in month 2, as I add in some non-Whole30 foods but also some exercise.  We shall see.  I just feel much more in control now, so that's a huge win.

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing some incredibly stressful life events right now.  Several of those that you would normally see in a list of Top 10 Most Stressful Things.  My husband, who has been on this W30 journey with me, was dying for a chocolate shake last night, but just...didn't.   Earlier today I was <<this close>> to getting in my car, driving to Chilis, and having a giant margarita and a whole order of Southwest Eggrolls  But the whole time I was fantasizing about it, I was going about making my Aidell's sausage and slicing my peppers for lunch.  All that to say I am definitely an emotional eater and stress is my primary trigger, and I was able to manage through that today (and for the last 30, even in the midst of All of the Bad Things) just fine.  I wanted it, but I really don't think I was ever in any real danger of doing it.  HUGE non-scale victory for me.  I've got this.  I am in control.  Maybe not of anything else, but of this. I'll take it. 

• Like 4

Day 31.  Impossible to believe.  I lost a total of 13 lbs.  I am not even hungry.  I am not even craving anything.  At co-ops one mom had these beautiful homemade chocolates and another had these flavored pretzels and I wasn't even tempted.  This to me is huge. 

I am really not even hungry.  I am going to go have a bowl of shredded cabbage and an Aidelle sausage for lunch.  I am supposed to make tacos for dinner but someone (cough cough) forgot to take the meat out to defrost. Off to do that now.

See, this is sad to me - and part of my problem no doubt. But I get such joy from food. I'll be sad not to be tempted by such yummies. :lol: I better be enough thinner to get my joy from that instead! 

See, this is sad to me - and part of my problem no doubt. But I get such joy from food. I'll be sad not to be tempted by such yummies. :lol: I better be enough thinner to get my joy from that instead! 

You can still get joy from food, just different food.  I sat yesterday and had a juicy granny smith apple.  I have never sat and savored an apple.  I had happy feelings eating it - I am not sure I have ever had that before....

• Like 2

I finished today.

I lost four pounds while my husband lost fourteen. Does that seem fair? 

However, I feel good, and as my husband pointed out to me, he had a bit more to lose. I really don't feel any great desire to eat anything that is going to make me feel bad, so I'm just going to take my time reintroducing foods. I have some trepidation about this since it's so dang easy to turn a little bit of pasta into a mountain of spaghetti. 

Tonight, broccoli beef for dinner. 

• Like 2

I am almost at the end here. Three more days. I feel good.

I am feeling some trepidation about returning to our usual diet. My dh is on board with continuing to eat W30 but adding in yogurt, beans and not fretting so much about a little soy or sugar in our sauces (just a little). I will also allow myself milk in my coffee. It actually feels good saying it out loud here on this board to keep me accountable. It also sounds a little bit like a few of your moms who say, "I'll do the W30, except I'll eat bread, and drink wine, and pasta..." This is the hard part for me though, finding the happy medium between strict rules and reality.

The best meal I made this week was a Thai green curry with chicken and veggies. It was delicious.

You don't need to label your diet, but I understand the desire to do so to help maintain boundaries. FWIW, Primal, paleo's dairy loving cousin includes yogurt and milk (heavy cream, preferably) in the acceptable foods list, as tolerated by each individual.

As for the beans, soy, sugar - all the authors/bloggers/primal-paleo experts I've read or listened to espouse an 80/20 rule or 90/10. Keep it clean 80-90 percent of the time, but realize you are human and trying to maintain any sort of ideal 100% of the time is a recipe for disaster and added stress that is just as hard or worse on the body than the occasional 'cheat' food.

• Like 2

Day 3 - I feel good about what I'm eating, but the massive headache continues from Day 2.  From previous experience, it should be gone by tomorrow.  I hope.

B - salad with chickens and pecans

L - 3 eggs with greens and onion

D - salmon and roasted brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes

I have a tendency to eat the same thing over and over again when I'm doing this, which isn't the worse thing ever.  Although I need to find some more options than chicken/eggs/fish.  I'm not that into pork and haven't eaten beef for years, so that's a bit tough.

• Like 2

Raifta, have you considered shrimp?  I have sautĂƒÂ©ed it in ghee and garlic for something resembling scampi, and also served it with tomato sauce over zoodles (zucchini noodles).  I have also tossed it with buffalo sauce for a little oomph.  I like that I can buy a big bag of frozen shrimp at Costco or Publix and just defrost a serving at a time.

Can you get ground chicken and make meatballs (just to present the chicken in a new way)?  I had some in buffalo sauce and have seen recipes for Asian inspired flavors as well.

I can't say enough wonderful things about this:  http://paleomg.com/sneak-peek-recipe-from-juli-bauers-paleo-cookbook-buffalo-chicken-casserole/

I can't say enough wonderful things about this:  http://paleomg.com/sneak-peek-recipe-from-juli-bauers-paleo-cookbook-buffalo-chicken-casserole/

It is making its third appearance this Friday. I really adore that casserole. It was my big recipe win for this W30 round. 

If you like buffalo flavors; you have got to try it! It is so tasty.

• Like 1

I finished today.

I lost four pounds while my husband lost fourteen. Does that seem fair? 

However, I feel good, and as my husband pointed out to me, he had a bit more to lose. I really don't feel any great desire to eat anything that is going to make me feel bad, so I'm just going to take my time reintroducing foods. I have some trepidation about this since it's so dang easy to turn a little bit of pasta into a mountain of spaghetti. 

Tonight, broccoli beef for dinner. 

It's all about balance and you being in charge of your choices. Being aware of your 'food with no breaks' is huge, and hopefully, after 30 days of restrictive, conscientious eating, you have a greater awareness of which foods are triggers for you. Knowing those foods that trigger cravings and send you from a taste to a mountain, is a huge step and hopefully having that awareness will make it easier for you to make solid choices. When you slip, you can reset. I can definitely see myself incorporating a Whole7 or Whole15 multiple times this coming year, just to keep me focused and on track. I think this will be especially helpful before vacation/travels or holidays. For me, keeping balanced means making solid choices most of the time and when I decide to eat something (whether its a taste or whole piece of _____) that is not a solid choice, I will enjoy it guilt free and know that I am in charge of food, rather than food running me. 

That's my plan right now, anyway. 

Broccoli beef sounds awesome, BTW! Yum!

• Like 2

Where else do you all find great recipes?

I like the Whole30 book (has lots of recipes), and several paleo blogs.  For paleo blogs you just have to be sure everything is compliant.  I also found a few on Pinterest and Instagram but you have to be vigilant because people will post recipes that are in no way compliant and call them "Whole 30."

Here is a website that has 50 Once a Month cooking recipes for Whole30.  I did this for my first two weeks.  I have to be honest that I wasn't that thrilled with the recipes.    https://onceamonthmeals.com/blog/recipe-roundups/50-freezable-whole30-recipes/

Tessemae is a family run business that makes a lot of compliant sauces, mayo, and condiments.  The website has a bunch of recipes (mostly using their products but it is not to hard to make substitutes).  http://www.tessemaes.com/blogs/blog

Other cookbooks I like:  Well Fed and Well Fed 2, Against all Grain, and Nom Nom Paleo.

• Like 1

I had planned to start reintroducing foods this week but so far it hasn't happened. I'm not in any hurry though. That puts me on day 35. I cooked rice to go with lunch today but then didn't have time to eat lunch. There were leftovers for dinner but by then it didn't sound good anymore. Instead I'm having a couple of Applegate hotdogs with cooked broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. Cravings are back but I heard that can be normal in weeks 5 and 6 if the Whole30 is extended.

• Like 1

Today was a very toddler day, so nothing went as planned, including a trip to the grocery store.  Made due with things on hand.

B: apple slices and celery with warm almond butter

smoothie: banana, peach, chia, kale, and almond milk

L: leftover taco salad fixings; I sauteed the cabbage and topped it with the other half of the (cold) avocado, which made for a nice contrast

D: leftover hash: potatoes, onions, and chicken leftover from our roasted chicken dinner, plus a few handfuls of spinach and one of kale for something green

I'm learning how many mindless "bites" I take during the day: something off a kids plate, the crust of a sandwich, a handful of something as I'm walking through the kitchen.  I'm also learning that I really need to listen to my hunger.  I know that Whole30 discourages snacking, but I think I'm eating fairly balanced, substantial meals, and I still NEED to snack.  Being pregnant and breastfeeding is definitely playing a large role in that, as is, I'm assuming, interrupted sleep.  I'm a better mom when I'm well fed, so I'm going to focus on having easy-to-pull together snacks and meals for this moments when hunger hits unexpectedly.  This would be a good life habit, too, because sometimes toddlers just don't give me time to prep whatever meal I'd planned for either them or me.  

• Like 2

My Whole30 has officially ended after 35 days. I had brown rice with lunch today. So far I don't think I feel any different but I'm trying to really pay attention to that as I add foods back in. Now back to 3 days of Whole30 eating.

Sunday we're having friends over for a pizza party. I'm not sure what I'll do about that. One of the people coming over is dairy, starch, and sugar free. She said she'd take care of her own food but I can come up with something that she and I can eat so that I'll have an option besides pizza.

• Like 2

Great job!

My Whole30 has officially ended after 35 days. I had brown rice with lunch today. So far I don't think I feel any different but I'm trying to really pay attention to that as I add foods back in. Now back to 3 days of Whole30 eating.

Sunday we're having friends over for a pizza party. I'm not sure what I'll do about that. One of the people coming over is dairy, starch, and sugar free. She said she'd take care of her own food but I can come up with something that she and I can eat so that I'll have an option besides pizza

• Like 1

Day 32 and I had to eat out.  We went out after my son's last middle school basketball game.  I had a steak and romaine salad, no dressing.  The steak had seasonings on it and I was assured there was no "sugar" but who knows.   I am drinking a ton of water hoping to flush whatever was in it out of my system. 

But, as I tell myself, at least I wasn't eating mozzarella sticks, a huge bacon cheeseburger and a ton of fries (and beer) as I normally would have.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 3

I will be starting Whole30 for Lent next week on Wednesday.  Since I'm doing it for Lent I should probably call it Whole40?  But either way.  I've checked The Whole30 Cookbook out of the library and have It Starts With Food on hold.  I have a huge shopping list ready to go tomorrow.  I'm relentlessly visiting the Whole30 Forum.  I am geared up and ready to go!

I'd love to have someone to do WholeLent with if anyone's up for it.

• Like 1

Day 5! I'm feeling good. No carb flu or even really any sugar detox. The big thing I've noticed is the mindless snacking I was doing. I'm still opening the pantry and looking to grab a Hershey kiss or a cookie, but I don't. Missing my evening glass of wine but not too badly.

I am getting sick of my leftovers I've eaten all week! I repurposed my leftover pot roast into Mexican meat last night and served with baked sweet potato fries and it was pretty good. But I must meal plan for the weekend and next week quickly! With all that pot roast and the steak I'm having tonight, I really need to reduce red meat. I'm going to make that buffalo chicken casserole linked above for sure!

Also, I am hungry in the mornings now, but still not ready to eat a lot of real savory food. I've been trying a smaller smoothie with a smaller breakfast meal which seems to be a good compromise for now.

• Like 2