Menu

So, once the baby's born...

lexi

I'm going to need some nursing bras and tanks and other essentials. Tell me your favorites!

What are must-haves for a new mom? I'm trying to make a list so I can start shopping. We gave away most of the stuff after our last baby. Oops! So now I'm starting to nest and I need some good recommendations!

I just use the Target nursing tanks. I'm sure there are better brands, but they're cheap and work. Lansinoh nursing pads. I almost bought a tube of lanolin today, but our hospital provides a few tiny tubes and they seem to last a while for me.

Are you looking for nursing recs, or just baby recommendations in general?

• Like 1

I just use the Target nursing tanks. I'm sure there are better brands, but they're cheap and work. Lansinoh nursing pads. I almost bought a tube of lanolin today, but our hospital provides a few tiny tubes and they seem to last a while for me.

Are you looking for nursing recs, or just baby recommendations in general?

Nursing recs would be great but other baby recs would be good too. I feel overwhelmed since we are starting without much baby gear this time. 

The only nursing bras I could find locally that worked for me were the Target brand sleep ones. (I can't use underwire, as it leads to plugged ducts and mastitis. I'd go braless before using underwire while nursing.) I prefer the sleep bra with a t-shirt to the tanks. 

I love, love, love coconut oil to prevent/cure diaper rash.

I love me mei tai and Boba carrier.

I love Skidders shoes once the kiddo is walking.

We use cheap bouncy chairs and high chairs from garage sales.

Other than that, if baby has clothes and diapers, I am good.

• Like 1

This tank actually comes in cup sizes if yours runneth over: Bravado Designs Essential Nursing Bra Tank - White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000USQJ1Q/

They're also thicker, stretchy material that stays put. It's not super spandexy like Spanx or anything, but it did give the feeling of some support. They wash really well. The black stayed black for me--not faded dirty gray. Stranger colors are often cheaper.

Edited by zoobie

If you're larger on top, Bravado bras.

Thanks. My band size is fairly small but my cup size is apparently on the larger size for my band size. Therefore, I have a hard time finding bras that fit. I haven't heard of this brand before so I'll have to check it out.

• Like 1

I love our rock and play. We have an older one, but I know the newer models have an automatic rocker. A good carrier is a must for me. I use the Moby until they're a few months, then switch to a different one. I used an Ergo with my middle two, but will probably buy a different one for #4. With more children, I discovered how little I care about most stuff. I found a rocker/bouncer on clearance, along with a travel system. We didn't need an entire stroller/car seat combo, but it was just as much as an infant car seat. We don't usually use a stroller until at least one.

• Like 1

I second the undercover mama tanks.  I wear them daily.  Another thing I do sometimes is wear a crossover style shirt with a halftee underneath.  I nurse in public without a cover so I really like my clothes to cover me well when nursing.  I find "nursing" tops expose more breast and are more difficult to maneuver one handed, than the undercover mama or half tee options.  

As far as nursing bras, I go to a local lactation store and try on a ton and then take home the ones that I like best.  

I usually just wear two shirts. Nursing bra + cami + outer shirt. Then I lower cami to nurse and the rest of it covers my torso if I need to feed while I'm out. These are pretty stretchy: http://www.target.com/p/women-s-favorite-cami-merona/-/A-15643730

Some women liked the Latched Mama clothing.http://latchedmama.com

I made the mistake of buying nursing tanks from Wal-Mart and the elastic? band under the breasts was so tight I couldn't wear them. Ordered two sizes. Gave them both away. Really baffled me since I'm small framed and don't have very large breasts yet both sizes were ridiculously tight. I ordered a bra on Amazon that snaps in front and opens differently. I like the concept, but the type of snap is cheap and difficult to fiddle with. They also run small. But I am glad I got it because it's my only "cute" nursing bra and it's thicker than my others so camouflages the fact that I'm wearing nursing pads. I don't even use most of my nursing bras properly. I lift them up because they have stretchy material under the breast. The dumb flap just got in the way and would get milk on it. I have a couple of Medela sleep bras, but they are horrible quality. Ride up the back (again with the weird sizing. I don't get it).

There are some other threads about new baby items so I'm probably repeating myself but I think the swaddle or sleep bags are nice. Made it so much easier to use velcro than try to fold.

Are you going to be pumping?  I loved the rec. I got from someone else to buy a sports bra from Walmart that has front hook and eyes.  You cut a small hole in the bra for the funnels.  I didn't wear that generally, I was a nursing SAH.  But there were certain time I needed to pump.   Like after DD went to sleep because she needed milk to go to sleep then she slept hard, which meant that the next day if I wasn't pumping she didn't get enough to go to sleep.  I also need to hands-free pump to relax.