Menu

Talk to me about NW Arkansas

caitlinsmom

We have the opportunity to purchase a business in NW Arkansas.  We've never been there before.  What can you share with me about the culture, people, education (homeschooling and higher ed specifically), etc?  Why do you love/hate it?  Areas you love/hate?  Crime? 

I'm obviously checking internet resources for statistics and such but I'd love to hear real live opinions. :)

Thanks!

Edited by caitlinsmom

I think the area around Fayetteville is the nicest part of the state.

ETA: To me, the NW corner seems newer and more modern. The University of Arkansas is a dominating presence. The lack of Costco does suck. I don't know if they'll ever get one. Even Tulsa, which has a much larger population, doesn't have one.

Edited by hellen

Probably the most beautiful area in the state.

Summers are very, very hot everywhere, but it's better in the Northwest.

I suspect that the ticks and mosquitoes are about the same. I'm in the River Valley, and deal with all kinds of bugs during the summer. 

We have several varieties of poisonous snake; none are aggressive.

I like the culture--meaning that I prefer to be left alone and people are willing to oblige me. 

Homeschooling here is very easy-you must register yearly, provide a curriculum plan and test yearly beginning in 3rd grade. It is no big deal at all. My boys like the testing, and you can register with an outside agency and test at home, or sites are provided for testing with other homeschooling families.

My understanding is that the Northwest area of Arkansas has more homeschooling families than other parts of the state.

The culture is quite varied. I would say that most Arkansans are more than willing to let and let live, can be very conservative about some things and very liberal about others. It's just like anywhere else--you are going to find all kinds of people and outlooks on life. 

University of Fayetteville is a fun place. DH went to school there; I didn't, but have been on campus as a young person and there is a lot of life to the college community there. There are a number of smaller schools. In my area alone I have three colleges to choose from, all within a twenty to thirty minute range of driving. 

And don't get me started on the wonderful amount of natural wonders to enjoy less than two hours from my front door! 

Cost of living is going to be a little higher in NW Arkansas than elsewhere in the state, except maybe for Little Rock. But that's not going to be universal. Depends on where you want to live.

Expect to have to drive a lot. Arkansas is just one of those places where "eight as the crow flies" is going to be thirty to forty minutes driving. It's just that way. Mountains and rivers you know. :laugh:

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

I think NW Arkansas is wonderful! I lived there for about 5 years and live about an hour south now. Crystal Bridges is a gem! Walmart and the U of A influence almost everyone's life one way or another. Bentonville and Rogers is more conservative, Fayetteville more liberal. Imo, Fayetteville has more character though. But the Bentonville square feels like Mayberry. I honestly don't think there are any parts that are unsafe - maybe small pockets here and there in Springdale and/or Fayetteville. The Fayetteville library is one of the best I've ever seen. Oh, and the Fayetteville farmers market is wonderful!!!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

• Like 1

It is beautiful and a destination for outdoorsmen, with a number of quality outfitters - lots of hiking, fishing, canoe/kayaking in the area. There's an area between Bentonville and Fayetteville that has an upscale pocket of business and residential areas, but I can't remember the name of that area. I personally wouldn't mind living there (NW AR) if dh came home and said he got a company relocation there.

It is a beautiful and thriving area. Close to so much outdoors activities. Homeschooling laws are minimal in AR.

Not too far from Tulsa which I hear is getting a Trader Joes or Costco soon.

As far as beauty in the state, further south in the Ouchita National Forest area is even more beautiful IMO but there are no jobs there.

And Hot springs is a beautiful area. So lots of nearby places to visit if you live in NW AR.

I live over state lines but visit NWA often. Family and friends there. Its beautiful and I'd love to live there but our circumstances haven't opened up that opportunity yet. When we visit, there is always plenty to do and explore. I agree with pp, the Fayeteville library and Farmer's market are drool worthy.

I thought I read somewhere that AR dropped the testing requirement for homeschoolers??? I must be remembering incorrectly.