Menu

Need some opinions about possibly changing math to achieve graduation

Cynful

I've posted before, but oldest son has lots of "dys" diagnosis including dyscalculia.  We've tried ALOT of math curricula, tutors, etc.  We've settled on Rod & Staff and its going very well now.  However, he's in 4th grade math.  

He's a senior.  He's NOT happy.  

I've been looking around and have been looking at Power Basics Basic Math.  I'm considering switching him to this will all the workbook and the extra practice workbook.  He could go through quicker (though that may be bad) and be ready for something like Algebra or Pre-Algebra afterwards.  He really wants to do community college but math is going to hold him back.  Although he has other areas of being behind, he's much better remediated in those areas.  

So I'm trying to decide how to move forward.  Take a chance on something new or stick with what's working.  Normally, I'd stick with what's working but the time crunch has me concerned.  So help me.  :)  What would you do?

Do you *have* to graduate him this year?  Is a 5th year an option?  

Is the cc what you're recommending for him, or would he have some other options that wouldn't require math?

This is his 5th year.  He can take more but he won't.  He'll be 19 when he graduates.  CC is what he wants to "try".  We are fine if he just decides to work or tech school or a trade; anything but nothing.  

• Like 1

I've posted before, but oldest son has lots of "dys" diagnosis including dyscalculia.  We've tried ALOT of math curricula, tutors, etc.  We've settled on Rod & Staff and its going very well now.  However, he's in 4th grade math.  

He's a senior.  He's NOT happy.  

I've been looking around and have been looking at Power Basics Basic Math.  I'm considering switching him to this will all the workbook and the extra practice workbook.  He could go through quicker (though that may be bad) and be ready for something like Algebra or Pre-Algebra afterwards.  He really wants to do community college but math is going to hold him back.  Although he has other areas of being behind, he's much better remediated in those areas.  

So I'm trying to decide how to move forward.  Take a chance on something new or stick with what's working.  Normally, I'd stick with what's working but the time crunch has me concerned.  So help me.   :)  What would you do?

Well, my first question is whether your son's psychological evaluation is less than three years old because you need one that is less than 3 years old to apply for accommodations at the local CC.

In your position, I would call and make an appointment with the local CC to determine what are the certificate options for your son.  I would sort that out and then proceed.  If there is a basic math course, I would likely grab a copy of the course text and use it to gauge the math he must know.   

Edited by Heathermomster

I've been in your shoes a few years ago - although in our case it was the writing skills that held him back.  You know, there comes a time when you just can't hold on any longer and you have to let go and let them move forward and it with that comes some challenge and cost.  At our CC they require incoming students to take placement exams in math and English unless you have certain scores from your SAT/ACT (which we didn't take because I knew he'd score poorly).  On the CC website they provided a link to where you could work on some practice exams - check and see if that is available so your ds can at least be exposed to what is going to be on those tests (they had options for the English portion, too).  Look at your CC college catalog and see what math classes they offer.  I'm guessing that they offer developmental math courses that the student works through (those placement tests let the student know where they need to start and work up from there).  You might be surprised at how he places and then, he might place at the beginning level but the important part is he placed and he'll work his way through and he'll be proud of his accomplishments and it will mean a lot to him.  He'll take ownership.  Now, do these courses count towards a degree, nope but it is all part of the process.  Some of the developmental courses are worth 8 credits and you work downwards from there until you achieve the level you need to take the course(s) you need for your degree. 

I'm not sure that pushing through to reach and do Algebra say by the end of the summer, in time for fall semester, is going to be beneficial for your student.  Have all the documentation ready and go through the process for the accommodations for the disabilities and work up from there. One day, one step at a time.  My ds has taken 4 years to get through CC because he could only handle 12 credit hours when he first started.  I attended the disability meetings in the beginning and two years ago he took the reins and his final semester - he's taking 16 credits and flying solo.  Just like all the years before took longer than the "average bear" this next step might, too, but in the end, he'll be proud of his accomplishments (and so will you but for now let him take the reins).

I wasn't happy that my ds couldn't place in the English course and I kept saying "If I only had another year he would have been fine" but you know, I don't think so.  He needed to fly solo and do it himself.  (My ds is hearing impaired so mastering spoken and written English is a major challenge.)  He surprised me because in the typical path of the developmental course students typically had to take the first course (8 credits) twice before being strong enough to move on to the 4 credit and then a 2 credit but my ds made it through the first course and then skipped to the required English 111.  He said that it had to become important to him to make it is a success and there was nothing I could have done.  He learned what worked for him and how to use accommodations to help him succeed.

The CC disability offices are usually great to work with and much more friendly than 4 year universities so it is a great start in helping our struggling students get a good start in higher education.

• Like 4

I don't know anything about the math program you asked about, but in your situation I would probably try some other option to see if more ground could be covered more quickly.  Perhaps the program you mention. Perhaps a basic college math book. Perhaps something online. Perhaps a tutor. Perhaps some combination of things.

Let your DS start community college, but not start with math.  Take a few courses as a non-matriculated student and while he is doing that, keep working at home with him on math to get him up to community college speed in math.  He can take his math later, when he has a more slid background. 

• Like 3