Menu

2016-2017 7th grade plan

My rising 7th grade son:

Math-CLE 700s or maybe he'll try AoPS PreA.

English Language- Landry Academy Reading Ropes & Writing Ropes.  I really hope he can also handle a nice reading list from me.

Science- Landry Academy 1 semester Chemistry + 1 semester Physics

History-US History maybe America the Beautiful from Timberdoodle? Maybe CLE's US History textbook? Maybe TimeTravelers?

Latina Christiana

• Like 1

Plans are still pretty loose here, so reading for ideas.

I really want to outsource writing & Spanish.  She & I do not do well with writing.  She approaches it very differently than I do and I can't break through.  But I can't figure out what would suit her best.  I'm really drawn to Brave Writer classes but I'm not sure she wouldn't do better with something more like a Writing With Skill.  

Math--We are going to finish her PreA book this year (I planned for 3-4 semesters), so now I need to figure out what algebra to start her on.  She's enjoyed Lial PreA, so we will likely stick with that.  

Grammar--Planning to continue with Growing with Grammar.

History--We do this together & we'll finish SOTW 4 + add'l American history next year.  I need to find some resources to bulk this up a bit for her.  

Science--We also do this together.  Physics comes back up next year, so we will do that for 3/4 of the year and then 1/4 on ??  Haven't decided what physics to use yet, though.  

Spelling/vocab--We will finish Apples & Pears this year.  Spelling is her hardest subject, so we've gone slowly to give her a firm foundation.  I *think* we'll switch to a vocab focus next year while using vocab words for some spelling practice, as well.  But, again, no idea what vocab.  

We are moving to NC this summer, so available options for co-op type classes & enrichment will work into the plans...as soon as I figure out what some of those are!!  (Anyone in the Fayetteville area?  I'd love to chat if so!)

• Like 2

English - outsourcing this to local charter school

Science - outsourcing this to local charter school

Math - finish Saxon Algebra 2; probably will start both Jacobs Geometry and Saxon Advanced Mathematics in spring 2017

History - The American Odyssey (with emphasis on reading comprehension) + Hakim's "A History of US" + Stanford History Education Group U.S. History Lessons + CrashCourse US History

Latin - Latin for the New Millennium 3

Music - piano

PE - martial arts, dance, jogging

Other - cooking

Just starting to think about this & work this out for my eldest.

Reading through other posts is helping me brainstorm & explore.

Right now, I'm looking at:

Literature- Mensa for Kids Excellence in Reading list for 7-8th graders, general discussion & exploration of those titles together

Spelling & Vocab- Finishing out AAS 5/6 & Word Roots

Grammar- ??? No idea yet. Need to research this.

Writing- WWS2 & CW2 (Dependent on finishing WWS1 & CW1 by autumn.)

Math- Still looking for a primary to move to after finishing MCP Mathematics, but thinking Khan Academy to fill in any holes & we might try out Jousting Armadillos for fun to start with at least.

Logic- Continue assorted workbooks with fun puzzles, looking into a more formal option.

History- We've been out of the country for a few years & been very internationally focused in our history/poli sci/sociology/anthropology type studies. So I'm feeling strongly about a in-depth return to US history next school year. Still screening resources for this. Will probably put something together myself as I'm very picky about history. Will do this all together with her two 5th grader siblings & just differentiate specific assignments for them.

Science- Some combo of Joy Hakim, Ellen McHenry, Mr. Q, & GreatSource Science Daybooks, along with documentaries, random experiments, field trips, etc. Will also do this all together & differentiate where needed.

Latin- Latin for Children A

Spanish- Duolingo

I'm right in the middle of planning for the fall. Dd will probably do some of this with me and some via online classes:

Math: Geometry (need to decide on text)

Science: Physical Science or Physics

Chinese: Chinese II using Integrated Chinese

Latin: Latin 1 using Wheelock's

History: WTM Medieval History

English: R&S English 8, WWS 2, and Lightning Lit 7&8

I have finalized our schedule now! A few things have changed:

Math: AoPS Intro to Counting and Probability; Algebra B

Science: Clover Creek Physics

English: R&S English 8, WWS 2, and the Intro to Lit and Comp class at CLRC

We are also going to try the Socratic Discussion class at WTM Academy.

I am very excited about next year's line-up. I especially love that Dd will be starting real lit analysis with CLRC, and will be working on close reading and annotating in the Socratic discussion class. She'll be taking Latin with Lukeion and I'm going to work through Wheelock's with her, which I have been looking forward to for a couple years now. Jetta at Clover Creek is fantastic and I can't wait for Dd to work with her. And I'm really happy that we are going back to AoPS. She's using Foerster this year for Algebra 1, working very independently, and doing great with the material. It's a very well-written book. But after using AOPS for Pre-A, other math curricula just seems so... uninspiring? Less exciting? I can't wait for our new math books to come in the mail!

Saxon Algebra I w/ Alcumus

FLVS H Physical Science w/ TOPS

CLRC Intermediate Latin I or MP online First Form Latin

WTMA Story of Modern Times

TC History of the United States

WTMA Socratic Discussion (Fall)

WTMA Geography (Spring)

Hake Grammar 7

WTMA Writing With Skill 2

Lightning Literature 8

FLVS Intro to Information Technology

Crew, triathlon team, fitness training

Classes have been paid for, so I guess I post this up. Ds is requesting a year to loop back through previous material, but go deeper.

English - MCT, PowerPoints and presentations for advocacy

Latin - Lukeion Latin 1

Spanish - vocab building, Breaking the Barrier, Babble

Math - Geometry and Algebra 2 integration

Science - Biology and Chemistry. Pre AP Biology, a bit of A & P

Art - Piano and AP Music Theory

Social Studies - Roman Roads Year 2 and possiblly comparative government

• Like 1

Math:  Algebra 1 - leaning towards Foerster's Algebra with Math Without Borders videos

Literature:  currently putting together a reading list (probably will only require her to read books from the list...nothing else) 

Bible:   

History:  

Grammar:  Michael Clay Thompson's Magic Lens I

Vocabulary:  Michael Clay Thompson's The Word Within the Word I

Poetry:  Michael Clay Thompson's Poetry and Humanity

Writing:  Writing with Skill 3

Science:  Apologia's Physical Science (will attend an accompanying co-op class twice a week)

Foreign Language:  BJU Spanish I (will attend an accompanying co-op class twice a week)

Art:  possibly palette knife painting (co-op class once a week), sewing, painting 

Additional co-op classes:  possibly Money Makers class once a week (if not doing palette knife painting), Student Government Association once a week

PE:  10 hours of ballet/pointe per week (Eek!), mountain biking, run 5Ks

Music:  Piano 

I'm sure this isn't set in stone, but right now, I think the plan is:

Grammar:           Rod & Staff 6

Writing:               WWS 2 combined with Sentence Composing from Kilgallon

History:               SOTW 3 with several Sonlight readers and adding in History of US (following Guesthollow's schedule)**also trying to cut back on our historical fiction reading and concentrating on classics, so there will be *some* Sonlight readers, but fewer than initially planned.

Science:              No idea, but thinking about Holt Earth Science

Latin:                   Second Form Latin

Literature:            Sonlight readers mentioned above and some WTM suggestions

Math:                   if the rest of the year goes well, Algebra II Saxon.  If he needs to slow down, well, we'll see. Geometry through Cornerstone Tutorial

Geography:         I want to cover world geography, but I can't seem to fit it in anywhere, so I'm thinking of adding BYL 7th grade geography and spreading it over his last 2 years of middle school.  Still trying to decide, so we'll see.

Spanish 1:          Cornerstone Tutorial

I'm very excited that we decided to enroll ds in a tutorial for next year, so I updated those classes above.  This was completely out of the blue for us, but a very exciting change!

• Like 2

I'm not very far along...

Academics

• Math - Algebra I.. not sure what it will be yet. I have Forester's and Crocodiles and Coconuts so far.
  • Literature - I want to do a short story + literary devices thing. Still planning.
  • History - Renaissance to early modern. Sad about no more OUP so I guess we'll just use K12 Human Odyssey and other supplemental reading and documentaries. Luckily there's lots to choose from in this era.
  • Writing - More essay writing. Maybe Lively Art of Writing. Maybe Writing with a Thesis. 
  • Science - Science Matters and other stuff. Newton at the Center (Hakim)
  • Spanish - Still waiting for the new program I ordered for 6th; if we like it, we will continue it in 7th.
  • Still sorting out things like grammar, vocabulary, etc.

Non academics (outside of house)

• Aerial dance and circus - lots of hours of lessons and working with performance company
  • Chorus and ceramics
  • Volunteering at preschool
  • Park and social time with friends

Ugh. I'm actually bored reading this. So, I need to work harder to make this more interesting. Stay tuned.

Academics

• Math - Algebra I. We are actually starting this in about a month so we'll just continue with it next year.
  • Literature - I want to do a short story + literary devices thing. Still planning. Will do for sure but with her best friend too.
  • History - Renaissance to early modern. Sad about no more OUP so I guess we'll just use K12 Human Odyssey  and other supplemental reading and documentaries. Luckily there's lots to choose from in this era. No change yet
  • Writing - More essay writing. Maybe Lively Art of Writing. Maybe Writing with a Thesis. Still planning.
  • Science - Science Matters and other stuff. Newton at the Center (Hakim) Yes but need more. Still planning
  • Spanish - We started EspaĂƒÂ±ol Santillana and love it so we will continue with 1B next year.
  • Still sorting out things like grammar, vocabulary, etc. Still TBD.

DD also wants to do:

• History of fashion design
  • Hands-on photography (DH and I are experienced enough amateurs to do this together)
  • History of photography
  • More hands-on science so I'm working out microscope and telescope plans
  • Drawing classes--will do the online one that someone shared previously
Edited by deerforest
  • Like 2

I think I've got it sorted!  :)

Math: Finish TT 7 & start Pre-Alg

L.A.:  Winston Grammar, Bravewriter mix, CLE Reading, poetry unit, Mosdos Readers (as read alouds), AAS Level 6/7

Science: Apologia Zoology 3

History:  MoH -- either finishing vol. 1 or moving on to vol.2  (or a bit of both)

Geography:  probably using TFB printouts....

Language:  Possibly starting ASL

Art: probably something I piece together myself

Extras:  swimming, soccer & skating

What am I missing??

• Like 1

Mine are not super set yet either.  I am considering a few things, and I don't know what our co-op will offer, so some depends on that.

So far:

Math, finish R&S 6, start 7.

Science- whatever co-op decides.  We are leaning towards Earth Science of some sort.

Latin- Second Form

Spelling- R&S 6.... eta: there are spelling exercises in the journal mentioned below, so that will be added to her R&S.

English Rod and Staff 6

WWS, when there is time, especially if there is no writing class at co-op.

Criticial Thinking book one

history/lit: WTM style logic stage ancients

Art,PE,scouts, dance, at co-op

***** OK final plans:

science from co-op is the new Jay Wyle classical series.  Except even though we are in ancients, our co-op is actually doing Am. History next year, so the science will be the Science of the Modern Age.  It won't match our history, but that will be fine.  Over the summer I am going to do an Earth Science/Bible unit study I got at convention that I am totally in love with from Reasons To Believe.

and I bought her an amazing resource: The Homeschooler's Handbook a journal for delight directed learning.  These are daily journals that can be used for a whole curric for unschoolers or delight directed currics, and are designed for kids with dyslexia and/or ADHD.  It is perfect for her right brained self.  It will include her copywork, some spelling and art/logic exercises daily, nature journaling daily, and other pages.  We will just modify some of the pages to work for us, and might skip some or let her use them for her own stuff. She and I feel this is going to be a perfect fit for her.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

We school year round so not necessarily a fixed start date. We'll just move into these as we finish other things up.

Math: Math U See Zeta and 1/2 of Pre-Algebra along with Singapore Intensive Practice

Language Arts: Giggles in the Middle for grammar, continuing with W&R for writing, finishing up Apples and Pears for spelling then moving to Logic of English Essentials, Oak Meadow 8th Grade English for literature

Foreign Language: Continue studying French and Latin

History (20 weeks): Ancient Greece using Grueber's text and literature from Beautiful Feet Ancients (2 days a week), 1/2 of Beautiful Feet Early American History for Intermediate with some book substitutions (2 days a week), and read through half of Our Island Story (1 chapter a week, 1 day a week)

Science (20 weeks): Two options: 1) Continue with Quark Chronicles along with supplemental reading and TOPS science units or 2) the Rainbow science Year 1 with supplemental reading. My decision will depend upon how much money I have when it's time to choose. 

I haven't figured out her assigned reading list yet, but it's mostly reading biographies, classic lit, and some non-fiction.

She will also have Power Hour with her younger siblings where we cover Bible, geography, art/music appreciation, and other smaller subjects.

• Like 3

Our Tentative Plans:

Math - Singapore Dimensions 7A

English - Sadlier Vocab, Growing with Grammar 7 (and then 8 - he's halfway through 7 currently), Daily Grams 7

Literature - Lightning Lit 7

Writing - IEW Narnia

Bible - undecided (either another independent Positive Action study or maybe a Beth Moore study for everyone)

Science - AiG Physics (plus labs at co-op)

History - Uncle Sam and You (Government/Civics)

Latin - finishing up GSWL and deciding if we want to progress or set aside

French - continue reinforcing with Pronunciator and assorted French fiction

Logic - looking at Discovery of Deduction (?)

Edited by KellyMama
  • Like 1

How do you like the Pronunciator? Our library just handed me card about the program.

It serves a very specific purpose for us. We are trying to reinforce a four years of French grammar rules and writing by using this program to practice verbal French expression. I love that it "grades" their pronunciation - thumbs up for that. However, it has many flaws not the least of which is the instability of the platform. Our kids have experienced numerous bugs in the program; some the programmers at tech support could fix and other bugs that left them baffled and we had to troubleshoot on our own. :confused1:  I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a complete program for someone to learn a language all the way through, but for vocabulary/expression/repetition it is great!

Edited by KellyMama
  • Like 1

Math: 1985 Dolciani Pre-Algebra with or without Math Mammoth 7 worksheets for extra practice

Leonardo of Pisa and The New Mathematics of the Middle Ages

English: Voyages in English 7 and online enrichment, Writing & Rhetoric Books 4 & 5

Literature: The Sword and the Circle, The Lord of the Rings, The Canterbury Tales, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Prince and the Pauper

Literature Analysis: Figuratively Speaking, Critical Conditioning, one literature analysis guide (not sure which one yet)

Science: Conceptual Integrated Science Explorations and online enrichment, BFSU 3, living science books, Bill Nye The Science Guy videos and Cosmos

History: K12 The Human Odyssey: Prehistory through the Middle Ages (Middle Ages section), What Life Was Like in the Age of Chivalry, lots of historical fiction and biographies, CrashCourse videos

Geography:  50 States (continuation), Family Reference Atlas of the World (NG), The Seven Continents: Europe (finish), South America

Spanish: So You Really Want to Learn Spanish Book 1, Duolingo, Rosetta Stone

Latin: Big Book of Lively Latin 1

Music: Band (w/local public school)

Art: Usborne's Introduction to Art w/Internet links

Poetry: Poetry for Young People Series: William Blake, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and Robert Browning

Edited by sagira
  • Like 1

I'm sure this isn't set in stone, but right now, I think the plan is:

Grammar:           Rod & Staff 6

Writing:               WWS 2 combined with Sentence Composing from Kilgallon

History:               SOTW 3 with several Sonlight readers and adding in History of US (following Guesthollow's schedule)

Science:              No idea, but thinking about Holt Earth Science

Latin:                   Second Form Latin

Literature:            Sonlight readers mentioned above and some WTM suggestions

Math:                   if the rest of the year goes well, Algebra II Saxon.  If he needs to slow down, well, we'll see.

Geography:         I want to cover world geography, but I can't seem to fit it in anywhere, so I'm thinking of adding BYL 7th grade geography and spreading it over his last 2 years of middle school.  Still trying to decide, so we'll see.

I thought I had edited this before, but since I've changed practically everything, I'll just repost when I finally get it all figured out.  I'm enjoying a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th read of TWTM and aligning heavily with that. :)

Let's try this again--funny what a month can do!

Language Arts:     R&S English 6 (grammar only), WWS2 and Kilgallon Sentence Composing, Voc. from Classical Roots A

Literature:              TWTM literature list and will add some more modern books as we can to break it up some

History:                  Nat. Geo Almanac of WH, Jackdaw, primary resources (via TWTM), Critical Thinking in US History

Science:                 99% sure we'll do Elemental Science Earth Science

Math:                     Geometry through tutorial

Spanish:                 Tutorial

Latin:                      Second Form Latin

Logic:                     The Fallacy Detective

Health:                   Total Health (2nd half of book--we're doing it over 2 years)

PE:                        Soccer, Basketball, Tennis, and Baseball

Music and Art:        still working on this

I've started ordering books, so at least most of this has to stay the same!

• Like 1

Bible: KJV (personal devotions)

Math: VT Algebra (cont'd)

Logic: Discovery of Deduction by CAP

Latin: Latin Alive! 1 (cont'd) / 2 (begin)

English: WWS 2 (?) W&R 5 & 6, R&S 9, CAP's Art of Poetry, WWJ

History: Omnibus I

Geography: MP Geography III

Science: BJU Life 7

Arts: Suzuki violin guitar, karate Wing Chun, drawing

Other: archery, coding, whittling

Edited by NCAmusings
  • Like 2

Language Arts: WWS 2, The Lively Art of Writing, grammar?? (using R&S this year and she says it is too easy, not sure if we should continue or try something else), literature??

Math: Crocodiles and Coconuts & ??

Science: finish CPO Earth Science and start life science

History: Connecting with History: Volume 3

Religion: Bible study of a few books (at least one gospel and 1-2+ other books), books written by the saints

Logic: The Argument Builder

Latin: ??

Spanish:  ??

There are quite a few gaps in there.  More than I thought there would be.

ETA: Outside classes:  With our co-op she'll be taking apologetics, schola cantorum (studying music theory, sight singing, and latin chant), science lab, and gym.

At the local yarn shop she'll be taking knitting and other fiber arts classes, usually one of each every semester.

She will also be pre-k ds's main teacher, probably using MFW's new pre-k curriculum.

Some things have changed.  Still working on a few areas.

Language Arts: Elegant Essay, maybe something else for writing once we finish this??, Windows on the World, Grammar??

Math: Crocodiles and Coconuts & The Life and Times of Chuckles the Rocket Dog + BA as it comes it (I think, these are getting to be too easy for dd but she loves them)

Science: Now dd wants chemistry.  Still deciding what we will use.

History: Connecting with History: Volume 3 Late Medieval through Early Exploration

Religion: Chief Truths of the Faith, Church History part 1, plus a few other things

Outside classes:  With our co-op she'll be taking apologetics, schola cantorum (studying music theory, sight singing, and latin chant), science lab, and gym.

At the local yarn shop she'll be taking knitting and other fiber arts classes, usually one of each every semester.

She will also be pre-k ds's main teacher, probably using MFW's new pre-k curriculum.

Tentative schedule. Will update as I hammer things out.

Math: AoPS Prealgebra

Science: The Elements and Carbon Chemistry by McHenry

Language Arts/History/Geography: BYL 7th grade

Latin: need something to follow GSWL

Spanish: need a middle school program

Logic: Art of Argument

PE: Dance

Edited by dancingmama

• 3 weeks later...

GAH!!!  Mine is going to be a 7th grader, too, and I feel so loosey-goosey right now.  Thankful for this thread.  Here are the current plans:

Math:  He ends an online accredited (likely common core) Algebra 1 course this summer and I'm wondering if we should redo AoPS Algebra 1 during the year before moving onto Geometry or Alg 2.  

Writing:  Currently finishing SWI-B and will do Rockets, Radar & Robotics through the summer and then IEW's Elegant Essay through a co-op for the fall (per his current SWI leader's suggestion).  Returning to RRR for spring if we don't do Fix-it with the co-op.

Language Arts/Literature: We're likely to stick with TOG Y3 for literature through an online co-op for discussion, but he is also doing a Dystopian Literature fall semester class online and a Literary Analysis week-long summer camp for middle schoolers.

History:  I personally hate history and he really just enjoys Socratic dialogue for anything--so we will do this through the TOG Y3 virtual co-op along with the literature.

Science:  Taking an in-person Saturday morning course that will give him a year of lab science credit (biology in fall, chem in winter, earth science in spring).  Of course, this assumes he manages the classroom and the workload well for the fall component.  If not, I'm seriously clueless.  We're finishing Apologia Physical Science now with a group we do labs with every 2 weeks.  Maybe we'd go back and do General Science.  He also has an 8-week online class specific to microbes because he'll be doing Science Olympiad again next year and there is a potential microbe event on next year's schedule of events.

Foreign Language:  We need to get back to regular French and Spanish; and find outlets for conversation.  Using Rosetta Stone for both so far.

Latin:  We have never done latin and i have no idea where to start with a 7th grader with no background (other than 2 years of Rosetta Stone French and 1 of Spanish as some kind of baseline).  HALP?!?!

Logic/Philosophy:  I need to find something for this and I'm considering Art of Argument but not positive about it.

Geography:  Considering Mapping the World with Art.

World Cultures and Relgions:  I feel so strongly about covering this with my kids next year and need to figure out how to do it with both a 7th and 2nd grader.  I own Build Your Library's 7th Grade curricula and Sonlight's old "F" with the EHE plus a book on World Religions.  I'm wondering if I could somehow meld all of that together.

Others:

Gavel Club

Martial Arts for PE

Science Olympiad

Boys Choir

possibly Civil Air Patrol but I'm not sure he'll have the time.

• Like 1

Let's try this again--funny what a month can do!

Language Arts:     R&S English 6 (grammar only), WWS2 and Kilgallon Sentence Composing, Voc. from Classical Roots A

Literature:              TWTM literature list and will add some more modern books as we can to break it up some

History:                  Nat. Geo Almanac of WH, Jackdaw, primary resources (via TWTM), Critical Thinking in US History

Science:                 99% sure we'll do Elemental Science Earth Science

Math:                     Geometry through tutorial

Spanish:                 Tutorial

Latin:                      Second Form Latin

Logic:                     The Fallacy Detective

Health:                   Total Health (2nd half of book--we're doing it over 2 years)

PE:                        Soccer, Basketball, Tennis, and Baseball

Music and Art:        still working on this

I've started ordering books, so at least most of this has to stay the same!

I know I read in the updated WTM thread that most think Jackdaws are expensive and that the same materials can be found online for free, but I have to say we did one this year and loved it.  It was a nice break from the regular read SOTW, KHE, then outline, read library books, write a summary, do a timeline and map routine. :) The kids really enjoyed it.  It was a great way to start the year.  Which one are you looking at? We did the American Revolution one for middle school.

Math: AoPS Intro to Algebra

LA: ELTL 5/6, and maybe finish WWS1 (he's a third of the way through it)

Science: Finish Apologia General Science, then maybe the science in Wayfarers

History: Finish Biblioplan Medieval and I'm leaning towards Wayfarers for Early Modern

• Like 1

I know I read in the updated WTM thread that most think Jackdaws are expensive and that the same materials can be found online for free, but I have to say we did one this year and loved it.  It was a nice break from the regular read SOTW, KHE, then outline, read library books, write a summary, do a timeline and map routine. :) The kids really enjoyed it.  It was a great way to start the year.  Which one are you looking at? We did the American Revolution one for middle school.

I haven't purchased the Jackdaw yet, but plan to use the ones recommended in TWTM.  I'm only going to buy one to start, though, b/c they ARE expensive and I want to make sure we'll use them and get good info from them.

I've found some great online sources recommended here that I never knew existed, so we've been using them for the 2nd half of this year. 

Okay, I finally found it!  

Idk why I love posting in these threads lol...

The current plan for my oldest, going into 7th (we're officially finishing the school year on Tuesday!  woohoo!):

Grammar: Language Lessons for the Secondary Child, Volume 2 + Elementary Diagramming Worktext

Reading/Lit: List from TWTM, a few YWAM biographies

Writing: Writing With Skill 1

Vocab: Vocabulary from Classical Roots A & B

History: WTM 7th grade history

Logic: Traditional Logic 1

Math: MUS Pre-Algebra

Science: Apologia General Science

Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, 3rd book

Foreign Language: Irasshai Japanese

ETA:  Didn't list extracurriculars because I don't consider anything other than art appreciation (for which we use SCM Artist Portfolios all together) to be part of our school plans lol - they play the sports they choose, we may or may not have PE or other classes going on, etc.  

Edited by PeacefulChaos

CLE Math 7 (& 8?)

ELTL 5/6

R&S English 7

Classical Composition Cheria

BJU Life Science, online...maybe

a book by Tiner, her choice (written or oral narration)

SOTW 4 w/ BF's Modern America and World reading list

Mills' Book of the Ancient World & Book of the Ancient Greeks (written or oral narration?)

Iliad/Odyssey (maybe with a student guide?)

Discovering the World of Geography 6-7

OSU German I online

Second Form Latin, maybe

Traditional Logic 1, maybe

CLE math 7

Apologia (her choice) w/ notebook journal

reading list

maybe Latin, maybe German

Analytical Grammar

As a family: VP history cards, geography club, poetry club, book club, copywork/dictation/freewrite

Or something.  I've got to simplify.

• Like 1

I'm slowly working on this. :)

Writing: We're going to finish up WWS1 and go onto WWS2.  I've been really happy with it.

Math: Finishing up Jousting Armadillos over the summer.  May take AOPS Pre-Algebra online, not sure.

Grammar: I'm thinking of making 7th my big grammar year with Shurley or Hake or we may just ramp up Latin and call that grammar.

Science: Most likely will do FLVS (Virtual school online.)

History:  Thinking of doing ancients along with MP's Famous Men of Rome, as I bought it and never used it this year.

Looking at Art of Argument or Fallacy Detective.... and a foreign language of DS1's choosing.  (He's leaning towards French right now.) 

• Like 1

Some things have changed.  Still working on a few areas.

Language Arts: Elegant Essay, maybe something else for writing once we finish this??, Windows on the World, Grammar??

Math: Crocodiles and Coconuts & The Life and Times of Chuckles the Rocket Dog + BA as it comes it (I think, these are getting to be too easy for dd but she loves them)

Science: Now dd wants chemistry.  Still deciding what we will use.

History: Connecting with History: Volume 3 Late Medieval through Early Exploration

Religion: Chief Truths of the Faith, Church History part 1, plus a few other things

Outside classes:  With our co-op she'll be taking apologetics, schola cantorum (studying music theory, sight singing, and latin chant), science lab, and gym.

More changes:

Language Arts: The Lively Art of Writing with workbook from the Hive, Windows on the World with full year syllabus, Lingua Mater

Math: Crocodiles and Coconuts & The Life and Times of Chuckles the Rocket Dog + BA as it comes out

Science: Apologia Chemistry

Religion: Chief Truths of the Faith, Church History part 1, Bible study of at least one gospel, Prayer Primer

Latin: still working on this one

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI
  • Like 1

Two months later:

Saxon Algebra I w/ Alcumus

WTMA Prealgebra (AOPS) w/Alcumus

FLVS H Physical Science w/ TOPS

Elemental Science Logic Level Chemistry

CLRC Intermediate Latin I or MP online First Form Latin 

CLRC Latin I (Oxford Latin I)

WTMA Story of Modern Times

TC History of the United States

Build Your Library 7 - World Geography (also includes lit)

FLVS Adv US History

CTC US History Detective I / TC History of the United States

WTMA Socratic Discussion (Fall)

WTMA Geography (Spring) 

Hake Grammar 8

WTMA Writing With Skill 2

Lightning Literature 8

Megawords

FLVS Intro to Information Technology (started now, hoping to finish over the summer)

Crew, triathlon team, fitness training

Edited by Melissa B

Wow...I haven't posted on this board in ages, but I'm back.  With an upcoming 7th grader (how'd that happen) and my 4th coming home for K, I've decided I need to focus on school and this board helps me do that.  So in the interest of focus, here's what I have planned for next year:

Math: AOPS Alg1 (ch 1-13), AOPS C&P

Writing: Finish WWS1/Start WWS2 (we jumped ship from W&R so started mid year)

Grammar: Hake 7

Vocab: VfCR A

Spelling/Reading Comprehension: Review through SWR

History/Lit/Bible: Sonlight Core G

Latin: Finish First Form/ Start Second Form

Logic: Fallacy Detective/Thinking Toolbox/Art of Argument (working through summer and into schoolyear)

Programming: Finish KidCoder/Start TeenCoder

Art:  Not sure...I have a lot of stuff and need to use it...might take a class from an artist friend

Music: Drum lessons (against my better judgement)

ExtraCurric:  Boy Scouts, Lacrosse, Soccer, Robotics Club

• Like 1

I'll jump in with this!

DD will be in the enrichment program she attended K-5 again this year, three days a week. Her program there will include:

Tu-Th (9:30AM-2PM):

"Teens in Teaching" which is a mentorship program where the older junior high students work with elementary students;

"Election 2016" which falls under social studies, though she is waitlisted for Fashion and Design that hour;

"Math Quest" which is a computer-based math enrichment class;

"Literature of Roald Dahl" which is self-explanatory.

On Wednesdays she will attend from 8:30-3:25, and will have the following classes:

"Write On!" which will include focuses on poetry, journaling, and a five paragraph expository essay;

"Technology is My Bag" which will provide advanced work with Microsoft Office and involves editing the program's yearbook;

"Ukeleles, Handbells, Recorders and More" which is a music class;

"Advanced Drawing/Ceramics and Painting" which is an art class

P.E.

"Scientific Models/Engineering and Our Future" which is a science class

"Mind Over Math" which is a self-paced, game-based and small group math enrichment class

One of either art, music, or PE will be replaced with Beginning Orchestra (no idea which yet).

At home, we will be doing:

Math: Math on the Level

Study skills: STEPS (formerly Connect the Thoughts) courses.

Science: As of right now, the plan is for DD to do experiment-based physics using DH's college physics for nonmajors lab book and kit that we have on hand.

Language arts: the main thing that I will be adding to what she's doing in the enrichment program will be spelling, at her request. I'm leaning towards using STEPS for that as well.

DD also wants to work on geography; I have't settled on something for that yet. Most likely I'll dig out what we already have on hand and let her pick from that.

For the 7th grader...

Finish up Singapore Math and start Jacob's Algebra, likely will have Keys to Algebra along side. Add in Khan Academy Statistics

Spelling Workout G

Vocabulary from the classical roots

Fix It! for Grammar

Jump In for writing

interest led for everything else, but I have some books selected to require as well as DVDs and cd's for the car.

Continuing the ballet

Might have French, but the class has not had enough people enroll yet, so this depends on enrollment.

Here are my plans... which are subject to change!! LOL

Bible - Rod and Staff 7

Math - Saxon Alg 1/2

Language Arts 

English - Rod and Staff 7

Spelling - Rod and Staff 7

Writing - WTMA Writing with Skill 1

Reading/Literature - CLE Reading 7 and literature scheduled in Notgrass From Adam to Us  

History - Notgrass From Adam to Us

Science - Apologia General Science

Logic - Art of Argument

I am still wavering on the History.  I may go with Biblioplan Y2 but cannot decide! Ugh...  My daughter wants to do the Notgrass. It is quick and easy to implement and she loves the pictures;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here goes:

Math: Math Mammoth, Simple Solutions

Spelling, Vocab, Grammar: VFCR, EM's Academic Vocab, Giggly Guide, Grammar Keepers, Write Source.

Writing: Mix of Write Source, Holt's Elements of Language, Writing & Rhetoric, Eggers, various prompts. 

Reading: MosDos. Some poetry and 5-6 TBD assigned novels. Maybe one Shakespeare in bits? The rest is at-will. 

Spanish: Destinos!! Super-excited about it. Also Carson Dellosa workbooks, Duo Lingo, Practice Makes Perfect workbook; live discussions with mom and friends. 

Music: flute

Homeroom: revolving weekly discussions on logic, history, finance, leadership: Philosophy for Kids, Fallacy Detective, Story of Science, Story of the World, various leadership and finance books

Coding: TBD, Photoshop course likely, but whatever she chooses here

US History: Story of US, Zinn

Science: Holt Life Science and CPO Life Science with deep dives into Oceanography and Anatomy / Brain. Tinkercrate for fun. 

Art: local painting class

Other stuff: Parkour class, horseback riding, adventure club activities

It all fits so nicely in the planner. Will be interesting to see how it actually pans out...

Edited by dori123
  • Like 1

This topic has been insightful as I will have my first 7th grader come fall. I've been most interested in the science choices and trends, but remain undecided in that category. Thanks to all who have posted!

Bible and History:

MFW 1850s to Modern Times

Made for Work 

Language Arts:

Fix it! Grammar

Daily Grammar or Easy Grammar

IEW US History Based Writing

followed by one of these: IEW Following Narnia, Rockets, Radars and Robots or How to Write a Story

Science:

TBD but this year I will give him a few choices and let him decide

Math:

I am finally doing what I've always wanted to, but was afraid to fully jump so far from the regular way of doing things. I've been a math nerd and tutor for almost 20 years, so I can hang with most programs an make them work for any kid, but I want math to be thorough AND fun!:

Life of Fred Decimals, Fractions & Percents, PreAlgebra 0,1,2 (and continue if he finishes and understands all the math in these before the year is up)

Khan Academy 15-20 min daily

PE:

jiu jitsu

swim

kids get dirty in the 'hood

Charter school enrichment classes:

Literature Enrichment

Writing Workshop

Industrial Arts

Entrepreneurship

Multimedia

Performance Art

Chess

Ok- so our family dynamic is changing.  Dh is working outside the home for the first time in six years.  This means I will be transporting oldest ds to his cottage schools for Art, Spanish, Choir and English 10.  In light of that, all my plans may be like the best laid ones of mice and men.  However, this is the plan and it is what I will attempt.  Keep in mind, we will be going to co-op on Monday forenoons, taking oldest ds to cottage school Tuesday forenoons, seventh grader to band Wednesday forenoons, the whole family to Bible study on Thursday forenoons, and the oldest to another cottage school on Friday afternoons.  So we will be doing some car schooling or something.

Math: Singapore 5b, 6a, 6b, Life of Fred Prealgebra with Physics 0

Writing: Thinking IEW Early American, Level B (depends on co-op)

Grammar: Rod and Staff 6

History, Reading, Literature, Poetry, Art, Written Language (spelling, vocab, etc):  Build Your Library 5 (Early American, uses Hakim History of US 1-5)

Science: Thinking Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage (depends on co-op)

Music: Band (third year of trumpet)

Bible: Community Bible Study (1 and 2 Corinthians)

Thinking of starting Spanish as well.

Also planning on a Shark Unit Study and Hobbit Unit Study via Build Your Library.

ELA: Grammar-MCT the magic lens. Writing-Classical Writer Homer. Reading- Various classical books. Logic-Critical Thinking book one.

Science: Chemistry-Ellen Mchenry's the elements and carbon chemistry, along with Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia. The Golden Book chemistry experiments and Fizz, Bubble, and Flash

History: DK History, National Geographic Eyewitness to History, and various other books to fill in any gaps in people and voyages.

Math: Saxon Pre Algebra

Other: Sex Education studies appropriate for DDs age. Emotional management studies appropriate for her age. Viola. Art History based on interest.

Oh and creative writing using the five finger method book! Excited about this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by floresandie

7th grade plans so far:

Math: Pre Algebra using AGS Algebra book with workbook

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

Writing: WWS1 and the new creative writer book as a group 1 day/week

Vocab: TBD maybe EFTRU or Vocab vines or VFCR

Grammar: TBD maybe JR Analytical Grammar with DD10

Lit: How to read literature like a Professor for kids, American Lit list

Logic: Combo from CTC and/or prufrock press

As a group:

History: American history to 1900 using History of US and living books with notebooking/outlines (next year will be US and world history 1900 to today)

Science: Zoology, Anatomy and Botany with notebooking/outlines

Geography: USA

Artist Studies

Bit of Government (Election) and Economics

Maybe a minecraft class or two

Math: AoPS Intro to Algebra

LA: ELTL 5/6, and maybe finish WWS1 (he's a third of the way through it)

Science: Finish Apologia General Science, then maybe the science in Wayfarers

History: Finish Biblioplan Medieval and I'm leaning towards Wayfarers for Early Modern

Ended up switching to Wayfarers for Medieval at the end of last year, so we'll do that for 7th (we're on week 5). I gave him a choice of finishing General Science or doing the science in Wayfarers. He chose General Science. So he'll do that twice a week and finish in March.

AoPS and ELTL 5/6 will stay the same.

Since we're doing Wayfarers, we're including Feed My Sheep for art and Art of Argument for logic. I think there was an economics book in there somewhere as well.

Extracurricular = hockey, hockey, and more hockey :)

These threads always stress me out because I realize how many decisions I have left to make!  Here is where we are right now:

Spelling - Wordly Wise 4

Composition - WWS 2

Grammar - Rod & Staff English 7

Literature - A Beka seventh grade literature + undecided novel studies

Math - Algebra (need to decide on a program)

Science - Earth Science (need to decide on a program)

History - K12 HO (Modern History); Need to find a program that covers 1914-current

Yearlong drama class

I finally have a plan for my 7th grade dd. She is the hardest for me somehow!

Math - math u see prealgebra
Language arts- Essentials in writing 7, easy grammar plus, Calvert discoveries in reading
Science- BJU science 
History- SOTW 4 with AG
Literature (extra) - Beautiful feet horse lit pkg

Horseback riding lessons
Piano, clarinet and violin lessons
Choir at church

Volunteer - church nursery and
one day a week at the horse ranch

Edited by Peacefulisle

I think I've got it sorted!  :)

Math: Finish TT 7 & start Pre-Alg, Evan Moor Word Problems

L.A.:  Winston Grammar, Bravewriter/BJU/Writing Skills mix, CLE Reading, poetry unit, Mosdos Readers (as read alouds), AAS Level 6/7

Science: Apologia Zoology 3

History:  Loosely following MoH -- either finishing vol. 1 or moving on to vol.2  (with lots of add-ins)

Geography:  probably using TFB printouts....

Language:  Possibly starting ASL

Art: something I piece together myself

Health: A Beka

Logic, Computers, Music - using Easy Peasy

Extras:  swimming, soccer & skating

What am I missing??

ok, I think I have it sorted - for real this time. ;)

Edited by Jess4879
  • Like 1

Academics

• Math - Algebra I. We are actually starting this in about a month so we'll just continue with it next year.
  • Literature - I want to do a short story + literary devices thing. Still planning. Will do for sure but with her best friend too.
  • History - Renaissance to early modern. Sad about no more OUP so I guess we'll just use K12 Human Odyssey  and other supplemental reading and documentaries. Luckily there's lots to choose from in this era. No change yet
  • Writing - More essay writing. Maybe Lively Art of Writing. Maybe Writing with a Thesis. Still planning.
  • Science - Science Matters and other stuff. Newton at the Center (Hakim) Yes but need more. Still planning
  • Spanish - We started EspaĂƒÂ±ol Santillana and love it so we will continue with 1B next year.
  • Still sorting out things like grammar, vocabulary, etc. Still TBD.

DD also wants to do:

• History of fashion design
  • Hands-on photography (DH and I are experienced enough amateurs to do this together)
  • History of photography
  • More hands-on science so I'm working out microscope and telescope plans
  • Drawing classes--will do the online one that someone shared previously

Don't mind me.. just talking to myself:

This summer we are doing:

• Fashion design (I found a textbook, several other books, bought a serger to supplement her sewing machine and found her a mentor)
  • Photography -- DH and she are working through a book and Great Courses course together 
  • Spanish -- continuing with Spanish IA from Santillana and should finish 1A over the summer.
  • Math -- lots of living math (games, Asimov books, Math Girls books, word problems, puzzles)
  • Random science -- anything any of us wants to do
  • Writing -- finishing Lively Art of Writing
  • She's also a junior camp counselor at 4 different camps and has a few performances

The 2016-2017 academic year:

• Math - Algebra I - Foerster
  • Literature - Mosdos Jade level. I might regret trying yet another curriculum, but we often do okay if it's not specifically designed for homeschoolers. It just includes many of my favorite works so I took a chance. 
  • History - Renaissance to early modern. Have since found loads of options so I feel better about this now.
  • Writing - Will be finished with Lively Art of Writing this summer (started earlier than planned). Still working on a custom plan. Focus will be on non-fiction essay writing for sure.
  • Spanish - EspaĂƒÂ±ol Santillana 1B for sure
  • Still sorting out things like grammar, vocabulary, etc. Still TBD.  Not doing anything separate. I have enough resources that if it's obvious she needs to review something, we have the resources to use..
  • Logic of argument, persuasiveness, skepticism -- new idea I had recently and still sorting through all the proposed resources.

We are planned. I ended up planning everything on a spreadsheet except math, because I bought the TE. I think I have around 40 + hours in planning. I don't think I'll take this much planning on again after this year.

Early Modern History and Literature with K12 Human Odyssey 2 (and workbooks) and about 12 fiction and nonfiction books. Narration, Dictation (typed) Commonplace book (handwritten), Windows to the World, and Let's Eat Fifi.

Dolciani Algebra

First Form Latin

Breaking the Barrier Spanish/ Duolingo/ BrainPop

Biology with two textbooks and several other nonfiction resources... which I managed to tie into Language Arts.

DC is happy. She's a box checker. I made it pretty flexible with bunny trail time, and I think it will work well.

This is our second year choosing our curriculum. Pulled DS for 5th grade and did FLVS full time.

I am learning so much from everyone's posts. For 7th we have:

Science: Apologia General

Math: Saxon Algebra 1 with DIVE

History: Notgrass Uncle Sam and You

Literature: literature from Uncle Sam along with some off the BraveWriter Boomerang list

Vocabulary: College Prep Genius SAT prep

Grammar: this is where I am second guessing myself. I have Rod and Staff 7. He completed 6 last year and found it easy. Looking at 7 it seems to cover everything 6 did.

Writing: he struggles. We took last year off with just minimal writing. Writing was a horrible experience in PS so he needs confidence building. Looking for suggestions. Thinking of using BraveWriter online classes.

Extra: PE with a homeschool group weekly, computer coding classes online, 4H robotics club.

Edited by ldkgates

I've been thinking about this a lot this week. I've been looking ahead to what I want high school to look like (even ventured over to the high school board - scary!) and talking to DD about what she might want to do, what her interests are, and what she expects high school to be like. I checked out the requirements for a diploma in our state too. They're going up from 20 credits to 25 - not that we have to follow their requirements as homeschoolers. I'm trying to get a list together of things to look at at our convention in April.

Here's where I'm at so far but nothing is set in stone:

Bible: Who is God? series, Bible reading and memorization

Math: Thinking about SM 6a&b, LOF Fractions, Decimals and Percents, and Pre-algebra, or another pre-algebra course. I have a lot to figure out here.

Writing: IEW I have the TWSS and have been making up my own lessons from that. I may try the SWI or a theme book this year though.

Grammar: LLATL or ELTL

Spelling: Spelling Power

Literature: Book lists from SCM, WTM, or wherever I find them, maybe a lit guide or two, poet study, read and memorize poetry, basically not really sure yet with this one

History: SOTW 2, 3, and 4 over 7th and 8th grades with added book choices to beef it up for middle school

Fine Arts: Piano lessons and music theory, art as interested (current interests are knitting, crocheting, sewing, drawing), artist and composer study

PE: Karate 2x/week, maybe get into running. We all need more physical activity around here!

Logic: ? Not sure if we're doing it this year or not

Foreign Language: Spanish and/or ASL most likely. Curriculum TBD

I think that's about it. It's an intimidating list for us but there's still quite a few details to work out. Hopefully I can turn this into a workable schedule that won't have her totally overwhelmed. I'm trying to ramp up the expectations a bit for the end of 6th so that she has a chance to get used to a heavier work load before we start 7th.

Updating because my plans are finalized...at least, I hope they are. This week I ordered and received all of our books for next year. :-P I may order a few supplemental things but I'll have to go through everything first to see if I need anything else.

Bible: Same as above.

Math: Singapore 6A (finish) and 6B. We are doing LOF Fractions and (hopefully) Decimals and Percents this summer. I anticipate finishing SM 6B early in the year so I will have to figure out where to go next but I'm set for a few months.

Writing: IEW using TWSS to come up with my own lessons from our other subjects.

Spelling: same as above

Grammar: IEW Fix-It Levels 1 and 2

Literature: Book lists from SCM, poet study and memorization

History: Same as above

Science: Same as above

Arts: Piano and Music Theory, artist study, Drawing With Children

PE: Karate

Foreign Language: Spanish with La Clase Divertida and Duo Lingo

I think that'll do it. Let the lesson planning begin!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally have a plan for my 7th grade dd. She is the hardest for me somehow!

Math - math u see prealgebra

Language arts- Essentials in writing 7, easy grammar plus, Calvert discoveries in reading

Science- BJU science

History- SOTW 4 with AG

Literature (extra) - Beautiful feet horse lit pkg

Horseback riding lessons

Piano, clarinet and violin lessons

Choir at church

Volunteer - church nursery and

one day a week at the horse ranch

Changing this up a bit

Math - math u see zeta and prealgebra

Grammar - Voyages in English 7

Writing- EIW 7

Literature- beautiful feet and Calvert

Science - apologia

History - SOTW 4

Outsourced art lessons

Intermediate band

Beginner strings

Horseback riding lessons and volunteer

Church choir/ and advanced children's choir

Edited by Peacefulisle
  • Like 1

CLE math 7

Apologia (her choice) w/ notebook journal

reading list

maybe Latin, maybe German

Analytical Grammar

As a family: VP history cards, geography club, poetry club, book club, copywork/dictation/freewrite

Or something. I've got to simplify.

Here is the real deal, at least for the first month of school. It's a lot of video teachers, so well see how that goes.

Cle math 7

BJU Life Science online

Excellence in writing 6

Online civics and literature classes from liahona academy

Book club

And then family stuff: German, read alouds, art study, bravewriter

Yes, mine has changed slightly too:

Mine is doing:

Math: Rod and Staff 6, move into grade 7 after Christmas

English: Rod and Staff 5, finish it around Christmas and move into 6

Latin: August: finish First Form. Sept: start Second Form with co-op

Spanish: Easy Step by Step Spanish for grammar once a week, Easy Peasy for day to day conversational

Thinking Tree journal: love this resource. 45 min. daily of copywork, nature journaling, free reading (from mom and dd selected books, one science, one health, one Bible, one her choice, 15 min. of each on those days,) and other activities.

Spelling: we are really trying something new here. I bought Master the Top 150 Misspelled Words from Dyslexia Games. Using it with spelling tiles and some dictionary work.

Science: Aug: finish a unit study from Reasons to Believe that we have done over the summer. It has a lot of Earth science topics and some animal and nature science. Sept: start Science in the Age of Reason with co-op

History/Lit: WTM style Ancients study and using Classical House of Learning Literature loosely. Lots of read alouds from library books.

Art and Music Appreciation, PE class, and something else at co-op (can't remember! It will be a fun only class.) Dance and scouts as extra curriculars.