Menu

2016-2017 7th grade plan

Language Arts: WWS 2, The Lively Art of Writing, grammar?? (using R&S this year and she says it is too easy, not sure if we should continue or try something else), literature??

Math: Crocodiles and Coconuts & ??

Science: finish CPO Earth Science and start life science

History: Connecting with History: Volume 3

Religion: Bible study of a few books (at least one gospel and 1-2+ other books), books written by the saints

Logic: The Argument Builder

Latin: ??

Spanish:  ??

There are quite a few gaps in there.  More than I thought there would be.

ETA: Outside classes:  With our co-op she'll be taking apologetics, schola cantorum (studying music theory, sight singing, and latin chant), science lab, and gym.

At the local yarn shop she'll be taking knitting and other fiber arts classes, usually one of each every semester.

She will also be pre-k ds's main teacher, probably using MFW's new pre-k curriculum.

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI
  • Like 2

My plans are also not very definite. A lot of it depends on how the rest of the current year goes. But so far I have:

TT 7 or Pre-A (I plan on giving him the placement test. We're coming from MM and not sure where he'll place) ETA: He placed in 7 so we're going with that.

Easy Grammar 6 (he's doing R&S 5 right now so we're working a year behind in grammar and I don't want to continue with R&S) Going to try out LLATL Green instead.

WTM-style writing (outlines, rewrites, lit essays but I'm going to have him continue doing narrations as well)

R&S Spelling 7 (just for the word lists basically)

The Fallacy Detective

Science.... don't really know. Maybe Apologia General if he wants to; maybe just more God's Design books of his choice. ETA: Today he told me he wants to do Intro to Meteorology & Astronomy. Weeks after deciding on that, he couldn't remember that conversation and doesn't want to do astronomy. So Apologia General it is.

Ancient history using R&S

Lamb's Book of Art 1  This kid hates art so I am not going to require it anymore.

ETA: The final plan (hopefully).

Edited by hollyhock
  • Like 3

This already changed from another thread, but here is the final plan:

Veritas Press Omnibus 1, self paced

Historical fiction from Sonlight Core G

Story of Science - Aristotle leads the way

(And maybe keep going with these)

Timer Biology

(Maybe Chemistry and or Physics too)

Latina Christiana 1

AoPS PreAlgebra

Art of Argument

MCT Town level

Code Academy - finish Java, and start another course

Boyscouts

Start an instrument: Cello or Guitar

• Like 1

This already changed from another thread, but here is the final plan:

Veritas Press Omnibus 1, self paced

Historical fiction from Sonlight Core G

Story of Science - Aristotle leads the way

(And maybe keep going with these)

Timer Biology

(Maybe Chemistry and or Physics too)

Latina Christiana 1

AoPS PreAlgebra

Art of Argument

MCT Town level

Code Academy - finish Java, and start another course

Boyscouts

Start an instrument: Cello or Guitar

New Elementary Math

Novare Physical Science

MP Classical Studies - Iliad & Odyssey

MP Story of the 13 Colonies/Great Republic

MP Literature 7A/8M

Third Form Latin

Classical Composition Refutation/Confirmation

Analytical Grammar Season 2

Faith & Life with BC2

Math and science are still up in the air a bit. I have AOPS, NEM & Dolciani, but I am leaning towards NEM. We will have used Singapore through 6B and it has worked well for us. I am ordering the Novare Physical Science text and plan to preview it over the summer. I really like the Novare physics first sequence, so I am hoping we can handle physical science in 7th. She will do several classes with the MP OL Academy. This child needs deadlines and the OL classes are the best way to get her to comply.

• Like 1

I go back and forth on what I should do for my daughter next year for seventh. She is the type that takes instruction better from someone else, like an online course or courses like MUS or EIW. I really would love to do a more relaxed year with her, and teach her without video instruction,but I want to keep our relationship sweet too.hmmm. Decisions.

• Like 2

I thought I had all my plans laid out for my 7th grader, but then I ordered her history book and found out it was only half the size of the 2 previous K12 Human Odyssey books. Whoops. I had planned on a year-long study of modern history, but this last book won't take dd more than 3 months. I know we could stretch it out with rabbit trails, but dd doesn't want to do that since she thinks 20th century history is depressing. Instead, I told her we could do a semester study of any history period she's interested in, so now she wants to do an in-depth study of the Elizabethan period and read lots of Shakespeare plays. I think it's going to be lots of fun, but now I have to do more research and planning to pull it together.

Tentative plan at this point:

Math: Foerster's Algebra with the Math without Borders videos

English: Writing Sentences & Writers Inc

Literature: Modern literature for the 1st sem & an in-depth Shakespeare study for the 2nd semester (still working on these lists)

History: K12 Human Odyssey 3 for the 1st sem & an in-depth study of the Elizabethan period for the 2nd sem (still working on a list)

Science: Story of Science: Einstein & physical science w/real books & TOPS labs

Latin: Latin Alive 2

French: Online class (probably Potter's School)

Music: Piano & harp lessons

Extra: Ballet

• Like 4

I'm right in the middle of planning for the fall. Dd will probably do some of this with me and some via online classes:

Math: Geometry (need to decide on text)

Science: Physical Science or Physics

Chinese: Chinese II using Integrated Chinese

Latin: Latin 1 using Wheelock's

History: WTM Medieval History

English: R&S English 8, WWS 2, and Lightning Lit 7&8

• Like 2

Tentative plan for my rising 7th grader:

Math: AoPS calculus
Literature: Romeo & Juliet (online)
Science: Chemistry with textbook and Labpaq kit for hands-on
LOTE: German (classroom), Chinese class (online)
Music: Cello (private instructor)
Art: class at art center
History: world history with DS10
Music theory: music center
Programming: probably try out Edhesive

Edited by Arcadia

As I said in the Gen. Ed. planning thread, NOT YET!

I do like thinking in general terms though. My hope is that ds will be finished with pre-algebra and will be starting algebra I. He has had a long anxiety ridden school detour. I hope the other ds will be doing Dolciani Pre-Algebra.

We'll probably be finishing up some of the things from BW's Faltering Ownership. We'll definitely be doing more BW style language arts.

And... that's it. We'll continue doing more project work, but I have no idea what the kids will want to study. This year's long dinosaurs and evolution project was a surprise to me. I hope next year has a fun surprise too.

• Like 3

For my dd:

Math- ((Saxon Algebra 1/2))- changed to Larson McDougal Littel Pre Alg

English/Lit/Comp- outsourced locally

history- outsourced locally

Science: ((Apologia general)) changed to Physical

Spanish: Duolingo

We are finally letting dd drop piano. She is 12.5 and knows her mind now.

--she's taking up guitar---

Probably not do ymca swim team after all - it's a huge germ vector and practices are late at night. Seems like exercising at home, walking and biking makes more sense

4H Archery and Sewing and maybe more

AHG- we got into a troop finally!!!

It has become very clear where my dd's long term interests are, which are hands on things, art, sewing- these are things she pursues on her own, learns on her own, shares, makes money from ans enjoys. So dropping piano will allow her more time to focus on her own interests. :)

She hates seat work and is looking forward to outsourced classes at least for the social aspect and she likes to work for teachers and show she has done her work through the week. :)

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 2

I am completely undecided about Lit/comp/poetry and history... Possibly AO Year 7 or A Mind in the Light Year 7. I keep looking at Omnibus but... the sample makes me excited and frustrated at the same time.

Math- we will finish Pre-A and start Algebra, probably Foersters

Art- The Virtual Instructor classes, one morning of extended time weekly and continue picture study rotation with youngers

Music- piano, composer study rotation

French- continue with tutor and duolingo, take an online class

Science- we are moving to gardening zone 9 so thinking in depth botany study to go along with extensive gardening? Maybe tie in genetics? Need to research this more

Bible- daily reading, Tozer's The Pursut of God and Lewis's The Great Divorce

Wow I feel like I'm missing a lot... Too much else going on right now

• Like 2

New Elementary Math

Novare Physical Science

MP Classical Studies - Iliad & Odyssey

MP Story of the 13 Colonies/Great Republic

MP Literature 7A/8M

Third Form Latin

Analytical Grammar Season 2

Faith & Life with BC2

Math and science are still up in the air a bit. I have AOPS, NEM & Dolciani, but I am leaning towards NEM. We will have used Singapore through 6B and it has worked well for us. I am ordering the Novare Physical Science text and plan to preview it over the summer. I really like the Novare physics first sequence, so I am hoping we can handle physical science in 7th. She will do several classes with the MP OL Academy. This child needs deadlines and the OL classes are the best way to get her to comply.

Which classes will you enroll her in?
  • Like 1

Simplifying things this year.

Oak Meadow 7 for World History, English, Earth Science

AOPS Pre Algebra (hoping this will be a good fit)

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Perplexors or some other logic puzzle

Not sure if I will need to add anything else for writing, etc.

Competitive tennis training 5-6 days/week

• Like 1

I'm normally further along with my planning at this point.

We're doing a History of Science study next year. I know I'm using parts of Build Your Library's program but there is a lot of tweaking to be done. (Nothing wrong with the program but it is for 8th graders and my 7th grader is immature and dyslexic.)

Something very easy for Algebra. I'm just not sure what yet.

Co-op classes for the arts.

Which classes will you enroll her in?

She will take:

Middle School Lit II

Classical Studies I

Third Form Latin

I am debating about Middle School US History. The original plan was composition only starting in 5th grade, but she wouldn't keep up with her reading so we added literature. The deadlines worked well for her so we added history and Latin this year.

I'm not very far along...

Academics

• Math - Algebra I.. not sure what it will be yet. I have Forester's and Crocodiles and Coconuts so far.
  • Literature - I want to do a short story + literary devices thing. Still planning.
  • History - Renaissance to early modern. Sad about no more OUP so I guess we'll just use K12 Human Odyssey and other supplemental reading and documentaries. Luckily there's lots to choose from in this era.
  • Writing - More essay writing. Maybe Lively Art of Writing. Maybe Writing with a Thesis. 
  • Science - Science Matters and other stuff. Newton at the Center (Hakim)
  • Spanish - Still waiting for the new program I ordered for 6th; if we like it, we will continue it in 7th.
  • Still sorting out things like grammar, vocabulary, etc.

Non academics (outside of house)

• Aerial dance and circus - lots of hours of lessons and working with performance company
  • Chorus and ceramics
  • Volunteering at preschool
  • Park and social time with friends

Ugh. I'm actually bored reading this. So, I need to work harder to make this more interesting. Stay tuned.

Edited by deerforest
  • Like 2

This isn't set in stone.

French-Ecoutez, Parlez Books 3,4(CAP French Primer A. We should finish with Ecoutez, Parlez by the end of our summer session)

Latin-Third Form Latin

Math-CLE 600 level with Key to Decimals 1-4 

Composition-Not sure yet. May be MCT Essay Voyage with Magic Lens grammar; or adapt CW Maxim to something doable. I love CW, but Maxim is just a little much for the boys. If I stay with CW this year, I'll probably stay with Harvey's Grammar and Glencoe Diagramming. I also want to use the Creative Writer in some way. (Continuing with CW Homer for one more year. I think we still have depths to reach with narrative work. I plan on using the short stories for literature as the models, incorporating more analysis and imitation of the literary elements. We already grab our spelling and vocabulary from our models and will continue to do that. I found a very interesting book of essays (Breakfast on Mars) that I want to use to help demonstrate the pleasure that can be found in reading and writing essays. We will stay with Harvey's for grammar and continue on to Glencoe Diagramming for High School at a slow pace.)

Literature-Short Stories with Analysis. I'm making this up for the boys. I've kind of got my weird way of doing it; the idea is to prepare them for literary essays later on. I'll likely use Figuratively Speaking in my planning as well as Tobias 20 Master Plots and How to Build Them(Short stories get moved to composition, so I'll probably just call this Reading and pick a few books to have them read as we go.)

History-OUP Age of Voyages, Age of Science and Revolutions; I don't know what else. Might use K-12's Human Odyssey or hit the library

Geography-MP Geo 3

Science-Probably Prentice Hall Science Explorer Physical Science titles and a chemistry set

Logic-maybe. Thinking Toolbox if I do.(Art of Argument at a twice weekly schedule)

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

Math--Prealgebra AoPS (will have finished MM6)

Science--Rainbow Science, Year Two  Actually now thinking of doing  earth/space 1/2 year and health 1/2 year.

History--Biblioplan Early Modern with SOTW, one more spine

Language Arts-- EIW 7 or Format Writing and Killgallon Sentence Composing for Middle School

Spelling--

Literature--Windows to the World

Vocab--Caesar's English 2

Edited by HeWillSoar
  • Like 1

Math: AOPS Intro to Algebra

Science: Elemental: Earth & Space and Biology w/ Rainbow year 2 labs w/ Tiners Biology, Astronomy, and Medicine

Grammar: Rod and Staff 7

Vocab: Vocab from the classical roots

Writing: WWS2

History/Lit/Geography/Bible: ToG y3

Logic: The Art of Argument

Latin: Latin for Children B

Spanish: Spanish for Children B

Art: Artistic Pursuits & Picture Study

Music: Composer Study & Violin in youth orchestra

PE: Ballet

• Like 1

Here's what I plan for DD next year:

IEW SICC-B

Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization

Winston Grammar or Shurley English

Saxon 8/7

Mystery of History Volume 2

Latin for Children B

Noeo Chemistry III

WTM Medieval Reading List

Megawords 3 and 4

Copywork for Girls (for dictation)

Tae Kwon Do class 2x week and daily practice

Edited by charlotteb
  • Like 1

As of now our 7th grade plan:

Math: Continue saxon 8/7 then move to saxon algebra mid-year

Language arts: Finish CLE 6 then start 7 OR I may do something radical and do at ELTL at its highest level (I doubt it though)

Writing: CAP W&R finish book 4 by that point and move on to 5 plus WA assignments to go along with TOG

Latin: First Form Latin 2

History/church history/literature/geography: TOG y3 dialiectic. We may do the pageant of philosophy from TOG also.

Art/music: simply Charlotte Mason art appreciation, music appreciation, and violin lessons and extras from TOG

Logic: fallacy detective and Thinking Toolbox - We will do this on T/T and Language Arts on MWF

Science: Apologia General in a co-op

Trail Life 2x per month year round
Awana year round
Basketball in winter
Swim team in summer
4-H rabbits and shotgun club

Edited by Texas T
  • Like 1

As of now our 7th grade plan:

Math: Continue saxon 8/7 then move to saxon algebra mid-year

Language arts: Finish CLE 6 then start 7 OR I may do something radical and do at ELTL at its highest level (I doubt it though)

Writing: CAP W&R finish book 4 by that point and move on to 5 plus WA assignments to go along with TOG

Latin: First Form Latin 2

History/church history/literature/geography: TOG y3 dialiectic. We may do the pageant of philosophy from TOG also.

Art/music: simply Charlotte Mason art appreciation, music appreciation, and violin lessons and extras from TOG

Logic: fallacy detective and Thinking Toolbox

Science: Apologia General in a co-op

Trail Life 2x per month year round

Awana year round

Basketball in winter

Swim team in summer

4-H rabbits and shotgun club

I pictured you shooting the rabbits, and I was totally OK with it..."wow that 4h club really teaches advanced shooting.."  then I was all like... "wait a minute..." 

• Like 6

I've only started to plan for Grey's seventh grade year. We've nailed down a general high school course of study so now we're going through what she needs to get ready for high school. Nothing is completely set.

Social Studies/Lit- NG From Adam to Us

Math- LOF Pre-A

Science- BJU 

Grammar- Shurley

Writing- Jump In

Literature- ICCA/classics & MENSA list with MP guides/projects/reports

Religion- Apologia Who Is God?

Logic- Fallacy Detective

Extras- Girl Scouts, Church Youth Group, Coop Classes, 4H, Flute/Band, Art Classes, Gymnastics, Yoga, Swimming, possibly Golf or Tennis

Edited by ~Laura~
  • Like 1

Very tentative plans:

Math - CLE 700 (maybe 800 too)

Grammar - Daily Grams

Writing - Write Shop I (maybe)

Spelling - R&S 7

Literature - still working on the reading list

History - Notgrass America the Beautiful

Science - McHenry's The Elements

Bible - Apologia Who Am I? (Maybe)

Latin - Second Form Latin

Still considering extras...

• Like 1

I pictured you shooting the rabbits, and I was totally OK with it..."wow that 4h club really teaches advanced shooting.." then I was all like... "wait a minute..."

Hahaha!!! No. We love our rabbits though many people raise them for food. I just haven't gotten to that place yet!! Shotgun club is more skeet shooting...super fun!!!

• Like 2

I haven't really thought much about next year yet. This is what my thoughts are right now:

History-Sonlight Core F reading list.

Science-Guest hollow physics

English- I own Easy Grammar, English Lessons through Literature, and Essentials in Writing. I may add Essentials in Literature and use all four but never more than one at a time.

Spelling-Continue with Apples and Pears. We'll be over halfway through the 2nd book at year's end.

Math-Continue with LOF Decimals and other pre algebra books. I used teaching textbooks this year with LOF fractions as a supplement. When my computer stopped recognizing the TT discs, I have dug into LOF an am perfectly happy with it.

• Like 1

7th Grade, hmm. I'm not sure what we are doing, exactly.

Math: I have no idea. He is doing Jousting Armadillos and various other materials this year. We will do some type of prealgebra, I think.

Literature: Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings, plus reading from TOG

English: Shurley 7, I guess.

Latin: keep progressing in Latin for Children, possibly starting C

Spelling: AAS 5/6

Logic: Art of Argument

Science: Apologia General Science
History: TOG Yr 2
Greek: maybe we'll finally start Athenaze
Chinese: continue with Chinese with Mike

Spanish: So You Really Want to Learn Spanish, I think.

Writing: The Lively Art of Writing, I think.

I'm not sure about this. We'll see how the rest of this year goes.

• Like 1

Started working on our 7th grade plans today they are subject to change  :laugh:

Math - Teaching Textbooks pre algebra, Kahn academy (possibly Saxon math instead) 

History - America the Beautiful 

Science - Apologia General Science

Logic - Art of Argument/ The Argument Builder

Bible - Who is God 

Gotta Have God Devotional for Guys 

Writing - IEW  

Language Arts - Wordly Wise 10

Finish up Easy Grammar 6 

Literature - Not sure yet 

Foreign Language - French or Italian ( he can't decide) '

Unit study on Inventors - he asked for one, will see what I can come up with 

Extras- piano, 4H rifle and ??? 

• Like 1

This is where I think we will be when we get started with 7th in the Fall. I am feeling a little nervous about moving to this section of the WTM Board. I have been lingering in the K-8 forum for so long. :) So I am open to any BTDT advise. My 7th grader is very bright, but had a hard time with reading, writing and spelling all throughout elementary. He has worked very hard and I think that he is more than ready to tackle middle school level work. He is my oldest and is combined sometimes with his sister who will be in 6th next school year.

Bible: So, I think for the first time we will move to using personal devotions for the year. We just slogged through the CAP Bible series and although they all learned a lot, I want to give them a break from the "read the story and do the worksheet" kind of stuff. I may decide to add something midyear if I need to. I am open to suggestions.

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Math:Ă¢â‚¬â€¹ WTMA AOPS pre-algebra

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Latin: Latin for Children C. He is ready to move into Latin Alive Book I, but I think it would be good to complete the LfC series. Kind of undecided.

History: Beautiful Feet Early American with the rest of the family.

Science: I haven't completely fleshed this out yet, but we will do chemistry and physics. I have the Ellen McHenry Chemistry stuff and some Physics Quest Kits that I have been collecting for years. I will need to select something to tie it all together but I am not sure what yet.

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Language Arts: Ă¢â‚¬â€¹We are going to be doing spelling all the way through college so we are going to do Phonetic Zoo (Level B) next year. For Writing we will use the next two or three CAP Writing and Rhetoric Books. Looks like we will be in Books 5 and 6, possibly 7. We also will use some of Essentials in Writing 7th grade, mainly for days when we need something completely independent or when I feel like he needs more grammar. We will also do Reasoning and Reading Level 2. I have some Editor in Chief books and Word Roots that I can add in as necessary.

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Literature: Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Not sure, but I am considering the Veritas Press 6th grade List with guides. We like VP guides and I checked grade level and most of the books are at least 7th grade level or above. And they are books he wants to read and they will coordinate well with our history studies.

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Geography: Finish Mapping the World with Art (Ellen McHenry) and then do some 50 states geography.

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Music: Ă¢â‚¬â€¹BĂ¢â‚¬â€¹F History of Classical Music with the rest of the family. Start back with voice lessons after a year off.

Art: Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Veritas Art History Course with the rest of the family.

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹PE: Ă¢â‚¬â€¹He is on a competitive soccer team and takes a young athletes crossfit class

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Logic: We may start MP Traditional Logic when we see how the year is going.

Ok. I am officially scared to death. Deep breath. I am sure I will be back to edit a thousand times as I remember what I forgot.

Editing so that I don't forget that I'm pondering MP introduction to classical studies, CP Poetry, and philosophy for kids. It won't all fit I. So I have to figure some things out and prioritize. Or make some thing spread out over two years.

Edited by lollie010
  • Like 1

I don't feel like I am very far along in thinking about what my DD will do, but here is what I am tentatively thinking about:

Writing: WWS2

Other language arts:  Our own lit list, maybe a lit study guide or two, not sure what we want to do for grammar.  Maybe some ongoing spelling practice (we're back to doing twice a week dictation sentences from Dictation Resource Book right now, and may continue that next year).

Math: Pre-algebra...we recently jumped ship on CLE after 607, and are starting pre-Alg. now.  She LOVES doing "Kiss My Math"  but is not thrilled with the Lial text I bought to do as our main text. I have a Dolciani on the way so we are going to try that next. 

History: US History focus.  I am intrigued by Hakim concise editions, but DD is also interested in doing MOH4 (maybe spread over two years to give time for some additional US history resources).

Science: Leaning toward outsourcing with a local class.  If we don't do that, then I have no idea!

Geography:  Mapping the World with Art (maybe starting that yet this year and continuing on?).

Still lots of thinking to do here, but it's a start.

We won't start 7th for my oldest until September but here is what I think we will be doing:

MATH: CLE 7, Khan Academy, Prodigy

LANGUAGE ARTS: CLE 6, IEW-SICC-B, Apples and Pears C

GEOGRAPHY: Candian Map book, Mapping the World

SOCIAL STUDIES/HISTORY: CLE Canadian Social Studies, SOTW 3

ART : lessons at a local studio

P.E.: competitive basketball, karate, lifesaving sport swimming.

SCIENCE: Mystery Science, Ellen McHenry's The Elements

• Like 1

Still fiddling. Done.

K12 Human Odyssey. Finish Book 2. + Electing the President Workbook
Mapping the World with Art (last half) Student workbooks from K12- mostly mapping and primary source pages. Only 1-2 per week.
Annotated Mona Lisa

Campbell Biology Exploring Life
Hoagland's Way Life Works
Big History Short Course
I wrote a schedule for this loosely based on Sarah's schedule https://quarksandquirksbiology.wordpress.com
I compacted the human physiology section, which we will cover eventually in health, and beefed up environmental science.

Windows to the World
Daily Grams Ultimate 8 Let's Eat, Fifi
Commonly misspelled words and Greek and Latin roots lists on Quizlet. Vocabulit

Alcumus and Dolciani Algebra

Breaking the French Barrier finish 1, start Twisted Door
First Form Latin (she's done Lively Latin 1 & most of 2 but we took this year off)

Music and sports
Really wanted to do the WTM Intermediate Music Theory, but I think we are at our limit.
DC does an enormous amount of self directed art.

Edited by elladarcy

I will have to update as I get closer to this fall as I don't have much of a plan yet....

Math: continue with Horizons (she is beginning Horizons 5 right now; it is slow progress, but she is learning)

History: BYL 6 (2nd half of US history)

Literature: BYL 6

English: run through Grammar Revolution again

Latin: finish Second Form Latin and begin Third Form Latin (the Forms series seems to take longer than a year to complete a level at my house)

Writing: W&R books 6&7

Science: no idea yet

Bible: no idea yet

Art: no idea

extras: choir and piano lessons

• Like 2

PokeMan will be in 7th next year:

Editing...because well...life?

Courses marked with # are supposed to be taken at the middle/high school

Math:  Algebra 1 (no longer at the school, Chalkdust with Foersters and/or AoPS), plus half of Geometry (Jacob's, with Ask Dr. Callahan videos)
English: Mosdos Press Jade, something like Daily Paragraph Editing, or Punctuation Puzzler/Editor & Chief, Killgallon's Sentence Composing for MS and WWS1B
History: Human Odyssey finish book 2 and book 3.  Crash Course videos(?), maybe I'll get the worksheets that go with the K12 book.
Chinese 1# maybe Italian at home (he's asking for Italian now)
Science: Abeka Biology, with DVD, or BJU or Environmental Science with siblings... I just don't know and origins study (mine)
PE/health 7: at home, probably Abeka, swimming and dryland
SOS Office Applications 1 & 2
Drawing...something or other.

Edited by LisaK in VA is in IT
  • Like 1

Very tentative, AL focused on science, especially bio.

LA-online lit course (G3 Shakespeare is what DD wants) lots of writing and editing, public speaking (animal advocacy), online writing class

Math-Geometry/Algebra 2 with LOF and AOPS (trying to solidify skills), statistics, possibly start Trigonometry.

Latin-Galore Park

History-History for the Australian Curriculum (DD wants to do a year on Australian history). I'm hoping into find old edition textbooks cheap since the new ones are due out, and let her basically read and take notes on them for a year., History for Whovians online class

Science-Local high school biology lab group, self-study for SAT2/CLEP Bio (substituted for Ecology because of the local lab option) and advanced topics in biology, Aquatic Biology, Herpetology research with mentor, conferences

Music-Piano lessons and Theory

PE-tumbling and cheer. Moved to new gym for tumbling

Edited by dmmetler

These are tentative plans as I'm not sure how much we will finish before we start 7th grade, which is usually October or sometimes January when we start a new year.  We are schooling year-round right now and hoping to catch up some in math, Latin and grammar as we school through summer.

Bible - MP Christians Studies IV

Math - Saxon Algebra 1/2

Grammar/Writing - R&S 7

Spelling - Vocabulary from Classical Roots A & B

Logic - MP Traditional Logic I

Latin - Henle 1st Year

History - Human Odyssey

Science - Earth Science & Astronomy (encyclopedias, experiments, etc.)

Edited by Classically Minded
  • Like 1

I've been thinking about this a lot this week. I've been looking ahead to what I want high school to look like (even ventured over to the high school board - scary!) and talking to DD about what she might want to do, what her interests are, and what she expects high school to be like. I checked out the requirements for a diploma in our state too. They're going up from 20 credits to 25 - not that we have to follow their requirements as homeschoolers. I'm trying to get a list together of things to look at at our convention in April.

Here's where I'm at so far but nothing is set in stone:

Bible: Who is God? series, Bible reading and memorization

Math: Thinking about SM 6a&b, LOF Fractions, Decimals and Percents, and Pre-algebra, or another pre-algebra course. I have a lot to figure out here.

Writing: IEW I have the TWSS and have been making up my own lessons from that. I may try the SWI or a theme book this year though.

Grammar: LLATL or ELTL

Spelling: Spelling Power

Literature: Book lists from SCM, WTM, or wherever I find them, maybe a lit guide or two, poet study, read and memorize poetry, basically not really sure yet with this one

History: SOTW 2, 3, and 4 over 7th and 8th grades with added book choices to beef it up for middle school

Science: Apologia General Science

Fine Arts: Piano lessons and music theory, art as interested (current interests are knitting, crocheting, sewing, drawing), artist and composer study

PE: Karate 2x/week, maybe get into running. We all need more physical activity around here!

Logic: ? Not sure if we're doing it this year or not

Foreign Language: Spanish and/or ASL most likely. Curriculum TBD

I think that's about it. It's an intimidating list for us but there's still quite a few details to work out. Hopefully I can turn this into a workable schedule that won't have her totally overwhelmed. I'm trying to ramp up the expectations a bit for the end of 6th so that she has a chance to get used to a heavier work load before we start 7th.

• Like 2

How on earth is my little baby almost a 7th grader?! I bought Wayfarers Revolution History, but I don't think I'm going to use it. I'm fairly certain we are going to do the following:

TT7 & Jousting Armadillos

WWS1

Grammar Voyage

Caesar's English II

A World of Poetry

K12 The Human Odyssey

U.S. History Detective 1

world geography

The Story of Science: Newton at the Center

chemistry from The American Chemical Society

Spanish for Children B

Duolingo Spanish

Geography Through Art

guitar lessons

literature list TBD

• Like 1

I'm sure this isn't set in stone, but right now, I think the plan is:

Grammar:           Rod & Staff 6

Writing:               WWS 2 combined with Sentence Composing from Kilgallon

History:               SOTW 3 with several Sonlight readers and adding in History of US (following Guesthollow's schedule)

Science:              No idea, but thinking about Holt Earth Science

Latin:                   Second Form Latin

Literature:            Sonlight readers mentioned above and some WTM suggestions

Math:                   if the rest of the year goes well, Algebra II Saxon.  If he needs to slow down, well, we'll see.

Geography:         I want to cover world geography, but I can't seem to fit it in anywhere, so I'm thinking of adding BYL 7th grade geography and spreading it over his last 2 years of middle school.  Still trying to decide, so we'll see.

I thought I had edited this before, but since I've changed practically everything, I'll just repost when I finally get it all figured out.  I'm enjoying a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th read of TWTM and aligning heavily with that. :)

Edited by tmstranger
  • Like 1

Well, we were planning to put my rising 7th grader into the absolutely amazing classical charter school my 8th grader is attending, but he didn't get in! 

So I found another classical charter nearby, and now they're closing! 

So I'm bookmarking this thread and panicking.  :lol:

• Like 2

We started 7th grade a week ago (southern hemisphere school calendar).  My ds is 2e with a focus in English. So my plan remediates the dysgraphia while letting his English skills fly.  

English: homegrown. 

Literature: a book a week.  His goal is to complete the Mensa Middle school list in 1 year http://www.mensaforkids.org/achieve/excellence-in-reading/

Composition: goal: A- essay in 1 hour.  Writing across the curriculum with a trifocus on creative writing, creative non-fiction writing, and analytical writing. 

Instruction:

Poetry: Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense.

Nonfiction: They Say, I Say: Moves that Matter in Academic Writing.

Creative nonfiction:  Common Threads: Core Reading by Method and Theme

Literary analysis: Sparkesnotes for books on mensa list

Example essays will come from NYT Room for Debate, National Geographic, Scientific American

Remediation for dysgraphia

30 minutes dictation each day

Touch Type Read and Spell, typing for dyslexics/dysgraphics

Math: MEP secondary

Science: McHenry's Carbon Chemistry, and kitchen chemistry using:

What Einstein Told his Cook: Kitchen Science Explained and

Culinary Reactions: the everyday chemistry of cooking

History: Ancient history with Dad.  Books from library + lots of docos

Violin: working hard towards ABRSM (Royal School out of the UK) grade 5 exam in June + TRIO

Technicraft at local school: old fashioned shop and home ec

extra-curriculars for my very extroverted son: swimming, gymnastics, drama, badminton, soccer, multisport (not all running at the same time!)

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1