Menu

2016-2017 8th grade planning

I'll have my last 8th grader next year. The current plan is.....in flux, but here is what we have so far:

Math -- We're in MUS Algebra 1 this year, but it's harder for her than I thought it would be, so I am looking at doing Foerster's Algebra 1 with her next year, focus on the word problems, to really solidify algebra before moving on.

History -- American Odyssey for spine, plus most of SL's Core 100 reading & literature books. Am also looking at Land of Fair Play (I have a really old copy) for the civics part of things.

Language Arts -- WWS 2, literature guides for 4 of the novels we read (Red Badge of Courage, Call of the Wild, Tom Sawyer, To Kill a Mockingbird, I think), plus Memoria Press's American lit short story/poetry guide.

Science -- Earth Science using a public school textbook set.

Latin -- We've been using Latin Alive 2 and it's kicking our butts. We spend forever on it. So I want some other program and we'll do their Year 2...hoping that she'll get another pass through the stuff that's hard for her. She'll be doing Spanish @ CC for high school. ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ME????

ETA: We're starting Jenney's First Year Latin this week, doing it orally for review. Hopefully it will be easy. Hopefully next year we'll get thru 2nd year latin. Hopefully.

Other -- Some art history with lots of drawing mixed in, possibly finish Argument Builder over the summer. We'll continue to be involved in American Heritage Girls, where she's probably going to plan & put on a workshop for the younger girls this year. Youth group

We're looking into some 1-week summer session classes @ our local state U this summer, to get some outside art teaching. There's even one that mixes marine bio (our current science) with art.

Laurel Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Did you use the Latin for Children series and Latin Alive 1 before beginning Latin Alive 2? Honestly, I can't imagine us tackling Latin Alive 1 this year, as easily and successfully, without first completing the Latin for Children series as a precursor. Just wondering what we may be in for next year with Latin Alive 2.  :unsure:

Edited by NCAmusings
  • Like 1

I have an 8th grader next year.  Our co-op will plan classes for next year on the 12th, so things could change. We do 3 classes, 2 of which normally have homework. One is usually some type of fun elective.  

Bible: Continue an overview of the entire bible using AO; should be to the New Testament

History: CLE's Changing Frontiers (US history)

Science: co-op is using Apologia Biology, but I'm going to have ds just do labs there and use BJU Life Science for middle school with DVD

Math: Algebra 1 if I feel he's ready, haven't chosen which text yet;

Patty Paper Geometry

Latin: First Form Latin (giving this a try to see if Latin will be his high school foreign language)

Language Arts: Co-op might have a composition class (Elegant Essay if no writing there, or if I don't feel it's enough.)

Memoria Press American Literature Short Stories and Poetry

CLE LA

Word Wealth

Books: haven't chosen these yet; I might continue leading a book club. 

Piano/Guitar: just started piano, might pick up guitar, too

Basketball

Well, several friends are doing Spanish next year, and a homeschool friend of ours who was a Spanish teacher is willing to host a once a month practice, review, game day. I am probably going to switch from Latin to Spanish. It will be all of ds' friends, so he might as well join them for the fun. We are deciding between Breaking the Barrier and Allinonehighschool's Spanish. 

The Co-op Composition class has decided to use AG's Beyond the Book Report Season 3. He'll be fine tuning essay writing, doing oral presentations with technology, and learning the research paper. It may be enough that I won't use Elegant Essay. 

I am going with TT Algebra 1 after ds finishes CLE 700. 

I already purchased my CLE Changing Frontiers and am in love with the book! It's beautiful, and I'm loving their presentation as I'm reading through it.  

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

For my 8th grader next year. This will be her last year home schooling prior to attending a college prep high school.

Math- AoPS Intro to Algebra and Intro to Geometry

Language Arts- outside IEW class- Literary Analysis- MacBeth, To Kill a Mockinbird, the rest to be determined. Reading list to be determined.

Foreign Language- Elementary Spanish 1 at local community college. We will take this together

History- A History of US by Joy Hakim- 10 book series

Computer Science: How to Code: Systematic Program Design, Parts 1, 2, and 3 on EdX.org, general computer science intro - the stanford online class CS101, web development and Python - using CodeAcademy.com- I will be taking all these classes with her.

Science- Physical Science textbook- just touching on this. The main focus will be computer science this year.

Fine arts- weekly drawing class, voice and guitar lessons

, Academic Events: Model United Nations, Science Fair CompetitionHistory Day Project

i think this is what we'll be doing next year for 8th grade

MP US history Story of the Great Republic, 13 Colonies and SOTW 4

Saxon 8/7 or Saxon Algebra 1/2

MP lit selections and a few of my own

Warriner's grammar (slowly)

Jump In (complete this)

HTTS (complete this)

LC 1 (complete this and begin FFL)

Art of Argument

Boy, Have I Got Problems

Exploring Planet Earth/ LLS 3

We're still working on extra curriculars, I do think we'll be doing Contenders of the Faith in a small group.

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 1

Can you tell me what you're using for Anatomy and Physiology? We're having a hard time finding materials that aren't too advanced (high-school and college level). 

Thanks! 

Sorry for the late reply. T is planning to take the high school class which uses Scanlon and Sanders. However, Landry also offers a 7-9th level class that uses Body by Design by Gillen and a class for 4-6th grades using the Apologia book. I don't have any experience with them.

This is my work of art 8th grade plan.  ;)

1.  English

Grammar--R&S English 8 (grammar exercises only)

Literature--pick a list of books to read

Vocab/Spelling--Finish Word Wealth Jr.

2.  Writing

IEW SICC-C (Second Half)

If finish with that, do some Maxwell's Writing in English or other essay writing

3.  Public Speaking

Speech Club including compete in three local tournaments

4.  Foreign Language

German 2--at local Middle School

5.  Math

Algebra 1--at local Middle School

6.  History/Geography

Read A Patriot's History of the United States

Critical Thinking Company's U.S. History Detective (workbooks 1 and 2)

Continue our two year plan to learn to draw the whole world through http://map-of-the-whole-world.weebly.com/

7.  Science

BJU Earth Science Grade 8 Distance Learning Online

8.  Discussion/Test Prep/Misc:

Economics--Uncle Eric book (1st quarter)

Literature--Guide to go with one book on our literature list (2nd quarter)

Computer course--Excel through www.udemy.com (3rd quarter)

Logic--Thinking Toolbox (4th quarter)

Test Prep--SAT prep through Khan Academy (daily or every other day)

• Like 1

Mrs. Twain,

What is IEW SICC C like? Ds is finishing up SICC B. I am thinking of having him do Writing in English. He is tired of all the IEW rules though they did help him a lot learning various sentence openers, dressups, and quality adjectives. He knows how to do them and do them well. It just takes a lot of time and conscious effort.

Level C is like Level B, but it is more advanced. It concentrates on essay writing and requires a bibliography with reports. I decided to do level C because my son requested it since he likes being taught by Mr. Pudewa. :)

At times I have found it useful to alternate using the IEW checklist eith doing another assignment without the checklist. That way I can see how my kids write naturally.

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. This year she has no badges lining up with her subjects. They will brainstorm this summer for the next year. If we get lucky they will pick something that lines up.

Don't forget to look at the new set of badges in the supplement. Some of them are quite academic and challenging.

Laurel Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Did you use the Latin for Children series and Latin Alive 1 before beginning Latin Alive 2? Honestly, I can't imagine us tackling Latin Alive 1 this year, as easily and successfully, without first completing the Latin for Children series as a precursor. Just wondering what we may be in for next year with Latin Alive 2.  :unsure:

Yes, we did LFC A-C and then LA 1 before beginning LA 2. It was just too much for this non-latin mom unless I'd been doing every lesson with dd. We're powering thru the Jenney's First Year Latin -- text lesson 1 day, wb pages the next day -- and dd is encouraged to see how much she *does* know instead of how much she gets wrong. I don't know where we'll go after that. Our goal is *something* her 8th grade year and Spanish 1 in high school, probably at the CC.

Yes, we did LFC A-C and then LA 1 before beginning LA 2. It was just too much for this non-latin mom unless I'd been doing every lesson with dd. We're powering thru the Jenney's First Year Latin -- text lesson 1 day, wb pages the next day -- and dd is encouraged to see how much she *does* know instead of how much she gets wrong. I don't know where we'll go after that. Our goal is *something* her 8th grade year and Spanish 1 in high school, probably at the CC.

My little man always tries to complete each exercise faster than me. Lol! It's great encouragement on both sides. That being said, you've lit a fire under me to complete my Latin assignment.

Definite: 

Math- AOPS. I'm not sure where he'll be, probably finishing Intro to Algebra and possibly starting Geometry. I have him work through the summers on math so we don't really go by the school year. 

Latin I with Lukeion- His first online class. 

Other than that I'm not sure. Our approach to middle school has been more of a unit study/ interest led kind of thing as far as science and history go. I've heard Lukeion is really challenging so I want him to concentrate on that and Math. I've though about having him do a history of science kind of class or possibly Biology. My younger two will do American History and I think I'll have him do some Civics/Government kind of stuff along with the election. He needs to write and we need to work on literary analysis. He reads a ton but hasn't done a lot of thinking/discussing/writing about what he reads. I'm not sure yet if I'll use a curriculum or just do a reading list and then discuss with him and have him write essays for me. 

Other...piano, scouts, swimming. He'll likely do theater and Odyssey of the Mind at our co-op and will take a couple of other classes there. He did an intro French class this year and liked it so maybe another French class. 

Finish Algebra 1/ Algebra 2
Honors Biology
Hewitt Physics
HS Spanish 2 
Introduction to British Literature
American History (summer intensive)

Electives:
Community Theater
Individual violin & piano & voice
Year round competitive fast pitch Softball
Community service (library teen council, Red Cross)

She does best with multiple activities and intensive long term commitments. I just hope I can survive her schedule.

Edited by Jewels

Language Arts - Holt Literature 8 supplemented with Memoria Press Novel Studies (grade 8+, 1 per quarter), Wordly Wise, IEW writing and grammar, IXL grammar, and independent reading.

Math - AoPS Algebra I (first 10 chapters)

Science - Glencoe 8

Social Studies - 1/4 Civics; 3/4 US History 

Elective:  Daily 1 year credit - Technology (1/4 each  MS Office, HTML, Programming, Robotics/Other - still planning).

Elective: Daily 1 year credit - Spanish.  Hope to finally finish high school Spanish 1. Abandoned it mid-year this year so he has 1/2 credit already.

Weekly Topics:  Mythology (Bible), Health, Current Events (Jr. Scholastic Mag & CNN Student News daily), Art and Music, PE at rec center.

Group Read Alouds daily. 

• Like 1

This the current lineup for 8th grade:

Math: CLE 7 / CLE 8 (Prealgebra)

English:

"Grammar for Middle School" (Kilgallon) http://www.heinemann.com/products/E00956.aspx,

and

"Richbaub's Introduction to Middle School Grammar" (Books 1 and 2). http://www.middleschoolgrammar.com/

If finish those, then maybe IEW Fix-It Grammar

Writing: Jensen's Junior High Format Writing (outsourced local class)

Literature: Live online Literature classes through Homeschool Connections:

"Christmas in Literature, Film, and Music" (fall) https://reg129.imperisoft.com/HomeschoolConnectionsOnline/ProgramDetail/3135323137/Registration.aspx

and "A Mastery of Mysteries" (spring) https://reg129.imperisoft.com/HomeschoolConnectionsOnline/ProgramDetail/3135343034/Registration.aspx

History: Live online Middle School US History (Homeschool Connections): https://reg129.imperisoft.com/HomeschoolConnectionsOnline/ProgramDetail/3135313831/Registration.aspx

Science: Earth Science (outsourced local class)

Religion: Faith and Life (My Catholic Faith Delivered)

Art: Locally outsourced

Theatre: sound design

Film making local class

PE class

Swim team

Edited by bluebonnetgirl
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Next year will be my last year of homeschooling my soon to be 8th grader, who will be attending a university model school in hs (totally her choice).  Waaah! :sad:  I'm sad.  But we decided to do some fun things for her last year at home.

Language Arts:  

literature-MP American Short Stories and Poetry.  Lots of independent reading, too.

spelling and vocab-Scripps Word Club

grammar-Easy Grammar Ultimate 10

writing-The Creative Writer level 2

Math:Saxon Advanced Maths

Science-MP Astronomy using Tiner's Exploring the World of Astronomy and MP Student Guide; Build Your Own Telescope Kit (refractor) from HST and stargazing with our (reflector) telescope.  Possibly some Great Courses related to Astronomy (My Favorite Universe, etc)

History-Oak Meadow 8th Grade Civics

Computer Science-TeenCoder Java Android programming

VEX Robotics team at charter school

PE-dance and more dance.

eta: revised schedule

Edited by amsunshinetemp
  • Like 2

Lit: Lightning Literature 8

Grammar: AG Season 3

Writing: combo of BBR, IEW and Bravewriter (really I use techniques and we use the LL writing prompts)

Math: MUS Pre A

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Trail Guide to World Geography

Art of Argument

The Story of the Constitution

ASL 1

• Like 2

Here's what I'm thinking right now:

Math - AoPS Intro Counting and Probability, AoPS Number Theory, and then roll into AoPS Algebra B when done with those

My daughter and I have been struggling with what to do next year (8th grade) for math. She's finishing up the first half of AoPS Introduction to Algebra. We've been discussing whether or not to do Counting and Probablility and Number Theory, do the second half of Intro to Algebra, or do their Geometry book. I worry that if we take a complete year off from Algebra, she'll forget everything when we go back. Can you share how you came to your decision? I'm not sure of the best way to approach these courses...

For my soon-to-be 8th grader we plan to continue with Classical Conversations. She's finished up Challenge A and had a wonderful year. We're looking forward to Challenge B!

Math:  We haven't decided where to go with this yet (see my post above). It'll either be the second half of AoPS Intro to Algebra (Algebra 2), AoPS Number Theory and County and Probability, or AoPS Geometry. This is a tough decision. :(

Science: History of Science. Researching different scientists each week. She'll do a science fair project, and then move into studying the science of our origins and end with some Chemistry.

History: First half of the year is all about current events. The second half of the year they do a mock trial, which sounds like a lot of fun.

Latin: Henle's First Year Latin. They'll complete 2/3 of the book. This is both for language and Grammar.

Lost Tools of Writing. She'll use the following books: Phantom Toolbooth, Little Britches, Where the Red Fern Grows, and The Hiding Place. For the second semester the class focuses on short stories and creative writing. They'll write their own short stories.

Logic: Introductory Logic and Intermediate Logic

She's in another co-op, but it's more about fine arts. I'm not sure which classes she'll take there next year as they're still getting the schedule ready, but she'll definitely be doing their acting class, possibly a creative writing class, and an art class.

• Like 1

Math -

Life of Fred Algebra (finish, begin next book)

Real World Algebra (Zaccaro)

String, Straightedge, Shadow - Story of Geometry (Diggins)

Elements of Euclid (Byrne)

Physics -

Clover Creek online course

Flying Circus of Physics (Walker)

E=mc2 (Bodanis)

Logic -

Art of Argument

How To Read Slowly (Sire)

Foreign Language -

Hey Andrew Greek

Theology/Apologetics -

Westminster Catechism

Thoughts for Young Men (Ryle)

How to Be Own Selfish Pig (Schaeffer-Macaulay)

Ministry of Christ (Breisch)

Mere Christianity (Lewis)

Persuasions (Wilson)

English -

How To Write Clearly (Beechick)

Writing in English (Maxwell)

Excavating English (Johnston)

Grammar of Poetry (Whitling)

Warriner's English Grammar

Daily Grams

McGuffey's 4th Reader

written narrations, dictations, commonplace entries

Literature -

History of English Literature (Marshall)

Ivanhoe (Scott)

David Copperfield (Dickens)

Words Aptly Spoken - Short Stories (Greenholt)

Government/Citizenship/Current Events -

Whatever Happened to Justice? (Maybury)

Francis Bacon essays

Ourselves (Mason)

The Law (Bastiet)

Utopia (More)

Article of the Week

European History -

A Primary History of British Isles (McCarter & Dickens)

Great Tales from English History (Lacey)

Canadian History -

Bold Ventures (Rogers)

When the Sun Rises (Wellwood)

We Keep a Light (Richardson)

I Came as a Stranger (Prince)

Blizzard of Glass (Walker)

History Biographies -

Hiding Place (ten Boom)

Voyage of Armada (Howarth)

Coffin for King Charles (Wedgwood)

Nature Study -

Lay of Land (Sharp)

Wild Season (Eckert)

Geography -

Kon Tiki (Heyerdahl)

Brendan Voyage (Severin)

World Religions/Cultures -

Mimosa (Carmichael)

Queen of Dark Chamber (Tsai)

Poetry -

Fierce Wars, Faithful Loves (Maynard)

Paradise Lost (Milton)

Other Science -

Signs and Seasons (Ryan)

Adventures with Microscope (Headstrom)

My Name is Gene (Eskeland)

Stronger Than Steel (Heos)

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made (Brand)

Defeating Darwinism (Johnson)

In Six Days (Ashton)

Discovery of Design (DeYoung)

The Weather Book (Sloane)

Other -

Mastering Computer Typing - Roberts

TaeKwon Do

soccer

• Like 2

tjlcc, I love that you have a number of resources from Ambleside year 7, but have really made it your own plan.  Can you tell me more about A Primary History of British Isles (McCarter & Dickens)?  as well as are you reading it online or do you know if it's available in print?

tjlcc, I love that you have a number of resources from Ambleside year 7, but have really made it your own plan.  Can you tell me more about A Primary History of British Isles (McCarter & Dickens)?  as well as are you reading it online or do you know if it's available in print?

Yes, I should state my resources are not my own ideas. I like AO, Charlotte Mason Help, A Mind in the Light, etc. and pick and choose from each.

A Primary History of British Isles can be found here. I have printed this out, but have not pre-read it yet. It's in my stack. 

Edited by tjlcc
  • Like 1

We're finishing up 8th. My dd had a good year:

Rod and Staff English 7 and Spelling 8

Finished Rod and Staff grade 8 math and is partway through Lial's Algebra

Apologia Biology with labs at co-op

Fourth Form Latin

WTM style logic stage moderns and state history

State history focus at co-op (field trips, activities, performances, projects, etc.)

Speech and Drama class- lots of writing and speaking practice

Art skills at co-op

Now that co-op is finished we are back to working on WWS for the next couple of months, trying to get as far through it before high school as possible.

• Like 1

We are just wrapping up 8th grade here!

Math-TT Algebra

Sciences-Landry Earth Science: Geology, Weather, Astronomy, etc.

History-Landry Exploring World History

LA-Landry English IV (literature, vocabulary, writing)

Performance Guitar

Latin Alive!

Remedial Spelling

My goal for this child this year was to encourage as much independence as possible.  He was able to write and edit his own essays for Landry for the first time, ever.  He studied for and completed his own exams.  I've always been fairly 'hands off,' but this year, we met to plan his week, and I didn't do much else for him.  His grades were not excellent, but I thought it was time that his work was 100% his own.  It's been so, so good for him to work hard and see his grades rise (and it's been equally as motivating to see his grades fall when he slacks).

• Like 3

We are just wrapping up 8th grade here!

Math-TT Algebra

Sciences-Landry Earth Science: Geology, Weather, Astronomy, etc.

History-Landry Exploring World History

LA-Landry English IV (literature, vocabulary, writing)

Performance Guitar

Latin Alive!

Remedial Spelling

My goal for this child this year was to encourage as much independence as possible. He was able to write and edit his own essays for Landry for the first time, ever. He studied for and completed his own exams. I've always been fairly 'hands off,' but this year, we met to plan his week, and I didn't do much else for him. His grades were not excellent, but I thought it was time that his work was 100% his own. It's been so, so good for him to work hard and see his grades rise (and it's been equally as motivating to see his grades fall when he slacks).

What did you think about the Landry Earth Science?

• Like 1

What did you think about the Landry Earth Science?

My son says Mrs. Lung is the best teacher in the world.  She taught the weather and geology portion of the class.  He learned an awful lot, and her assignments were interesting.  I thought it was a little light, as far as content, but the class was thoroughly enjoyable and my son is excited to take more earth science classes.  The astronomy/airpower/space portion has been equally as interesting. The Lt. Col who teaches that class is fun and keeps the kids engaged, but he's not quite as well organized as Mrs. Lung. DS was able to earn 90s in both classes, which is saying a lot for him. Ha!

All in all, I thought it was a great segue way into a structured science class with written lab report requirements, timed testing and expert teachers.  I recommend both classes (though the astronomy class was not hard, at all).  We had done BJU in 6th with Mrs. Vick via DVD. In 7th, we did a self-taught biology with the Miller Levine Foundations textbook.

Edited by Random

My son says Mrs. Lung is the best teacher in the world. She taught the weather and geology portion of the class. He learned an awful lot, and her assignments were interesting. I thought it was a little light, as far as content, but the class was thoroughly enjoyable and my son is excited to take more earth science classes. The astronomy/airpower/space portion has been equally as interesting. The Lt. Col who teaches that class is fun and keeps the kids engaged, but he's not quite as well organized as Mrs. Lung. DS was able to earn 90s in both classes, which is saying a lot for him. Ha!

All in all, I thought it was a great segue way into a structured science class with written lab report requirements, timed testing and expert teachers. I recommend both classes (though the astronomy class was not hard, at all). We had done BJU in 6th with Mrs. Vick via DVD. In 7th, we did a self-taught biology with the Miller Levine Foundations textbook.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have already registered my son for the pre-geology and the space-air power courses, and it is great to hear about your positive experience. My son is especially looking forward to the Lt. Col's class!

• Like 1

Now that I know more about co-op offerings....

Bible - independent Bible reading,

History - undecided until I see what co-op offers  probably American history at home

Literature - possibly drawing from AmblesideOnline or making a list to go with history     at co-op

Science - apologia physical at co-op

Math - Saxon 1 / 2   Derek Owens pre-Algebra

Grammar and Writing - Co-op class using BJU  (maybe not my ideal choice for writing, but I like that she'll have an opportunity to write for someone other than me.  And I can add some writing assignments to history.)

Elective - various Worldview books and cds

Composition - Thinking in Threes + homemade writing assignments

Latin - maybe Henle - the first third or so.

Art of Argument - I'd like to think we'll get to this, but we may not have enough time. 

English - possibly SWO H, undecided about grammar

• Like 1

Some of this has changed! We are moving for sure (dh is already there and working!). I'm not sure which part of town we'll be living in, but if I have my way this is what she'll be doing:

Math and science will be taught at the classes I mentioned in this previous post. She'll be in pre-algebra and physical science. Also, she will do theater production there.

History, at least the first semester, will be with Landry Academy. I forget the name of the class, but it uses some type of "girls around the world" books that are similar to American Girl books, but at a higher reading and content level.

English will probably not change from what I have listed. Except she will be finishing up Apples 1 for spelling before she moves into book 2. Foreign language will stay the same, and for logic she'll finish Orbiting with Logic and then we'll figure out what to do after that. 

I think she'll still take flute lessons, and we'll still do Scouts most likely, but our plan is to check out different groups in our area (GS, AHG, Venturing) and find a group of people she fits in with.

Copied and updated from the thread on middle school plans:

Math--Finish Math U See Zeta if we don't finish over the summer. Then MUS pre-algebra w/ Sinagapore 5. OR jump right into MUS algebra.

English--  

• writing--Jump In! and/or Classical Academic Press Writing and Rhetoric, books 4 & 5.
  • spelling--Apples book 2
  • literature--?? Maybe Lighting Lit 8. Maybe a lit list to go with history cycle. Maybe Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings (this has vocab, too, so an added bonus). Maybe some Progeny Press guides. 
  • grammar--Growing with Grammar 7 (finish), then GWG 8

History--SOTW 3 & 4 (read the chapter, complete the written questions, do the tests, do the map)

Science--Finish Elemental Science Earth/Space. McHenry's The Elements and maybe Carbon Chemistry.

Foreign Lang--So You REally Want to Learn Latin, finish 1, move into 2, unless we finish 1 this year. Then just 2. OR she may do a language survey course with Landry Academy. Or all of this.

Logic--????

Arts--??? continue learning flute, for sure, but whether it is just private study or an ensemble situation remains to be seen. She likes music theory, so we would probably continue that on our own (right now she does it in a music co-op).

Venturing Scouts will be on the list.
I'm going to have her do a class with Landry Academy, but not sure which one. So that could change something from above.

And we are most likely moving this summer. The area we are moving to has a group that has classes--not a co-op, as I am pretty much DONE with co-ops. It's one of those situations where a homeschool group hires teachers and you pay the teacher directly. So, I might put her in that, but I don't know yet.

For my son:

Math: Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra + Hands-on Equations

Language Arts: Write Shop, Megawords, Reading Warriors/Trojans (roots program), Six Weeks to Understanding Grammar (will take longer that six weeks!)

Literature: Lightning Literature 7

History: State history + other interest-led studies

Science: Physical Science with Conceptual Academy

Logic: Building Thinking Skills

We may begin Latin with either Salvete! or Latin's Not So Tough ... or we may not.

• Like 4

Language Arts:

-IEW B continuation

-Lightning Literature 8

-Wordly Wise 9

-Easy Grammar Plus

Math:

-Saxon 1/2

Science:

Chemistry 101

Physics 101

History:

-A History of US with Hewitt's Syllabus

Spanish:

-continue Duolingo

Music:

-Continue Piano and Guitar lessons

Programming:

-TeenCoder Java

Extra Curricular:

-Continue with Boy Scouts

-Continue with Robotics Team

Edited by StillStanding
  • Like 2

Math - Saxon algebra 1/2, CWP, MOCP

Grammar - R&S 7

Writing + Lit. - Blackbird and Co.

Poetry memorizing - Andrew Pudewa

Spelling - Vocabu-lit

History - Oxford Press continue medieval & modern

Science - Holt Science Technology

Geography - Holt World for middle school

Latin - Second Form

Most just continuing... Seems like too much, but never enough!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment...

Math:  Finish Saxon Algebra 1, we are starting in a few weeks when we finish Algebra 1/2, begin Algebra 2

Lit:  LL8 (with MBTP Animal Farm unit subbing for the Hobbit since we did that last year)

History:  American History using first 2 concise volumes of Hakim's History of US with US History Detective

Science:  Looking at Exploration Education Advanced 

Writing:  Ugh.  either Writing Skills 3, EPS's The Paragraph Book, or Wordsmith.    

To say this child is a reluctant writer might be the understatement of the century.  

Foreign Language:  Rosetta Stone Spanish. We want to pick Latin back up with Latin Alive--may wait until 9th grade though.

Other:  Excavating English

PE:  Tennis 4-5 times a week

We own everything but science, Algebra 2, Latin Alive, and some of the writing books.  I am feeling pretty good about our plans.  

Hey!

Looks like you are planning to do the first part of American History for 8th grade, which is what I'll be teaching at my co-op for middle schoolers. My dd 8th grader will be in my class......Have you thought about what you'll do for your dc for 9th grade? Will you continue with the 2nd half of US? Or have any idea what you'll use?

I'd prefer my dd to study all the way through Modern times for 8th...... I'm just seeking out others' paths to help me figure it all out.....

Sorry to put you on the spot and I understand if you have no idea! 

Thanks in advance....

• Like 1

Hey!

Looks like you are planning to do the first part of American History for 8th grade, which is what I'll be teaching at my co-op for middle schoolers. My dd 8th grader will be in my class......Have you thought about what you'll do for your dc for 9th grade? Will you continue with the 2nd half of US? Or have any idea what you'll use?

I'd prefer my dd to study all the way through Modern times for 8th...... I'm just seeking out others' paths to help me figure it all out.....

Thanks in advance....

So, I think we are going to do World Geography next. We just finished up SOTW 3 and 4 this year so he doesn't want to get right back into modern history.  We actually started the early American history already and it is going well.  If we do just keep going with American, I will use the second 2 Hakim concise books with the 2nd US History Detective.  

So...

9th:  world geography

10th: World History

11th: American History/Government

12th ??

HTH!!

• Like 1

I think that, besides our moves overseas, this has been one of busiest years yet. I'm trying to console myself that whatever we lacked in accomplishing in academic studies, we made up for in social, musical and physical studies. :) I'm hoping to have a much more academic year in 2016-2017. But, my rising 8th grader has fallen in love with dance and her work in piano has made a sharp turn upwards so....it should be quite the balancing act.

This is my possible plan for my rising 8th grader:

Math-Jacob's Algebra I

Latin-First Form Latin

French-continue with Breaking the Barrier I

Science-assorted topics such as physics, genetics, introduction to chemistry, The Sea Around Us and probably some astronomy, keeping a science notebook, a special studies notebook and nature sketchbook

History-The Book of the Ancient Greeks and my guide, Foster books...still working out the details and I'm waiting to see what we finish this summer...

Literature-David Copperfield, The Trojan War, The Wanderings of Odysseus, Bulfinch's Mythology, Robinson Crusoe, North and South and Pride and Prejudice

Poetry-narrative selections from Longfellow, poet studies with Frost, Dickinson and Tennyson, including Idylls of the King

English-continue with Essentials of English 2, dictation, commonplace book, Figuratively Speaking with literary terms notebook, keeping an active reader notebook

Geography-Book of Marvels

Shakespeare and Drama-Merchant of Venice, Macbeth

Artist Studies-Copley, Gainsborough, Turner

Composer Studies-Chopin, Tchaikovsky and Schubert

Nature Studies concentration-botany and insects

Lots of dance-Ballet, Jazz, Modern, Lyrical

Piano

So, I think we are going to do World Geography next. We just finished up SOTW 3 and 4 this year so he doesn't want to get right back into modern history.  We actually started the early American history already and it is going well.  If we do just keep going with American, I will use the second 2 Hakim concise books with the 2nd US History Detective.  

So...

9th:  world geography

10th: World History

11th: American History/Government

12th ??

HTH!!

Thank you for replying back!

I have the US History Detective book 1..... I'll check out book 2 this week at our homeschool conference!

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Hey!

Thanks in advance....

May I jump in on the conversation? :D I'm doing the first half of US history, too. I decided to take the CLE Changing Frontiers and do it over two years adding in a lot of historical fiction. Our state now has only 3 credits required in social studies for graduation, so I don't have to do a credit in 9th. Geography is not a requirement, but I'm going to be adding in enough geography to give him 1/2 credit in 9th grade because I think geography is necessary. I haven't decided all the resources yet, but I have Glencoe World Geography here as well as a lot of other books. I'm also using AO's middle school social studies course over the next 2 years because it has sociology, anthropology, and an intro to gov/econ. I liked the idea of introducing those to him. I may be adding in some books to that study as well.

After that, I'll look at what dual enrollment options there are for ds' senior year to decide the order of the required credits: World, US, and Gov/Econ. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

I have finally nailed down what I want to do next year with my youngest son.

Language:

Writing with Skill I

Lightning Lit 8

Growing with Grammar 8

Vocabulary from Latin and Greek Roots

Harcourt Reading Comprehension Workbook 8

Math:

Teaching Textbooks Algebra

Science:

Semester 1: Biology (Landry Academy)

Semester 2: Physics (Landry Academy)

Logic:

Art of Argument or The Thinking Toolbox

Social Studies:

Notgrass Civics

Geomatters World Geography

Electives:

Python with Minecraft (Landry Academy)

Health: Changing Bodies, Changing Lives

PE: Basketball League

• Like 2

May I jump in on the conversation? :D I'm doing the first half of US history, too. I decided to take the CLE Changing Frontiers and do it over two years adding in a lot of historical fiction. Our state now has only 3 credits required in social studies for graduation, so I don't have to do a credit in 9th. Geography is not a requirement, but I'm going to be adding in enough geography to give him 1/2 credit in 9th grade because I think geography is necessary. I haven't decided all the resources yet, but I have Glencoe World Geography here as well as a lot of other books. I'm also using AO's middle school social studies course over the next 2 years because it has sociology, anthropology, and an intro to gov/econ. I liked the idea of introducing those to him. I may be adding in some books to that study as well.

After that, I'll look at what dual enrollment options there are for ds' senior year to decide the order of the required credits: World, US, and Gov/Econ.

Of course you can jump in!

I'm PM'ing you!

Thanks

Here is my plan for Language Arts. It's a weak spot, so trying to get it planned out first. MY son scores low on spelling, so trying to remediate that with Megawords. He reads a lot for pleasure. Would Figuratively Speaking be enough for Literature?

It took me a loooong time to finally decided on IEW vs WWS. Decided I was overthinking and just went with my gut.

Anything missing?

Grammar - Fix It
Writing - IEW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Spelling: Megawords
Vocab - English From the Roots Up
Literary Analysis - Figuratively Speaking

Edited by summerreading

Would Figuratively Speaking be enough for Literature?

Literary Analysis - Figuratively Speaking

IMO? No, Fig Speaking wouldn't be enough for Lit for an 8th grader, even if he reads a lot for pleasure. Unless he's reading high quality lit (vs. the mind candy stuff my dd reads)? 

You could absolutely combine Fig Speaking with short stories that show the lit terms you are learning as part of Fig Speaking. There used to be a blog post that did this, but it looks like it isn't there anymore. 

This old thread, titled Figuratively Speaking, talks about how some people use the book. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, forget whatever I may have said before (I've already posted twice in this thread!). We finally figured out exactly where we will be living, and found some homeschool classes about 15 minutes from our new home! Also, she'll be taking her first online class. So it will be quite the mix of home-, online-, and live-taught classes.

Here is the plan, as final as it can be:

Math--MUS Pre-Algebra; Singapore 5 & 6

English--Growing with Grammar 7, Apples Spelling Drills, Jensen's Format Writing, Middle School Literature at STAR Academy

Science--Physical Science at STAR Academy

History--Adventures in World History with Girls of Many Lands I & II (Landry Academy)

Foreign Lang--So You Really Want to Learn Latin (still plugging away at this)

Logic--Orbiting with Logic

Fine Arts--Flute lessons

PE--Archery at STAR Academy (this is a 4-H group)

Other--will continue Scouts in some capacity

Edited by LanaTron
  • Like 2

I have two 8th graders next year and I'm still finalizing things for the year.  So far I have the following:

Language Arts

Landry English 4 (LL8 and MCT)

WWS3/Creative Writing

RS6 after finishing MCT grammar the first 8 weeks

some spelling review

Math

Saxon 8/7 with some SM word problems

History

The Human Odyssey (a break from TOG for these two)

Possibly Geography with VHSG if it's offered

Science

Life Science/Biology

Foreign Language

will depend on finances

I am starting get some things in place.  So far I have:

Math- Geometry w/Jann in Texas

Language Arts:

writing: Lost Tools of Writing Level 1 with Coram Deo Tutorials https://coramdeotutorials.com/

Literature: "Out of Silent Planet", "The Lord of the Rings" using Progeny Press, also Robinson Carusoe.  Short Stories using "Little Worlds: A Collection of Short Stories for the Middle School" and his Lesson Plans.

Poetry:

Shakespeare:  Using "Teaching Shakespeare to kids" book

Vocab/Grammer: MCT

Science:  Earth Science (creating my own)

History:  Civics/Government for elections in the Fall (icivics.org) and DVDs.    Renaissance in the Spring 

Music: Trumpet in Band

Picture Study: Michelangelo, and others from Renaissance era.

Mics.  Robotics 4-H, Thinking Toolbox, Philosophy For Kids 

Edited by Nicholas_mom

History:  Civics/Government for elections in the Fall     Renaissance in the Spring 

Curious what you are planning on using for these. I was also thinking of government for fall and Renaissance for spring.

• Like 1