Menu

2016-2017 6th grade plan

Maybe I'm ready to post. This is what I have for now anyway.

Bible: Sword Study

Math: CLE

Language Arts:  R&S English, Dictation Day by Day, English from the Roots Up, WWS 1

or

Spelling Wisdom with Using Language Well, English from the Roots Up, WTM/CM writing with some lessons from WriteOn!

(totally on the fence with this choice)

Literature: tied to history, but pulling from numerous other lists

History: Either SCM Modern or homegrown Middle Ages. 

Science: BJU 6

Spanish: not sure what yet

Family units in Geography, Art, Nature, History, Church History, Literature, Bible, memory work....

Piano

Trumpet/Homeschool band

Dance

Youth Choir

Edited by KeriJ

I'm trying to talk myself into waiting to plan until after the next edition of WTM is released. I'm thinking I'll do a crash planning session in August. But, after 22 years of homeschooling, spring weather just causes an urge to plan in me. Is anyone else wanting to see the new edition before they plan? I'll have my final four students in 3rd, 6th, 8th, and 11th next year.

• Like 2

I'm trying to talk myself into waiting to plan until after the next edition of WTM is released. I'm thinking I'll do a crash planning session in August. But, after 22 years of homeschooling, spring weather just causes an urge to plan in me. Is anyone else wanting to see the new edition before they plan? I'll have my final four students in 3rd, 6th, 8th, and 11th next year.

Yes, I've thought that myself. An August release is hard on those of us who love planning! ;-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Art:   Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters, MaryAnn F. Kohl

Bible:  Bitesized Theology; God's Big Picture  

Grammar:  Christian Light Education (CLE) grade 6

History:  Mystery of History--book 1 and some of book 2 (will do all 4 books in 3 years of school)

Logic:  Analogy Challenges Level B by MindWare; Grid Perplextors Level B by MindWare; Rush Hour puzzle game

Math:  CLE 6

Music:  The Jumbo Book of Music, Levine

The Story of the Orchestra

Mike Venezia books

Reading:  Figuratively Speaking, plus reading all the Harry Potter books together aloud

Science:  BJU 6th grade

Spelling Included in grammar

Writing included in grammar and Figuratively Speaking

Vocabulary Included in grammar

• Like 1

Oldest dd will be going into sixth grade next year. She is a creative, out of the box kid, and hates busy work. She's had plenty of struggles with writing, but is coming along nicely as of late. She is bright, but very much a little girl still, who wants to get school done so she can play. She loves reading and will read for hours everyday. She is also on a gymnastics team, which has her at the gym 9 hours per week. January-April is meet season, which takes up most every weekend, so I try to make sure she has plenty of down/play time during the week.

*Math-CLE 6, Alcumus, and Algebra in the Real World

*History-she'll listen to SOTW in the car because I play it for my little girls, and she will be doing the Creek Edge Press task cards to go along with it. We have lots of history reference and literature books I've collected over the years.

*Science-nature class at the nature preserve, task cards to expand on Mr. Q (physics? Not sure yet) that I'll be reading with the little girls. We also do a ton of interest led stuff, and have lots of kits and materials here for her to explore.

*Language arts-

Grammar-fix it

Writing-IEW SWI B

Spelling-Phonetic zoo

Reading/literature-she reads well above grade level, and averages about 200 books per year on her free time. I'll also pull some books to go along with our history studies, and some good classics I'll read aloud at bedtime or listen to on our way to the gym.

*Logic-we've done some of the workbook logic curriculum, and she loves those. We also play games requiring planning and logic skills. I'm unsure of where to go next with this...any ideas?

She does a coop and this year has done science, geography, art, martial arts, and a programming/3-d printing class. I'd love for her to continue art and the computer class, but other than that, I don't care what she chooses. And then there is gymnastics.

Edited by Gentlemommy

Lets see...

Math: Next year will be finishing up BA year 5, by then we should have more books, and SM

Language arts:

Grammar: R&S 6

Spelling R&S 6

K12 literature program plus assigned reading from TWTM 6th grade lists

Writing: WWS2 using online class at WTA, so I guess Expository 2

Latin: Lively Latin

Science: Either CPO Earth and Space or CPO Life Science.  I think Earth and Space, and Life science for 7th grade

History: Year 2 of the 4 year history cycle using K12 Human Odyssey and many, many other things.

Logic: Critical Thinking 1 by Harandek

Music: Continue with weekly piano and drum lessons, maybe children's choir if I can convince him to join

And he will continue with his demanding ballet schedule. He is hoping to get accepted into the company in 8th grade.

I am planning ds11's 6th grade. He will be 11.7.

Rod and Staff English 7

TPS online writing Narnia ........Would this be too hard for him? He has been doing IEW writing A and B and has been writing 5-paragraph essays. He also did half of Jump In writing. What other online lighter writing options are there for his level? By the way, I am considering WHA Fundamentals of Expository Writing for ds(13.8 when school starts in the fall) for next school year

I wonder what online writing your 6th grader will take if any.

My will be 6th grader will be taking Writing Fundamentals 6 at the Potter's School next year.  My other ds took the Narnia class in 7th and he was pretty advanced for his age.  Narnia focuses a lot on writing a thesis and defending it.  Most likely, they'll have you do a placement test to see if his writing is up to speed for that level.  The writing at the Potter's school is pretty academic and they'll make him get rid of all of his "be" verbs (am, is, are, etc).  I would suggest you enroll him in a lower class.  Either way, they're going to make him take a placement test.

• Like 2

I finished sketching out the school-year calendar, now I need to sit down and write out a weekly schedule of subjects, rather than the "do-the-next-thing" placeholder I have by every line. (This is for my twins)

Math: AOPS pre-A

and for the other, shift from the MM Blue series into MM 7

Writing: continue WWS1

Grammar: Analytical Grammar

Spelling: continue with Spelling Power (it would be too optimistic to think we would finish next year, although their skill is improving along with their maturity, thank goodness!)

Science: finish BFSU3, then something to round out the year.

History: Middle Ages, mostly read, occasionally write and/or discuss. I thought we would always discuss, but reality has not been kind to my dream-history.

Foreign language :

Latin - continue BBoLL2

Spanish - try this online after many years of study at home coasting on what I learned in high school.

German - I think we will spend at least to the end if this calendar year working through the basics on our own. I'm nervous about a third language, but everything else is going smoothly, and it wasn't my idea, sooo...

Other : we do a Ă‚Â½ day co-op which is a nice social outlet

Ballet goes up to 4x a week with pre-pointe

Soccer is more variable, but Scouts has become weekly

Piano

I have to stop here, I think that is everything, but the part of my brain in charge of the schedule is starting to panic. :-)

Edited by SusanC

My will be 6th grader will be taking Writing Fundamentals 6 at the Potter's School next year. My other ds took the Narnia class in 7th and he was pretty advanced for his age. Narnia focuses a lot on writing a thesis and defending it. Most likely, they'll have you do a placement test to see if his writing is up to speed for that level. The writing at the Potter's school is pretty academic and they'll make him get rid of all of his "be" verbs (am, is, are, etc). I would suggest you enroll him in a lower class. Either way, they're going to make him take a placement test.

He has been doing writing with banned words such as be verbs, go, say or says. He is used to having to write strong verbs, quality adjectives, various sentence openers, dressups, all the IEW style things. This year he has been writing one five-paragraph essay every two weeks. The Narnia class might be a good fit.

He has been doing writing with banned words such as be verbs, go, say or says. He is used to having to write strong verbs, quality adjectives, various sentence openers, dressups, all the IEW style things. This year he has been writing one five-paragraph essay every two weeks. The Narnia class might be a good fit.

You could try it, take the placement test and see what they say.  He may do just fine.  Be very aware though that the English department of Potter's school is considered honors level.  I feel like my 15 year old has gotten a very solid grounding in writing with the Potter's school.  Overall, I am very please with the quality of education my 15 year old has gotten from his classes there.  Narnia is a great class.

• Like 1

I think we've got next year pretty well nailed down: 

Math: Math Mammoth 6A/6B
History: WTMA Middle Ages 
English: WTMA Expository Writing I, Sequential Spelling, Analytical Grammar, literature assigned by me
Science: Ellen McHenry's chemistry for the fall, botany for the spring

Foreign language: Japanese immersion camp this summer, continuing a weekly session with Japanese tutor for the school year, and might add in a second tutor via Skype for more practice 
Music: continue piano lessons
PE: continue climbing, might add in swimming or yoga
Other: continue nature/wilderness classes

Edited by Wabi Sabi

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished up my planning, it may change a bit though.

Math - Finish Singapore 5B, possibly move to Math Mammoth Pre-Algegra or continue Singapore 6A

Language Arts - Finish Hake 5, Spelling Workout, Cover Story

Literature - Moving Beyond the Page - Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry, The Giver, Secrets of the Andes, The Tree that Time Built, and Esperanza Rising

Science - Pieced together, maybe some lapbooks

Social Studies - Moving Beyond the Page - Civil Rights, Incas, Aztecs, and Mayas, North and South America

Maybe Story of the World?

Health - Kidshealth.org

Foreign - Duolingo Spanish

• 2 weeks later...

Math -

Strayer-Upton (Book 2)

Life of Fred (Fractions, Decimals/Percents)

Practical Exercises in Geometry (Eggar)

Ten Things All Future Mathematicians and Scientists Must Know ... (Zaccaro)

Bible/Theology -

Westminster Catechism

Victor Journey Through Bible

Torches of Joy (Dekker)

personal Scripture reading

Ancient History -

Pharaoh's of Ancient Egypt (Payne)

Story of Greeks (Guerber)

Canadian History -

Bold Ventures (Rogers)

19th Century History -

Abe Lincoln's World (Foster), plus a supplemental book list

British History - 

Our Island Story - 1st half (Marshall)

Science -

Blaise Pascal and Isaac Newton (McPherson)

Always Inventing - Graham Bell (Matthews)

Wild Animals I Have Known (Seton)

Hidden Worlds (Kramer)

Ultimate Guide to Microscope (Levine)

Madam How Lady Why (Kingsley)

Geography -

Marco Polo (Komroff)

Cartier Sails Saint Lawrence (Everill)

Nature Lore -

Two Little Savages (Seton)

Poetry -

You Come Too - Favorite Poems (Frost)

English -

McGuffey's 3rd Reader & McGuffey's Speller

ABC's and All Their Tricks (Bishop)

School Composition (Maxwell)

Sentence Composing Elementary School (Killgallon)

Sentence Family (Hughes)

copy book

dictation

Literature -

Book House - Volume 6/7

Robinson Crusoe

Oliver Twist

Foreign Language -

Hey Andrew Greek

Other -

Mastering Computer Typing (Roberts)

Complete Wilderness Training Manual (McManners)

TaeKwon Do

soccer

Morning Time subjects not included.

We start June 1st! I can't believe I have a middle schooler.

This is the shortest list I've ever posted, because for the first time ever I'm going with a boxed curriculum. It feels SO WEIRD. But (a) it looks so amazing! and (b) I am very conscious of how much I've fallen down on the job this year with homeschooling. We've consistently done reading, writing, and math, but beyond that I have really let things slide. Time for a more laid-out-for-us schedule.

Alex will be doing:

Build Your Library 7 (social studies, language arts, literature, art, reading, Elemental Science Chemistry for the Logic Stage)

Possibly supplement ES Chemistry with The Joy of Chemistry

Finish up Jacobs, Mathematics: A Human Endeavor

Finish up ACT algebra (Life and Times of Chuckles the Rocket Dog)

Begin AOPS Algebra

That's it. BYL and math. It feels so weiiiird.

This is the first time we are going to outsource pretty much everything for my rising 6th grader. It feels strange, but this kid wants social interaction and outside accountability of any sort.

We are planning on AOPS geometry class, English - Socratic dialogue, wws2 with WTMA, intro to lit online class, physics with a Clover Creek. That leaves history with me, which is basically just going to be one giant reading list. No writing in history because so many of his outside classes require writing. French is also in house and that's the only subject I have to pull my weight. And we will continue with MCT at home as well.

• Like 1

Is my kid the only one not in advanced math?   :huh:

Mine wasn't this year for 6th grade.  You aren't alone.  :)  She was still finishing up R&S 5 til Christmas, and is now halfway through R&S 6 at the end of the year.  She'll finish it at Christmas of 7th grade and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I think we have a plan!

English:
*Writing With Skill 1
*Painless Grammar (lazy but I got it cheap at the Scholastic sale ;) )
*British Literature - leaning toward: Alice in Wonderland, Gawain and the Green Knight, Hitchhiker's Guide, A Christmas Carol, Much Ado About Nothing

Math:
*Pre-Algebra : Jousting Armadillos

Science:
*Space and Earth through Big History

Social Studies:
*British History (we've got a collection of books and videos and Great courses coming together)

Foreign Language:
*Koine Greek (Starting with Code Cracker then Elementary Greek)

Electives: something with our co-op

I'm later getting my act together, and we'll probably be moving late summer, so we'll see how well all this comes together, but...

Math: Finish CLE 6 and move into either Saxon 8/7 or Algebra 1/2, depending on where she places

Science: Earth & Space -- thinking Elemental or possibly Mr. Q Advanced. Either way we'll have field trips to a nearby emerald mine, underground caverns, and the National Weather Service!

History: Middle Ages with History Odyssey, supplemented with primary source evaluation using Reading Like a Historian from Stanford (a big hit this year!). The reading list is extensive, and she's not a historical fiction fan, so we might make some adjustments here. We prefer to focus on works originating in the time period.

Language Arts: Spelling Workout H, R&S 6, finish WWS1 and either move into WWS2 or supplement with more creative writing exercises

Literature: Working list includes: The Voyages of Dr. Doolittle, The Count of Monte Cristo, And Then There Were None, Heidi, Number the Stars, Oliver Twist, The Jungle Book, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Old Man and the Sea, and A Doll's House, plus units in poetry and short story ("The Raven," "Kubla Khan," and "The Lottery," among others)

Bible: God's Great Covenant: New Testament 1, plus Luther's Small Catechism, hymns and psalms

Latin: Latin for Children B

Fine Arts: Harmony Fine Arts, plus live performances at least once per semester. Looking for some kind of simple "learn to draw" program that we can use along with ds5

I have a 6th grader on paper, but he started so young he's more like a 5 1/2 grader! 

Math: 

Life of Fred working up to fractions (he finished TT 4/5 so we are solidifying "all the maths" before we dive into the world of algebra in 7th/8th)

Khan Academy 15-20 min daily

Miquon Math Purple book for review and critical thinking

Language Arts:

Daily Grams

Writing with Ease 4 followed by 

IEW TBD

Bible and History:

MFW 1850-Modern Times

Made for Work

PE:

jiu jitsu

swim

kids get dirty in the 'hood

Science: 

TBD

Service:

1x/week taking care of horses at a local rescue

Charter School Classes:

Hands on Science Lab

Humanities (SoTW 3 projects)

Writing Workshop

Fitness (basically scooter/skateboard to the beach while learning anatomy and physiology. Super fun!)

Chess

Guitar/ piano

Edited by The Blue Turkey

Fitness

Daily exercise

Healthy diet

Math

CLE Sunrise Math 602-610

Chess & games

English

Assigned Independent Reading across the subjects, with some written work

Grammar & Mechanics -- CLE LA 601-605 (half a level this year, G & M only)

Composition -- Writing with Skill 1 (complete)

Vocabulary -- Wordly Wise 5 (finish last few lessons) + Wordly Wise 6 + Roots Up cards (Volume 1)

Spelling -- none (she's done)

French

Ecoutez, Parlez -- complete our work (review & new) in all four books, including all four workbooks

French Copywork & Dictation -- Bible books, Bible verses, French proverbs

French Books -- read 10 children's books in French, read 15 French Bible stories

French Music & Movies -- listen to French CDs, watch French movies

French Culture -- read about French culture, browse web for good French links, cook French food

Music

Instrument lessons & practice

Youth choir

Christian Life Hymnal

Bible (as a group)

CLE Bible: Gospels (one Light Unit every two months)

Junior Bible Quiz (non-competing)

Weekly church-based Bible memory program

Literature (as a group)

Shakespeare in September: "As You Like It" (we choose a play each year & enjoy it for a month)

Book Club -- We read aloud & discuss chapter books. There may be more but here's a starter list:

By the Shores of Silver Lake

Heidi

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

Pippi Longstocking

The Silver Chair

Charlotte's Web

Five Children & It

Wind in the Willows

Betsy & Tacy Go Downtown

The Railway Children

The Borrowers

Poetry Teas & Cocoa Classics (in between chapter books, we read poetry or children's classics while enjoying tea or cocoa)

History (as a group)

Ancient History (SOTW, MOH, lots of books & other resources; we plan to finish Ancients this year)

Geography (as a group)

USA Geography review (after we wrap up Ancient History)

Science & Health (as a group)

Introduction to Physics & Chemistry (7 months)

Puberty, Sexuality, How Babies Grow (1 month)

Nature Study: Insects (2 months)

Rotating Electives (as a group)

• September = Latin & Greek (review)
  • October = Composer: Handel
  • November = Latin & Greek
  • December = Advent & Christmas Traditions
  • January = Latin & Greek
  • February = Artist: Monet
  • March = Latin & Greek
  • April = Kites
  • May = Latin & Greek
  • June = Summer Fun Activities
Edited by Sahamamama

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to type this all out before I read any other posts, just so I don't get distracted!!!

So here goes:

I'm holding my son back for a semester, at least, maybe the whole year.  There's a ton of different reasons, but the main one is because he's not academically ready to deal with 6th grade content.  I'm going to work on shoring up his math and paragraph writing, as well as taking responsibility for his own work during this six month period. 

But I do have a plan--planned before this decision was made so I don't want my hard planning work to go to waste...

Bible--Starting Strong

Math--A combination of TT, MUS and Math Mammoth

Grammar--Glencoe 6th Grade LA

History and Geography--We live in Brazil so I'm doing a unit on Brazilian history and Geography that will last 6 weeks.  Then he'll be doing a History of Science unit I'm making up with a couple different resources.  And for geography he's doing Mapping the World with Art and a Basic Geography workbook from Glencoe. 

Science--He's doing The Elements and Carbon Chemistry by Ellen McHenry with lots of reading and experiments for the first semester and then another semester of Physics using Bite-Sized Physics and Tiner's History of Physics.

Art--Simply Draw

Portuguese Tutor

Typing with Rapid typing

Logic--Reading Detective and then Building Thinking Skills--Figural--these are the highlights of his week

Piano Lessons

This is our first year homeschooling, and my list feels light after reading everyone else's but I also don't want to crash and burn after our first month, so we're starting with this and hopefully adding more in during the year or next year.

Math - He was accepted to an accelerated math class at a local univ (designed for advanced middle school kids).  Basically, he'll be doing Alg I and II this year.

Literature - I'm still working on a list.

Writing - IEW Student Intensive B

ELTL 3 - grammar, etc.

Science - Elemental Science Physics for the Logic Stage

History - SOTW 1 with younger siblings, with additional readings.

Piano lessons

Maybe cello lessons

Boy Scouts

• Like 2

Sahamamama, tell me about how you use CLE LU's. I noticed you are only doing 602-609 in math and variations in other subjects.

I'm interested, too.

From experience, I know you don't have to use the first light unit in math and you can also get away with skipping the last couple. I found that out when I lost a few light units and moved onto the next level without a problem one year.

The Bible and LA schedule seem appealing, too, but since I don't have experience with them, I'd like to learn more.

• Like 1

Sahamamama, tell me about how you use CLE LU's. I noticed you are only doing 602-609 in math and variations in other subjects.

:blush: Wellllllll.... the 609 was a typo, actually. I went back and fixed it, LOL.

We skip 601 for Math because it's review, and we sort of keep math going over the summer with other things, so they don't need that much review. The girls only do nine LUs for Math -- Books 2 through 10. That gives us a month at the end (June) to wrap up lose ends, play games, learn some new chess moves, or goof off with math games on the computer. Or catch up if we've fallen behind.

For CLE Bible, there are only 5 LUs, so we are going to stretch each book out over two months. We've never done the CLE Bible before, and we don't want to feel like we're doing LUs all day long, KWIM? I thought that half a book a month would be enough, and we'll do that as a group, probably. That's partly why I choose the 400 series, but the main reason was that we wanted to study the Gospels. I really like this set, from what I've studied in it so far. The first LU (401) is a series of stories set in New Testament times. These stories teach a nice amount of "Bible background" information. We'll see how it goes this year.

For Grammar, we were simply burned out on First Language Lessons. We only ever did the grammar in that, anyway, and it dragged along because it just could not be done independently at all. My oldest student was finishing up Level 4, and the twins were finishing up Level 3 when we declared ourselves done. :blink: Honestly, I couldn't take it anymore. I gave the girls the placement tests for CLE and decided to start them on 500 (4th graders) and 600 (6th grader), but at "half pace." So the plan is finish 501-505 and 601-605 this year, and the rest of each of those levels next year. We don't plan to do spelling, writing, or penmanship with CLE LA -- just the grammar and mechanics. But those lessons are long and challenging, with lots of diagramming, so I thought that doing a book a month would be too much. One LU every two months should work out. Again, we'll see how that goes! HTH.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Math:                      AOPS Intro to Algebra

Latin:                       Visual Latin 2   (decided to stop latin, but we love the program)

French:                  Duolingo 

Greek:                     Duolingo 

Language Arts :     MCT level 5 

Grammar: Magic Lens 1 and 4Practice 1

Vocab: WiTW1

Writing: AAW1 and probably Cover Story

Literature: MCT Search and Time literature;   lots of good books

History:                   Notgrass, America the Beautiful

Science:                  maybe Exploration Education Advanced, or homegrown

Self- directed notebooking and Thames & Kosmos kits and Snap Circuits with Guide

PE:                          She is a competitive gymnast, trains 5-6 days a week

She wants to learn Greek as well.  

Here are my updated, finalized plans for my 6th grader:

History: SOTW 4, post-WWII, with lots of library reads. We'll supplement past year 2000, then if time allows we'll loop back to prehistory. We also do current events once a week.

Instead of looping, we'll spend a couple months on writing history research papers, learning to do index cards and bibliographies. Prehistory/SOTW1 will have to wait for 7th grade.

Science: Biology, likely RSO Biology Level 2, plus observations of a frog pond. ETA: supplemented with McHenry units on Protozoa, The Cell, and maybe Botany.

Fall will be Botany, with weekly observational drawings. Spring will probably be The Cell. Unprompted, she's already started making charts of observations about the frog pond.

Math: Saxon 7/6, followed by either Saxon 8/7 or Algebra 1/2.

Literature: custom list, including Beauty by Robin McKinley, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Time Machine, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Odyssey (adaptation?). Eventually the list will be 9-10 books. We're also going to more purposefully include poetry.

Literature will be a shelf of books and we will alternate who picks the next book to read. Additional titles include: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry; The Sign of the Beaver; On the Banks of Plum Creek; Stardust; Fahrenheit 451; Much Ado About Nothing. Fridays will rotate between Grimm's Fairy Tales, poetry, and a book of short stories.

Spanish: second half of an old high school book, since she's enjoying it this year.

Logic: Logic Liftoff, a variety puzzle book, Mindbenders book 4, and Android or HTML programming.

This year's programming will be Python.

Art: she wants to learn graphics design on the computer so she can make cartoon videos, so I've been looking at software for that; we'll also continue with weekly multimedia projects and I'll probably get her a book on how to use colored pencils (i.e. blending, shading, realistic tips). We'll probably also do something weekly related to the novel she'll write in composition.

She'll have weekly instruction in animation, as well as art journaling and a multimedia project. I also got her "Mess", so she can experiment without worrying about the end product. Friday's will be coloring or drawing.

Spelling: she wants to go back to Evan Moor

Vocab: Vocab from Classical Roots 6

Health: I have a middle/high school text we'll probably spread over several years, possibly adding in units on STDs

In health, we're also focusing on genetic disorders. PE focuses on hand and arm strength this year, since she's complained about an inability to do things due to weakness in this area.

Life Skills: focus on cooking more main dishes (at least weekly), internet safety/etiquette, continuing Learning to Learn, maybe adding Easy Peasy's Foundations.

I ended up dropping cooking and EP Foundations, so I could more adequately cover internet safety/etiquette using Common Sense Education's middle school curriculum.

Grammar: it became apparent this year that she needs to learn how to diagram sentences, so I've got to get something to teach that.

Diagramming was dropped to focus on comma usage. If that doesn't clear up the issue, we'll try diagramming next year.

Composition: She started writing fan-fiction this year in her spare time, so I want to get her a novel writing curriculum. She'll also be updating her blog and do daily journaling. ETA: we have a published author in our co-op who has agreed to teach a writing class to help kids go from short story length to novels.

The co-op class wasn't offered after all, so she'll be doing Adventures in Fantasy. My husband has also decided to participate, so it should be interesting to see both their stories.

Elective: now that she'll officially be in middle school, I wanted to let her choose an area to study. She said dragonology. I'm torn between 1) pulling something together with dinosaurs, medieval stories (Beowulf, Saint George and the Dragon, etc.), cultural differences, and documentaries or 2) telling her to pick something that I don't have to make from scratch. :p ETA: I had her look through a list of electives, and her top picks were: mythology, fashion and style, or creative writing. I think the co-op class will fit the creative writing request. I'll probably add a few mythology choices to literature as well.

Her electives are going to be creative writing and animation.

For December, I'd like to do half-days and then try the following for the afternoons:

week 1, baking

week 2, gift making/crafts

week 3, Girl Scout badges

week 4, enjoy presents

Books have been bought and the plans are all written up now. I just need to print out the plans and file them (and any loose worksheets), then I'll be ready to start school on August 1st! Once I'm set, I'll update my signature and start uploading my plans to my blog.

Ruth

OP here. Ds passed the The Potter's School Journey Through Narnia writing placement test and got enrolled officially. Yay! I am excited about how much he will learn in this class.

I might get CLE Changing Frontiers American History for this boy and ds13 to do together instead of using America the Beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning ds11's 6th grade. He will be 11.7.

Bible: just read

Math:

finish the last 1/3 of Dolciani Prealgebra, do 2/3 of TT algebra 1

History

Notgrass America the Beautiful with American literature readers

Rod and Staff English 7

TPS online writing Narnia ........Would this be too hard for him? He has been doing IEW writing A and B and has been writing 5-paragraph essays. He also did half of Jump In writing. What other online lighter writing options are there for his level? By the way, I am considering WHA Fundamentals of Expository Writing for ds(13.8 when school starts in the fall) for next school year.

Science

Apologia Human Anatomy and Physiology with lab at co-op

Latin

Second half of Henle Latin 1

Martial arts 2x a week

Co-op art, gym, Apologia Human Anatomy lab

Boy Scout meeting once a week

Computer science

I wonder what online writing your 6th grader will take if any.

Update: Finish the last chapter of Dociani Prealgebra, do the complete TT algebra 1 with LOF Beginnign Algebra

Journey through Narnia

He dropped Henle Latin and will take La Clase Divertida

Made a few changes. We started last week.  So far, so good. :)

Maybe I'm ready to post. This is what I have for now anyway.

Bible: Sword Study

Math: CLE    R&S 6

Language Arts:  R&S English, Dictation Day by Day, English from the Roots Up, WWS 1

or

Spelling Wisdom with Using Language Well, English from the Roots Up, WTM/CM writing with some lessons from WriteOn!

(totally on the fence with this choice)     Switched to Cottage Press for all language arts but kept English from the Roots Up.

Literature: tied to history, but pulling from numerous other lists

History: Either SCM Modern or homegrown Middle Ages. 

Science: BJU 6

Spanish: not sure what yet Duolingo

Family units in Geography, Art, Nature, History, Church History, Literature, Bible, memory work....

Added Fallacy Detective

Piano

Trumpet/Homeschool band

Dance

Youth Choir

We're 20 days into our 8th year of homeschooling and my youngest child is doing 6th grade. Last year for 5th grade we started using BJU Distance Learning DVD's because I was caring for my terminally ill mother in law. We loved it and we're sticking to it this year because I will have a newborn baby. We are leaving in 2 weeks for a 3 week trip to China so that is why we started our school year so early. We are not taking school work with us and I plan to take off the week we return to adjust to the time change and a newborn baby. (I will have custody of my granddaughter who is due in 11 days. I will be going to China to bring her to the US) 

Math: Teaching Textbooks 7 (she is already almost half way through because she started it towards the end of 5th)

Reading: BJU 6th

English: BJU 6th

Science: BJU 6th

History: Notgrass Uncle Sam and You (she is about 1/3 through this as we started it towards the end of 5th). She is also working her way through the Sisters in Time books. 

Spanish: BJU but not starting until October

PE: Karate and Archery

Piano 

Edited by Berta

We're 20 days into our 8th year of homeschooling and my youngest child is doing 6th grade. Last year for 5th grade we started using BJU Distance Learning DVD's because I was caring for my terminally ill mother in law. We loved it and we're sticking to it this year because I will have a newborn baby. We are leaving in 2 weeks for a 3 week trip to China so that is why we started our school year so early. We are not taking school work with us and I plan to take off the week we return to adjust to the time change and a newborn baby. (I will have custody of my granddaughter who is due in 11 days. I will be going to China to bring her to the US)

Math: Teaching Textbooks 7 (she is already almost half way through because she started it towards the end of 5th)

Reading: BJU 6th

English: BJU 6th

Science: BJU 6th

History: Notgrass Uncle Sam and You (she is about 1/3 through this as we started it towards the end of 5th). She is also working her way through the Sisters in Time books.

Spanish: BJU but not starting until October

PE: Karate and Archery

Piano

We were in China to visit my family for two weeks in May. Which cities are you going to? Is your newborn granddaughter a Chinese?

Math: Math Mammoth 7, possibly AOPS pre-algebra if she finishes early.

Grammar: Rod and Staff 6

Writing: a combination of WWS1 and W&R Chreia and Proverb

Literature, History, Bible, etc: TOG Ancients

Science: BJU Science 6

French: Classical Academic Press French for Children

Piano: Hoffman Academy

Logic: Finish Fallacy Detective...???

Morning Time includes: Bible, memorization of poetry, shakespeare, speeches, hymns and songs, read aloud, artist study, picture study, composer/music study, figuratively speaking, and more. 

My son is entering 6th grade:

finish up Math Mammoth 6 (the old version), then Jousting Armadillos

Beast Academy 4C/4D (for fun)

Zaccaros Challenge Math

Spectrum Writing 6th

some Brave Writer

Vocabulary from Classic Roots 6

Mosdos Press Pearl

Together with his sister:

History Odyssey Level 2 but using SOTW and the Usborne Encyclopedia

Science - microscope, botany and zoology using a bunch of stuff

Duolingo Spanish

I'm teaching them to read music and some keyboard

Choir

Tai Kwan Do

swim lessons

bowling

4-H STEM club

hiking and geocaching

Well, we decided on a move 6 weeks ago, and are in a new state and still trying to unbox, so my planning is behind. However, here's the updated version:

ELA

- LLftLotR

- W&R 4 and 5

- Killgallon Grammar for MS

Math

- BA 5C (crossing fingers it's here before October)

- AOPS PreAlgebra at his pace

Latin

- Finish BBoLL2 and start Henle

Science

- Ichthyology studies

- Integrated Science at the middle school

Geography

World Geography put together by Mom using Trail Guide as an outline

Fine Arts

- saxophone with middle school band

- piano (still looking for new teacher)

Other

- Soccer

- Foreign languages exploration (he wants to learn too many so we will do a survey this year using Mind Snacks and Duolingo)

Other requests I am still working on

- 4H animal project

- First Lego League

Here's the rough draft:

ELA - MCT Grammar Voyage, W&R Chreia & Proverb/Refutation & Confirmation, Figuratively Speaking, his choice of books from my literature list

Math - Jousting Armadillos?

Latin - Online class somewhere

Science - Ellen McHenry The Elements, FLL Robotics

History - possibly mom-made unit studies

Fine Arts - piano, saxophone, music theater

PE - soccer, ??

• Like 1