Menu

2nd Grade Planning Thread

amyc78

Thanks. I must have been blind.

Actually, it looks like they updated the series - I'd been looking at Write *from* History, and for that I don't see level 1 cursive, but this Writing *through* History (same author, look inside feature on Amazon looks like the books are pretty much the same, different cover) does have level 1 cursive. If I search for Write from History, Google give me a link to a page on the Brookdale site with the old books, without the level 1 cursive. Gah.

Now I need to go ask my son if he wants cursive or manuscript next year (assuming I am getting this book - I was thinking of doing it, we'd be doing the middle ages one though).

• Like 1

Math: MUS Beta

Reading: Finishing up Phonics Pathways with lots of read alouds and easy readers. 

Writing: WriteShop

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser 

Grammar: FLL

Spelling: Spelling Workout 

We'll also be doing SOTW1 and RSO Life with my 3rd grader. 

• 3 weeks later...

4 weeks left of 1st,currently doing:

Math: Singapore 3A

LA: ELTL 2

History: Biblioplan Medieval

Science: Creek Edge Press Life Science task cards

2nd grade plans:

Math: Finish Singapore 3, start 4

LA: Finish ELTL 2,start 3

History: Finish Biblioplan Medieval, start Wayfarers Early Modern

Science: Finish task cards, use Wayfarers science when we start that for history

The youngest is going into 2nd!!!  Yay!  

(Though I forgot and was about to go to the 1st grade thread and post there... nope, she's pretty much done with 1st lol... :D )

Grammar: FLL 2

Reading/Phonics: Finish up OPG, do ETC 3-5, do a book or two of Beyond the Code, reading aloud from WTM lists and free reading

Handwriting/Writing: We're going to do handwriting sans official curriculum this year - so many free resources online and I can show her how to make the letters for starting cursive.  She still loves the Draw Write Now books, so she can do those for 'practice'

History: SOTW 2

Math: MUS Beta

Science: WTM 2nd grade earth science/ astronomy

My 2nd grade plan (third draft):

Math: Baird's Graded Arithmetic, Life of Fred Elementary Series
Grammar: Rod & Staff 2
Writing: Writing With Ease
Spelling: Spelling Workout
History/Geography: A Child's History of the World or Story of the World, and something for American history
Science: something
Latin: maybe
Music: hopefully
Art: with his aunt

Bible & Literature: with the family

Forget it. I'm firing my planning committee.  :tongue_smilie:

Edited by SGPS
  • Like 3

We will continue through the summer at a relaxed schedule and see where we get in the fall.

Math: CLE 204 - into CLE 300

Science: MP What's That Insect w/sister in 5th grade or ???

History/Geography: Currently doing MP's Greek Myths (as a read aloud and discuss), Famous Men of Rome with sister in 5th grade, learn States and Capitals and locations on map this summer

Reading: AAR 3-4, Progressive Phonics online when we need a break from AAR

Spelling: AAS 2-?

Writing: It's enough for him to just write in cursive the dictation from AAS. Sometimes he tells me stories, which I write for him.

Grammar: English Grammar Revolution this summer with two older siblings, won't worry too much about this until 4th or 5th grade, plus we'll be starting Latin and learning some grammar with that.

Latin: MP Prima Latina

Bible: Not sure yet, maybe just memorize Bible verses

Art/Music: Not sure yet (I'm focusing more on math, reading, and spelling.)

2nd grade plans:

Finish SOTW 1 and start SOTW2

Tag along with world geography (big sister's doing BYL 7)

RSO Chemistry

WWE 2

Shelf of 16 Mom-chosen chapter books he's expected to read sometime during 2nd grade

AAS 1 and 2

Finish MEP2

Start Beast Academy 3

• Like 1

Updated!

Reading - Phonics Pathways, Treasures, then MP's 2nd grade Lit list

Spelling - Spalding

Cursive - Don Potter's Shortcut to Cursive

Writing - WWE2 using the Instructor's Guide, SOTW1 (then SOTW2) and Bible stories for narrations, and FLL for copywork

Grammar - FLL2, the old combined volume, omitting all non-grammar lessons

Math - Math Mammoth 3 with flashcards for facts practice

Latin - MP's Prima Latina

History - finish SOTW1,then SOTW2

Geography - Daily Geography 2 and 3 (DS loves geography)

Science - continuing BFSU, mostly tread A this year, then finishing tread B

Fine Arts Fridays - includes poetry, composer study, Child Size Masterpieces, and the occasional Art Tango lesson

Morning Time - includes prayer, hymn study, subject read alouds, and children's lit read alouds

Edited by carriede

So, since it's been over two months:

Finishing 1st grade:

Daily word ladders grades K-1

Kumon cursive writing words

Kumon word problems grade 1

Hopefully finishing SOTW 1 before September (with Celery - see 4th grade planning thread)  Probably not happening before September - more likely sometime in October

Finish classes at science museum

TKD belt test for low blue stripe in June

Finish reading skills grade 1 workbook

Dance class at the YMCA

Summer:

One week of day camp at Y in outdoorsy location because still too young for away camp (next year!!)

Maybe 4-H sprout camp (2 nights away camp) Probably not - saving money for trip to Europe

Maybe botany/art day camp at botanical gardens Probably not, see above

Maybe rent a cabin for a few days to a week

Hopefully pass deep end test in pool - currently can swim the length of the short side of the pool unassisted

2nd grade-ish:

TKD

Probably homeschool swim & gym

Probably homeschool choir and theater (if Celery is doing guitar & theater at same time/place)

SOTW 2 with Celery

Probably Write from Medieval History (cursive or manuscript TBD)

Have a set reading time, move into chapter books DONE, continue reading more chapter books

Kumon word problems grade 2 and maybe 3 (leftovers from Celery, though iirc not written in)

Finish Rosetta Stone Dutch

Scholastic Success with Maps Grade 3 (because grade 2 is practically the same as grade 1)

Magic School Bus science kits since MIL gave us a subscription

Maybe a class at science museum or nature center in spring.

Field trip to The Netherlands for Sinterklaas - mid-November through early December, also visit some castles or w/e

• 4 weeks later...

Okay- I am going to leave my plan right here, with the caveat that I reserve the right to change it at any time and I probably will do so!

Summer:  First Language Lessons (first edition I think), finish the last 10 lessons of Level 1 at a pace of one or two a week.

BookShark 2 Intermediate Readers

He has a cast on his arm, so I guess we will do a math drill app for math facts instead of Math Minute pages.

Starting July 11 for Second Grade:

Math: Singapore 1B, 2A

Reading: BookShark 2 Readers

Phonics: Explode the Code 7

Handwriting: Pentime Transition

Science: Sonlight Level B

Moving Beyond the Page: Age 6-8, This is mostly unit studies (communities, measurement, cultures, matter and movement) with a strong written language component, which includes spelling and vocabulary

Grammar: First Language Lessons (first edition I think), Level 2

Geography and Literature:  Build Your Library K, adding age 6-8 Narration cards.

Co-op, not sure what classes will be offered.  Hoping for art, music, physical education type classes.

Community Bible Study and Awana.

Edited by SnowWhite

Huh, I didn't post on this thread earlier.

Okay, so my middle child is finishing first and starting second.

Summer plans involve listening to him practice reading, finishing reading SOTW 1 to him, and finishing Minn of the Mississippi.

Second grade plans:

Writing/Grammar -- Handwriting Without Tears and copywork from WWE; WWE2

Reading -- Reading from whatever he wants to read, plus readalouds

Math -- MEP 2

History -- SOTW 2, plus supplements and maps

Science -- Real Science Odyssey life science; looking at the Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia as he desires

Geography -- world geography with Trail Guide and maps

Fine arts -- world monuments, world music, world food, world art projects to coordinate with geography

French -- only if he wants to; I have the first Nallenart book somewhere.

Bible -- Susan and Richie Hunt books

PE -- martial arts class weekly

The older kids will be studying Lord of The Rings, so I'm thinking next year is a good time to go through The Hobbit with the smaller guys.

Can I just say how much I love these planning posts and getting to see what everyone else is doing!

End of 1st grade - June/Summer:  Finish SOTW Vol 2, Real Science Odyssey Earth/Astronomy.(very close to done!)

Countine working on AAR 1, WWE 1, FLL 1, and RightStart B.

Summer Camps

Beach

Swimming

Having fun!

Fall (September) 2nd grade!

Language Arts: All About Reading 2, All About Spelling 1/2, Writing With Ease 2, First Language Lessons 2

Math: RightStart B/C  (Switched mid year and going to work through the summer a bit to try and get through as much of B as possible.)

History: Story of the World Vol 3, Early Modern

Science: Real Science Odyssey Chemistry

Art: Harmony Fine Arts Grade 3, Late Renaissance to Early Modern Art

Morning Time: 365 Days of Wonder (Daily quote with discussion)

The stuff that keeps us busy: nature study, art class, speech, swim lessons, freerunning, and cub scouts.

Edited by Anliena

• 2 weeks later...

In some ways I feel like Hurray first grade is over! But than I'm like I have a second grader?  Guess that comes with still being new at this.

Our plans for Second Grade are looking like this:

Math- CLE 200

Reading- Readers of his choice, finish Phonics Pathways (Or not?), and lots of  read alouds.

Grammar/ Writing - Copying selections from our read alouds, alternated with CTGE 2 ( not doing respelling)

Spelling- EM Building Spelling  Skills 2

History- SOTW1 with activity book

Science- Earth and space from library books and the Eyewitness Explorer books Fossil Hunter and Night Sky Detective for hands on ideas.

Music & Art- Ideas from Arttango, tempted to try Home Art Studio and for music well try some appreciation and music making.

PE- Fall Soccer, Spring Kids fun mile

Summer is looking like swim lessons, VBS, a family visit and 6 Flags trip (thanks read to succeed).

In some ways I feel like Hurray first grade is over! But than I'm like I have a second grader?  Guess that comes with still being new at this.

Our plans for Second Grade are looking like this:

Math- CLE 200

Reading- Readers of his choice, finish Phonics Pathways (Or not?), and lots of  read alouds.

Grammar/ Writing - Copying selections from our read alouds, alternated with CTGE 2 ( not doing respelling)

Spelling- EM Building Spelling  Skills 2

History- SOTW1 with activity book

Science- Earth and space from library books and the Eyewitness Explorer books Fossil Hunter and Night Sky Detective for hands on ideas.

Music & Art- Ideas from Arttango, tempted to try Home Art Studio and for music well try some appreciation and music making.

PE- Fall Soccer, Spring Kids fun mile

Summer is looking like swim lessons, VBS, a family visit and 6 Flags trip (thanks read to succeed).

Can you tell me how your kid prepares for the fun mile?  I assume this is like a one mile or less run with a 5K.

Can you tell me how your kid prepares for the fun mile?  I assume this is like a one mile or less run with a 5K.

Its just a mile for the kids, it is before the adults 5K that my husband runs. My son just runs the mile. 

We live on a farm so my son has regularly gotten use to walking out and about with me around for a mile or more. When he started to ask to run races like his father, we let him run/walk at his pace with an adult building up to a little over a mile. He practices as interested before his event and can back out at anytime. Last year he practiced running a mile twice before his race, this year he ran four times. The rest of the year he runs around for soccer or on some of our farm road walks, where there are no cars. He has one speed it seems, run and the fun mile is a good outlet for that.

The event he runs is put on by a local running club and they go all out for the kids. They set up the road race timer, make a finish shoot, post the times, do age division medals and finisher medals. There is music, food and an awards.  Its a really fun morning for everyone.

• Like 2