Menu

1st Grade Planning Thread 2016/2017

hands-on-mama

I have twins turning 6 in July. This is my first attempt at creating an entire curriculum. I thought I was going overboard, but I'm a little more confidant now since reading the posts. We will be doing scool 4 days a week with one day free for catch-up and outings. Here's what we got going on next year:

Our Morning Time:

• Daily devotion
  • Scripture memorization
  • Poem memorization from FFL
  • Laying Down the Rails
  • Hero Tales
  • Read aloud chapter book
  • Possibly working in some classical music study of great composers

Lessons Include:

Phonics: Phonics Pathways Daily

Reading: One twin will be reading Bob books and work towards easy readers, the other is more advanced and will be reading easy readers level 3 & 4 type books and work towards easy chapter books. I will also be reading aloud chapter books. Daily

Writing: WWE 1 3x/week

Handwriting: HWT First Grade Daily-One of my twins has Cerebral Palsy and this program has been awesome!

Grammar: FFL 1 3x/week

Math: Math u See Alpha Daily

History: SOTW 2x/week

Science: TWTM Animals, Human body, and Botany. 2x/week Also using Usborne's 365 Science Activities. Lots of trips to zoo, science museums and nature trails

Art: I compiled and list of art videos on YouTube. Some of them are of famous artists, most are just fun! 2x/week

Logic: Can You Find Me? 1x/week

Foreign Language: Duolingo Spanish Daily

Math: Singapore, Balance Math for fun

English: FLL, WWE, AAR

Handwriting: Getty Dubay

Chinese

History: SOTW 3 or, perhaps an American History year. Not sure yet. Will tag along with what DD is learning

Science: Interest led, perhaps Mystery Science. I am going to attempt to weave in BFSU. He will tag along with what DD is learning

Next year I'll go from 1 to 3 kids at home!

The only curricula I'm planning is Jot it Down and Miquon.

We'll do lots of reading, a Nature Rangers home school group and also monthly art class.

Maybe a little French, since they started it in Montessori.

That's it.

My kids decided they would rather learn spanish, and I decided to stick with Singapore because that's what I know.

I love reading everyone’s plans – advanced or not! If you went strictly by age, I would have had two 1st graders this year (2015-2016). Ds7 is "ahead" in most areas, while Ds6 is "behind" due to his special needs. Forcing either of them to do 1st grade level work this year would have been a disaster, which is one of the reasons that homeschooling is such a great fit for our family. For a few different reasons, we decided to consider this Ds6's kindergarten year, so he will start 1st grade in September. 

Edited by Baile