Menu

1st Grade Planning Thread 2016/2017

hands-on-mama

Yes! It's really about that time! So what are your first grade plans.

Here are ours so far.

Language Arts: Reading through HOD's emerging readers

RLTL 1/2

ELTL 1

Math: Miquon

Possibly start Singapore 1A during 2nd semester

Various math games

Handwriting: I'm not sure at all! Probably HWOT but I really have no clue what I want to use.

Bible/History/Science: Wayfarer's Ancients

Edited by hands-on-mama

So far the plan is

Language arts - Dictation Day By Day, copy work, continuing our slow move through GrammarLand, and any readers and read alouds that suit us.

Math- MEP

Science - undecided still. Maybe BFSU? We may just do Catestrophic Science since it's chronological to fit in with SoTW.

History - SoTW

Art - Artistic Pursuits & Meet The Masters

Music - continuing composer studies, hopefully adding an instrument

Logic - various games and continuing chess

Language - SSL and Duolingo Spanish.

We are brand new homeschoolers and starting in June (my husband wanted them to finish the year in public school). We've started a little bit now, just so we aren't starting all at once this summer, but building up slowly.

Math: Miquon is all I have planned for now, but probably will use MEP for extra drill eventually. We started this week, introducing Miquon. :)

Not quite sure when to start each of these...is it weird to start FLL/WWE a few months before starting AAS?

Grammar: FLL

Writing: WWE

Spelling: AAS 

Science and history will be pretty casual/fun for starters...while we learn the ropes. 

History: SOTW 1, library, movies

Science: Biology...we have animal, body, and plant books and some fun stuff planned...projects, little field trips (zoo and Conservatory memberships and family members who garden, heh), etc. 

We are hoping to pair up with my niece (also 1st) once a week to learn some sign language, but mostly just for fun/to see them!

He takes swim regularly, may start piano in the fall.

Edited by lindsey
  • Like 1

Next year I'll go from 1 to 3 kids at home!

The only curricula I'm planning is Jot it Down and Miquon.

We'll do lots of reading, a Nature Rangers home school group and also monthly art class.

Maybe a little French, since they started it in Montessori.

That's it.

I'd like to hear more about your Nature Rangers group.

• Like 3

Language Arts:

Continue with LOE Foundations (we'll just keep going over the summer, starting Level C in 3ish months)

Continue adding in AAR readers

Add in ELTL 1

As time and interest permits, add in literature reading to correspond with history or anything else I think she'll enjoy

Math:

Over the summer, we're going to use LOF and some Kumon workbooks (money, math games) for a fun math just so she doesn't regress.

In the fall, I'm debating between Math Mammoth and Singapore. I feel like I *ought* to use Singapore, and I think my husband wants me to, but I kind of feel like MM would be a better fit.

Science:

Continue with BFSU

Continue adding in books about other topics of interest (mostly animals)

History:

Continue with TOG, moving into year 2 this fall

Bible:

I'm leaning toward Telling God's Story, but still considering Bible Road Trip

Will probably add in the "Buck Denver Asks: What's in the Bible?" DVDs even if we don't use BRT (which recommends them)

Art:

Continue with Artistic Pursuits--we did preschool this year, but we'll continue with K-3 book 1 this summer and then use book 2 as recommended with TOG2

Music:

There are a few options I'm considering here ... maybe Maestro Classics, but I'm not sure that's enough for a full year; maybe Zeezok's Music Appreciation for the Elementary Grades or Confession of a Homeschooler's World's Greatest Composers. I think the latter two options would be better in another year or two, though, so probably Maestro Classics with something else (who knows what) added in. I'm open to suggestions!

Health:

Something workbooky--something open-and-go, easy to get done, covers the basics, that I can point to and say "see, we did health." Maybe A Beka, maybe the Healthy Choices series I saw at CBD. I'm open to suggestions!

PE:

I'd like to find a local class--dance, martial arts, gymnastics, anything that would get her exercising and help with body control and self-confidence. If I can't find anything locally, we'll stick with Family Time Fitness and daily walks.

• Like 1

Still in the beginning stages of planning, but so far this is what I am thinking.

Languare Arts:

FLL

PP or LOE or OPGTR or RLTL.....you see my dilemna?

ETC

Possibly AAS later in the year

Lots of reading

Possibly DWN

History:

SOTW VOL. 1

Math:

RSA/RSB

LOF

Science: unsure at this point. Thinking of RSO, Apologia, or relying mainly on living books to study various topics

Religion:

Jesus Storybook Bible and My First Catholic Bible

Catholic Mosaic

5 Minute Devotions

Latin:

SSL

Art:Draw Write Now

Music: Hoffman Academy Piano lessons and music appreciation

Edited by stine

My DD will be an older 1st grader (b-day in October).  

Latin:  Prima Latina 

Math: MUS Alpha

Language Arts: R&S Spelling 2 and Penmanship 2

Phonics: HOD's Emerging Readers Books alternated with McGuffey's First Reader, Core Skills Phonics 2

Science: SCM's Outdoor Secrets

Extras: MP's 1st Grade Enrichment, Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans, piano lessons

Edited by Holly
  • Like 1

My upcoming first grader has a late birthday as well, and she's a bit ahead. So far:

Sonlight Core B

Sonlight science B

Singapore/Dreambox for math

Sonlight LA 2, ETC

Lollipop logic

RFP Aesop's Fables workbooks

VP online bible - Genesis to Joshua

Something for art

She wants to start violin, but no promises yet!

(We mostly do a loop, and sometimes also block, schedule, so we wouldn't do all this item one day).

I have planned like I WILL get to homeschool next year for 1st grade.  If it turns out I don't, I'm thinking of doing just history/science afterschool/bedtime literature.

WWE /FLL 

AAS 

Zaner Bloser 2C (begin cursive by end of the year)

Use ELTL literature list for read alouds

Singapore, Mammoth Math, or MEP (I can't decide)

Wayfarers Ancient

Mr. Q Life Science

SSL and watch Salsa videos for Spanish

Music I will probably follow Wayfarers schedule with read alouds as available and listening to music.  I may start him with piano lessons.

Art I plan on using Arttango, we will see how that works, art is not a strong suit of mine.

Language Arts: Continue FLL1, begin WWE. Some sort of handwriting workbook. Maybe cursive if she's interested.

Math: CLE Math

Reading: Finish CLE Learning to Read

History: Will tag-along with brothers using Mystery of History IV; additional literature at her level as well as Evan-Moor history pockets.

Science: Evan-Moor Daily Science as a start and adding living books on topics of interest. 

Possibly Latin, possibly Spanish (Song School)

So far the plan is

Language arts - Dictation Day By Day, copy work, continuing our slow move through GrammarLand, and any readers and read alouds that suit us.

Math- MEP

Science - undecided still. Maybe BFSU? We may just do Catestrophic Science since it's chronological to fit in with SoTW.

History - SoTW

Art - Artistic Pursuits & Meet The Masters

Music - continuing composer studies, hopefully adding an instrument

Logic - various games and continuing chess

Language - SSL and Duolingo Spanish.

HomeAgain,

Do you have a website or more info on Catastrophic Science?  I am searching for a science curriculum for next year and nothing seems to be fitting the bill.  Thanks!!

1st grade plans for DS#2, subject to change, lol:

Math: continue in Beast Academy 3 (he won't finish it this year), and/or maybe begin Singapore (3?)

Reading: McGuffey's 3rd Eclectic Reader
Writing:  WWE2

Handwriting:  beginning cursive -- maybe HWOT or maybe mom-made cursive based on the McGuffey style; continuing typing instruction, but switching from Keyboarding Without Tears to Mickey's Typing Adventure
Grammar:  FLL3

History:  SOTW2

Science:  undecided.  We're using BFSU now, but I think we may need to switch to something more open-and-go

Music: hopefully we'll begin piano lessons

Languages: continue Song School Latin 1.  May continue ASL, but DS#1 wants to do Spanish instead, and DS#2 usually decides to want whatever his older brother wants

Not planning anything for P.E. or spelling yet.  I figure it's okay to put off spelling another year or two

my first grader will be doing:

Math- yellow/green in Miquon. Plus processing skills in problem solving.

LA- alternate ELTL1 and LOE Foundations C

History- the second half of SOTW3 w/ siblings, taking a loooong detour for extra American history

Science- is still being ironed out but I think I'm going to split the year between chemistry and physics using...who know what. Whatever's easy, lol.

Art- umm... Ive never been happy with art. Seriously considering outsourcing this on the creative side and sticking w/ art Appreciation with the simply cm packs.

Music- appreciation w/ classical CDs, and begin piano lessons second semester @7.

Plus a rich morning time :)

HomeAgain,

Do you have a website or more info on Catastrophic Science?  I am searching for a science curriculum for next year and nothing seems to be fitting the bill.  Thanks!!

Yes, but it's a very niche product, I think, and not meant to be a stand alone. There are 50 experiments (demonstrations?) that mark milestones in science throughout time.  I figure it would be a good go along with history, and supplemented with Usborne links.  This year we burned through Mystery Science and unless they significantly add extra units for next year, we're going to have to drop it.  It was very good, though!

The Book Of Potentially Catastrophic Science.

• Like 1

I haven't finalized all my plans yet, but this is what I am thinking of using for 1st:

Math: Horizons Math 1

Reading/Spelling: RLTL 1

History: SOTW Ancients

Science: BJU 1

Handwriting: Pentime 1

Writing/Grammar:  ELTL 1

Edited by Guest

My tentative plan for 1st grade:

Math: Singapore 2A & 2B

Reading: Daily silent reading (free choice)

Lang.Arts: Spelling lessons based on Reading Reflex, journal writing, & daily writing block

History & Literature: American history up to Civil War w/real books & lots of read alouds (still working on a book list)

Science: Astronomy & earth science with real books (still working on a list)

French: Skoldo 1

Art: Artistic Pursuits 1

Extra: Gymnastics

Math: continue with singapore. We will probably be finishing 1a

Language arts: FLL 1/WWE 1/TOG lit/ spelling. Workout A

Reading: explode the code and readers

TOG y3 for history, church history, lit, geography

Science: Apologia flying creatures with a co-op

Art and music using CDs and SCM art appreciation

Extras: piano lessons, soccer, Trail Life, Awana

• Like 1

Still in the planning stage...

Bible- possibly BSGFAA

Math- finish MM1 and probably RSB

LA: BW Quiver of Arrows/Jot it Down, AAS 1-2, and AAR 2-3

History: geography using Legends and Leagues and expanding on history topics from literature

Science: undecided

Piano and gymnastics, lots of field trips and art classes

Edited by ByGrace3

I haven't decided if DD2 will be in K or 1st. Her birthday is right on the cutoff and will technically be a K'er. Good thing we're homeschooling and I don't have to really decide! Most of this is just a continuation of what we are already doing as we homeschool year round and just do the next thing when we finish previous books.

Math: Miquon Yellow/Purple, Beast Academy 3, and Mep 2/3.

Reading: OPGTR

Writing: WWE 1/2

Grammar: FLL1

Spelling: AAS2

Geography: Evan-Moor Beginning Geography

History: SOTW

Science: Unschooling

Piano: Hoffman Academy

We also do 2 co-op classes a semester and she's excited to finally be old enough to get to pick them rather than have to go to the preK class based on her age. She's pretty sure she'll do PE and some crafty class. I always though home school PE sounded silly, but the teacher for it is amazing and dd7 is having so much fun that dd5 is jealous.

Edited by Meagan S

I'm keeping an eye on this thread! It has been sooooo long since I thought about 1st grade. Looking for ideas...

My daughter has finished MFW's 1st grade program. How much writing is involved in their 2nd/3rd grade Adventures program? She is a fabulous reader but her writing stamina lags behind. I may need to fill in a year between those two programs so that her writing skills can catch up.

• Like 1

Math: Singapore 1B

Reading: AAR 4

Spelling: Still researching, but How to Teach Spelling is looking interesting. 

Science: RSO Life 

Handwriting: Copywork. My son loves Draw Write Now, will start there

Literature/History: BYL 1

Writing: Not sure yet. Looking at some Evan-Moor books to start with. 

I'm keeping an eye on this thread! It has been sooooo long since I thought about 1st grade. Looking for ideas...

My daughter has finished MFW's 1st grade program. How much writing is involved in their 2nd/3rd grade Adventures program? She is a fabulous reader but her writing stamina lags behind. I may need to fill in a year between those two programs so that her writing skills can catch up.

My youngest is about halfway through MFW 1st, so I'm not sure how much writing is at the end. I can tell you how much is in Adventures though. My oldest is doing it with the youngest tagging along. About once a week, the child is expected to write a short summary about what they have learned (not every week but usually yes). Once a week, they also copy the Bible verse. Then, of course there is writing in math, spelling and some in grammar. There really isn't a ton of writing in Adventures. It's been great for my pencil phobic 8 year old. 

• Like 1

It is very easy to control the amount of writing in Adventures.  I did it with a third grader and a pencil phobic first grader.  I wrote out simple things for him to copy.  It started out as words, then sentences.  She could probably do a short narration.  You could write it out, even simplifying it if needed, and she could copy it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement (Lisa and Hands-on-Mama) about MFW's Adventures. I did adapt some of MFW's 1st to meet my daughter's needs (less writing) when she did it, so I wouldn't be averse to doing the same with Adventures. It sure would be the easiest path for me! :-)

Language Arts: Reading through HOD's emerging readers

Possibly some ETC to review phonics

ELTL 1

Bible/History/Science: MFW ECC (she is doing MFW 1st now as she is an older K'er)

I see that you plan to add ELTL 1 to MFW ECC. Do you think Adventures needs a language arts boost, too? 

Edited by MorningGlory

Thanks for the encouragement (Lisa and Hands-on-Mama) about MFW's Adventures. I did adapt some of MFW's 1st to meet my daughter's needs (less writing) when she did it, so I wouldn't be averse to doing the same with Adventures. It sure would be the easiest path for me! :-)

I see that you plan to add ELTL 1 to MFW ECC. Do you think Adventures needs a language arts boost, too? 

Language arts is not really included in Adventures and beyond.  They have a few suggestions, like the written narrations and I think some lab sheets in Adventures.  They expect you to use other language arts and even give suggestions.

• Like 1

My son just started first grade work this year:

AAS1 and 2 by the middle of the year I think

Memoria Press Phonics grade 1

Sonlight Readers

McGuffey Primer

Right start math level B and some of C

Espanol

Start cursive in the middle of the year

TOG Year 2 read aloud a

Science with my dd

OPGTR

Readers as appropriate

ETC 1-3

Math Mammoth 1

HWT 1

Wordly Wise 1

AAS, FLL, WWE: if/when she is ready

In combination with older sister:

SOTW 2

Laying Down the Rails for Children

SCM Visits to Europe

Studies Weekly social studies

Harmony Fine Arts 2

Quark Chronicles botany

RAs from SL, BYL, SCM, etc

Extras (subject to change): gymnastics, swimming, AHG

We are only halfway through this year, so I don't know how next year will go yet. Best guess:

Math: Saxon

English: Shurley

Reading: VP book list

What else? I think I finally have gotten to the point of not obsessing over what my six year old is going to do. :P It only took four kids. Maybe I'll care more tomorrow.

She'll probably do Song School Latin and continue with AAS. She'll tag along with Tapestry of Grace, but I will need to come up with something different for science, if I bother.

Okay, she started when she turned 5 about a year ago, so she is starting some 1st grade stuff now. Some subjects go along with the older kids and will start in the fall. It is kind of an organizational mess and would have bothered me a lot with my oldest, but it is what it is.

Math: Finish Saxon 1 this week and Start Saxon 2

English: Start Shurley 1 this week

Reading: Continue Phonics Museum 1st Grade (about halfway through) and continue the First Favorites (started last week) continue with Turbo Reader

Latin: Start Song School Latin this week

AAS: Continue level 1

Writing: Writing with Ease starting...sometime. Probably not this week since we are starting three other things. Maybe when she finishes Phonics Museum, maybe next fall.

Bible: Vos Story Bible. We started a stopped this a couple of times. I want to restart this with more umph. I loved reading this with my older three. I'm just so much busier this time around.  :001_huh:

Next fall:

Tapestry of Grace with the kids. We occasionally do something now, but I certainly don't make it a priority with her.

Science: Something. I'll find something in the next 6 months.

Pie in the Sky Wishful thinking:

Art: various books and video series that I wish we did regularly

FIAR: Time. Where is all my time?

Activities:

Dance, TKD, AWANAS, Choir, possibly adding piano in the fall

Reading: writing road to reading

Handwriting: same

Math: Miquon orange

History: story of the world 1, story of mankind, Aesop, Greeks and Romans, old testament, saint stories, Jewish history and beginning of the church. Also sotw 3 for us history and library books on topic. Timetables of history. Dip into geography and countries as unit studies or day trips. Geography songs, puzzles, and map work. Emphasis on Socratic dialogue and conversion, not so much writing or projects. Occasional fun kit.

Science: investigating- bfsu, nature study, and indoor experiments for winter months. Learning to draw what you see and describe accurately what you see and hear. Making hypothesis about why and testing or researching. Emphasis on animals, birds, plants and fungi.

Literature: continue children's classics, my book house, chapter books, Grimms, and audio books from rec'd booklists. Emphasis on Socratic dialogue after chapters and discussion of books.

Memorization: scripture kjv, classic poems (need to make a list or decide), and maybe classical conversations or classically Catholic memory history

Religion: q and a Baltimore catechism, morning prayer using fellowship of St James bible study, celebrating feast days, daily Mass occasionally, and the rosary, and making seasonal wreaths and decorations for religious holidays

Art: included in science and religion, making books from paper, collage, watercolor, and hand sewing. Also following along with 2 year old in playdough, finger paint, potato stamps, sand, bead, and water play.

Extracurricular: hybrid academy 2x week, catholic co-op (1 hr), clay classes, american heritage girls, horsemanship.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

Queen's Language Lessons for the Very Young

Finish up Singapore 2A, move into 2B

Cooking

Sewing (on machine)

R&S Our Father's World Geography with lots of living books

Frog & Toad books and other books from CM reading list

Science-nature study just continuing from summer, science living books, a basic introduction to geology: rocks and minerals (our elementary science is mostly interest led in terms of subject)

Math: finish up with MM 1 and just keep doing the next thing.

Reading: Elson Reader 4

Language arts: ELTL 1

Science: not sure. Leaning toward Science in the Beginning.

Spelling: Webster's Spelling Book (downloaded from Don Potter).

Spanish: Speaking Spanish with Miss Mason and Francois.

History: SOTW 1.

Music: Piano Lessons

Art: Drawing With Children and picture study

• 1 month later...

Math: Saxon 3 (fill skills gaps with MM Blue over summer to skip Saxon 2), Singapore 2a and 2b (maybe more depending on how fast DD wants to go), dabble in Miquon and Mathseeds

Reading: Saxon Phonics 1 (ensuring we have closed all skill gaps), Explode the Code (5-8, finishing 3 now and doing 4 over the summer), Raz-Kids, finish Reading Eggs, Reading Eggspress, lots of read alouds and independent reading

Social Studies: Galloping the Globe and SOTW 1 with activities (both of these will be done with kinder sister), plenty of election and Olympics TV watching, Carmen Sandiego videos and other history videos I have

Science: Mudpies to Magnents 1 and 2, Sid the Science Kid, Magic School Bus, Bill Nye, maybe some kits

Language Arts: FLL 1, WWE1, journal writing

Extracurriculars: AHG, swimming, dance or gymnastics, maybe Hoffman piano, lots of being a kid

So excited for 1st grade! Here's what I have so far:

Classical Conversations Cycle 2

AAR level 2

AAS level 1

First Lang Lessons

Math- Singapore 1A&1B, then we will most likely give Christian Light a test run since she really enjoys math.

SOTW audio cds for quiet time

Handwriting/Copywork is undecided. I have not loved A Reason For Handwriting, so I'm on the hunt for something new. I didn't like how few hints and reminders there were for correct letter formation in K. My daughter learned the "wrong" way in preschool, and we have struggled correcting bad handwriting habits.

I'm still in the planning stages - there are so many awesome things out there!  However, I already have an older set of Sonlight Core 1 on hand, so I'll use that (heavily modified - I don't follow plans well), plus several books from Build Your Library. 

Math - CLE

LA - either CLE or WWE/FLL

Handwriting - we'll spend some time correcting the incorrect letter strokes his teacher let slide in K, then move on to cursive (his request)

Science - looking into Elemental Science Biology, but might just do a hodgepodge of the MANY science books already on hand

History -  deciding whether to stick with Sonlight or start SOTW

Geography - mostly looking up places we read about

Religion - illustrated children's scripture stories

Art - Usborne

Music - piano lessons, possibly Story of the Orchestra

My DD will be an older 1st grader (b-day in October).  

I think we'll be starting ELTL 1, but we may go at a slower pace.  She'll also continue with McGuffey readers and possibly the 2nd Starfall Writing Journal (for phonics practice).

MUS Alpha, possibly some of Beta

SCM's Early Modern book with readings for grades 1-3

SCM's Visits to North America

Christian Kids Explore Physics--she's under the recommended age, but we'll be doing this as a family.  We'll also be using Physics Workshop as a family.

Bible stories, memory work, and hymns

Extras: piano & swimming lessons, AO Folksongs, Singing Lessons for Kids, Harmony Fine Arts grade 7 (corresponds to our history lessons), Painting Lab for Kids, Laying Down the Rails for Children

My older DC will be using Visual Latin, so she may listen in on this, but I doubt she gets too much out of it.

Updates:

• MUS Alpha
  • ELTL 1
  • R&S Spelling 2
  • R&S Penmanship 2
  • Core Skills Phonics 2 & 3
  • McGuffey reader, HOD's Emerging reader set, and various other readers
  • Literature Pockets: Nursery Rhymes & Caldecott Winners
  • Outdoor Secrets with SCM companion guide (lots of nature-study related science)
  • Building Thinking Skills: Primary
  • Listing in on the rest of our curriculum or playing with her little brother.  

My dd will be 6 in late July, so I'm calling her k/1st.

Singapore 1 (slowly)

Finishing 100EZ Lessons (I only go about half way through) and MFW

HWOT

MFW ECC for geography/science (tag along with older sibling)

Some FIAR fun stuff

Begin piano lessons

Ballet, art, etc through local homeschool enrichment program

She'll also participate in our family artist, composer, poet, Shakespeare studies