Menu

3rd Grade Planning Thread 2016-2017

hands-on-mama

Score! Part one of Saxon 3 worksheets and an older (more familiar to me and less commercial) copy of the next Hey Andrew book! I'm all done shopping except for Spellwell.

ETA: I already have Writing Strands and several other oldie moldie goldies that I recognize as inspirations for Julie Bravewriter's blog posts.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Has anyone planned read-alouds and/or required reading for third yet? I'd love to see some book lists!

Our read alouds are going to come from ELTL. If I require any assigned reading, I will probably pull from the HOD lists. Right now I'm fine with her picking her own books.

• Like 1

Has anyone planned read-alouds and/or required reading for third yet? I'd love to see some book lists!

Until my son done with AAR I am not going to require reading. He does read on his own, and often to his brother, but I don't want to push him too much. DH's idea of heaven is a cabin in the woods with no internet and a library. That is pretty much my idea of boredom. I want my sons to be like their daddy so I will let them tell me when I should push them into this a bit. 

In the meanwhile we have read aloud time of the classics when I, or an audiobook, read to him. 

• Like 2

My new plan:

Heart of Dakota's Bigger Hands for His Glory with Rod & Staff English 3 and continuing Math Mammoth Saxon 54.

In addition:
Getting Started With Latin, Latin Memory Songs
art with her aunt
a musical instrument

Edited by SGPS

We kind of wing it and rabbit trail with read alouds. ds8 likes the George's Secret Key to the Universe books right now, which are very sciencey. Before that he went on a bit of a history/historical fiction binge: the Once and Future King to the Upstairs Room to Famous Men of Greece.

We also read one Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artist book and one Famous Children book every month as part of artist and composer study.

I'm kind of hesitant to admit that we spend more time reading aloud in the elementary grades than we do with direct instruction, workbooks, and textbooks combined. I don't particularly enjoy TV or video games, so reading aloud is our family time.

This kid doesn't like trash, but older siblings have at various times in their lives, and I would institute a policy where we alternated choosing read alouds, i.e., I will read you this Babysitter's Club book, but when it's done, you will listen to me read Little Women POLITELY, and without complaint!

We did audiobooks in the car back in the day, but I'm more of a homebody with the little tyke so that isn't happening much right now.

His reading to me right now is usually I pick the book and he decides how long he wants to read. He has some input, but I have veto power. Most of his funnies are on the computer, but he'll pick a picture book off the shelf to read and he reads bionicle instructions and environmental print at near-adult level, i.e., "Mom, what does spontaneous combustion mean?" but he hasn't made the leap to what I would call independent reading yet, which I roughly define as when you get frustrated with your kid for not putting a book down to come to dinner, do their chores, or do schoolwork and when you have to put a money limit on them at the book store.

HTH; sorry I don't have a specific bucket list for this grade.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I'm pulling most of our list to match up with TOG Year 3.  They assign many abridged versions to upper grammar literature and I would rather read the unabridged as family read alouds.  I've also just picked some that I've wanted to get to as a family as well.  Tentatively, that looks like these titles so far:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Through the Looking Glass

A Christmas Carol

Little House on the Prairie

Pinnochio

The Secret Garden

Swiss Family Robinson

Heidi

Once on This Island

Moccasin Trail

By the Great Horn Spoon

Across Five Aprils

Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule

Caddie Woodlawn

Pippi Longstocking

Kids on Strike

In the Days of Queen Victoria

Trial and Triumph

Hallelujah Lass

Lottie Moon: Giving Her All for China

As far as an assigned reading list, we will be doing most of TOG Year 3 upper grammar history assignments as is and some of their literature.  This will be a transition time with me reading some aloud and pushing him to take more ownership and reading on his own with narrations.  I'm curious to see how it will go!  Everything else will be student's choice provided it's not too twaddle-like. 

Edited by dsbrack
  • Like 2

Required reading will go along with Brave Writer Arrow units. I'm planning: 

Because of Winn-Dixie

Tale of Despereaux

Farmer Boy

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

How to Train Your Dragon 

Ginger Pye 

They'll also do a couple more Arrows from things that we will read aloud, so in those months, I'll have them choose from a few books for their independent reading. I don't have those choices planned--it'll be winging it at the library, I suspect. 

My Read Aloud list is very negotiable. I'll add and remove as I please thoughout the year. It's more of an idea list than anything else: 

Story of the World 2

Drop of Water, Book of Science and Wonder

Pagoo

Wind in the Willows 

Robin Hood 

Castle Diary 

Door in the Wall

various Shakespeare stories 

various longish picture book biographies of people from the time period of SOTW 2

The above are the "during school" books. We also have an audiobook going in the car at all times, and read a novel at bedtime. Those are generally just for fun, middle grade novels that we're interested in reading, not connected to history or anything else at all. We choose those on the fly, usually. Recently we've been on a Narnia, Dahl, and Wizard of Oz kick. ;) 

• Like 2

I spent the weekend doing the major overview planning for 3rd grade. Here's what I've got: 

Morning Time: 

Long Story Short 

Memory work: scripture, poetry, Latin vocab, math facts, etc

MCT LA

logic puzzles

variety of read alouds 

rotation of things like art, picture study, composer study, poetry teatimes, etc 

LA: Brave Writer Arrows and a project or two from Partnership Writing 

Math: Beast Academy 

Latin: finish SSL 2, start ?? (probably Latin for Children A)

History: SOTW 2 and read alouds, occasional (very occasional!) projects 

Science: BFSU and read alouds 

PE: ballet (her), tae kwon do (him)

hoping to start piano lessons 

• Like 1

Can't believe my youngest will be in third next year.

Math: Continuing from wherever we stop in Beast Academy

History: She is not a SOTW fan, so we are reading lots and lots of books for this. Maybe I'll add some narrations.

Spelling: Continuing with Apples and Pears

Writing: Ugh. I don't know. Right now I'm writing down her oral narrations and she's copying them for her writing and handwriting practice. I'm also considering IEW. I have Student Writing Intensive A, but I don't think she's really there yet. Maybe All Things Fun and Fascinating.

Grammar: Currently ELTL 2. Maybe 3 next year or I might do MCT island (even though I already sold it because I didn't think she would like it, but now I think she would...don't tell my husband)

Handwriting: Copywork

Science: Bookshark Science 3

She'll also continue with piano. She will have to pick a new PE activity because apparently she doesn't want to dance anymore. She doesn't like gymnastics or soccer either. She is now saying karate. Who knows with this kid.

Wow, I wrote this in February and it mostly hasn't changed. That has to be a first.

So small changes.. Bookshark history 2.

Edited by ZaraBellesMom

Middle dd will be going into third grade this fall. She is a 'get it done' kinda girl, very focused and detests busy work. She also trains at the gym for 9 hours and next year will be increasing to 12 hours per week. Starting in January, we have gym meets almost every weekend until April, so I try to make sure she is getting play time during the week.

*Math-CLE 3 and Miquon (the last book, I can't remember the color)

*History-SOTW

*Science-home school nature class at the nature preserve and reading through Mr. Q. We are doing chemistry this year, and have done life science, so perhaps physics? Not sure yet. Also, we do a ton of interest led science-this year she loved mixing potions to go along with our Harry Potter reading. We have a Magiscope, and plenty of science kits. Our property had woods and two creeks, which makes it easy to find material to study and learn about.

*Language arts-

Grammar-Fix it grammar

Writing-IEW fairy tales

Spelling-Sound and structure

Cursive-copy work

Reading/literature-she reads daily, both to me and to herself. I'll increase this time to an hour. We also read aloud everyday, during school, at bedtime, and in the form of audiobooks in the car.

*Logic-not sure. We have some of those workbooks (Logic Safai and one other one) but I think I'd rather focus on gaming for logic. She loves Catan, Labyrinth, and various card games.

She does a homeschool coop, and will have her pick of extracurricular classes there. This year she did science, art, martial arts, cooking, and cross fit. I would love for her to continue art, but other than that I don't care which classes she chooses. And of course, gymnastics is a huge part of her life.

I spent the weekend doing the major overview planning for 3rd grade. Here's what I've got: 

Morning Time: 

Long Story Short 

Memory work: scripture, poetry, Latin vocab, math facts, etc

MCT LA

logic puzzles

variety of read alouds 

rotation of things like art, picture study, composer study, poetry teatimes, etc 

LA: Brave Writer Arrows and a project or two from Partnership Writing 

Math: Beast Academy 

Latin: finish SSL 2, start ?? (probably Latin for Children A)

History: SOTW 2 and read alouds, occasional (very occasional!) projects 

Science: BFSU and read alouds 

PE: ballet (her), tae kwon do (him)

hoping to start piano le

May I know which MCT LA are you planning to do for 3rd Grade?Is that MCT Level one comprises of Grammer Island, Building Language, Sentence Island, Practice Island and Music of the Spheres with Aesop Fables books? Thanks.

Life of Fred will be our math "spine", and we will be using Right Start activities and games, computer games, and board games and activities for extra practice.

For Language arts, all I am certain about is sticking with AAS (Level 3), and letting him continue to read to his little heart's content. We will be trying WWE when it arrives next week, and will be trying to play catch up with grammar and composition over the summer. That has been a hard area for him.

For History, Geography, Literature, and Bible we will be doing Sonlight Core C, hopefully weaving this content in with what we come up with for WWE.

Science will be Sonlight Science C, and a couple co-op classes as this is his big area of interest.

He's dying for me to teach him cursive, so will probably use HWOT for that. And I want to start Spanish and ASL lightly with all the kids together.

Hoping to encourage him into a co-op music class, but not holding my breath.

And of course, he will keep me running all around town for sports. Oh my goodness. Three boys in this house!

I feel very good about our plans except for LA. We are feeling that out. Not sure how to help him with writing. He just seems stumped.

• Like 1

Here are my plans for next year. I am not doing a separate writing or grammar curriculum, because I feel grammar gets covered in Latin and writing through other subject dictation, narrations, and copy work. Is that right thinking? My son will be 8 and has done well with these curricula in the past (except Latin is new and I don't mind going slowly with it). I plan to do cursive over the summer... HWOT?

Daily
Math - MUS Delta
Spelling - AAS 4
Latin - Latina Christiana 1
Read Alouds (with weekly dictation)

2x/Week
Science - Space & Astronomy/Earth Science (probably lapbooking one topic each semester)
Science/Reading/Writing - CLP Nature Reader 3
History/Writing - SOTW 3 OR American Pioneers and Patriots
Extra - Dance Mat Typing

also beekeeping and keeping a basic journal of observations.

Edited by ~Victoria~

[uPDATED 7/3/16]

I'm doing a different schedule this year and plan on doing the 6 on/1 off starting July 9 so we will have six 6-week terms.  

I will have two in 3rd grade for 2016-2017  :eek:  This thread has been invaluable in helping me evaluate curriculum for next year.  We will be in a Classically Catholic Memory (CCM) Co-Op 1x per week and will use it as my spine in most subjects.  Right now, my plans are:

Math: Math Mammoth 3 & Khan Academy (1x per week)

History/Geography:  CCM; Story of the Bible by TAN Homeschool; Supplementing occasionally with SOTW 1 materials and historical literature and some U.S. History (since 7th grader will be studying U.S. History)

Spelling: AAS Levels 1 & 2 (plowing through to do Levels 3 & 4 in 4th grade)

Writing: Finishing WWE 2 over the summer and using IEW in the fall/spring at our Co-Op; 

Grammar: IEW Fix It! (maybe supplementing with Easy Grammar and/or Daily Grams)  Daily Grams

Vocabulary:  Wordly Wise 3

Religion:  Faith and Life 3; CCM

Handwriting: Copywork from CCM subjects and The Harp and the Laurel Wreath

Science: CCM  Life Science (supplementing with library books and videos)

Literature:  

We will be reading from the following:

The Harp and the Laurel Wreath

Classic Myths to Read Aloud: The Great Stories of Greek and Roman Mythology

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

The Riddle of the Rosetta Stone

The Golden Goblet

The Children of Noisy Village

The Family Under the Bridge

Of Swords and Sorcerers

The Hundred Dresses

Sarah, Plain and Tall

The Courage of Sarah Noble

Stone Fox

D'Aulaire biographies (Leif the Lucky, Abraham Lincoln, Benjamin Franklin, Buffalo Bill, George Washington, Pocahontas, and Columbus)

Dragon Wings

Five Children and It

Pippi Longstocking

Homer Price

The Little Prince

A Little Princess

Pollyanna Grows Up 

Bartholomew's Passage  (Our Advent read aloud; we read Jotham's Journey last Advent and couldn't get enough)

Gymnastics 1x per week.

Possibly starting violin lessons ( DD#1) and guitar lessons (DD#2).

Edited by stacyh270
  • Like 2

updated:

Math: Strayer-Upton

Grammar: Shurley and rabbit trails during read-alouds

Artist and composer study

Piano and/or recorder and/or guitar

History: Read books, go to museums and antique stores, and talk about stuff.

Science: Read books and play with toys

GSWL and Hey Andrew

Cursive because it's third grade and third grade is cursive because it's third grade.

Tux Typing

Reading: books; selected comics, websites, magazines, and newspapers.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For now, this is what I'm thinking:

Math: Math Mammoth 3

Reading: AAR 3, plus additional readers of her choice (or maybe Sonlight Grade 3 readers)

Writing: Finish IEW Bible Heroes then move on to SWI-A

Grammar: Fix It Grammar

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 3000 Grade 3

Spelling: AAS 1, 2, 3. (I'm hoping to do level 1 during the summer, then levels 2&3 during our school year)

Handwriting: Printing and Cursive Workbooks

History: SOTW 1 (with activity book)

Geography: The Complete Book of Maps and Geography (not sure if we'll need this or if SOTW is enough)

Science: Mystery Science

If we have time: Some sort of introductory Spanish (not sure what), art projects from Deep Space Sparkle, and Logic Countdown (or Building Thinking Skills)

We also participate in a weekly co-op.

Edited by Vintage81

3 grade:

Math in focus 2B, 3A (student book, workbook, EP book, enrichment book)

LA 3

WWE 3

Spelling workout D, E.

Explode the code 7 & 8.

Wordly wise 3

STOW Late Renaissance- Early Modern with activity book.

Elementary science Chemistry for the grammar stage.

Reading: McGuffey's. She is done with AAR4, today, so idk. Books from library about sci, history, for fun....

Telling God's story 2

Again piano and art

Practice more Spanish may get Yabisi from santillana

New American cursive 3

Code.org course 2 once a week

Typing app once a week

Self government journals and sodas every 2 weeks

Walking n jogging for PE :)

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Math- MUS gamma

Reading- AAR 4

Spelling- RLTL 2, Cursive copy work

Science- RSO chemistry

History- undecided. Maybe Beautiful Feet CA history, maybe Wayfarers Medieval

Considering ELTL 1 too. If we really do finish AAR 3 this year, then I could alternate ELTL and AAR.

Wow, I posted this in January and nothing has really changed. That's a first. I have decided to go with SOTW 2 and Wayfarers book lists. Still haven't decided whether to actually buy the Wayfarers guide or not. I probably don't need the schedule.

DD will only get halfway through AAR 3 this year, so next year we will still be finishing up that and doing level 4. Because of this, I've decided not to do ELTL. It can wait till the following year, once we are done with phonics. (And I will do a happy dance that day! :D )

We are going to switch fm KWOT to dance mat typing next year. Forgot to list before, but she will also be dong: violin, swimming, and probably gymnastics.

Everything else is a continuance of what we switched to mid year this year, and now, after five months, these things are gong really well. School is no longer a drudgery. So, we will be sticking with them next year. Hooray!

Edited by vaquitita

Our new plan:

Math: Singapore PM 3A & 3B

LA: AAS 3, ELTL 2, maybe W&R Fable in the second half of the year

History: A Child's History of the World, first half, with supplemental literature (TBD)

Science: Harcourt Grade 4, half of the book, with supplemental labs (TBD)

Religion: Baltimore Catechism No 1, part 1, A Life of Our Lord for Children, Saints for Young Readers for Everyday

• Like 1

Our read-alouds will mostly be with ELTL and to go along with the first half of world history.  I just borrow books from the library for dd to read.  I look at online book lists and then just pick them, one at a time.

What I plan always looks like a lot but the different curricula are rotated to keep DD's interest and fill in "gaps." DD will be  an 8 yo 3rd grader next year.

Language Arts:

Spelling: AAS Levels 2 & 3 and All About Homophones

Vocabulary: Zaner Bloser Word Wisdom Level 3

Phonics: Explode the Code Levels 7 & 8, All About Reading Level 4 and Right Into Reading Book 3

Literature/Reading: Free Core Knowledge Skills Grade 3 (http://www.coreknowledge.org/ckla-files#!/grade-3/skills),  K12 Literature Grade 3 and selected chapter books

Grammar: Sentence Family, Daily Grams Grade 3 and Tracking Down Good Grammar with Scout the Dog (Winterpromise)

Composition: IEW finish up Bible Heroes and start All Things Fun and Fascinating, homemade writing workshop exercises

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser Cursive Grade 3

Mathematics:

Singapore Math Primary Standards 3A & 3B

MEP Level 3

TERC Investigations Grade 3

Life of Fred (just for fun)

Science:

Nancy Larson Science selected units from levels 2 & 3  (earth and space science)

Pertinent Billy Nye DVD's and Magic School Bus episodes

History:

Homemade American history from the American Revolution to 1900. Resources include Truthquest American History for Young Students I & II 

and BF Early American History among others

Picture Books, Readers, DVD's and Netflix

Geography:

Understanding Geography Map Skills & Our World Grade 3

Legends and Leagues South

Picture Books, Readers, DVD's and Netflix

Bible/Character:

Not sure yet but I am looking at Route 66: A Trip Through the 66 Books of the Bible

and Awesome Bible Verses Every Kid Should Know and What They Mean

PE:

Ballet year round, ice skating (approx.) 4 months, horseback riding 3 months, swimming 4 months

Music:

Piano lessons and local children's choir

Local Co-op:

Drama and Art

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher

May I know which MCT LA are you planning to do for 3rd Grade?Is that MCT Level one comprises of Grammer Island, Building Language, Sentence Island, Practice Island and Music of the Spheres with Aesop Fables books? Thanks.

Yes, planning for Island level. 

Here are my plans for next year. I am not doing a separate writing or grammar curriculum, because I feel grammar gets covered in Latin and writing through other subject dictation, narrations, and copy work. Is that right thinking? My son will be 8 and has done well with these curricula in the past (except Latin is new and I don't mind going slowly with it). I plan to do cursive over the summer... HWOT?

Planning for cursive over the summer for my one who is not writing cursive already (the other self-taught at the beginning of 2nd grade, LOL). I bought the Logic of English Rhythm of Handwriting PDF and will print off pages for him to use as we go along. I love it. Pretty font, not a ton on the page, focus on strokes and connections, seems the best marriage of the different curricula I'd looked at so far, which is pretty much all of them. LOL 

It always looks likes so much more written out ... it doesn't feel like that much though...

LANGUAGE

• Abeka Language A; EM Daily Editing (5th)
  • Abeka 5th grade Reading; EM Daily Reading Comprehension (5th)
  • Spelling: ABC's & All Their Tricks + Natural Speller + AAS: Rules/Exceptions + Weekly Word Lists {include weekly activities}; Scripps Bee spelling words
  • English From the Roots Up
  • Literature Reading List
  • Cursive: Copywork (poems; Presidents; important historical facts; bible verses, etc...)
    WRITING
  • Focus: Exposure to quality language through read alouds, audio books and reading/memorizing poetry; Writing skills (word choice, grammar, mechanics, proofreading, etc...); Writing process (prewriting, creating a draft, editing, publishing); Writing progression (sentences, paragraphs, essays); Write poems, letters, scary stories, fairy tales, finish the story, reports ...
  • Journal: Daily entries (I have many various writing prompt books that I refer to for ideas). This year I have done a lot of the actual writing in her journal as she tells me what to write (as needed we review using correct grammar, spelling, more colorful words, etc...). 

MATH

• Abeka 4th (using now, move to 5th)
  • MM (currently in 4A)
  • Fun Math: AoPS Beast Academy; Singapore Challenging Word Problems; Zaccaro

CRITICAL THINKING

• CTC Building Thinking Skills; Mind Benders; Perplexors
  • We have a huge assortment of logic games + continue learning how to play chess

HISTORY

• America The Beautiful w/older siblilngs (+ projects and books geared more specifically to her age)

CIVICS (already started and will work throughout the summer/fall. All 4 of mine are working through this together so she obviously needed to be included)

• Uncle Sam & You

GEOGRAPHY

• (Homemade using tons of various resources/books) Areas of concentration: location, place, human-environment interaction, movement, and regions

SCIENCE

• Apologia Elementary {she's working through all of them so whatever she picks next}
  • History of Science Told Through the Lives of it's Greatest Inventors

EXTRA

• BIBLE - Discover For Yourself Series
  • FOREIGN LANGUAGE - Getting Started with Latin
  • MUSIC - Getting to Know the Worlds Greatest Composers; Listen to classical music; Piano Lessons
  • ART - Atelier; Getting To Know The Worlds Greatest Artists
  • POETRY - EM Read & Understand; IEW Poetry Memorization; Poetry for Young People
  • PE: Tumbling Team; Dance; Soccer; She runs and does some CrossFit with me too :)  Which I love! 

updated yet again:

Readin': Free Treadwell third reader

'Ritin': inspired by Ruth Beechick

'Rithmetic: Strayer-Upton

Artist and composer study

Piano and/or recorder and/or guitar

History: Random rabbit trails (read books, watch documentaries, go to museums and antique stores, and talk about stuff)

Science: Read books and play with toys

GSWL and Hey Andrew

Cursive because it's third grade and third grade is cursive because it's third grade so its cursive since it's third grade because it's always been cursive in third grade.

Tux Typing

My NEW new 3rd grade plans are:

Math: Math Mammoth 3
Grammar: Rod & Staff 3
Writing: Writing With Ease
Spelling: Spelling Workout
History/Geography: Story of the World
Science: anatomy
Latin: probably

Music: hopefully
Art: with her aunt

Bible & Literature: with the family

I have disbanded my planning committee. They have gone back to flying by the seat of their pants.

Edited by SGPS
  • Like 3

My DS will be 8/9 this coming year, that's 3rd grade, right?  :confused1: 
DD6 and DS8 do a LOT of their work together. We'll be doing most of BYL2 next year together.

HISTORY: SOTW Vol. 2/Usborne World History spine

MATH: Singapore 4A/4B

LANGUAGE ARTS: Queen's Language Lessons (he's working on Vol 1 currently), BYL copywork/dictation/poetry memorization

SPELLING: AAS 2/3

SCIENCE: BYL2

ART: BYL2

MUSIC: Homeschool Choir

READING:

-Trapped in Ice! A True Whaling Adventure

-The One and Only Ivan
-Shipwrecked!: The True Adventures of a Japanese Boy

-Hippos in the Night: Autobiographical Adventures in Africa

-Reading Between the Bones: The Pioneers of Dinosaur Paleontology

-Some Great Illustrated Classics - Moby Dick, Kidnapped, Treasure Island, etc)

Edited by againstthegrain

I am changing things a bit for next year. 

Math: Finishing Starting Shiller 3 going on to Shiller F (fractions - if time)

Reading: AAR 4

Spelling: AAS 3

Grammar: Finishing GUM 2 (assuming we like it, another order for today), GUM 3  Didn't work out well for us. DS flew through the worksheets and would fail the tests. I copy the worksheets for him, so I tried again and he did the same. :( Going to try Well Ordered Language by CAP

Vocabulary: Word Wisdom 3 (finishing, again assuming we like it - another order for today), Word Wisdom 4 (This is working well for us but I am modifying it a bit as DS seems to know many words already that are in it. Just gave him the POST test for Unit 3, before he did anything with that unit, and he got a "C" on it!)

Handwriting: ZB 2C (finishing), ZB 3C using Pelikan Twist fountain pen (if your child has grip issues, this is great!)

Science: Finishing Elemental Science Biology for Grammar, going to Elemental Science Chemistry for Grammar

History: Finishing History Odyssey Early Modern, going on to History Odyssey Modern

Latin: Finishing Song School Latin 1 (assuming we like it, another purchase for today We love this program.), SSL 2

Art: Finish Start Artistic Pursuits 2 (may get into 3 by mid year... hopefully)

Adding Writing: Writing and Rhetoric

Considering Music: Piano

Outside the home:

German language classes - He will be considered 2nd grade. He has a late September birthday and in the state that german classes are in, he is considered in 2nd grade. He will have a book and homework next year. This year it has been minimal homework.

Swim classes

Baseball in the spring (provided it goes well this spring, and doesn't interfere too much with German, which is on Saturdays)

I thought I would also say that while this looks like a lot, it isn't that much. Daddy does History and Science with him (daddy's choice), I do the rest and not every subject everyday. 

This summer I need to give him a break. It will be a break to him but not really. I will be doing Mother Goose Time with his younger brother and the themes for July and August are "The Art Studio" and "Science Lab" respectively. So I am going to do is let him do that with his brother. It is geared to the preschool - K crowd but they actually do a good job explaining things to the point that I think my older child might get something out of it.

He will also continue with Prodigy math (found that last week and he likes it), SSL and then we will be doing things to keep his German fresh. 

Edited by 3 ladybugs

7-yr-old Third Grader

In the summer my girls will have birthdays and this will leave me with two students for the first full time year. An advanced 7-yr-old third grader and an attention-span of a butterfly spirited princess 5-yr-old Kindergartener. (And a soon to be two-year-old toddler brother in the background.)

Not much* joined this year. But plans to combine when DD2 hits 2nd in the future when DD1 will be in 5th. Repeat or continue rather joining when DS hits 2nd and DD2 will be in 5th.

Bible: VPSA OT2: Judges to Kings. Grapevine Studies when requested. Finish HSITW OT Pak. Continue Dover coloring.

Apologetics*: continue Who is God?

Math: Saxon 5/4 with DIVE. IXL. ESA.*

Grammar, Writing and Vocabulary: Shurley 3. LOE Essentials 2nd edition*. IEW, finish Bible Heroes and start All Things Fun and Fascinating. Maybe Fairy Tales and Fables or Ancient Times if we need more. Imitation in Writing Greek Myths. IXL. ESA.*

Spelling: complete Phonetic Zoo A. LOE ESS*. ESA.

Penmanship: Continue Classically Cursive, maybe continue New American Cursive. ELTL workbooks, and transition all work to cursive.

History: VPSA New Testament, Greece and Rome. Continue Wayfarers Ancients. Read aloud* from resources including MOH 1, SOTW 1, CHOTW, and From Adam to Us. Includes Greek Mythology. HSITW NT Pak. (Interested in recommendations for similar for Greece/Rome. Maybe Great Wonders/World Empires?) Coloring?

Geography: Legends and Leagues EAST. Wayfarers Ancients Geography fiction reading list and schedule for Asia, etc. ESA. Coloring?

Latin: Finish Song School Latin. Complete Latin for Children A, self-paced. Headventureland.

Science: Finish Science Shepherd Introductory Science, and also, reading at will from the Apologia Exploring Creation series and Science in the Beginning as related to history.

Poetry: IEW Poetry Memorization. Reading at will from our collection of treasuries.

Literature & Reading: Lists from: VPSA 3rd. MP 3rd including Modern/American biographies. Finish/continue ELTL 0, 1, & 2, maybe start 3. Use Wayfarers Ancients reading lists and read alouds. Rereading and her reading aloud to siblings books from ELTL 0, SL P3/4, SL P4/5, MP Enrichment K-2 on demand and her Marvel/DC Comics. As well as whatever pops up. Listening to Audible.*

Art: Continue VPSA History of Art as it aligns with history. Access to Artistic Pursuits books. Art literature primers. Maybe COAH Worlds Greatest Artists.

Extra:

Private violin lessons*

Frontier Girls Clubs*

Netflix/Hulu documentaries*

Runners and Track Club*

Honestly, I wish she would take two years to complete third grade for age. But I wanted that in kindergarten and first too and she just continues to surprise and keep on. Finally, we are a little behind with our second grade materials but only by a few weeks, not even a month.

Math -

Life of Fred (Goldfish plus ?)

Strayer-Upton (Book 1)

Number Stories of Long Ago (Smith)

Paper Sloyd (Rich)

First Lessons in Geometry (Hill)

Bible/Theology -

Westminster Catechism

How the Bible Came to Us (Doney)

Christiana's Journey (Taylor)

Mighty Acts of God (Meade)

English -

McGuffey's 2nd Reader

Sentence Family (Hughes)

spelling, begin dictation, oral narrations, copy book entries

Canadian History -

Famous Canadian Stories (Tait)

a list of Canadian picture books

European History -

Our Island Story - 1st half (Marshall) OR The Story of the English - 1st half (Guerber)

Geography -

Elementary Geography (Book One - Mason)

Marco Polo (Komroff)

Cartier Sails the Saint Lawrence (Everill)

world geography copy book

Natural History/Science/Nature Study -

Geographical Nature Studies (Payne)

Pagoo (Holling)

Constellations (Rey)

Among the _____ People (Pierson)

Why Don't Haircuts Hurt (Berger)

One Day in the .... series (George)

Whitetail (McClung)

list of independent picture books

Literature -

Book House - Volumes 3/4

Helen Keller (Davidson)

Around the World in 80 Tales (Pirotta)

Biographies -

Joan of Arc (Stanley)

From the Good Mountain (Rumford)

Bard of Avon (Stanley)

Good Queen Bess (Stanley)

Starry Messenger (Sis)

Plymouth Rock (Fritz)

Peter the Great (Stanley)

Ben Franklin (Fritz or d'Aulaire)

Florence Nightingale (Leighton)

Foreign Language -

Hey Andrew Greek

Other -

Mastering Computer Typing (Roberts)

TaeKwon Do

soccer

• Like 1

3rd Grade:

Bible, History: My FatherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s World Rome to Reformation (The Story of the World Volume 2, Streams of Civilization, The Roman Empire, Augustus Caesar's World, Galen and the Gateway to Medicine, Usborne Medieval World, Usborne Ancient World, How the Bible Came to Us, Trial and Triumph, Read-Alouds: The Bronze Bow, Twice Freed, Dangerous Journey, The Door in the Wall)

Science: Apologia Astronomy, Anatomy and Physiology (The Human Body for Every Kid, The Body Book, Usborne First Encyclopedia of the Human Body, The Wonderful Way Babies Are Made)

Math: Singapore Math 3A & 3B, Beast Academy 2A & 2B

Language Arts: Language Lessons for Today 3, Spelling by Sound and Structure 3, Mensa Excellence in Reading Grades K-3 List, Institute for Excellence in Writing? or Writing with Ease 3?

Foreign Language: Spanish for Children, Duolingo, English from the Roots Up, Latin for Children (ThinkerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Cap Academy)?...probably not, but we just finished Getting Started with Latin and I hate to discontinue the skill...

Music: Composer CD Study and Piano Lessons

Computer: Dance Mat Typing (or ?)

Art: Home Art Studio, God and the History of Art

Physical Education: Weekly PE class, Gymnastics, Sports Teams

LA: Bravewriter Lifestyle + SchoolhouseTeachers

Math: Dynamo Math + Math on the Level + Cyberchase + Living Books

Science: Chcs Behold and See + BFSU + Random unit studies (science loving kid)

Unit Studies: Dipping in and out of Konos.

History: Story of the World

Bible: SchoolhouseTeachers

Plus random other bits and pieces, and things,Ive probably forgotten, lol

How did I miss this thread the first time?  This is Kid #4.  Boy, we look like slackers compared to everyone else!  Ironically, I actually dropped some of my plans after writing out our FIAR stuff.    

Five in a Row Volume 4

Math: finish Miquon

LA: Rod and Staff English 3, All About Spelling, cursive

Daily read-aloud and independent reading.

• Like 2

How did I miss this thread the first time? This is Kid #4. Boy, we look like slackers compared to everyone else! Ironically, I actually dropped some of my plans after writing out our FIAR stuff.

Five in a Row Volume 4

Math: finish Miquon

LA: Rod and Staff English 3, All About Spelling, cursive

Daily read-aloud and independent reading.

Your plan looks just fine!!

• Like 2

Your plan looks just fine!!

I planned all these other things and then I got a notebook and wrote out all of our books/activites for FIAR's Volume 4.  I dropped all of the extra stuff.  There's no way we would be able to get all that done!  

• Like 2

My son will be going into 3rd in Sep. I'm in the early stages of planning next year and a lot will depend on what gets finished before then but so far:

Math: MEP; Gattegno

Language Arts: 

• Grammar: Maxwell's Primary Lessons in Language and Composition (plus creative writing prompts)
  • Spelling: Word Mastery
  • Reading: Appleton's Reader
  • Lit: AO lit list and any he selects; I have a list of Boy's Book of ... that he's wanting to read 
  • Poetry: Graded Poetry Readers plus CM poet study and selected poems

Everything else is mostly undetermined depending on the rest of this year and what I decide on but some possibilities are:

Science: BFSU plus MSNucleus and supplements; nature study and journaling

History: ???

Spanish: family subject using misc cobbled together by me

Dance Mat Typing

CU Art Appreciation Lessons

Drawing - WE Form Drawing; Augsburg's or Drawing Textbook??

Handicraft: woodworking; fingerknitting or possibly knitting or crochet now

• 1 month later...

Math - R&S 3

Bible - Apologia Who is God and Our 24 Family Ways - Clay Clarkson

Science - BJU distance learning dvd's 3

History - HOD Preparing Hearts for his glory

Literature/Reading - HOD and other books along with MP guides

Latin - MP Latina Christiana

Writing - IEW and MP Intro to Comp

Spelling - Spelling by Sound and Structure (3)

Grammar - R&S

Music - piano lessons and Zeezok music appreciation curriculum

Art - local class

PE - gymnastics and lots of walks/runs

I don't have required reading for this kid yet. I make suggestions and give him a big selection to choose from.

We are fairly spontaneous with RA and rarely follow any plan. We are doing middle ages for history, so favorites like  Adam of the Road, The Door in the Wall, Robin Hood and King Arthur are all likely to be on our list. Some as audiobooks, perhaps. 

• Like 1

Reading well at 4th grade level.  Developing focus and concentration this year.  

All together with DS10 and DD3:

Morning Meeting/Power Hour: Calendar, Grammar, Poetry Memorizing, Math Facts Practice, fun songs and dance to work in preschool and workout morning wiggles.  

Daily Bible reading

History - Ancients: Creek Edge Press task cards, with SOTW 1 and Usborne Encyclopedia of World History as Spines.

Science: Finish Science in the Beginning, then Science in the Ancient World.  

Art/Music: Once a week Composer/Artist Studies from COAH.  

Read-Alouds: Whatever strikes our fancy in classical literature.

Individual Work:

Math: MM3

Grammar: FLL 3 (Mostly presented during Morning Meeting)

Writing: WWE 3

Spelling: Spelling Workout C, if copywork isn't enough to develop spelling skills further.  

Literature: Selections from WTM and SOTW 1 Activity Guide, followed by notebooking or narrations.  

Handwriting: Z-B 3.  

Typing: Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing

Health/PE: Playing, Bike Riding, Hiking, Activities with favorite uncle who is also a fitness instructor.  

Edited by Elizabeth 2

DS#3 turns 8 in August so we call him a 3rd grader.  

Here's his lineup:

LA: SWR, FLL3, WWE2, Sonlight Readers 3

Math: Singapore PM 3

Latin: Prima Latina

Science: Noeo Biology 1

History/Lit/Bible: Sonight Core C

Logic: Logic Safari, Primarily Logic

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Typing: Typing Instructor for Kids

PE: We don't really worry about since the boys do lacrosse, soccer, Crossfit, and swimming throughout the year. 

What planner is everyone using? I have been doing it on the computer, but that isn't always practical for me. I think I need a hard copy one. This one is the one I am thinking of, though the printing would be a pain. I like that it would be more or less just for us. That seems nice. And spiral binding is relatively cheap.

Right now, our reading list consists of:

The Harp and the Laurel Wreath

Classic Myths to Read Aloud: The Great Stories of Greek and Roman Mythology

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

The Riddle of the Rosetta Stone

The Golden Goblet

The Children of Noisy Village

The Family Under the Bridge

Of Swords and Sorcerers

The Hundred Dresses

Sarah, Plain and Tall

The Courage of Sarah Noble

Stone Fox

D'Aulaire biographies (Leif the Lucky, Abraham Lincoln, Benjamin Franklin, Buffalo Bill, George Washington, Pocahontas, and Columbus)

Dragon Wings

Five Children and It

Pippi Longstocking

Homer Price

The Little Prince

A Little Princess

Pollyanna Grows Up 

Bartholomew's Passage  (Our Advent read aloud; we read Jotham's Journey last Advent and couldn't get enough)