Menu

IEW's Window to the World

MrsMe

• 3 weeks later...

You could add a few extra books with it. If you use Jill Pike's syllabus with it you can get a year's worth of work out of the course.  It teaches students how to analyze literature.

Also, some people use the Teaching the Classics DVD's to start with.  They give you an overview of the terms in literature.

• Like 1

It's a 1/2 credit of English. The lit portion is short stories and learning lit devices through the stories. The writing is literary analysis papers, narrative, point of view and maybe descriptive.

You would want to add another 1/2 credit of lit and composition.

I loved teaching it and found it excellent (we interspersed Tapestry of Grace yr 4 books and TOG writing--and 6 weeks of Attune-up). I can't wait to do it with dd next year.

• Like 1

I'm using this right now with a group of highschool students ranging from 9th to 11th (the older ones were a bit behind in this area).  Along with the Jill Pike Syllabus it is a full credit for an average or young student.  

The syllabus has the students go through Teaching the Classics over the first few weeks and also adds in work with To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, and Hamlet.  Jill blended the additions of those three works with the WttW materials beautifully.  WttW itself uses many short stories and poetry to teach and practice the skills.  You could easily add in additional reading and writing assignments to further practice the skills covered. Combined, these resources have made an engaging, fun class for my students.  Like the pp, I have LOVED teaching this program.  

I wish I could find another program just like it to move these students into next year! 

• Like 3

I'm using this right now with a group of highschool students ranging from 9th to 11th (the older ones were a bit behind in this area). Along with the Jill Pike Syllabus it is a full credit for an average or young student.

The syllabus has the students go through Teaching the Classics over the first few weeks and also adds in work with To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, and Hamlet. Jill blended the additions of those three works with the WttW materials beautifully. WttW itself uses many short stories and poetry to teach and practice the skills. You could easily add in additional reading and writing assignments to further practice the skills covered. Combined, these resources have made an engaging, fun class for my students. Like the pp, I have LOVED teaching this program.

I wish I could find another program just like it to move these students into next year!

Have you looked at Illuminating Literature ?
  • Like 1

I'm using this right now with a group of highschool students ranging from 9th to 11th (the older ones were a bit behind in this area).  Along with the Jill Pike Syllabus it is a full credit for an average or young student.  

The syllabus has the students go through Teaching the Classics over the first few weeks and also adds in work with To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, and Hamlet.  Jill blended the additions of those three works with the WttW materials beautifully.  WttW itself uses many short stories and poetry to teach and practice the skills.  You could easily add in additional reading and writing assignments to further practice the skills covered. Combined, these resources have made an engaging, fun class for my students.  Like the pp, I have LOVED teaching this program.  

I'm teaching it in a co-op class this year, and I agree with the above. 

Freesia - have you begun using this yet? I've looked at the website and downloaded the samples and like what I'm seeing so far. I'm not seeing writing instruction...are you familiar enough with it to give more details?

No, I havent, but I am also looking at it for a co-op class I teach. I don't think it has writing instruction,though. It has different project choices. You could assign lit essay in the Wttw style. Sharon Watson has a high school writing book that I was thinking of going with it--but for my student not the group. Edited by freesia
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Bailed on Illuminating Lit. Lacked so many things I don't know where to begin. The books were not well suited for 9th graders, more like 11-12. The TM changed the approach with each book. No comprehension questions to spring board off to literary structure. Organization was chaotic at best. I wanted to like it, I did, but in the end it went on the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1