Menu

Praying Mamas - I need you. Update #150 :(

BlsdMama

Ugh.  I think sitting here is awful but there is nothing to do.  Nothing.  No one to cook for - they are up at RonaldMcDonald for sleep and otherwise eating at hospital.  My parents and his parents are working on funeral arrangements this morning and there is just nothing more to do.  Pray for baby Ray.  He is really doing as well as can be expected for a 22 weeker.  I'm hopeful and encouraged about it and just pray they can get to keep this one earth.  Please, please, Heavenly Father, for this child I beg.............  :(  :( :( :(

• Like 8

I am sorry to hear this. I have been there too. I know for me I channeled all my grief into my remaining children, then child.

Things I can think that might be helpful you can do.

- Find a box, or make one, have one made, that can house all the things that were Baby Ray's (that was his name right?).

- I assume the mother is pumping. Get a care package of instant oatmeal, artificial maple syrup, mother's milk tea, Brewers yeast and anything else you can find, to give to the mother. Her supply may take a hit from this but it is vital she continue.

- if you sew, start making NICU friendly clothing for the surviving baby.

- See if they have a Moby Wrap, and if not get them one for kangaroo care. My daughter was about a pound when I first held her at a month of age. The Moby wrap was vital so she stayed intubated and I didn't feel like I needed to be a statute.

- go to their house and clean up. One of the hardest things I went through is when I got home after loosing my first triplet was the house looked like the day I left it in a hurry. Going home like that wasn't fun.

- create a gift basket for the nurse that cared primarily for the lost twin. My son Alexander lived 11 days but I later found out that his primary nurse had a hard time just like we did with his passing.

That is all I can think of right now. Like I said, I have been there, done that. So sorry for your loss. ((Hugs))

• Like 3

Thank God for being in the U of Iowa where they believe in treating 22 week babies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/health/premature-babies-22-weeks-viability-study.html?_r=0

I was surprised to hear that some places do nothing at 22 weeks but do "everything" a few days later.

Praying for your nephew to not only survive but thrive!

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I was surprised to hear that some places do nothing at 22 weeks but do "everything" a few days later.

Praying for your nephew to not only survive but thrive!

With ds I was very fortunate that my problem was spotted during my ultrasound and was hospitalized at 18 weeks with an incompetent cervix. I was absolutely determined to reach 22 weeks and 4 days so that they would treat my baby when he was born. I absolutely hated the thought that he would be a miscarriage one day and magically be a baby the next. That was a huge stresser for me while lying there. The nurses had a little party on the 22 w 4d and gave me my steroid shot (lung development) with great joy.

Praying for your family and the surviving twin. :grouphug:

Baby Ray died yesterday morning.  

They came home yesterday afternoon.  I was able to see the last night and I think they're doing as well as can be expected.  The funeral arrangements will be finalized today and then the funeral later this week or this weekend.  

I am asking for prayers for her family.  This is a lot to deal with.  Their daughter is 6.5 and these boys were long awaited after secondary infertility.  It's just tragic. :( :( :(