Menu

Help with course alternatives...

Since we are remaining in Italy, I need to come up with some course alternatives (for courses we are hoping to take at the school, but may not be able to due to schedule availability).

LEGOManiac will be in 11th grade.

The plan is that he will take these courses at the school:

Italian 3

AP Environmental Science OR AP Physics 1

AP English Language and Composition (HOPEFULLY!)

Elective (from a group of choices)

These are the courses he will take at home:

Western Civilization (Spielvogel text & study guide + The Great Courses)

Digital Photography 1 (Coursera MOOC)

Finish Precalculus and begin AP Calculus ABC (we'll finish this his senior year).

Robotics 2 (either use TGC+ on Robotics with Raspberry Pi or LEGO for experiments, or Coursera MOOC (minus a bunch of the math/application) + Raspberry Pi).

I need to find/make a course which we can use to replace AP English Language and Composition.  GA Virtual has AP Literature and Composition...but there are definite holes I'd need to fill.  I believe EDx has a "Preparing" for the AP English Language and Composition Course...has anyone used either of these resources?  

PonyGirl will be in 9th grade.  I think her schedule will be fairly easy to plan, since one of her courses (for certain) will be through the virtual program (German 3), and if Precalculus doesn't work out (schedule wise), she can take AP Stats through the virtual program as well.

BUT, I'm attempting to put together an AP World Geography course together for her.  I know GA Virtual has something we can use, and I'm pretty certain we can align the text, but again...seems to have some holes that need filing.  I could also select an AP text and use the lectures from The Great Courses Plus, but am wondering about assessments.

Since you are doing US History this year maybe consider AP US History for next (school or home).  Not sure if that looks "bad" to colleges or not.

He is actually signed up to take the APUSH exam this year, and the SAT2 for American History.  But thank you!

He is actually signed up to take the APUSH exam this year, and the SAT2 for American History.  But thank you!

AP Statistics - my nephew took this his Junior year along with Precalc, he did very well  (he did 4 APs that year)

courses typically taken Senior year but your student is advanced in Social Studies:

AP Macroeconomics

AP U.S. Government and Politics