Menu

Are workbooks a time waster?

lacell

Just food for thought/discussion: For any given subject, can that subject be taught more efficiently without a workbook than with one, especiAlly a workbook that has the answers already there on the page to choose from (as opposed to child having to come up with answer with no hints). Are workbooks inherently full of busywork or can they really be better than other methods for some kids? What are the benefits to workbooks for the child? How can they benefit the teacher in ways that benefit the child?

Its a delicate balance between teacher, student and materials as to say what is most efficient/effective.

Workbooks have worked fairly well for a number of years for us and the multiple choice question format has been kind of scarce in most of the workbooks that we used, but not unheard of. I do not believe that workbooks are inherently full of busywork, I feel that poorly written curriculum/poorly crafted assignments are inherently a waste of time, which is far worse than mere busywork. Of course most of the workbooks that I've used don't fall in that category.

A workbook has a huge benefit in allowing the childs writing/output to go farther--instead of copying out entire questions/passages with limited physical endurance/writing stamina when "the point" is just 3 words. It helps to minimize the juggling of books for the student. If the workbook has the reading passage, the illustrations and the discussion questions for that passage/illustration then the child only needs to look at a 1 or 2 page spread in a single book instead of propping open several books or going back and forth while working on a single assignment.

For many students the "keeping their place" part in juggling multiple books is a struggle. Textbooks are bigger/denser/meatier and more intimidating to work from for some kids so they could create a sense of overwhelming dread in a student which creates strife for the teacher.

My boys could work so well from Math Mammoth because they only had a pamphlet of X pages in-front of them instead a massive textbook.

I don't think that work books are Gods gift to the education world, but I am not quite convinced they are the devils plague on education either.

• Like 14

I think Gil and Jackie are right, there is a lot that determines what will be helpful and what won't.  Just like with anything else, it depends on the workbook, the student, the parent, etc.  My kids are very different.  One works much better with a workbook for certain subjects.  CLE Math has been a huge help to DD.  She doesn't lose her place, she has clearly laid out expectations, she doesn't have to waste time copying problems, explanations are on the same page as the problems, there are rarely multiple choice answers so she writes quite a bit, but all the images are on the same page as the question so no wasted time or confusion flipping between resources, and it is easy to carry with us, everything all in one place.  I was surprised to find that both DD and I do much better with this format for math for her.  I do not find this to be "busywork" in a negative sense at all.  Also, when there are too many unnecessary review problems it is so easy to look ahead and figure out which ones we can cross out, knowing the material will be reviewed again later.

My son does not do as well with this format.  We still use CLE but we do a lot of the problems on a dry erase board, plus some text book materials, coupled with things like Beast Academy, among other resources.  He would probably say that CLE workbooks ARE busywork.  But he thinks so differently from his sister, he just doesn't get as much out of this format.  I, however, do well teaching from this resource so I am willing to take what is in the workbooks and move it to the dry erase board, incorporate other resources, etc. so that we have a system that works for both of us.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

IMO, all workbooks are not created equal. I do not use many workbooks. They do come in handy for reinforcement or drill in things like math facts, writing lists of things like contractions or state capitols, and handwriting. All that could be done w/o workbooks, but workbooks can be a help. I love teaching through hands on lessons, reading books and asking for narrations, using a white board instead of a workbook when possible, and spontaneously as real life happens. Easy Grammar and handwriting copybooks are the only workbooks we currently use. I have looked at some grammar workbooks that I would consider only busywork, but that is not my take on Easy Grammar. For me, EG is beneficial because it covers material more systematically, concisely, and thoroughly than I could do on my own. Handwriting copybooks have been beneficial for me since my handwriting is not that great. If I had great penmanship, I wouldn't bother purchasing copybooks. I would instead teach penmanship from the white board and have my children copy my writing. Our math program is not workbook based, but we benifitted from math workbooks during a busy life season last school year. Using only math workbook instruction for the long haul would drive my children and me batty, but I can understand how a good workbook based math program would be the saving grace for many teachers not as confident in teaching math concepts. ETA, I also know a few children who thrive on workbook based math.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 1

I agree with Gil!  

Carefully chosen workbooks have saved me a lot of time, actually.  I find them best suited to learning specific skills, like English mechanics and punctuation, or handwriting, or math.  I know the 2nd grade Climbing to Good English workbook saved my bacon last year with one of my kids.

• Like 1

I believe a workbook can be busy work. We don't have any with multiple choice. That said, I really enjoy math workbooks at the current age of my kids so that they don't need to spend time copying problems into a notebook. Later this year my oldest daughter will switch to pre algebra and her math workbook days will be done. We also use Apples and Pears for spelling. While I'm sure spelling could easily be done without a workbook, this one has been very effective for us. I don't think we are using any other workbooks this year. I can easily picture school without them, but I'm not against using them when they are effective.

• Like 1

I'll play :)

I think you can't pile all workbooks into the same category- as others have said, they can vary greatly in quality. I also think they work better for some subjects than others, for some purposes than others, and for some children better than others. Which is a non-answer so I'll be more specific about my own use of workbooks.

I think there are situations where a workbook is almost ideal. Multiplication fact memorization, for example. The only way to get them cemented is to repeat, repeat, repeat. Sure I could use flash cards but the workbook can be done independently- which is far more efficient of MY time. Or handwriting- I could copy out their copywork ahead of them (and sometimes do) but it's more efficient to have it done for me.

There are other times a workbook is admittedly not IDEAL but I use it anyways because 1. It is easy to open and go and does not require planning. 2. It can be done independently. 3. It can easily be assigned as "homework" and used to teach time management. I tend towards workbooks in this division when we are sick or I am burnt out, for review over summer, or for subjects I'm not confident in teaching, or don't have strong feelings about (like spelling).

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 1

Growing up we didn't have workbooks in school.  We had to copy a lot of stuff out of books.  It was a lot of work.  Workbooks can eliminate some of that busywork.  Of course I did have some crazy good stamina after all that writing that my kids don't seem to have to the same extent.  But yes it was a lot of busywork sometimes. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure that the term "workbook" is a fair term across the board. I've used the odd workbook, which I'd define as a stand-alone book not part of a comprehensive curriculum. I've used many high-quality, comprehensive educational programs that happen to have booklets that look like "workbooks" (e.g., Beast Academy, Explode the Code, Wordly Wise, MCP Phonics).  

• Like 2

Adding my vote that workbooks vary widely in quality.

Also, that effectiveness varies widely depending on learning style. My learning style benefits greatly from workbooks. Not everyone is that way.

But yes... I think the answer to this question would have to be considered on a case by case basis.

• Like 1

It depends. We don't use a lot of workbooks but I suspect when my DD is of age she will enjoy them more than DS.

We used Kumon books this past summer. That's how DS learn to cut well and write letters and numbers, so it wasn't busy work. I plan to use workbooks again for summer homeschool. But not in excess and not as busy work. I use coloring books for that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm not sure that the term "workbook" is a fair term across the board. I've used the odd workbook, which I'd define as a stand-alone book not part of a comprehensive curriculum. I've used many high-quality, comprehensive educational programs that happen to have booklets that look like "workbooks" (e.g., Beast Academy, Explode the Code, Wordly Wise, MCP Phonics).  

Yeah MCT's Practice Town is hardly a workbook, but is really a workbook.

• Like 1

We used Kumon books this past summer. That's how DS learn to cut well and write letters and numbers, so it wasn't busy work. I plan to use workbooks again for summer homeschool. But not in excess and not as busy work. I use coloring books for that :)

I forgot about Kumon. We loved these! My littlest guys enjoyed the cutting books. They weren't big into colouring, but loved cutting paper.

• Like 1

I love workbooks. I seem to have some aversion to textbooks. I think it comes from too many years of copying questions and copying various other things that could have been simplified by using a workbook. Most of the workbooks we have don't include multiple choice though. We are using Analytical Grammar, Beast Academy and Math Mammoth. I actually created my own workbook to go with english from the roots up since it didn't have one. Everything in one place, organized, categorized. I've never understood why so many people think all workbooks are bad. You have to evaluate the content, not workbook vs textbook.

Edited by Momto4inSoCal
  • Like 1

I actually think workbooks REMOVE a lot of busywork in certain topics. I'd much rather a workbook for the skill subjects, where the child just has to write the answer rather than copying whole passages out

But I do find workbooks in the content subjects can, at times, just be busywork. But they vary greatly in quality. You can't just paint them all with one brush

• Like 2