Menu

When Math Mammoth 6 is over, what do we do?

Hwin

I keep looking at the Pre-A options, but I would like another year before doing something like AoPS. My son will be 10 and in 5th next year.

He could use some work on word problems but would be very frustrated by a year of word problems.

Some areas - like fractions and decimals - he's sailed along and that's how he's been completing more than one grade each year. Other areas, like geometry, we slow to a crawl and it's a real struggle.

He does not particularly enjoy being challenged, either.

I bought the MM 1-6 and committed to it for better or worse... I really don't know what else is out there and need some ideas!

Do you want him to move into pre-alegbra? Dolciani is excellent for that, but it's a lot of work, and your son is pretty young for it, imo. If you want to mark some time in between MM6 and pre-algebra, what about working through some Key To workbooks? They have a geometry set. Or maybe he would enjoy Life of Fred? (My dd hated it, but I know a lot of kids love it.) Have you used Hands-On Equations? He may like that, too.

• Like 1

MM7 is prealgebra.

FWIW, geometry isn't one of my favorite parts of MM.  I prefer the treatment in AoPS Prealgebra.

I don't see a reason to wait to try AoPS Prealgebra.  It's nice not to have any time pressure for getting through the early, tough chapters and time to alternate with Alcumus.

If you'd like more problem solving practice up front, you could pick up SM CWP and do selections from those for a couple months.  Or, have him get started in Alcumus for a bit and see how far he can get, though he might as well start the text and go slowly, IMO.

• Like 1

Any chance that something like beast academy 5 or something from the critical thinking co would fit the bill until you're ready for him to start pre algebra? You could also take the year to piece together random resources that specifically address areas of weakness and stretch him (gently since he's averse to it...).

• Like 3

Another idea from me is Math Essentials. Like MM, it has a PDF version that can be printed which is the one we use and is mastery-based though it has daily review. 

My eldest was eager to do maths differently after doing the same for years and like yours has some areas he breezes through and really gets and others that are the bane of existence from the way he act towards them. I wanted him to work through his tougher areas while digging deeper or at least keeping his other maths skills fresh. So we changed to Maths Essentials for him. They have smaller [60ish pages/lessonss] single subject books like Geometry and Problem Solving the latter of which has a set of review 'normal' math problems and then around 7 word problems per page/lesson if you think he needs that. We started with the Mastering Essential Math Skills main books that have all the topics in them [though book 1 has a topic not in book 2 so we're planning to mix and match them] . Each lesson has short daily review, speed drills, usually a video - which my eldest likes because it's not me and in areas he i good at he races the instructor on the video to finish the problem - sample problems to do with me and then his own problems including one word problem per lesson outside of the problem solving chapter. He's flourishing with it and I've found it easy to add extra onto if he needs or wants to dig deeper into a topic before moving on. We quite like it and I'm finding it a great way to look into all the topics one at a time to see what he needs before we move into pre-algebra and algebra and his confidence with it has shot up because each day you see the 'score' of problems right so he can see how well he is doing even in trickier areas that take him longer. 

• Like 2

I'm guessing you have the older MM 1-6 and didn't do the update she offered? or did you? I didn't do the free update and I'm starting to wonder what we will do when he's finished 1-6. I thought the update slowed down 6 and stretched it into 7(preA)?

If he needs help in word problems and geometry then Beast is perfect. We do it when he needs a change up. We've done 3 and most of 4. Don't be afraid to go back to 4 in it. It's got some deep problems. We've used Zaccarros (wasn't appealing) and LOF. Khan Academy (free online) was the best cheap reinforcement we've used so far.

Congrats to you and your child for finishing!

Edit to add: That Numberless word problems link Gil gave you is neat!

Edited by MotherOfBoys
  • Like 1

Maria Miller is the best.

I realized I had never saved MM level 1 when I moved info onto my new computer. I think we were in MM2 at that point and maybe I thought I'd never use it?? Did I really only have one kid then?? So I emailed to see if she would send me grade one.

She sent me the 1-6 download and a very generous coupon for MM7.

One decision easily made!

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing you have the older MM 1-6 and didn't do the update she offered? or did you? I didn't do the free update and I'm starting to wonder what we will do when he's finished 1-6. I thought the update slowed down 6 and stretched it into 7(preA)?

This is what I was looking for!  It seems like I read somewhere at some point over the years that children who finish the old version of MM6 are ready to move onto Algebra I, but for the life of me I can't find where I read that.  It may not have even been on these forums...possibly it was the Math Mammoth site.  I also wondered if MM's pre algebra would be a repeat for students coming out of the old version of MM6.

My daughter is finishing up MM6 this year and I can't decide whether or not to go straight into Algebra or do pre algebra first.  She's doing great in the old MM6, rarely ever getting anything incorrect.  But while she doesn't hate math, I can't say she really enjoys it.  I don't want to put her in algebra and it be frustrating but, I also don't want to waste a year in pre algebra if it isn't necessary.

Do you or anyone else have any advice concerning this situation?  Has anyone successfully gone to algebra after the old MM6?  Is a pre algebra program necessary?  

Thanks!

I have the old MM6 and my DD just finished it. She is taking some "break" time to do Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals & Percents to make sure she has those down cold from a different angle before moving on to MM7 pre-algebra next year. I know MM7 will repeat a lot of stuff from the old MM6, but I'd rather have her do that than try to take on algebra before the other stuff is solid. She does great with the formulaic-type answers, but struggles with the word problems, so I think the extra time to re-do that stuff will be good for her.

We did not do geometry from MM6 but did Hands-On Geometry instead this year, which she has loved. It was a free download that I found on these boards somewhere, sorry I don't have the link. Next year with MM7 we will probably skip the Geometry section there as well and do several chapters of the Critical Thinking Company Understanding Geometry instead along with it. She might do some Life of Fred Pre-Algebra (just the biology book, the other ones are not very good, IME) if she finishes MM7 before the end of 7th grade. Up through 5th grade we slogged through the MM Geometry stuff, but it never really was my favorite portion of MM.

If he needs help in word problems and geometry then Beast is perfect. We do it when he needs a change up. We've done 3 and most of 4. Don't be afraid to go back to 4 in it. It's got some deep problems. We've used Zaccarros (wasn't appealing) and LOF. Khan Academy (free online) was the best cheap reinforcement we've used so far.

Congrats to you and your child for finishing!

Edit to add: That Numberless word problems link Gil gave you is neat!

Hi there, what was the free update? I purchased the All Inclusive package last January through Homeschool Buyers Co-op and never got an email offer to upgrade so I'm curious how to find out about it or if it's done with. 

Thanks x

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the updated ones were done 2013-early 2014 timeframe?? That's when I remember people being concerned about old vs. new, which one was "better", is the new one dumbed down, etc. So you probably have the older version. If you look on her site, I think she has charts or files comparing the old and new of each grade. I also have the old version (bought 6 yrs ago) if you want to pm me your page numbers/chapters/topics and I can see if it lines up.

To answer the OP, I plan on (trying to use) Aops Pre-A with Dolciani subbing or completely taking over as needed. Dd is young for this level of math so I've been trying to slow her down with MM6 even though parts of it are boring her. She's done almost all of Hand on Equations stuff I got from HBC and enjoyed it. (Highly recommend it! The pieces are fun to use.) She's also done Key to Decimals which was tedious but well done. I may pick up Key to Fractions/Percents. I'm really waiting for the maturity to handle higher math. That's why I'm keeping Dolciani in the wings if AoPs overwhelms. 

Edited by waa510
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My DD has done MM5 and 6, and is about to finish MM7. You and your child will feel about MM7 exactly how you feel about MM5 and 6 LOL. We have liked them. We think DD is algebra-ready after MM7. Background: She is an above-average 7th grade student all-around, and the only person in our house who doesn't love math. So finding MM has been a blessing.

• Like 1