Menu

Talk to me about chest freezers...

EmilyGF

My mom has offered to buy us a chest freezer and I'm trying to figure out how large of one to buy.

We live in a very urban place (we aren't going to be freezing excess produce from our garden!) but have sufficient space that size isn't the determining factor. We have four kids and a fifth one expected any time now. I thought my husband would be dead set against it, except that the day my mom called to offer it, we had everything cascade out of our freezer. We have a relatively small fridge and don't plan to do any work on our kitchen for at least 4 years.

What size should we get?

Thanks,

Emily

My mom has offered to buy us a chest freezer and I'm trying to figure out how large of one to buy.

We live in a very urban place (we aren't going to be freezing excess produce from our garden!) but have sufficient space that size isn't the determining factor. We have four kids and a fifth one expected any time now. I thought my husband would be dead set against it, except that the day my mom called to offer it, we had everything cascade out of our freezer. We have a relatively small fridge and don't plan to do any work on our kitchen for at least 4 years.

What size should we get?

Thanks,

Emily

I don't know about size--we have a medium sized one and it's plenty of space--but I would highly, HIGHLY recommend getting an upright. They're more money, but you'll make that back on the cost of the food you won't lose at the bottom of a standard one!

• Like 8

We are very happy with the smallest of chest freezers.

Current inventory:

3 boxes of Costco mini-quiches (my disabled dd loves these so we stock up at Christmas when they're available)

2 boxes of Costco taquitos

6 mini loaves of french bread

12-15 1 cup containers of frozen berries/peaches plus a few of pizza sauce

5 packs of chicken breasts (2 breasts each)

about 6 packages of hamburger

1 flank steak

about 4 pork tenderloins

15 quart bags of blueberries and 1 of marionberries

Costco 4-pack of bacon

dh's film that he thinks he may use someday even though he's used his digital camera exclusively for years

• Like 1

I have a small chest freezer that I have been happy with. I bought some metal, stackable baskets that cost me a bit of space, but make rotating the inventory so, so easy. They also mean I don't have to lean to the very bottom. It held half a pig, when we used to buy those, and now it can hold 6 9x9 casseroles plus the other freezer things. I use the fridge freezer for certain things, and the chest freezer for longer-store things.

I don't know what size mine is, but I love having it.  Our fridge is very small and the freezer is tiny. 

I kind of wish it were upright because I have a tough time reaching to the bottom.  In fact I have to stand on something to do it.  I am very short though.  We would not have been able to get an upright into the basement though.

The one bummer thing is I couldn't find a self defrosting chest freezer.  I assume they must make them, but either they are very difficult to find or that version is way too expensive.  Kind of a pain. 

I had a chest freezer for years, and finally switched to upright a few years back. Love it.

OP unless you plan to buy meat in bulk, a small to medium should be big enough.

Note: self defrosting freezers are not recommended for any kind of long term storage.

The cycling of warming to defrost will freezer burn your food.

We have a small upright freezer, about 4 feet.  It is the perfect size.  I am SO GLAD I did not purchase the bigger one.  We are a family of 8.  We actually turn it off turning the summer when it is hot in our garage.  But, we love having it in the other months to hold "extra" freezer stuff.

I kind of wish it were upright because I have a tough time reaching to the bottom.  In fact I have to stand on something to do it.  I am very short though.  We would not have been able to get an upright into the basement though.

I went with an upright for exactly this reason. I'm not opening it every day, hence I don't need to trap the cold air in a chest freezer. I'm short, so I didn't want to have to try to reach the bottom. I had this image of me stuck upside down in the freezer with my legs waving around in the air! I also have hands that get very cold and painful very quickly, so I figured it would be better to not have to spend extra time pawing through a chest freezer to find what I need.

I went with an upright for exactly this reason. I'm not opening it every day, hence I don't need to trap the cold air in a chest freezer. I'm short, so I didn't want to have to try to reach the bottom. I had this image of me stuck upside down in the freezer with my legs waving around in the air! I also have hands that get very cold and painful very quickly, so I figured it would be better to not have to spend extra time pawing through a chest freezer to find what I need.

Haha..yes it is kinda like that (legs waving around in the air). 

I used to have that problem with the top loading washer too. But now I have a front loader.  So much easier!

The opening to the basement is narrow and the basement ceiling is low.  So an upright is not really an option.

The determining factor for us was that we buy meat in bulk each year.  If you do that, you'll need a larger freezer.   I use recycling bins with handles from the container store to organize our freezer.  They stack two deep in our six foot freezer so I only have to move one container to reach the bottom bin. 

Edited by Artichoke

I have a chest freezer that's about 15 cubic feet. It fits 1/2 a beef (usually around 250 pounds of meat) plus 20 pounds of sausage, 8 or so quarts of frozen peaches, and there is still some room for other stuff. I'm only 5'2" and reaching in isn't a problem until we get to the very bottom of our meat supply. When we get our beef, I organize it in the freezer so I don't have to dig through everything. The hamburger is all stacked on one side, roasts together, steaks, etc. The freezer came with 4 baskets that I put our more frequently used items in.

Lana