Menu

Things to do in Washington DC

ItoLina

Just found out my husband has a work conference in DC in early April so I'm going to tag along with the kids. This thread is helpful, I'm guessing we will be there too early to see the cherry blossoms.

Is the zoo much better than an average zoo? I've never seen a panda but I've taken my kids to 3-4 zoos over the years. We will be there about a week so I want to hit a couple of the Smithsonians and maybe the mint and spy museum.

We have been hoping to do a family vacation in DC once our youngest is a bit older so he will remember it so this won't be likely to be our only trip.

Cherry Blossom Festival ends April 17th this year...

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this. 9 days is an awesome amount of time. For the area. I think I'd do, in no particular order:

1. A day of meandering . . .exit the metro on the mall and just follow the kids around. Maybe hit up the smithsonian castle, grab a bunch of brochures and let the kids each choose a museum for that day.

2. A targeted museum day . . . Intentionally go to the museums you didn't wander to first time

3. A paid museum day . . . Newseum, Spy Museum . . . something you have to pay for.

4. A Baltimore day (an hour's drive). . . Aquarium, Science Center, Port Discovery, or Train museum. I'd pick two. My kids could easily spend the entire day at the science center or the aquarium, but i don't know that that's something normal you can count on. Skip museum dining and eat at the big food court thingy on the inner harbor. It's right there. You can see it from the museums. The Train museum isn't on the harbor, but has free parking and is worth it if you have any train buffs or kids who would enjoy climbing on giant engines and pushing buttons.

5. Mount Vernon . . . a whole day . . . a nice one . . .maybe even do the boat tour. I've never don't the boat tour.

6. Arlington and Zoo

7. Stay Home . . . One day to relax and not go into traffic.

8. Annapolis (an hour's drive) . . . It's a distinct change of scenery. At those ages your kids would enjoy the pirate cruise and a naval base tour that included music or silent drill practice would be amazingly memorable.

9. More museums, or just rest, and see a show . . . a nighttime drive to the monuments is nice. They're lit up and traffic isn't bad at night.

I'd plan exact days once I arrived and checked the weather. It could be hot OR snowing. There's no way to know. Also, be flexible. You'll spend all that money on a trip and your kids will remember that $10 kite you picked up on a whim and let them fly near the monuments.

• Like 3

Just found out my husband has a work conference in DC in early April so I'm going to tag along with the kids. This thread is helpful, I'm guessing we will be there too early to see the cherry blossoms.

Is the zoo much better than an average zoo? I've never seen a panda but I've taken my kids to 3-4 zoos over the years. We will be there about a week so I want to hit a couple of the Smithsonians and maybe the mint and spy museum.

We have been hoping to do a family vacation in DC once our youngest is a bit older so he will remember it so this won't be likely to be our only trip.

The beginning of April is actually your best chance to see the blossoms.  There's no way to be sure, of course, but if you'll be here right at the beginning of April, you have a good chance of seeing them. You almost certainly wouldn't be too early- too late is more likely, especially if you're here in the later part of early April (if that makes sense :)).

The zoo is not better than your average zoo.  The only unique attraction is the pandas (which you may or may not be able see during your visit).  It's a perfectly nice zoo, but it's the kind of place we go when we live here, not when we visit here.  If you do want to go to see the pandas, find out the times when you'd have the best chance of seeing them.

• Like 3

KungFu Panda-

My kiddo always remembers the little things too:)

She won't stop talking about the fact that the Jefferson Memorial will give $2 bills as change in the giftshop:)

The toilet paper dispenser in McDonalds that was locked up with a double set of chains and a padlock as big as my hand:)

And the picnic we had at the Mall...

• Like 1

Make sure you get pictures of the dc at all of the monuments. Those monuments represent our history, and your children will be part of that history. The monuments are also recognizable in all sorts of media, and every time the Washington Memorial or the Jefferson Memorial or the Vietnam Memorial shows up, your dc will *remember*.

• Like 2

The beginning of April is actually your best chance to see the blossoms. There's no way to be sure, of course, but if you'll be here right at the beginning of April, you have a good chance of seeing them. You almost certainly wouldn't be too early- too late is more likely, especially if you're here in the later part of early April (if that makes sense :)).

The zoo is not better than your average zoo. The only unique attraction is the pandas (which you may or may not be able see during your visit). It's a perfectly nice zoo, but it's the kind of place we go when we live here, not when we visit here. If you do want to go to see the pandas, find out the times when you'd have the best chance of seeing them.

Thank you. It is the first week of April, we may tack a couple days onto the beginning so my husband can see some things with us.

Good to know about the zoo, I enjoy visiting zoos but with so many things to also see we may hold off on that.

Just chiming in that, no, the zoo is not better than an average zoo. Frankly, for being the "National Zoo" that draws tourists from around the world, the zoo was disappointment and not a reflection, imo, of the many amazing zoos we have around the country. 

Oh, if you are interested in seeing the Washington Monument, look online for tickets NOW.  The tickets are "free," but if you reserve online, you'll be charged $1.50 service fee per ticket.  The advance tickets sell out quickly. The alternative is to arrive the day of your visit and hope they have tickets left.  See http://www.nps.gov/wamo/planyourvisit/index.htm

Keep in mind (as I mentioned previously in this thread) that the food court at Union Station has a lot of offerings at normal prices.  Union Station is a Metro hub, so if it fits your schedule, you could consider grabbing lunch here.

We'll be in the area for Easter, so I'll be looking at any offerings connected with the Cherry Blossom Festival, and considering whether to go into the city or (finally!) visit the Udvar-Hazy Museum . . .   No Washington Monument tickets left for that day!

You will have a lovely time!!!!

• Like 1

Just chiming in that, no, the zoo is not better than an average zoo. Frankly, for being the "National Zoo" that draws tourists from around the world, the zoo was disappointment and not a reflection, imo, of the many amazing zoos we have around the country.

Oh, if you are interested in seeing the Washington Monument, look online for tickets NOW. The tickets are "free," but if you reserve online, you'll be charged $1.50 service fee per ticket. The advance tickets sell out quickly. The alternative is to arrive the day of your visit and hope they have tickets left. See http://www.nps.gov/wamo/planyourvisit/index.htm

Keep in mind (as I mentioned previously in this thread) that the food court at Union Station has a lot of offerings at normal prices. Union Station is a Metro hub, so if it fits your schedule, you could consider grabbing lunch here.

We'll be in the area for Easter, so I'll be looking at any offerings connected with the Cherry Blossom Festival, and considering whether to go into the city or (finally!) visit the Udvar-Hazy Museum . . . No Washington Monument tickets left for that day!

You will have a lovely time!!!!

Thanks! I think my kids would love going to the Washington Monument. They didn't believe me when I said I had done it in college.
  • Like 1

Just following along, as we'll be there for a couple days the end of March, too.  Apparently, a lot of us will be in the area this spring!

We live pretty close - about 3 hours - so no trip to DC has to be all-encompassing for us.  Which I'm thankful for!  I would probably be pickier on what we do if that were the case.   :)

So far all we've done on past visits are the National Museum of Natural History (and right now, the main dinosaur parts are closed, but I think they still have a little bit of dinosaur stuff rotating, just a lot smaller than it was - we liked the NMNH, but won't go back until that part is done, because that was the best part!   ;), a little bit of wandering along the National Mall, and the Smithsonian castle.  This time we're doing the zoo (our zoo is very different, so I'm looking forward to a change of pace, zoo-wise) and monuments.  

I'm thinking about doing the day tickets for some sort of bus or trolley tour that we can just hop off and on whenever.  Is there a double decker bus that's open on top?  Or is the trolley the best option?  Just when it comes to the view... any touristy stuff they may say doesn't really matter to me.

We'll be staying near Capitol Hill, and we'll definitely be using the Metro for everything, because we're not even driving up.   :lol:  My husband HATES congested traffic areas COUGHroadrageCOUGH and it makes that portion of the trip eyeroll worthy at the least and annoying at best - so we're taking the train.   :D

Anyway, have fun!!  I'm just taking notes for any future excursions.

ETA: Oh, UGH, the WHOLE REASON I commented and I forgot!!  Depending on when you are there in March, the homeschool day at Mt. Vernon may coincide.  I think it is March 8.  Rates will be lower, with special programming, I'm sure.  

Also, I wouldn't recommend Colonial Williamsburg at all.  Ever.  I live in VA so I say that there is a sort of an obligation, as someone who lives this close, to go there at least once - but for out-of-state-ers, who live nowhere near?  Nah.  It's not that great or important.  It's actually a little bit boring - something that they could do really well with if they just tried a little harder, but it's just not quite there.  Kwim?  The Jamestown Settlement is much cooler, but tbh, if you're in the DC area I'd do Mt. Vernon instead, homeschool day or not.  That should be plenty of Colonial history for the trip.  

Edited by PeacefulChaos
  • Like 2

As I'm looking online at the tours, I'm seeing that many don't allow strollers, backpacks, etc.  What do people do with their stuff?  Are there lockers?  We will be staying in VA, the hotel will shuttle us to the Metro for free, but if I'm away from the hotel all day I'm going to need stuff for my kids.  My 3 year old doesn't really use a stroller anymore, but I'm thinking I will want it for this trip.

Just following along, as we'll be there for a couple days the end of March, too. Apparently, a lot of us will be in the area this spring!

We live pretty close - about 3 hours - so no trip to DC has to be all-encompassing for us. Which I'm thankful for! I would probably be pickier on what we do if that were the case. :)

So far all we've done on past visits are the National Museum of Natural History (and right now, the main dinosaur parts are closed, but I think they still have a little bit of dinosaur stuff rotating, just a lot smaller than it was - we liked the NMNH, but won't go back until that part is done, because that was the best part! ;), a little bit of wandering along the National Mall, and the Smithsonian castle. This time we're doing the zoo (our zoo is very different, so I'm looking forward to a change of pace, zoo-wise) and monuments.

I'm thinking about doing the day tickets for some sort of bus or trolley tour that we can just hop off and on whenever. Is there a double decker bus that's open on top? Or is the trolley the best option? Just when it comes to the view... any touristy stuff they may say doesn't really matter to me.

We'll be staying near Capitol Hill, and we'll definitely be using the Metro for everything, because we're not even driving up. :lol: My husband HATES congested traffic areas COUGHroadrageCOUGH and it makes that portion of the trip eyeroll worthy at the least and annoying at best - so we're taking the train. :D

Anyway, have fun!! I'm just taking notes for any future excursions.

ETA: Oh, UGH, the WHOLE REASON I commented and I forgot!! Depending on when you are there in March, the homeschool day at Mt. Vernon may coincide. I think it is March 8. Rates will be lower, with special programming, I'm sure.

Also, I wouldn't recommend Colonial Williamsburg at all. Ever. I live in VA so I say that there is a sort of an obligation, as someone who lives this close, to go there at least once - but for out-of-state-ers, who live nowhere near? Nah. It's not that great or important. It's actually a little bit boring - something that they could do really well with if they just tried a little harder, but it's just not quite there. Kwim? The Jamestown Settlement is much cooler, but tbh, if you're in the DC area I'd do Mt. Vernon instead, homeschool day or not. That should be plenty of Colonial history for the trip.

Lol. Our trip to Jamestown for "homeschool days" made me realize that homeschool days are just the days when no one else wants to go, so they offer a slightly lower rate to try to draw in people. We've never done homeschool days anywhere again since that experience.

My kids' favorites at that age were the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and the Washington Monument. Both require a ticket (free) so you have to plan ahead a little. When we went again this past year their favorites were the National Gallery and the National Cathedral. There is SO MUCH to see. We've been twice and still haven't nearly seen it all.

I'd put Mt. Vernon on the definite list.

The Bureau of printing and engraving tour was our favorite touristy thing. We go about every year, so this year are just doing the building museum, mt Vernon and heading to colonial Williamsburg.

Also, I wouldn't recommend Colonial Williamsburg at all.  Ever.  I live in VA so I say that there is a sort of an obligation, as someone who lives this close, to go there at least once - but for out-of-state-ers, who live nowhere near?  Nah.  It's not that great or important.  It's actually a little bit boring - something that they could do really well with if they just tried a little harder, but it's just not quite there.  Kwim?  The Jamestown Settlement is much cooler, but tbh, if you're in the DC area I'd do Mt. Vernon instead, homeschool day or not.  That should be plenty of Colonial history for the trip.  

Your edit came through after I saw your post the first time!  I am with you 100% about Colonial Williamsburg.  That was one wasted day in my life. So boring, and outrageously expensive.  We did go back a few years later for a Jamestown homeschool day. That was a totally different experience, and despite the 90F and sticky rain, was an enjoyable visit.   But as far as Colonial Williamsburg, I don't get the attraction at ALL.

:)

• Like 1

As I'm looking online at the tours, I'm seeing that many don't allow strollers, backpacks, etc.  What do people do with their stuff?  Are there lockers?  We will be staying in VA, the hotel will shuttle us to the Metro for free, but if I'm away from the hotel all day I'm going to need stuff for my kids.  My 3 year old doesn't really use a stroller anymore, but I'm thinking I will want it for this trip.

Sometimes there are places where you can stash your stuff, but often not.  However, in most places all over the city you can bring backpacks and strollers.  Figure out what you want to do where you can't bring those things and plan them for a time when you can return to your hotel afterward to get your stuff, or just skip those things if it's too much of a hassle right now with little children.  There really is plenty to do in DC even if you can't go up the Washington Monument because of your stroller.

• Like 1