Menu

I'm sad tonight

PinkTulip

Tonight I dropped all of my classes that I was taking at the local community college. Over the weekend, we had some family circumstances arise, and my family needs my 100% focus at home right now. I was in my second semester of taking nursing pre-requisites and attended 2 weeks of Microbiology, Anatomy, and Chemistry this semester. I took 15 hours last semester and got a 4.0. I loved going to school, and was preparing for my first Anatomy test this Friday, but my family needs me, and they are my highest priority. I know I am doing the right thing, and hopefully will be able to go back next fall, but tonight, I am sad.

• Like 11

Its okay to feel sad about that situation!

I'm sorry you're in this situation but with your level of maturity and thoughtfulness you have more than a good chance of succeeding when you do go back.

Will it be possible to self-study the material part time while you are out so that when you go back you can hit the ground running?

Best of luck to you and hoping for speedy progression towards a resolution for any and all circumstances that arise.

Edited by Gil
  • Like 11

Hugs to you.

I like Gil's suggestion above. There's a ton to memorize in anatomy. I think quizlet has a set of anatomy flash cards already programmed. You could also get a detailed human anatomy coloring book and spend time just coloring and getting familiar with where everything is. Either of those can be done in your own time, casually and over the summer, and having that stuff preloaded in your mind may take some of the study pressure off next fall.

You are a good mom.

• Like 9

Tonight I dropped all of my classes that I was taking at the local community college. Over the weekend, we had some family circumstances arise, and my family needs my 100% focus at home right now. I was in my second semester of taking nursing pre-requisites and attended 2 weeks of Microbiology, Anatomy, and Chemistry this semester. I took 15 hours last semester and got a 4.0. I loved going to school, and was preparing for my first Anatomy test this Friday, but my family needs me, and they are my highest priority. I know I am doing the right thing, and hopefully will be able to go back next fall, but tonight, I am sad.

You are not alone.

I understand how sad you are though--it took my own mom like, six years to do a two-year nursing degree. It was a long road. Huge hugs to you. Prioritizing family is not giving up or giving in. It's taking your own road and you will get there eventually. Our oldest graduate at our CC last year... 92.

Write your profs, let them know, and keep on keepin' on.

Family first and everything else in its time.  :grouphug:

• Like 4

I'm sorry. It's perfectly ok to be sad in a situation like this--knowing the right thing to do, and doing it, doesn't mean that it's easy to let go of or put on hold the good things you want to be doing. I hope you're able to go back in the fall.

• Like 1

:grouphug: I'm sorry and yes, as others have said, it's ok to be sad.  You should do yourself a favor and treat yourself to something you like (food, theater tickets, day trip, something - exactly what differs for each person).  You know you're doing the right thing and you CAN continue in the future (fall or otherwise), so let your brain/body have a little reward (with no regrets) for choosing the right thing and marching on through life.  Consider your reward the "start" of your new beginning on Plan B.  You want the start to go well.  Do this after having given yourself a little time to grieve what's been lost (Plan A)  You can even plot something as a reward for when you finish Plan B and get back on track too - something to look forward to on your journey.   :grouphug:

• Like 3

Have you been able to reach out to your professors and the school to tell them what happened?  If you don't just disappear it can make it a lot easier for you when you go back.  If you did tell the registrar why you withdrew, don't assume your teachers were informed.  Email them and tell them. You don't have to be super specific, but just let them know that a family situation arose that needs your total attention, and that you are planning to return in the autumn.

And if you have your books etc keep up with the resources.  

And I am so, so sorry. I would be heartbroken. But, these things happen. I sincerely, truly hope that you don't let this keep you from going back in the fall.

• Like 3

I know how you feel.  Hugs.

I'm sorry. I'm in a similar situation - studied last year, did very well academically but have to take a semester off (due to bad subject scheduling on my part). I'm looking at MOOCs through Coursera and EdX to keep the momentum without the pressure. Have you considered doing something similar?

Edited by nd293