Menu

Amazon Prime shipping speeds?

AmandaVT

I was having a horrible time with Prime since moving to Texas. After they completely screwed the pooch with a TV for my kids, I told them I was going to severely cut back on my spending with them. I guess they didn't believe me. About 2 weeks ago, I received a call asking me about my service. I told them they had started using ground-level shipping for my 2-day packages and 2-day for overnight and nothing was being delivered as promised, so now that I'm in a metro area I simply go to the store instead.

They are no longer using USPS for my packages except for weekend delivery, and my packages are arriving on time again.

• Like 4

We have been having trouble since at least October. They missed delivery dates for things we needed for Halloween. Shipping before Christmas was slow too. I have been really disappointed with their shipping speeds. I think I made the same comment that is coming up here. They are padding the front and back of their shipping with an extra day. Yes, I checked the correct shipping speed and things were from Amazon, etc. They just stink right now. It is faster to go buy things myself now, when I had been ordering from Amazon to avoid making a dozen stops on errand days. They are getting fewer orders from me.

• Like 2

I can only think of one time I had a problem with two day shipping and that was when I ordered a new version of the Kindle Fire. They were back ordered. Other than that my shipments are always on time and sometimes early. I thought when Amazon opened a warehouse in Florida I'd get even faster shipping, but that hasn't been the case. I guess the kinds of things I usually order aren't stocked here. :)

Always look at the guaranteed delivery date. If you get an email with a guaranteed date, you can call them on it. They will either give you a gift card or extend your Prime membership by one month. However, also keep in mind that two day shipping means two days from the day it ships. It does not necessarily mean you'll have it two days from when you order it. Unless, as I said, you have the guaranteed delivery date. 

If you're ordering from a 3rd party seller, you can rate them on shipping time (just don't write it in a review of the product itself).

• Like 2

We're power users too.  I only have problems with postal service deliveries.  This has gotten slightly better since we got a new primary mail carrier, but the old guy ALWAYS took my packages to the wrong address.  ALWAYS.  And we don't have one of those confusing streets, and there are no similarly names streets in town. He would just drop it off at the same house number a couple of streets down. Luckily our little neighborhood is filled with retired people who didn't mind delivering it to us themselves, usually.  This mailman frequently miss-delivered bills too.  Which is why we're now digital for almost every bill.

These days I try to time my orders for the weekend or early Monday so I'm sure to get UPS.

Amazon is shifting their warehouses around though.  We had some extra days of delay when they shut down the warehouse closest to us last fall.  Maybe that happened in your area too.

• Like 1

Always look at the guaranteed delivery date. If you get an email with a guaranteed date, you can call them on it. They will either give you a gift card or extend your Prime membership by one month. However, also keep in mind that two day shipping means two days from the day it ships. It does not necessarily mean you'll have it two days from when you order it. Unless, as I said, you have the guaranteed delivery date.

If you're ordering from a 3rd party seller, you can rate them on shipping time (just don't write it in a review of the product itself).

When I say two days, I'm basing it on what the "get it by" date is before I even order it.

I ordered something yesterday. The get it by date was Thursday. I just got a notification that it's going to be delivered next Monday.

And when I look at that product on the website right now, it says if I order within the next 17 hours I will get it Friday. Hmmm, I don't think so.

• Like 6

So I just checked my last few orders:

One placed on Jan 17th that arrived on the 21st.  This one was supposed to arrive on the 20th, but when it didn't show I logged in to check on it and it said, "Sorry your package is late and will arrive between the 21st and the 23rd, if it doesn't come by then contact us for a replacement or refund."  I had a birthday gift in that one that I needed on the 21st, luckily it made it, but after I ordered it was no longer guaranteed by the 20th like it was when I actually checked out.

Previous order placed on the 6th arrived on the 11th.  Even if I placed it on the evening of the 6th (which is likely, I don't remember) I'm thinking it should show up on Saturday, right?  I mean, USPS counts Saturday as a delivery day.

So I guess it's only the last two.  BUT, that doesn't include the times I just haven't ordered stuff because it said prime eligible, in stock, but won't arrive for a week!  The whole point of me having Prime is so I can order things last minute.

I know it's a first world problem, but I think I need to chat with them and get some kind of something for paying for Prime and not necessarily having it be useful for what I need it for.

• Like 3

I can only think of one time I had a problem with two day shipping and that was when I ordered a new version of the Kindle Fire. They were back ordered. Other than that my shipments are always on time and sometimes early. I thought when Amazon opened a warehouse in Florida I'd get even faster shipping, but that hasn't been the case. I guess the kinds of things I usually order aren't stocked here. :)

The 2 day shipping from the day it ships is what is bothering me. In the past, I've seen items that says something like, "in stock and available for Prime shipping, but requires an extra 1-2 days to process." That doesn't bother me at all, because it is right there and obvious. The items that didn't say it always arrived in 2 days. 

Now, it seems like they added the 1-2 days of processing without stating that. That is what makes me mad. A lot of times, I can't tell until I check out. Occasionally, I have an order that actually gets in here in 2 days, so the normal has switched for me. 

So now, Prime for me usually means 4 days total.

One day shipping means at least 2 days.

I am a huge user of Amazon and have been for years, but I'm seriously considering cancelling. 

ETA: My problems began this month. I don't remember any issues with Christmas presents. 

Edited by Mom23Boys
  • Like 7

However, also keep in mind that two day shipping means two days from the day it ships. It does not necessarily mean you'll have it two days from when you order it. Unless, as I said, you have the guaranteed delivery date.

But that isn't how Prime 2-day started out. It was 2 days from the time you clicked order or possibly the morning after if you're a night shopper. It was fast, reliable, and in line with what they advertised. And consistent.

Until it wasn't. (2014 for me) Now, they advertise shipping times, fail to meet them, have lame excuses for why they failed, and act is if you're crazy for thinking your item would arrive on 'x date' even though the email receipt stated just that date.

A reduction in service and an increase in price for that service is really a poor business model.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 12

I recently order two items. Both were prime two day shipping with the same 'get it by' info.

After the order was complete the items were listed to arrive a week apart. I was curious and via Amazon chat was told it was due to the supply at the center nearest me.

I sort of understand that but wish there was some sort of indication of that immediately. I was ordering a multi pack of something I needed soon and would have gone with a smaller pack if I knew it was quicker.

Stuff showing up so quickly is awesome...I don't mind delays I just want the information up front because it factors in to my decisions.

Our stuff arrives usually via USPS or an Amazon van.

• Like 3

I recently order two items. Both were prime two day shipping with the same 'get it by' info.

After the order was complete the items were listed to arrive a week apart. I was curious and via Amazon chat was told it was due to the supply at the center nearest me.

I sort of understand that but wish there was some sort of indication of that immediately. I was ordering a multi pack of something I needed soon and would have gone with a smaller pack if I knew it was quicker.

Stuff showing up so quickly is awesome...I don't mind delays I just want the information up front because it factors in to my decisions.

Our stuff arrives usually via USPS or an Amazon van.

Exactly.
  • Like 2

But that isn't how Prime 2-day started out. It was 2 days from the time you clicked order or possibly the morning after if you're a night shopper. It was fast, reliable, and in line with what they advertised. And consistent.

Until it wasn't. (2014 for me) Now, they advertise shipping times, fail to meet them, have lame excuses for why they failed, and act is if you're crazy for thinking your item would arrive on 'x date' even though the email receipt stated just that date.

A reduction in service and an increase in price for that service is really a poor business model.

I couldn't agree more.

• Like 2

I placed an order last Tuesday night, everything in stock and prime, and the promised arrival date was Monday (yesterday). That's not 2-day shipping. Of course being placed at night I have to consider it a Wednesday order, but that should make it a Friday arrival. If shipping is pretty much a week instead of two days, we will seriously be considering if Prime is really worth it. Our homeschool days are numbered and we just don't have enough orders to come out ahead on $100 per year.

Ironically, the package came early. Can't remember if it came Friday or Saturday.

• Like 2

I just reviewed my order history to verify my impression, and basically everything I have ordered is still meeting the original 2 day policy. I live in a major city, so I probably have access to a decent supply chain.

The only blips were Christmas of 2014 (sending presents to other states), in which they admitted they were overwhelmed, and once this year, with a package handled by USPS (usually I get it by ups). In the USPS delivery, I ordered Wednesday, they attempted delivery Friday, but the building was locked, so I got a message saying they would attempt another delivery on Tuesday. Not even a Monday holiday. Odd. So I went shopping at Target on Saturday to get what I needed, but then it arrived Saturday anyway.

• Like 1

It was explained to me like this. If it says available for prime it means that product is available for prime. If it says in stock it means that it's in stock, but not necessarily in stock for prime. So, you can buy the product since it's in stock and you can even pay for two day shipping, but if they don't have it in a prime warehouse you will have to wait until it's in stock and then you will get two day shipping. Does that make sense?

That doesn't even make sense.  And I doubt whomever told you that (even if it was an Amazon rep) was being accurate (or clear).

Stuff gets here in 1-2 days.  Often before the "get it by" date.  We get 6-12 Amazon shipments a month.

• Like 2

Exactly, they changed their business model and raised the price. Which is their prerogative - it's a business, they can choose to do what they'd like. My biggest issue at the moment (I'm feeling stubborn about this) is that they refuse to admit they've changed their policies. I've talked to a few different reps both in chat form and on the phone about various orders and they won't admit they've changed. Instead, they act like I'm just not understanding the policy and that it's always been like this. grrr....

• Like 1

I did order a few in-stock prime items today, and they are guaranteeing delivery in 3 days, rather than the normal 2 days. And I ordered before the evening cut off.

According to some articles I just read, there was a definite change in what "prime" means as of a few months ago. Something about letting suppliers identify items as "prime" and sending from non-Amazon locations, and not requiring that they meet the 2 day timeframe.

• Like 1

Exactly, they changed their business model and raised the price. Which is their prerogative - it's a business, they can choose to do what they'd like. My biggest issue at the moment (I'm feeling stubborn about this) is that they refuse to admit they've changed their policies. I've talked to a few different reps both in chat form and on the phone about various orders and they won't admit they've changed. Instead, they act like I'm just not understanding the policy and that it's always been like this. grrr....

Yep. It's the changing and not admitting that had me cancelling when it was up for renewal in 2014. The lame excuses about availability and warehouses, and blah, blah, blah like it had always been like that and I was just "lucky" that the previous several years of two day shipping was reliably 2 days or less. I was a moderately heavy user. Several orders per month, most months.

Amazon is gaslighting their customers. When our free Prime is done, I will not be paying for it. And honestly, I might start looking for other shopping options as well. Amazon is convenient, but it's the principle of it. It doesn't sit well with me that they're doing this to people, still. Over a year later from my initial problems with them.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 3

I have been feeling this way about my Amazon purchases as well. Just now I checked the last thing I ordered. It said Prime and I ordered it on the 22nd. It was shipped on the 24th. I received it on the 25th. It said it was sold by AmazonBasics. I don't know what that is.

I think I once heard that once the package leaves the warehouse, the shipping speed is blamed on the company doing the shipping. Many of my packages are being delivered by USPS. I had another item I ordered on the 18th. It was shipped on the 19th. And I received it on the 22nd.

The main reason I'm ticked off is because 2-day shipping is the only reason I'm a Prime member. I don't use any of their other benefits. It used to be if I bought something on a Monday, I had it on Wednesday. I don't think that is happening anymore. I don't want to drop Prime. I like being able to order something less than $10 and getting free shipping, and especially having it in 2 days. Sometimes I'm too lazy to go to the store so I just order from Amazon. But waiting 4 or more days seems rather stupid.

• Like 3

Yep. It's the changing and not admitting that had me cancelling when it was up for renewal in 2014. The lame excuses about availability and warehouses, and blah, blah, blah like it had always been like that and I was just "lucky" that the previous several years of two day shipping was reliably 2 days or less. I was a moderately heavy user. Several orders per month, most months.

Amazon is gaslighting their customers. When our free Prime is done, I will not be paying for it. And honestly, I might start looking for other shopping options as well. Amazon is convenient, but it's the principle of it. It doesn't sit well with me that they're doing this to people, still. Over a year later from my initial problems with them.

So true - I hadn't thought of it like that! This is why I'm so crabby - Amazon is making me feel like my NPD in laws do! 

• Like 2

And then there are completely random super fast shipping times.  Yesterday I ordered a book to be shipped to my mom in MD.  I picked no rush shipping, expected arrival February 8th.  It shipped today, my $1 credit for picking no rush is on my account, and my mom will receive it tomorrow.  When I bought the book I could've paid an extra $3.99 for February 1st delivery.  I guess they aren't very busy this time of year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the answer I was given today.

"The delay occurred because you have chosen the Group items into as few shipments as possible

This means we will wait for all the items to be collected and then only we ship the items."

I filled a fake cart and saw that the default for multi-item orders is "group items", but there is no mention of that choice negating the guaranteed shipping policy. The rep promised to forward my complaint to the appropriate person.

• Like 1

Okay, it finally happened to me.  Last Thursday evening, I ordered two prime items.  One scheduled to arrive ( and did )  on Saturday,  and one scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  There was no extra time indicated for processing or anything else.  If this is the new normal, I think we'll not renew next year. 

When I say two days, I'm basing it on what the "get it by" date is before I even order it.

I ordered something yesterday. The get it by date was Thursday. I just got a notification that it's going to be delivered next Monday.

And when I look at that product on the website right now, it says if I order within the next 17 hours I will get it Friday. Hmmm, I don't think so.

Yes!!  Amazon's "get it by this date" has been increasingly incorrect.  I noticed the slow down the end of last year with no previous problems.

We do receive Amazon's packages by USPS on Sundays here.  It's not our regular USPS drivers and the Sunday ones seem a little, um, grumpy.  I wish Amazon would be more up front about arrival dates and nix the Sunday delivery altogether!!

Surprisingly we used to not get streaming to work, now it does.  So that's a bonus.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had to make an update because I made an amazon purchase today - item in stock and fulfilled by amazon. Hit order before 9am, today- Wednesday. My earliest available delivery date is next Tuesday! They didn't even give me the option to get one day shipping. At this point, I'd pay a higher yearly rate to get back to the old shipping....

• Like 3

So here's the answer I was given today.

"The delay occurred because you have chosen the Group items into as few shipments as possible

This means we will wait for all the items to be collected and then only we ship the items."

I filled a fake cart and saw that the default for multi-item orders is "group items", but there is no mention of that choice negating the guaranteed shipping policy. The rep promised to forward my complaint to the appropriate person.

Where is the option on how to group things?  Is this a Prime option, or is this something to get the free shipping with a minimum order?

Where is the option on how to group things? Is this a Prime option, or is this something to get the free shipping with a minimum order?

It's when you check out, there's two choices: group into as few shipments as possible or send items as fast as possible (multiple shipments).

I always pick the first one because I don't like the waste of extra packaging unless I really, really need something fast.

We're not paying for Prime anymore, but I just ordered some Prime eligible items. They were "preparing to ship" until the first day of the delivery window, then they shipped and arrived the next day. (delivered by USPS) I guess we are in a good area if I wanted to pay for Prime again.

It's when you check out, there's two choices: group into as few shipments as possible or send items as fast as possible (multiple shipments).

I always pick the first one because I don't like the waste of extra packaging unless I really, really need something fast.

Is this for Prime?  If so, I need to look again because I can't find these options.

It's on the last checkout screen. Small checkbox. I don't know if it's only desktop. I've done it on my computer I know, but I'm not sure from the app.

So weird.  I can't find anything like this at all.

I used to see something like that, before I had Prime, if I wanted the super saving shipping (I think that's what it was called back in the day.)  But I see no grouping options on my prime checkout screen, anywhere.  So strange.

They really have us right where they want us.  We are now getting the same shipping speed that we used to get for free shipping with orders over $25, but now we are paying a large fee for it.  If you order with out prime, it takes a week, so your only option is to pay for prime.  Now you have to spend $50 for the free shipping that takes a week.  

• Like 4

I order from Amazon frequently and am a prime member. I have been hugely disappointed in their shipping speeds and just last week requested a refund of my $99 prime membership fee, which they immediately honored.

The last time I complained about slow shipping, they gave me an additional month of prime membership free. I guess if they keep not honoring their "two day" shipping, I'll keep complaining and then maybe I'll just keep getting free months added on. 

Today's update - item still has not shipped (in stock, direct from Amazon, not a 3rd party, ordered Wednesday morning) but they did charge me right away for it. Delivery estimate still Tuesday morning.

The last time I complained about slow shipping, they gave me an additional month of prime membership free. I guess if they keep not honoring their "two day" shipping, I'll keep complaining and then maybe I'll just keep getting free months added on.

Today's update - item still has not shipped (in stock, direct from Amazon, not a 3rd party, ordered Wednesday morning) but they did charge me right away for it. Delivery estimate still Tuesday morning.

They also gave me the extra month. When the issues persisted, I requested the refund.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there is a limit of 3 times per year that they will add the month on for being late. 

I've placed over 300 orders through Amazon prime in the last 12 months, and I've had 3 or 4 items arrive in late, and then no more than a day.  We have orders arrive on Sundays for over a year as well.  When I use Prime Now, I get things within 2 hours. I wonder why everyone else seems to be having so much trouble.

I've placed over 300 orders through Amazon prime in the last 12 months, and I've had 3 or 4 items arrive in late, and then no more than a day.  We have orders arrive on Sundays for over a year as well.  When I use Prime Now, I get things within 2 hours. I wonder why everyone else seems to be having so much trouble.

Location is my guess? We don't have Prime Now as an option - I wish!! No Sunday delivery either, although my father, in RI gets Sunday deliveries pretty regularly. 

• Like 2

Well, I haven't participated in this thread as I have never had a problem. They give us free shipping even if it isn't two day and that is huge in Alaska. A lot of places refuse to ship to us at all which is weird. It's not we don't have all major carriers working here. 

I just thought of this thread when I got on my Amazon account today and the Pre-Algebra book that I have been waiting for was delivered on Monday. Well, that was confusing until I looked at the address. My address was correct on the computer but the tracking said delivered, "Miami, FL". Yeah, you can't get off much more than Florida from Alaska can you? Sadly, the pre-algebra took a vacation without us.  

• Like 1